News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Why did JLB say "wow"? Song Nugget in "S2N"

Started by TheHoveringSojourn808, July 17, 2024, 12:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHoveringSojourn808

Hey y'all, today I'm bringing you a nugget from the bowels of the DT catalog.

Now you all may already know but I'm not the biggest fan of the MM era, but I have challenged myself to continually give their MM era tunes a chance and that's where today's story begins. I was swimming in the pool listening to Distance Over Time and during S2N I caught what I believe to be a JLB related nugget during the song.

Now, if you cue the song up to the timestamp when the music briefly pauses around 3:59-4:00 for the third time before it jumps back into the last chorus you can hear, VERY VERY briefly, what sounds like someone going "Wow". Now, I believe this is JLB's voice (it sounds more like him than anyone else, and he was already singing the song anyway so coincidentally it seems true to me)

Now, for the fun part. What does it mean? I've got a few ideas and this is where maybe the thread can take off and we can have some fun guessing what JLB is so excited about in the song

- JLB saying "wow" because he is so impressed with the precision and technicality of the band as they come to a crashing halt three times before it is his turn to sing again
- JLB saying "wow" because knows the band will likely never play this song live (They still haven't) even though he is diggin' the tune
- JLB saying "wow" because deep down he knows their time with MM is nearing its end and he is just at a loss for words otherwise. Maybe he is also excited about MP's return in just six years' time?

What other possible reasons do you think JLB said "wow"? Let's hear 'em!

brakkum

The Letter M

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

DT05

Who do you think said the word 'wow' then, The Letter M? Or do you deny the wow on the recording?
Half of my posts are satire; the other half are serious. If you can't tell which half you're looking at, it's probably the former. I enjoy busting chops amongst likeminded fellows. Where better to feel at home than among the fans of the world's most fun band? :)

DT05

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on July 17, 2024, 12:47:11 PM:lol

Yeah, that's not JLB saying Wow.  It's Owen Wilson.

Weirdly I always thought Luke Wilson had a James LaBrie-like quality about his voice and face.
Half of my posts are satire; the other half are serious. If you can't tell which half you're looking at, it's probably the former. I enjoy busting chops amongst likeminded fellows. Where better to feel at home than among the fans of the world's most fun band? :)

The Letter M

TheHoveringSojourn808

That's just a fourth possibility

- JLB said "wow" because he thought it was funny when Owen Wilson did it.

Now I kinda doubt it's really Owen Wilson on the recording, unless he was in the studio with DT. So maybe James was just quoting him

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 17, 2024, 12:57:33 PMThat's just a fourth possibility

- JLB said "wow" because he thought it was funny when Owen Wilson did it.

Now I kinda doubt it's really Owen Wilson on the recording, unless he was in the studio with DT. So maybe James was just quoting him
It's Owen Wilson.  It's a sample of Owen Wilson.  It's not JLB.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Setlist Scotty

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on July 17, 2024, 01:12:31 PMIt's Owen Wilson.  It's a sample of Owen Wilson.  It's not JLB.
Yeah but DT *never* samples from movies so what do you know?!
Quote from: BlobVanDam on November 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PMAs a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.
Quote from: TAC on July 10, 2024, 08:26:41 AMPOW is awesome! :P

PMSummer

Maybe he said wow because MM presented him with a burger during recording

efx

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on July 17, 2024, 01:47:37 PMYeah but DT *never* samples from movies so what do you know?!

Wow, now I feel like Awake has been one big lie..
My new single Retro/Active: [url="https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317"]https://open.spotify.com/track/3iQoVlyVYG9e8w7wPZweNi?si=131917e0c9d74317[/url]

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: Setlist Scotty on July 17, 2024, 01:47:37 PMYeah but DT *never* samples from movies so what do you know?!

They sampled stuff for Awake

But yeah, I suppose this could be a sample too. Though a sample of Owen Wilson saying "wow" is honestly the most boring explanation lmao. Why did they even put it in then?

Schurftkut

they didn't have MP to hit a Bell cymbal, that's why.

TheBarstoolWarrior

lol it does not even remotely sound like JLB's voice
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 17, 2024, 02:19:52 PMBut yeah, I suppose this could be a sample too. Though a sample of Owen Wilson saying "wow" is honestly the most boring explanation lmao. Why did they even put it in then?
It is the only explanation, because it is the truth. 

Why? Because it's funny. 

Lonk

Wow, I just noticed that Octavarium mentions Owen Wilson by name!

TAC

I just noticed this thread isn't locked.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

Has anyone noticed that Scenes from a Memory is part 2 of Metropolis?

DT05

Has anyone realized that The Shattered Fortress has a bunch of melodies from other songs? I wonder if they're related

wolfking

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 17, 2024, 02:19:52 PMThey sampled stuff for Awake

But yeah, I suppose this could be a sample too. Though a sample of Owen Wilson saying "wow" is honestly the most boring explanation lmao. Why did they even put it in then?

Why the fuck not?

nobloodyname

Quote from: Schurftkut on July 17, 2024, 02:38:10 PMthey didn't have MP to hit a Bell cymbal, that's why.

Heh! I wonder which song on the new album will contain that signature move?
"I'm not just liking Dream Theater to get in your pants."

CraftyCaleb2483

"Frustration is frustratingly frustrating."
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: Lonk on July 17, 2024, 06:20:28 PMWow, I just noticed that Octavarium mentions Owen Wilson by name!
Yeah, that's the first thing I was thinking when I was reading this post, 'does this nugget have any reference to Octavarium?'
"From experience, I know that a squishy ripe mango is about as squishy as a ripe mango."

CraftyCaleb2483

Quote from: KevShmev on July 17, 2024, 07:29:36 PMHas anyone noticed that Scenes from a Memory is part 2 of Metropolis?
:lol
Quote from: DT05 on July 17, 2024, 08:05:54 PMHas anyone realized that The Shattered Fortress has a bunch of melodies from other songs? I wonder if they're related
???  :lol

Dream Team

Guys, don't fall for his shtick. He knows it's Owen Wilson. Just more spam for breakfast.

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on July 17, 2024, 05:44:16 PMIt is the only explanation, because it is the truth.

Why? Because it's funny.

I was only laughing when I thought it was JLB

Quote from: wolfking on July 17, 2024, 08:23:02 PMWhy the fuck not?

It'd be funnier if it was our guy James

Lax

Mike portnoy's bell in liquid tension experiment !  :hefdaddy