Ongoing and Upcoming Survivors *PLEASE READ*

Started by setrataeso, April 13, 2010, 02:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train of Naught

Depends on the country, I guess McD and BK are the only worldwide ones?

Sacul

ASacrificedSon

Haha, it's not a burger place!  :smiley:
But if you insist.

ASacrificedSon

Is there a rule of how many survivors I can run?

Sacul

Evermind

Still, I think it's better to run one or two simultaneously at best so the Polls / Survivors section doesn't become too clogged.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Train of Naught

Quote from: Evermind on February 05, 2016, 05:23:54 AM
Still, I think it's better to run one or two simultaneously at best so the Polls / Survivors section doesn't become too clogged.
Yeah, no kiddin'. There was a time where this place was pretty much deserted, but I think since the Periphery survivor stopped, we've gotten Spock's Beard, Kamelot, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Coheed and Cambria (for a couple days :neverusethis:), Haken, King Crimson, all on top of the DT league. Also the Hurt or Heal polls, so yea there is no real limit but keep in mind we have a stickied thread to keep track of survivors for a reason. (Admittedly, not a very active one, I think the user who started it is no longer active on the forums.)

BlackInk

Quote from: ASacrificedSon on February 04, 2016, 07:54:04 AM
What about Carl's jr or in n out?
In n Out should be pretty famous

Never even hear about either of these. But I'm from sweden, so it's not so weird.

ASacrificedSon

Kk thanks guys.
and ink, yeah in America it's very famous. I can understand.

ASacrificedSon

Evermind

Quote from: Train of Naught on February 05, 2016, 06:56:43 AM
Yeah, no kiddin'. There was a time where this place was pretty much deserted, but I think since the Periphery survivor stopped, we've gotten Spock's Beard, Kamelot, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, Iron Maiden, Coheed and Cambria (for a couple days :neverusethis:), Haken, King Crimson, all on top of the DT league. Also the Hurt or Heal polls, so yea there is no real limit but keep in mind we have a stickied thread to keep track of survivors for a reason. (Admittedly, not a very active one, I think the user who started it is no longer active on the forums.)

Well I've been saying Kamelot Survivor was my intention pretty much since early 2015 when I started Nightwish. I don't have anything against people who are spontaneously deciding they want to run a Survivor, because well, why would I? It's fun and unexpected and it breathes life in this forum section, but I just wanted to point out I'm planning my Survivors in advance so it's always no surprise what I'm going to host next.

So overall, I'm aiming at running one huge Survivor a year, and I've got a good idea for 2017 already... as long as I'm not cockblocked on it during this year.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

IDontNotDoThings

Out of curiosity, how much interest would there be in an Anthrax survivor (considering the new album & everything)?

jjrock88

I would be interested in an Anthrax survivor for sure

IDontNotDoThings

So... like now?

Destiny Of Chaos

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on March 08, 2016, 03:30:00 AM

So... like now?

Yeah, the rating polls have taken over. But easy enough to scroll around them to find the survivors.

True, but it can be frustrating when rounds of a survivor that are still open for voting are getting pushed more than halfway down the page. As I look at it now, there are active Iron Maiden, Spock's Beard and Redemption rounds that are on the bottom third of the page, buried almost exclusively by rating threads.

Destiny Of Chaos

Quote from: 425 on March 10, 2016, 09:00:03 AM
True, but it can be frustrating when rounds of a survivor that are still open for voting are getting pushed more than halfway down the page. As I look at it now, there are active Iron Maiden, Spock's Beard and Redemption rounds that are on the bottom third of the page, buried almost exclusively by rating threads.

When I started the ratings, I encouraged people to post in the ratings thread on the DT Forum with the intention that these polls would sink. But a lot of people have been replying with their ratings. If I could, I would lock the rating polls from comments.

Perhaps another solution would be for all the main threads for the survivors to be stickied, and have the survivor runner link to the current round as a reply.

Me not being a moderator, I can't explore either option.

But I will say that in the survivors that I am taking part in (DT/Kamelot/Redemption), participation hasn't seemed to drop off since the decent of the ratings.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that "something has to be done about this!" I don't think that there's a deeply serious problem here, but there is a reason for people to be somewhat frustrated (and I've seen people express frustration about this in survivor threads). I'm just commenting on the state of affairs, which is that, yes, the Polls/Survivors is pretty full right now, and that the reason for that largely has to do with the rating threads.

My only suggestion would be that maybe the rating threads could come out more slowly. My observation has been that after a few days, few people comment on them and they do sink. But you seem to be posting about 10-15 of them a day, so it just takes up a lot of the front page by sheer volume.

Destiny Of Chaos

Quote from: 425 on March 10, 2016, 10:51:12 AM
I'm not necessarily suggesting that "something has to be done about this!" I don't think that there's a deeply serious problem here, but there is a reason for people to be somewhat frustrated (and I've seen people express frustration about this in survivor threads). I'm just commenting on the state of affairs, which is that, yes, the Polls/Survivors is pretty full right now, and that the reason for that largely has to do with the rating threads.

My only suggestion would be that maybe the rating threads could come out more slowly. My observation has been that after a few days, few people comment on them and they do sink. But you seem to be posting about 10-15 of them a day, so it just takes up a lot of the front page by sheer volume.

I'm taking you up on your suggestion. I only posted 4 today. Let's see if that helps out.

That is much better, thank you. All active survivors' current rounds plus today's rating polls are all in the top third of the page. :tup

IDontNotDoThings

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on March 06, 2016, 02:57:18 AM
Out of curiosity, how much interest would there be in an Anthrax survivor (considering the new album & everything)?

Apparently not it seems except jjrock88.

IDontNotDoThings

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually view this thread when there's a new post?

jakepriest

I do. I just don't really care about the current survivors and survivor options.

The Letter M

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on April 02, 2016, 02:43:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people actually view this thread when there's a new post?

I try to, if only to see which survivors are ending and/or coming up.

As an update to mine, since I'm entering the final studio album for Spock's Beard tomorrow (then B-Sides, then Consolation, then Finals), I wanted to see if anyone was interested in one of the following:
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

I'm not sure when the last ones of these were done but I know it has been awhile. I'm pretty sure I did the last Genesis Survivor. I'd be down for Rush, considering that 2112 is now 40 years old, and the band has all but retired from the stage, and possibly the studio, doing one more Survivor for them might be a good send-off.

Then again, doing one for Yes or Genesis might also seem pretty good, especially for the latter since they'll definitely not be making any more albums.

After whichever of those that I might do, I still plan on doing Marillion again since their next album should be out by then. Perhaps even before then, I may do a Frost* Survivor if anyone has interested enough in them for me to do one.

Speaking of bands that may or may not garner enough interest here for a Survivor, what about Big Big Train? They have a new album out in a couple of months so it'd be fun to do one for them, too, if I had enough participants!

-Marc.

IDontNotDoThings

Quote from: The Letter M on April 02, 2016, 04:05:05 PM
As an update to mine, since I'm entering the final studio album for Spock's Beard tomorrow (then B-Sides, then Consolation, then Finals), I wanted to see if anyone was interested in one of the following:
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

But I was gonna do a Yes survivor.   :-[

Still have to listen through the rest of their discography though. Currently I'm up to Talk.

The Letter M

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on April 02, 2016, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: The Letter M on April 02, 2016, 04:05:05 PM
A Genesis Survivor
A Yes Survivor
A Rush Survivor

But I was gonna do a Yes survivor.   :-[

Still have to listen through the rest of their discography though. Currently I'm up to Talk.

By all means, go ahead if you'd like! I've just been wanting to for a couple of years now but never found the right time to do it, even having been a fan of them for over a decade now. My version of the survivor would include ABWH and Keystudio in addition to the other 19 Yes studio albums, so it'd be a pretty long one, but totally worth it.

If Yes is taken, then I may do Rush or Genesis, depending on which band will get more participants (probably Rush).

-Marc.

TheCountOfNYC

Any interest in a Metallica survivor? I want to try my hand at running one and I figure that doing it with my all time favorite band would be the best way to go.

jjrock88

I'm sure there would be enough interest in Metallica

jakepriest

It would give me reason to listen to Metallica after so many years, so why not.

Destiny Of Chaos

MirrorMask

I'm all for a Metallica survivor! I would just sit out the St. Anger one, since I must have heard that album exactly only one and then recoiled away in horror. But I'm all for the agony of having to pick only 2 songs from Ride and Master, hehe!

TheCountOfNYC

I'm glad to see that there's interest. I'll get it started within a couple of days.

RoeDent

I've just thought of something...what happened to the Mega Steven Wilson Survivor? It's just slipped out of existence.

Scar

Is anyone willing to participate in a Rush or Kansas survivor?

The Letter M

Quote from: Scar on April 27, 2016, 04:39:18 PM
Is anyone willing to participate in a Rush or Kansas survivor?

Someone here already does an annual Rush Survivor, but I cannot recall when they last did it.

I also cannot recall if anyone has done Kansas before, but this year would be a good one to do it, but probably for later in the year when the new album comes out.

-Marc.