News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)

Started by Perpetual Change, December 13, 2010, 04:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adami

www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

The Letter M

Quote from: Adami on June 11, 2024, 06:43:04 PM
I think one of them might be Mike Portnoy.

In the thread about Mike Portnoy?!

-Marc.

LithoJazzoSphere

Portnoy is the guy making the peace sign, right?

Metro

They're actors from a fictional band called Dekkar from an online series called On Cinema At The Cinema and there is not enough time in the world to explain to you what that is. If you know, you know.

TAC

Quote from: Metro on June 11, 2024, 07:37:04 PM
They're actors from a fictional band called Dekkar from an online series called On Cinema At The Cinema and there is not enough time in the world to explain to you what that is. If you know, you know.

An ONLINE series? Where would someone watch an online series?

Thank you for the info.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ZirconBlue

Quote from: TAC on June 12, 2024, 06:12:01 AM
An ONLINE series? Where would someone watch an online series?

Online, I assume.

TAC

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

TAC is the gift that keeps on giving, and I mean that in the most postive, loving way.  :) :) :) :) :)

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on June 12, 2024, 09:20:29 AM
TAC is the gift that keeps on giving, and I mean that in the most postive, loving way.  :) :) :) :) :)

So, I know the answer was obvious, but I was really asking a different question that I think is even more crazy. Not so much crazy, but...it's more a part of a much larger and ongoing epiphany going on in my head that I am trying to put into words to present here.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TAC

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 12, 2024, 10:27:44 AM
I for one can't wait.

It has to do with seeing through the clouds of our biases and ignorance and learning to respect others.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: TAC on June 12, 2024, 10:32:29 AM
It has to do with seeing through the clouds of our biases and ignorance and learning to respect others.
I was being serious when I said I can't wait.

TAC

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on June 12, 2024, 10:35:37 AM
I was being serious when I said I can't wait.

Yup, and Stadler's "If Everyone Has A Story..." thingy is part of it.

Adami

Well I was going to say I had an interest in hearing it too, but as they say, if everyone has an interest.....
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

emtee

I listened to Bridge Across Forever 2 nights ago and had literal goosebumps during parts of some of the songs. That is a very special album. The drums sound amazing.

It prompted me to consider doing a ranking of all the albums MP has played on that I own.

KevShmev

Quote from: emtee on July 19, 2024, 04:46:21 AMI listened to Bridge Across Forever 2 nights ago and had literal goosebumps during parts of some of the songs. That is a very special album. The drums sound amazing.

It prompted me to consider doing a ranking of all the albums MP has played on that I own.

Bridge Across Forever is still a great record, but it has grown off me a bit in the last few years.  Not sure why, but it just doesn't floor me like it used to, and I don't think it's from overplaying, as I have "overplayed" plenty of other TA/Neal Morse/Roine Stolt records and not had the same problem. 

I can spitball a top 10 of albums that Portnoy has played on here...

01 Awake
02 The Similitude of a Dream
03 Scenes from a Memory
04 The Whirlwind
05 SMPTe
06 Images and Words
07 One
08 Flying Colors
09 Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
10 Liquid Tension Experiment - Volume 1

Tough to leave off Testimony 2, The Grand Experiment, ?, Innocence & Danger and LTE2, but that is off the top of my head.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: emtee on July 19, 2024, 04:46:21 AMI listened to Bridge Across Forever 2 nights ago and had literal goosebumps during parts of some of the songs. That is a very special album. The drums sound amazing.

Still affects me the some way, as well.

faizoff

I absolutely love that album and yeah it probably is at the very top of MP albums. I need to take an inventory of how many MP albums I own, it has to be over a 100 at the very least. 

TheHoveringSojourn808

BAF is a very special record. It's kind of crazy that the worst song on it is the Suite Charlotte Pike song - nothing wrong with the tune at all but when that's the weak one of the bunch you know you've struck gold. My only critique of the song is it is a lil too thinly an attempt at doing a kind of Abbey Road Suite thing

HOF

BAF never gets old for me, and I agree it has some of MP's best drumming of his career. Great sound, really musical parts with great groove as well. Probably is both my favorite performance by him and my favorite album that he plays on (it's a top 5 all time album for me).

HOF

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 19, 2024, 07:13:32 AMMy only critique of the song is it is a lil too thinly an attempt at doing a kind of Abbey Road Suite thing

I would say it was an obvious and open attempt at replicating the Abbey Road Suite (down to the name, which was based on the road the studio was located off of). Nothing veiled about it! But it is a quite excellent tribute nonetheless.

gzarruk

That's probably my least favorite Transatlantic song of all time besides Lenny Johnson. Can you tell I'm not a
Beatles fan? :lol

Stadler

Quote from: TheHoveringSojourn808 on July 19, 2024, 07:13:32 AMBAF is a very special record. It's kind of crazy that the worst song on it is the Suite Charlotte Pike song - nothing wrong with the tune at all but when that's the weak one of the bunch you know you've struck gold. My only critique of the song is it is a lil too thinly an attempt at doing a kind of Abbey Road Suite thing

Have you heard the live version, where they literally interpolate the Abbey Road suite into the song? I am a huge Beatles fan, so for me, it's like catnip.  I have many favorite moments in TA history, but that's certainly one of the better ones.

axeman90210

I love that live rendition as well. I don't mind the studio version either, but it's understandably overshadowed by just about everything else on BAF

TheHoveringSojourn808

Quote from: Stadler on July 21, 2024, 01:38:48 PMHave you heard the live version, where they literally interpolate the Abbey Road suite into the song? I am a huge Beatles fan, so for me, it's like catnip.  I have many favorite moments in TA history, but that's certainly one of the better ones.

I don't think so! Sounds cool. As an aside I just listened to Abbey Road today again. Great record lol

Stadler

Live In Europe; it's an official release and readily available.

TheHoveringSojourn808

emtee

I enjoyed watching that. Thanks for posting.

He confirmed my suspicion that all the DT guys are fully aware that this all has to end some day and nobody knows when that will be. Hence, it was important to all of them - brothers of the craft - as well as family members, to spend as much time together creating music and touring before they call it quits.

frogprog

Great video. Thanks for sharing.  Those are 2 of my all time favorite drummers and musical inspirations! I have been fortunate to meet both of them a few times and they are both CLASS acts!

TAC