Author Topic: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread  (Read 89878 times)

Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »
Since there isn't a thread to collect the inevitable reviews coming in, I thought I'd start one.

Let's start with a repost of a review most of you have probably read already: https://www.rich-wilson.com/

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Official "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:36 PM »
For those that can't see it on the site:

Quote from:  Rich Wilson
A Dramatic Turn Of Events - Review

With an album title that only hints at the unbridled chaos that has engulfed Dream Theater’s world over the last year, this first album without drummer Mike Portnoy is a pivotal moment in the band’s twenty six year history. With an expectant fan base, Dream Theater quite simply had to deliver a “classic” Dream Theater album. If they moved too far away from their blueprint, or stacked the album with “filler”, they would be immediately be castigated for letting Portnoy leave in the way he did and for rebuffing his attempt to rejoin the band a few weeks later. The central reason Portnoy cited for his departure was that he felt that the band had become stale and that they needed an extended break to recharge. Put simply, he felt that if the band were to survive, something needed to change in order for them to create truly special albums once again. The ultimate irony here is that by leaving, Portnoy has provided that spark, and indeed Dream Theater have returned with a fresh and frankly stunning album in A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

For all the drama of the acrimonious split and the bitterness that is understandably still evident on both sides, eventually it comes down to the music. And no matter which side of the argument your loyalties lie, it’s the music that the band will ultimately be judged on. The most startling aspect of this album is the vigour with which the band have applied themselves. The attention to detail is noticeable – both in the songwriting, the production and the mix – with all members of the band (including the normally reserved John Myung) contributing strong melodies and lyrical concepts. Keyboard player Rudess has talked of how he would write sections to fit snugly around John Petrucci’s riffs, and this careful craftsmanship has provided a fresh edge to the album’s sound that at times is spiritually reminiscent of such standout albums as Images And Words or Scenes From A Memory. Progressive metal as a genre has a sliding scale between the two poles, and the material here veers more towards the prog, which many would say was no bad thing. The growling vocals have vanished to be replaced with typically complex DT musicality and countless melodies, and critically the album is not immediately gratifying, and requires several listens in order to fully grasp exactly what the band have achieved here.

Build Me Up, Break Me Down contains some epic riffs, along with a incredibly catchy chorus, and the same can be said of Lost Not Forgotten – the finale of which has some truly blistering interplay between Rudess and Petrucci. Such a description could be viewed as being Dream-Theater-By-Numbers, but that would be missing the point. This is the sound of a band having fun, playing to their strengths and infusing their sound with an energetic new edge without at any point resorting to prog metal cliché. It’s also easy to fall into the trap of viewing the lyrical content of the album as perhaps hinting at their recent turmoil, and This Is The Life falls into that category. With lines such as “Some of us choose to live gracefully/ Some can get caught in the maze and lose their way home/ This is the life we belong to” reading almost like a revised mission statement, it remains one of the most wonderfully tranquil pieces of music the band have ever created, and the searing guitar solo is on a par with Dave Gilmour in his pomp. The same can be said of the similarly mellow Beneath The Surface, which is another beautifully constructed song that’s propelled by a string section.

Harking back to Scenes From A Memory, Outcry contains the type of musical dexterity that drove The Dance Of Eternity but is combined with a striking vocal melody. Similarly engaging is Bridges In The Sky, even if the unexpected sound of an Aboriginal battle cry that opens the track does sound a touch like The Simpson’s Barney Gumble cracking out a hearty burp down in Moe’s Tavern. Far From Heaven is another lilting, heartfelt piano led track that provides a continued balance to the album. Perhaps the most audible contrast with previous albums (and no doubt for the DT hardcore the most widely anticipated song) is Breaking All Illusions which contains John Myung’s first foray into lyric writing for many a year. It also showcases Myung’s talent as a bass player – which many have claimed has been left in the background in the recent past – and it’s a pleasure to hear him so prominent in the mix once again.

Ultimately, this is a breathtaking album that Dream Theater fans will adore. It’s just such a crying shame that it took such cataclysmic change within the band for them to create it.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »
Based on reviews, my excitement for the eight new songs to come goes as:

Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Outcry
This is the Life
Lost Not Forgotten
Breaking All Illusions
Beneath the Surface
Bridges in the Sky
Far From Heaven

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:48 AM »
Excitement ranking:

1. Breaking All Illusions
2. Beneath The Surface
3. This is the Life
4. Far From Heaven
5. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
6. Lost Not Forgotten
7. Bridges in the Sky
8. Outcry
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:15:26 AM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:14:40 AM »
Excitement ranking:

1. Breaking All Illusions
2. Bridges in the Sky
3. Beneath the Surface
4. Outcry
5. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
6. This is the Life
7. Far From Heaven
8. Lost Not Forgotten

Offline Hayden

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:17:28 AM »
I think the track I'm most looking forward to would have to be "Lost Not Forgotten" at this stage, purely for the line in the Rich's interview reading 'the finale of which has some truly blistering interplay between Rudess and Petrucci.' This gives me the idea that it could be a little "Fatal Tragedy"-esque, which can only be a good thing for me, as that song features such an incredible instrumental outtro which I feel is yet to be topped by the band.

However, his comparison to "Dance of Eternity" has gotten me almost equally excited for "Outcry".

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:18:25 AM »
'the finale of which has some truly blistering interplay between Rudess and Petrucci.' This gives me the idea that it could be a little "Fatal Tragedy"-esque, which can only be a good thing for me, as that song features such an incredible instrumental outtro which I feel is yet to be topped by the band.
That gives me the idea that it's gonna be another ANTR/AROP thing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Hayden

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 03:21:17 AM »
That gives me the idea that it's gonna be another ANTR/AROP thing.
Both of which I enjoy immensely anyway, so I have very little reason to worry.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:41:06 AM »
I think the track I'm most looking forward to would have to be "Lost Not Forgotten" at this stage, purely for the line in the Rich's interview reading 'the finale of which has some truly blistering interplay between Rudess and Petrucci.' This gives me the idea that it could be a little "Fatal Tragedy"-esque,

That would be the best-case scenario. The worst-case scenario, clearly, would result in something similar to the last minute of This Dying Soul.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Nimitzion

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:30 AM »
My most awaited and anticipated track has got to be "Far from Heaven".

Huge sucker for any DT  "piano lead track"

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:55:29 AM »
My most awaited and anticipated track has got to be "Far from Heaven".

Huge sucker for any DT  "piano lead track"

Should be a nice one... Sounds like it could be similar to VACANT!

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:03 AM »
This seems interesting. I agree with the "stale" comment particularly  Systematic Chaos.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 03:58:02 AM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 05:01:16 AM »
I hate the fact that anno 2011 a early review autom. means an early leak :sad:

the review itself...well i dont know the only thing which i find interestting is that part of the lyrics he provided.
the rest can be all thumbsucking info IMO. it's not much a review actually....
what does ..contains epic riffs..... mean? that doesn't say anything.
i hope for some better track by track reviews, this is nothing more than a nice warmup to get all hyped up for the release of the new album. great to have a thread for this!
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:13:58 AM »
Is "The Shamans Trance" still a track on the new album??  no review of it.

I also noticed the track missing on the roadrunner preorder site for the CD only order.  Strange coincidence?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 05:14:40 AM »

I also noticed the track missing on the roadrunner preorder site for the CD only order.  Strange coincidence?
It was renamed to Bridges in the Sky.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:43 AM »

It was renamed to Bridges in the Sky.

Thank you.  I wasnt aware of that

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 05:26:37 AM »
Review ain't great and should be taken with a massive pinch of salt given who wrote it. It's pretty cryptic and underwhelmingly written, tbh. Will wait and see when review start emerging from the mass heavy metal/rock media in a couple of weeks or so.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21:28 AM »
A new review from a Greek website (in Greek, so i hope google translate works well) https://rocking.gr/reviews/album/Dream_Theater_-_A_Dramatic_Turn_Of_Events/3662/

I will try to post a translation of the text later.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »
Translation for the above. (Through Google Translate)

A dramatic twist or maybe just a change of the times? Anyway in reality, this is the most discussed album ever released by the leaders of the progressive metal, Dream Theater. After a series of events that have been fully explained, first presented without their natural leader, drummer Mike Portnoy Mike Mangini to take the heavy burden of his replacement. For those closely following the progress of the band's new job is a great enigma, as the final word on that hitherto had by Portnoy and many think it is a prime challenge for others to prove that they are doing without him . I really thought that musicians like Petrucci, a Myung, Rudess, or the even the Labrie have reason to prove their worth or their ability?

At this point is the big winner of this album. The album is gaining substance and impressions, not as a result of sophistication demonstration or sensationalism, but as a natural consequence of the quality of the work of musicians who make up the band. The "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is an excellent album with continued hearings do not leave room for doubt on this, as the playing and compositions contained therein breaks every disbelief. What we find in the new album? Dense and robustness, many inspired ideas, regardless of length compositions hold their consistency as well as some small-but significant-enough differences from the recent past and recent recordings of the band.

Initially, the production seems ideal, but will not miss anyone absence of (growl) voice of Portnoy, as well, just as positive can be characterized by the abandonment of sci-fi themes in the lyrics with a shift to a more human-centered issues. In addition, you will not hear in the songs Metallica, Tool, Muse signs or any other influence adhere, only Dream Theater, while the Rudess seems to have stopped the experiments with the keytar solo or iphone and has regained full range sounds that will remind many fans cheering because the statement of membership in the band. But not crazy, there is no great return of Dream Theater that many will try to sell, and never left the limelight to return, never did discount vision and their quality, just the new album aside the information puzzled a significant portion of their followers, focusing on those for which loved more.

On the other hand, this involves a large trap that may work slightly inhibitory, and the album feels like the safe choice on some levels, and many structures are embedded in older songs, not too long or unattractive, but marked as an approach not characterized them as a band ever. Possibly the fact that from the most commercially successful album of their career to be an important and substantial justification, but the course of Dream Theater has always been full of risks, surprises and records whether liked or not ultimately give them a separate identity. Remember how every few risks taken from the "Scenes From A Memory" in "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", in "Train Of Thought" and "Octavarium". Here you will find a special surprise, a novel or a risk to the 9 songs and 77 minutes duration of the album, but you will find lots of music, ie a lot of stuff.

The "On The Back Of Angels" has been quite some time now, without anything particularly impressive, beautifully opens the disc, being partly characteristic of the style of the album, with the theme played by Petrucci to the bridge apart. The "Bring Me Up, Break Me Down" is "commercial" song of the album with an introduction reminiscent of Linkin Park (!) Bringing to mind a more heavy and prog version of "These Walls" and featuring the most catchy refrain on the album and probably will and choice of company for a possible video. The "Lost, Not Forgotten" is probably the most heavy song, pressing between "Train Of Thought" and "Scenes From A Memory", dynamic, with a straight character and the first orgies. The "This Is The Life" is the first ballad, with lyrics dealing with several personal choices that make everyone's life, while referring to the slight sound of "Sacrified Sons", with plenty of piano and emotional solos do Petrucci difference. The "Bridges In The Sky" and "Outcry" below are two 11lepta prog epics, which will find all the elements that have made the great Theater. Amazing harmonies, great instrumental parts, oriental scales, very beautiful chorus in the first and second transitions, and very concise interpretations by Labrie.

Of course, the pioneers are the Petrucci and near his Rudess, in kresenta inspiration that will bring even Liquid Tension Experiment oases in the eyes of most observational. The second ballad of the album, the "Far From Heaven" is a four-minute song with piano and voice in which the personal lyrics, written in first person, perhaps sent to Portnoy. Music is not as simplistic as Vacant, nor the logic of "Answer Lies Within" or "Wither", presenting a more prog logic and a very expressive interpretation. The "Breaking All Illusions" is the song that will stand out rather easily among fans, being provocative prog, inspiring and lasting changes, and stamped Myung, who mobilized to contribute to the alliance. Maybe some points "clicked" a little more to the logic of "Learning To Live", but ultimately to 12 minutes of standing as a prominent self-luminous composition. The album closes with the third in a series of ballad, which is a relaxed easy listening song, which the Petrucci is primarily intended for personal use, but eventually was used to close the album with a tendency to melancholy, while quite beautiful, and not sensational.

Every heard of the disk can be approached from a different side of focusing on what is offered unilaterally by each member, as Dream Theater had never superficial crisis than anyone, which is a blessing and curse them. In this logic, that Petrucci is once again gripping in many ways, the Rudess doing better overall appearance for many years, Myung shows more active than the recent past and Labrie show really concise explanations, avoiding the contortions voice. Finally, Mangini is flawless in performance, blends very well with others, highlights the instrumental parts and makes his absence to Portnoy seems as painless as possible, filling the gap dramatically, a vacuum of things we know will not meet never fully.

For if "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" would be quality I had great doubt, but that is so good I am delighted, as the exodus of Portnoy seemed to bring the band at a crossroads without a leader and hence no orientation . Leaving the Portnoy took with him the details of the nature of the band, namely the stubbornness, the genius, the opadismo and megalomania. This results in the disk than in the past to stand up without touching peaks, but no trace of low flying or weak points. Attention, however, to those who will speak on the level "Images And Words", "Awake" or "Scenes From A Memory", since such comparisons conceal a cheap marketing and irrelevance surrounding the history of this great band.

Finally, after what happened in "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" is seen as a great victory for Dream Theater, worthy of high status who have achieved all these years and their quality. They seem to balance again between progressive and metal and reinvested in lyricism. And if in the middle got nightmares, we did not stop everyone to love this great band to continue to dream ...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:42:23 AM by DejaVu »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »
Myung, who mobilized to contribute to the alliance

:metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
with a straight character and the first orgies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 07:13:26 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 07:20:54 AM »

This results in the disk than in the past to stand up without touching peaks, but no trace of low flying or weak points.

Basically, Awake.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
This review rises a question: can an album be great without great peaks (but with no weak points as well)?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
This review rises a question: can an album be great without great peaks (but with no weak points as well)?

Possibly. I think there's a lot to be said for consistency. Low points can quickly drag an album down from good to bad. Although that might be considered "good" rather than "great".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »

musicians like Petrucci, a Myung, Rudess, or the even the Labrie

I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »

Totally agree with the  :metal but I also went  :rollin

Sounds so serious and militaristic, but I love that description1 I really hope "Breaking All Illusions" is as epic and wonderful as people say it is, probably the track I am looking forward to most, with "Far From Heaven" right behind it. Actually the last 3 tracks are what intrigue me the most!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
I'm excited for every single song because they all have outstanding names!

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Get ready to add another to the pantheon of Myung written epics.

Learning to Live
Trial of Tears
Breaking All Illusions

Maybe.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »

In short, no. That's the space reserved for good albums. Great albums are critically and publicly acclaimed and stand the test of time.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
Review ain't great and should be taken with a massive pinch of salt given who wrote it. It's pretty cryptic and underwhelmingly written, tbh. Will wait and see when review start emerging from the mass heavy metal/rock media in a couple of weeks or so.

Looking forward to your review with baited breath . . .

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

Rich, I appreciate the time you took to write your review. Unfortunately, you can't expect good manners on the internet.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »

It'll be in here when I hear it. Opinions my own.

EDIT: just to clarify, I think it's perfectly fine to take a review with a pinch of salt when the band's official biographer wrote it. That's not to say it's biased, but it's not the most neutral source if you get what I mean. And by underwhelmingly written, the review didn't make me want to run out and pre-order it, nor did it make me write it off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:35:49 AM by Chrissalix »

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

He used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!