Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Evermind

The album is scheduled to be released in early 2016, weird they would do an EP now without announcing anything. I'm not sure this information is reliable.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

cramx3

Evermind

It's on their Facebook.

QuoteJORN TO JOIN AVANTASIA AGAIN

"It is with great pleasure that I can announce the Beast From The North to join forces with Avantasia once again. The STRIKING VIKING: Jorn Lande! We've just finished his vocal recordings and he sounds - what a surprise - KILLER! Jorn is a monster! It is with even greater pleasure to let you know that Jorn is gonna do the world tour next year, kicking off in March! AVANTASIA LIVE - 3hours every night, from the Metal Opera to the new album Ghostlights. We'll be an epic line up and we'll deliver an epic show. Check tourdates at avantasia.net and get your tickets before we sell out!

Stay tuned & cheerz, Tobi"

Hey, I'm not complaining, Jorn is always good, but I hope Tobi will get Biff Byford again. And I really hope they'll announce some Russian tour dates.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

cramx3

Sweet that he is going to tour with them too, I'd love to see them release another Blu-Ray of this tour since I doubt they come to the US

Lowdz

wolfking

jingle.boy

Quote from: Avantasia FacebookJanuary AVANTASIA's 7th studio album "GHOSTLIGHTS" will hit the stores. After Jorn Lande another guest star can be announced: Former QUEENSRYCHE-, and now OPERATION MINDCRIME vocalist GEOFF TATE!
Tobias comments: "I am proud to announce a very special guest today: Mr. Geoff Tate! I have been fortunate enough to meet many amazing classic Metal vocalists. Whenever we've talked about our influence as vocalists the name Geoff Tate was brought up. Throughout his incredible career of more than 30 years Geoff has constantly explored new territory as an artist and vocalist, while he has always managed to maintain this distinctive signature vocal sound that makes him stand out. His contribution sounds nothing but amazing, and you will immediately know why the man had such a huge impact on vocalists and fans around the globe! Enchanting, unique, amazing, progressive in the purest sense of the word! Thank you for joing the Avantasia family, Geoff Tate!"

At least the music will be good.  Maybe Tobi can remove all of Tate's flaws in production.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Bolsters

Bolsters™

Evermind

Quote from: jingle.boy on September 11, 2015, 08:27:53 AM

At least the music will be good.  Maybe Tobi can remove all of Tate's flaws in production.

My reaction exactly.

bl5150

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Deathless

Lol, I know a lot of people still worship Tate but to read reviews and comments like Tobi's about how great and epic etc his vocals still are...  ::)

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Evermind

You know, this Geoff Tate thing reminds me of a joke at official Edguy and Avantasia fan-forums few years ago. It went like:

QuoteAvantasia is going to release another album, and here's the lineup!

Tobias Sammet - vocals
Michael Kiske - vocals
Kai Hansen - vocals & guitars
Andi Deris - vocals (don't worry, he only speaks the introduction)

I'm hoping Tate only speaks the introduction too, seriously. :angel:

Ben_Jamin

Tates highs aren't great anymore. But if Tobias had him use his lower register then I'm fine with it.

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Lowdz

Oh dear. At least the songwriting will be better than he's had for a long while, but his voice is a mere shadow of its prior greatness.
Don't know what to think but but its more dread than exciting.

wolfking

jingle.boy

cramx3

I'm fine with it. It's a different vocalist and maybe he's only on one song and it's a song that suits him. I'll hold judgement until I hear.  My hopes are not let down for this yet.

jingle.boy

Quote from: cramx3 on September 12, 2015, 05:44:56 AM
I'm fine with it. It's a different vocalist and maybe he's only on one song and it's a song that suits him. I'll hold judgement until I hear.  My hopes are not let down for this yet.

I wouldn't say I'm let down overall, just that this is a backwards step.   If he were to announce someone like Rick Altzi, urban Breed, Kelly Carpenter, or Ted Leonard - that would have me dancing around the room.

wolfking

Yeah, I'm with Chad.  Since the start of Avantasia he has been bringing in bigger names and kept the ball rolling really nicely.  Tate just feels like he's falling flat and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I'd be more impressed if he got Todd along in there instead.

He needs to get Tom Englund too, that would be seiously amazing.

McNugg

Tate is a name I would expect to see in Timo Tolkki's Avalon, not Avantasia :( 

I do wonder how Tate will do with decent lyrics written for him for once though... Just hope he doesn't join the tour as it's the first time i'm going to see Avantasia and that would put a damper on it.  Can't imagine Tate singing ANY Avantasia back catalog at all.

wolfking

Quote from: McNugg on September 13, 2015, 04:53:25 AM
Tate is a name I would expect to see in Timo Tolkki's Avalon, not Avantasia :( 

I do wonder how Tate will do with decent lyrics written for him for once though... Just hope he doesn't join the tour as it's the first time i'm going to see Avantasia and that would put a damper on it.  Can't imagine Tate singing ANY Avantasia back catalog at all.

You nailed it bro.

cramx3

I don't think Tate will tour as that part was not on his announcement which it is for Journe and now Kiske! Confirmed for the album and tour, via Avantasia facebook.

bl5150

Gotta admit though - his latest look would be pretty handy for a Scarecrow.

Evermind

Michael Kiske will be on the album and on tour too. Not a great surprise, but it's nice to get an official confirmation indeed.

TAC

wolfking

TAC

NotePad

It will be kinda weird having Kiske and Geoff Tate on the same album considering how similar they sound. Perhaps it will be fit into the concept, like they'll have roles as brothers or something ;p

Still, I'm pissed that Tobi is doing a new Avantasia album instead of focusing on another Edguy album. Edguy kicks ass!