The Benefits of Home Ownership?

Started by Skeever, April 07, 2015, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on May 30, 2024, 05:36:05 AM
Yeah I hope the cost wasn't too much over budget, but it looks like the craftsmanship was certainly all there. I love that look.

He increased it by almost 50% after working on it. Granted, his starting prices was significantly lower than another estimate so even wtih the added cost we are still way under what that contractor asked for. 

I think what happened, my gf's parents used him to do their step and her Dad negotiated with him to give us both a better price and he could do both houses.  He agreed and then adjusted it back.  THis is one of the reasons why Im not happy with him.  But like I said, the work looks good and the price still overall was good, I'm just not a fan of the guy himself.

Also, we went a bit over budget with the bricks, but that was a choice because those bricks look really nice and worth the extra $500 I think instead of something more basic.  (that was not included in the 50% mentioned earlier, another part of our deal was we'd buy everything and just pay them for the work)

Still got to figure out the railing though.  I think we may not end up using this guy to install it because it seems some railing makers will install it as part of the purchase. 

Cool Chris

Wait... Did you have a contract? Has my boss been doing things wrong for 20+ years by adhering to contractual terms agreed upon by both parties?
Maybe the grass is greener on the other side because you're not over there fucking it up.

cramx3

Quote from: Cool Chris on May 30, 2024, 09:14:22 AM
Wait... Did you have a contract? Has my boss been doing things wrong for 20+ years by adhering to contractual terms agreed upon by both parties?

My "contractor" is being paid cash :lol

King Postwhore

So, I got the call Thursday that my transmission went on my ride on lawnmower. $1,300.00 to repair.   Nope, going to purchase a new one for $2,100.00 today.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

Good luck King!

I bought my first ever grill. My FIL is going to show me the ropes next Sunday. I got a cheaper propane one and once it gets its wear and tear and I know how to use it well, I plan to get a much nicer one.
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on June 01, 2024, 04:54:15 AM
So, I got the call Thursday that my transmission went on my ride on lawnmower. $1,300.00 to repair.   Nope, going to purchase a new one for $2,100.00 today.

Is your yard that big?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

I have an acre so it takes me less time with a ride on. Awe hell, I went big. 42 inch radius and a bagger. 3 grand.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Orbert

When it comes to yard machinery, bigger is better.  :tup

TAC

Quote from: King Postwhore on June 01, 2024, 11:27:21 AM
I have an acre so it takes me less time with a ride on. Awe hell, I went big. 42 inch radius and a bagger. 3 grand.
Oh OK. I don't know why but I didn't realize it was that big.

:neverusethis:
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

Your ass should have recognized that.

TAC

It was a little uncomfortable at first.

King Postwhore

hefdaddy42

Our washing machine went out.  Had a guy come out to take a look.  He said he could fix it, but the problem would come up again, certainly within a year or two, and the price to just buy the newest version of our model wasn't much more than what his bill would have been.

So we got a new washing machine.  Yay!
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

jingle.boy

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 06, 2024, 06:45:24 AM
Our washing machine went out.  Had a guy come out to take a look.  He said he could fix it, but the problem would come up again, certainly within a year or two, and the price to just buy the newest version of our model wasn't much more than what his bill would have been.

So we got a new washing machine.  Yay!

That's happened to us twice in the last 5 years, and the third washer (under warranty) had to have 3 service calls to properly fix it.   :angry:
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

hefdaddy42

Quote from: jingle.boy on June 06, 2024, 07:44:05 AM
That's happened to us twice in the last 5 years, and the third washer (under warranty) had to have 3 service calls to properly fix it.   :angry:
>:(
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

We need a new dryer.  Ours is getting up there in age and drying as well. 

cramx3

Quote from: King Postwhore on June 06, 2024, 07:59:53 AM
We need a new dryer.  Ours is getting up there in age and drying as well.

This is approaching for me as well.

Both my dryer and my fridge came with my house almost 11 years ago.  The fridge seems to be in decent shape still, but the dryer is definitely struggling more and more to do its job well.

Stadler

I get it, it's a drier, but you guys are going to be amazed at what's available now. 

King Postwhore

We just got a new fridge and a portable dishwasher.

Grappler

Quote from: cramx3 on June 06, 2024, 08:45:41 AM
This is approaching for me as well.

Both my dryer and my fridge came with my house almost 11 years ago.  The fridge seems to be in decent shape still, but the dryer is definitely struggling more and more to do its job well.

Have you pulled the dryer away from the wall, disconnected the vent and vacuumed the vent out?  Driers will work a lot better if you keep the vent clear of lint, and it reduces the risk of a fire. 

I try to clean mine once every year or two.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Stadler on June 06, 2024, 08:55:29 AM
I get it, it's a drier, but you guys are going to be amazed at what's available now.
What do you mean?  Like a combo?  Dries your undies and cooks a pizza at the same time?

cramx3

Quote from: Grappler on June 06, 2024, 09:23:11 AM
Have you pulled the dryer away from the wall, disconnected the vent and vacuumed the vent out?  Driers will work a lot better if you keep the vent clear of lint, and it reduces the risk of a fire. 

I try to clean mine once every year or two.

Yeah, but it needs to be done again to give it some more life

Stadler

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 06, 2024, 09:31:47 AM
What do you mean?  Like a combo?  Dries your undies and cooks a pizza at the same time?

Okay, maybe you won't be all that surprised.  :) :) :)

I grew up with the concept that a drier was a tin box that sounded like the intro to Deep Purple's "Fireball" every time you fired it up, and an hour and a half later you got moderately drier clothes. In many instances, the drier would be a foot to the right and about six inches in front of where it started when you pressed the button.

Now, you program your shit in, invariably the first couple times you will lean down to listen to see if it's actually working, and in less than a half an hour in some cases, you have dry clothes that smell as fresh as a lilac in summer.

Cool Chris

Quote from: Stadler on June 06, 2024, 10:26:05 AM
Now, you program your shit in, invariably the first couple times you will lean down to listen to see if it's actually working, and in less than a half an hour in some cases, you have dry clothes that smell as fresh as a lilac in summer.

"Now" as in "the past 30 years?" What kind of appliances were you buying?  :)

Yes, everyone, clean your dryer venting regularly.
Maybe the grass is greener on the other side because you're not over there fucking it up.

Puppies_On_Acid

When my wife and I bought the house we are in now 9 years ago, we purchased a new washer and dryer set. We went with the next step down from the top of the line LG front loader units. Haven't had a single issue with them, 9 years and counting. Our dishwasher and stove both had to be replaced about 5 years ago, but those were the ones that came with the house.
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your inbox is full.
Quote from: ReaperKK on August 29, 2024, 06:42:26 PMthat distractingly handsome son of a bitch is gonna make it hard
Quote from: Drunk TACThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

I had a guy do the dryer vent last summer. He said it should be done every 2 years or so, depending on factors.

I changed the flappers in 2 of my toilets today. They were leaking and the water bill tripled in price. Wasn't too hard once I figured out how to get the correct length on the chain.
\o\ lol /o/

Grappler

Quote from: Jamesman42 on June 06, 2024, 07:11:09 PM
I changed the flappers in 2 of my toilets today. They were leaking and the water bill tripled in price. Wasn't too hard once I figured out how to get the correct length on the chain.

I did that 2-3 times at my old house on each of the toilets.  A family member who is a plumber put a new gasket on the flush valve, but the leak came back over time.  I would just change out the flush valve completely.

Once, I was changing the flush valve and snapped the old, brittle plastic on the flush handle.  Had to go back to the store and buy a universal kit to fix that.  Another time, I did something to the fill valve on accident and had to replace both the flush valve and the fill valve.  That day sucked, with a ton of trips back and forth to the store.   :lol

Cool Chris

This reminds me of something I repeatedly find strange on several of our remodeling projects. Many clients will spend $30k minimum to remodel their bathrooms, usually closer to $40k and up. We will tear out and replace everything. But they will want to keep the toilet. A new toilet will run ~$250, which, on a $30-40k project is minimal. If literally everything in the bathroom is new, wouldn't you splurge for a new toilet?

jingle.boy

The flush valves in my toilets were running like 2+ minutes to refill the reservoir a year or so ago, and the flow of water was LOUD.  REplaced those things for like $15 each, and it's dead silent and takes about 30 seconds to refill now.

I hear ya Chris.  We kept our old toilets - there was nothing wrong with them - had a two-stage flow, so we just re-used them.  We had to replace the bathroom toilet (jingle.son accidentally flushed his airpods, and they got stuck in the drain assembly of the toilet.  The new toilet is crap - terrible flow, and you have to hold the button down to get the flush going.

Sometimes newer =/= better.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Stadler

Quote from: Cool Chris on June 06, 2024, 08:40:52 PM
This reminds me of something I repeatedly find strange on several of our remodeling projects. Many clients will spend $30k minimum to remodel their bathrooms, usually closer to $40k and up. We will tear out and replace everything. But they will want to keep the toilet. A new toilet will run ~$250, which, on a $30-40k project is minimal. If literally everything in the bathroom is new, wouldn't you splurge for a new toilet?

I'm kind of the opposite; I move into a house that has any age to it, and I pretty quickly change out the toilets.  I kind of want to know that I know all of the asses that have sat on that seat.  :) :) :)

(I have a thing about old tubs, too; I see movies where people are sitting in dirty tubs and it really creeps me out, bad.)

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on June 07, 2024, 05:56:24 AM
I'm kind of the opposite; I move into a house that has any age to it, and I pretty quickly change out the toilets.  I kind of want to know that I know all of the asses that have sat on that seat.  :) :) :)

(I have a thing about old tubs, too; I see movies where people are sitting in dirty tubs and it really creeps me out, bad.)

Could also just change the seats, that's what I did. The toilets in my house are the same from when I bought it.  My main bathroom will be due for a gutting in the coming years, I'd probably get a new one then if we do that.

Orbert

Without getting into too much graphic detail, I'll just say that we learned that there's actually a reason why some toilets cost a couple hundred, and some cost upwards of a thousand (or more!)  After we moved in, we replaced ours with a couple of relatively inexpensive ones from Home Depot, had them installed by pros (which cost more than the toilets themselves, but whatever) and figured we were good.  We then learned that there's a difference in "flushing power".  Those expensive ones pack a bit more punch, and are less likely to clog, more likely to move everything out that's supposed to.  Just something to think about.

King Postwhore

Stadler

Beautiful. I'm a fan of the Craftsman equipment, even now.

I like how it needs a brush bar on the front!! :)

King Postwhore

Ready to ram people with it.  LOL