News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Pure Reason Revolution Appreciation

Started by Quadrochosis, April 24, 2010, 04:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyhunter1

This is a good album. Not as good as Eupnea, but a solid follow-up and easily my second-favorite from them (though I haven't heard their 2nd album yet). I love how dynamic Scream Sideways is (that drop into the Pink Floyd-esque funky section halfway through is great), and how smoothly the band jumps between rock and electronic instrumentation on Phantoms and Dead Butterfly. I have no idea what the spoken word sections are supposed to be about but the narrator has a cool voice.

My biggest complaints are that the first two songs are pretty weak, and the heavy riffs start to get really predictable especially towards the end of the album. I'm hoping they dial those back a bit for the next one.

Also Chloe really got demoted to backup vocalist on this one, didn't she? You could probably count on one hand the number of times she's singing by herself.

Quote from: Nekov on May 10, 2022, 08:18:02 AM
Interesting. I found Eupnea to be much closer to TDT than this one.

Same; to me the sound of this album is largely just Eupnea but with a greater emphasis on heavy riffs and electronic elements, neither of which The Dark Third really had. I should give that album another chance, my past listens of it didn't really grab me like their more recent albums have.

Zantera

They will never top The Dark Third I think but Eupnea and this new one have both been great and I'd lump them in with Amor Vincit Omnia. Hammer & Anvil isn't TERRIBLE but it's easily the worst out of the bunch and the only one I never feel like revisiting. These last 2 albums show they still have gas in the tank and I'm happy they came back.

SoundscapeMN

bump.

new tune "Dig Till You Die" coming on Friday June 21st. New album coming in September per a Facebook Post in May 2024.

https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/purereasonrevolution_digtillyoudie_presave/

QuoteSurprise! We've got a new single called 'Dig Till You Die' coming this Friday 21st June. Pre-save it now and get a special message from Jon about what the song is about and how it came to be!

Buddyhunter1

Nekov

Nice. They are playing along Haken and some other bands in Barcelona soon, but the ticket price is a bit steep for only those 2 bands that I'm interested in  :-\

The Curious Orange

The last two albums were great, highly listenable stuff that found it's way into my regular rotation more than I thought they would. I'm looking forward to this!

SoundscapeMN

Coming Up to Consciousness out on September 6th

article in Prog magazine

Guy Pratt?..so, Chloe Alper?..she may not be involved with this per her work with the band James.

MinistroRaven

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on June 19, 2024, 07:44:57 AM
Coming Up to Consciousness out on September 6th

Guy Pratt?..so, Chloe Alper?..she may not be involved with this per her work with the band James.

Chloe is probably doing (being paid) well with James. But any criticism from this album is likely going to be thought of due to her absence.

Buddyhunter1

Like I said earlier, Chloe was basically a background vocalist on the last album, so I don't know if she would have gotten much to do even if she was on this one. Not sure if there's anything going on there or if she's totally fine with not being involved as much.

Zantera

What is Chloe up to these days that's preventing her from having more of a presence in PRR? Genuinely curious as information is sparse or at least I'm not aware of it.

Overall I think PRR's comeback has been pretty great. While they haven't (and probably won't) reached The Dark Third levels, I think both reunion albums have been great and it's nice to see the band back with new ideas.

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: Zantera on June 21, 2024, 09:25:47 AM
What is Chloe up to these days that's preventing her from having more of a presence in PRR? Genuinely curious as information is sparse or at least I'm not aware of it.

Overall I think PRR's comeback has been pretty great. While they haven't (and probably won't) reached The Dark Third levels, I think both reunion albums have been great and it's nice to see the band back with new ideas.

Chloe's been a touring member with the band James for well over a year, and is on their latest album that came out a few months ago.

MinistroRaven

On July 26th, 11:45 AM I'll be interviewing Jon Courtney.
If you have questions for him, please send them my way

Fritzinger

Not sure if this is the best question to ask, but why is Chloe Alper no longer in the band?

LithoJazzoSphere

Ok, now I'm confused.  If she's no longer in the band, is that not her?  Did she leave after the material was already recorded, or is that someone else? 

SoundscapeMN

the woman in the video/thumbnail is not Chloe Alper, it's Annicke Shireen whose considered a touring member now.

LithoJazzoSphere

Oh wow, small world, I like her solo material, so that's a good pick-up. 

MinistroRaven

SoundscapeMN

from the email list on bandcamp

QuoteDear Fans,

the upcoming new album 'Coming Up To Consciousness' is now available for pre-order via our new webstore: store.glassvillemusic.com/page/pure-reason-revolution. We have some exclusive bundles available for you, not available anywhere else.

Als exclusive to the new webstore is our rarities CD 'In The Realms of the Divine', containing 12 tracks from the early days of the band, most of them previously released.

You can also find our previous albums in the new store.

Please Note: The new album will NOT be offered via Bandcamp!

you can preorder it, but there's no track list. If it's The Sunset Sound stuff, I definitely am interested.

https://store.glassvillemusic.com/product/pure-reason-revolution-in-the-realms-of-the-divine

Lonk

Enjoyed the new album, will need a few more spins but I like it

SoundscapeMN

Nekov

Nice album overall, not as heavy as the previous ones which I think is a good turn. They were starting to sound a bit too samey. I'll be seeing this guys in a couple of weeks along with Haken and Kingcrow (also Obsidian Kingdom which I don't really care for). Should be a nice evening

Buddyhunter1

Not feeling this one as much as the last two. I like the more mellow sound, but to me most of the songs aren't that memorable or feel pretty disjointed, which isn't helped by how short a lot of them are. I think a structure more similar to Eupnea with longer songs would have suited this sound a lot better.

SoundscapeMN

hmm, I'm feeling the opposite. I'm finding this new record works better per it seems very much less is more.

Also not nearly as much of the indstrial/tool-worshipy guitar parts.

But, you're right in that it only includes 8 proper tracks, which makes it feel shorter.

as an aside, I really like Annicke Shireen's band Shireen's album "Matriarch". Medieval Folk that is both catchy and yet features some great instrumentation.

Zantera

My only nitpick is the transitional tracks make it weird because they're so short they don't even register on last.fm and they're so "fluff" they don't even register in my head so it just feels a bit pointless. But the actual album itself is pretty good and I think they do these calmer songs quite well and one of their strongest attributes as a band are vocal melodies I think. It's a big reason why The Dark Third is one of the best modern prog albums and why Amor Vincit Omnia has some great catchy songs.

hefdaddy42

Just listened to this new album today on a lark.  Never heard the band before.

I liked it a lot!  Smart songwriting, nice production.  I have nothing else from them with which to compare it, so I don't know if this is typical for them, subpar, exceptional, whatever.  But in a vacuum, I liked this album a lot.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: Zantera on September 12, 2024, 01:47:17 AMMy only nitpick is the transitional tracks make it weird because they're so short they don't even register on last.fm and they're so "fluff" they don't even register in my head so it just feels a bit pointless. But the actual album itself is pretty good and I think they do these calmer songs quite well and one of their strongest attributes as a band are vocal melodies I think. It's a big reason why The Dark Third is one of the best modern prog albums and why Amor Vincit Omnia has some great catchy songs.

The Vinyl doesn't even list them on the back, so they're just tacked on at the end of each track.