So i've been into dream theater for a few months now...

Started by BanksD, December 24, 2010, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanksD

...and for the first time in a while I decided to sit down and listen to Images & Words all the way though and i was once again reminded why I got into this band. Like I said I've been a fan of this for not too long (and sadly i got into the band after Mike left) but I love what I've heard so far, and I hope to be listening to this band for a long time to come.

I also wanted to use this thread to make an introduction of some sort since I couldn't really find a good thread to post in first.

I don't really have anything else to say other than I hope to get to know you all and have a good time.

TempusVox

wolfking

Quote from: BanksD on December 24, 2010, 06:16:57 PM
...and for the first time in a while I decided to sit down and listen to Images & Words all the way though and i was once again reminded why I got into this band. Like I said I've been a fan of this for not too long (and sadly i got into the band after Mike left) but I love what I've heard so far, and I hope to be listening to this band for a long time to come.

I also wanted to use this thread to make an introduction of some sort since I couldn't really find a good thread to post in first.

I don't really have anything else to say other than I hope to get to know you all and have a good time.

Welcome to the freak show my friend. 

With DT you have a long wonderful journey ahead of you, and you won't be disappointed.

ricky

Have you listen to SFAM? The only record that most DT fans agree is better then I&W.

BanksD

Quote from: ricky on December 24, 2010, 06:22:18 PM
Have you listen to SFAM? The only record that most DT fans agree is better then I&W.

Yeah SFAM is my favorite that I've heard so far (in fact i'm listening to it as i'm typing this)

The Letter M

It starts with a couple fan-favorite albums, then a couple live albums... then you get all of the studio albums, then the remaining live albums. Oh, and of course, A Change Of Seasons.

Then you find out about YtseJamRecords and start getting the bootlegs - the studio Demos of the first 4 albums and the Majesty Demos... then the live bootlegs... then the Covers Series. And all the DVDs. Then finally the Making Of albums for FII and SFAM.

Oh, then you find out about each member's side projects like Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic (which, if you're not careful, will lead you into Neal Morse/Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt/The Flower Kings, and Marillion), Platypus/The Jelly Jam, and their solo albums and collaborations.

Oh, then you realize there are some really cool hard-to-find things that cost a pretty penny, like Fan Club CDs and DVDs. Then there's shirts, other apparel, posters, pins, books, magazines with cover stories, and so much more.

In about a couple years, you'll become pretty poor... but enriched with the music of five guys who do it for themselves, and the fans, and love every moment of it.

Welcome to the club!

-Marc.

dethklok09

please note that listening to dream theater may instigate doubt in your own playing abilities and will eventually cause you to sell your instrument on ebay

The Letter M

Quote from: dethklok09 on December 24, 2010, 06:40:25 PM
please note that listening to dream theater may instigate doubt in your own playing abilities and will eventually cause you to sell your instrument on ebay

Then you can turn that money around and buy more DT and DT-related stuff!

-Marc.

Jamesman42

Quote from: The Letter M on December 24, 2010, 06:30:01 PM
It starts with a couple fan-favorite albums, then a couple live albums... then you get all of the studio albums, then the remaining live albums. Oh, and of course, A Change Of Seasons.

Then you find out about YtseJamRecords and start getting the bootlegs - the studio Demos of the first 4 albums and the Majesty Demos... then the live bootlegs... then the Covers Series. And all the DVDs. Then finally the Making Of albums for FII and SFAM.

Oh, then you find out about each member's side projects like Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic (which, if you're not careful, will lead you into Neal Morse/Spock's Beard, Roine Stolt/The Flower Kings, and Marillion), Platypus/The Jelly Jam, and their solo albums and collaborations.

Oh, then you realize there are some really cool hard-to-find things that cost a pretty penny, like Fan Club CDs and DVDs. Then there's shirts, other apparel, posters, pins, books, magazines with cover stories, and so much more.

In about a couple years, you'll become pretty poor... but enriched with the music of five guys who do it for themselves, and the fans, and love every moment of it.

This is true...that's why I just stick with the music mostly (explore Transatlantic, and you should REALLY get some Liquid Tension Experiment if you like the instrumental-ness of DT, because that's basically what it is, with a different bassist).
\o\ lol /o/

hefdaddy42

No, most fans don't.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

antigoon

If you don't want to become a cynical asshole like the rest of us, you should probably leave :p

nikostheater

Welcome to the club mate.
What Marc said before me stands so true it's scary!
Enjoy a great journey with DT and a good company here with us.
And Merry Christmas!!

jsem

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 24, 2010, 09:12:02 PM
No, most fans don't.
It's just the only record some fans prefer over IW (some like Awake... for some reason, but w/e)

Metabog

Quote from: TempusVox on December 24, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
Welcome to the disease.

I agree, we should introduce him to Opeth so he can be rid of it.

ricky

RuRoRul

QuoteIt's just the only record some fans prefer over IW

No it's not.

wolfking

Quote from: Metabog on December 25, 2010, 02:59:25 AM
Quote from: TempusVox on December 24, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
Welcome to the disease.

I agree, we should introduce him to Opeth so he can be rid of it.

fuyck yeah!!  i see waht you did there!! o[etj!!  :metal damnatiomn!

jsem

Quote from: RuRoRul on December 25, 2010, 06:12:53 AM
QuoteIt's just the only record some fans prefer over IW

No it's not.
Fine. I've seen exceptions, but they're rare.

darkshade

Quote from: Jamesman on December 24, 2010, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: The Letter M on December 24, 2010, 06:30:01 PM

This is true...that's why I just stick with the music mostly (explore Transatlantic, and you should REALLY get some Liquid Tension Experiment if you like the instrumental-ness of DT, because that's basically what it is, with a different bassist).

yes, a Dream Theater collection is not complete without both LTE records. I always found those albums to be very close extensions of the DT canon. Transatlantic is also worth checking out (they only have 3 albums), but may lead to many more albums.