The Mike Mangini Thread (Thanks & Farewell)

Started by Progmetty, April 29, 2011, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm happy they went with Mangini, are you?

Fuck yeah!
Cool, whatever.
No

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: TAC on June 16, 2024, 05:42:16 AM
Was hoping for some DT related experiences there, but he didn't seem to want to go there. It certainly would've been relevant.

Agreed. I am kinda hoping we'll get there with time but maybe everything is still just too fresh.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on June 16, 2024, 04:45:15 AM
Watching this now. Ray Luzier seems pretty cool. I don't know who he is. He mentions Korn...is he their drummer?
If so, has he always been? I saw Korn back in '95 and '96. Was he with them then?
Worst band I've ever seen BTW..lol

He drummed for David Lee Roth for a long time, and he was on that Stone Temple Pilots off-shoot Army of Anyone (great album, BTW).

I saw Korn open for Ozzy, when he was on his tour with John Holmes.  Not the greatest show I've ever seen over all.   

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on June 17, 2024, 05:28:10 AM
I saw Korn open for Ozzy, when he was on his tour with John Holmes.  Not the greatest show I've ever seen over all.

I saw that show in Worcester. January 20, 1996. It was literally THE day I met my wife.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on June 16, 2024, 05:42:16 AM
Was hoping for some DT related experiences there, but he didn't seem to want to go there. It certainly would've been relevant.

I'm not sure he didn't; it was a gear video and they were swapping gear stories.   He didn't mention the band/gig every single time he told a story.

But I loved that; great moral at the end:

"Don't be a dick and one o'clock means one o'clock!"

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on June 17, 2024, 05:52:57 AM
I'm not sure he didn't; it was a gear video and they were swapping gear stories.   He didn't mention the band/gig every single time he told a story.

But I loved that; great moral at the end:

"Don't be a dick and one o'clock means one o'clock!"

There wasn't a lot of gear talk. Surprisingly little for the spot.

I mean, we got more on Diver Down than we did on DT, which was hardly anything. I think the convo around the click could've opened an avenue there for him, but he didn't seem to want to take it there.

Speaking of Diver Down, back in the day, they were huge around here. I had no idea that Mangini was in Diver Down. I found some youtube footage and sure enough..
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TheBarstoolWarrior

by the way, not sure if or when this has been posted before but how cool is this? Mike Mangini sitting in with the Cory Wong band for a song a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1GVVv42Ry4

You would think that with all that technique and gigs with Vai, Annihilator, and DT he would sound like a fish out of water but this is actually a great performance. Clean playing, and a very tight groove - and you need the tightness for a funk band like this. In a few spots he's definitely throwing in some stuff that would normally not be in the wheelhouse but sounds super crisp.

Edit to add interview describing his approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_d0eJ4ay08
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

brakkum

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on June 29, 2024, 06:08:21 PM
by the way, not sure if or when this has been posted before but how cool is this? Mike Mangini sitting in with the Cory Wong band for a song a couple months ago.

You would think that with all that technique and gigs with Vai, Annihilator, and DT he would sound like a fish out of water but this is actually a great performance. Clean playing, and a very tight groove - and you need the tightness for a funk band like this. In a few spots he's definitely throwing in some stuff that would normally not be in the wheelhouse but sounds super crisp.

Edit to add interview describing his approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_d0eJ4ay08

Hell yea, that was sick! Never would have thought of this before but Cory's regular drummer Petar has a similar clarity to his playing style that I get from MM.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: brakkum on June 29, 2024, 06:19:10 PM
Hell yea, that was sick! Never would have thought of this before but Cory's regular drummer Petar has a similar clarity to his playing style that I get from MM.

For sure! Petar is a great drummer too...super tight and locked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfcNhAEAhGQ

brakkum

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on June 29, 2024, 06:26:48 PM
For sure! Petar is a great drummer too...super tight and locked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfcNhAEAhGQ

So good. I went to college with Petar and got to play some gigs with him way back when. Makes me wish I had practiced more :lol

ReaperKK

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on June 29, 2024, 06:08:21 PM

I saw this a little bit ago and the the drum sound was so good on that video.

hunnus2000

Quote from: ReaperKK on June 30, 2024, 06:18:38 AM
I saw this a little bit ago and the the drum sound was so good on that video.

As Tony Montanna says - that's some grade A chit!

TheBarstoolWarrior

Cool interview from the DOT tour in which Mike talks about why his kit is set up the way it is. He explains the symmetrical design and the musical reason for it. He also talks about the click in some detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7UlBm-iuP8

There was also some apparent frustration expressed at 1:15-1:45. Sounds like he felt he was 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' with regard to playing MP's parts like the record.

TAC

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on July 17, 2024, 04:50:12 PMThere was also some apparent frustration expressed at 1:15-1:45. Sounds like he felt he was 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' with regard to playing MP's parts like the record.

I think you have to respect the (older) songs for what they are, but like I said, I think MM was too hung up on not stepping on anyone's toes.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: TAC on July 17, 2024, 05:36:57 PMI think you have to respect the (older) songs for what they are, but like I said, I think MM was too hung up on not stepping on anyone's toes.

I am hopeful that he joins a new band or is somehow able to keep playing on stage professionally assuming that is what he wants to do. I could see him as drummer for an act like Vai or Satch again. He's an exceptional talent and I would hate for him to stop making music.

TAC

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on July 17, 2024, 06:10:24 PMI am hopeful that he joins a new band or is somehow able to keep playing on stage professionally assuming that is what he wants to do. I could see him as drummer for an act like Vai or Satch again. He's an exceptional talent and I would hate for him to stop making music.

Well, he's teaching and he has kids that were younger than the other DT guys' kids I'm pretty sure.
He mentioned that DT was kind of like a dream job where he could really use his talents in a band setup. If he does join a band, which I'd be kind of shocked if he did, I hope he's creatively challenged, because I think hat's what really appeals to him. Plus, I think he's still doing appearances like that recent Pearl thing with Ray Luzier, and sitting in with that band with the horns...I can't remember their name.

MetropolisWatches

Mike Mangini was fantastic, but it's also exciting to see what Portnoy will bring to the band in 2024.

In terms of the songwriting and upcoming album: I'm hoping they really shake things up and don't continue down the same road they were on back in 2009.

hunnus2000

Quote from: MetropolisWatches on July 19, 2024, 04:19:55 PMMike Mangini was fantastic, but it's also exciting to see what Portnoy will bring to the band in 2024.

In terms of the songwriting and upcoming album: I'm hoping they really shake things up and don't continue down the same road they were on back in 2009.

I agree. I'm excited to see what he brings with the MM era songs.

What does it mean "shake things up"? That sounds a lot like 'I want them to be inspired'. What does that even mean and the reason I ask that is no one can explain.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Quote from: hunnus2000 on July 20, 2024, 07:44:12 AMI agree. I'm excited to see what he brings with the MM era songs.

What does it mean "shake things up"? That sounds a lot like 'I want them to be inspired'. What does that even mean and the reason I ask that is no one can explain.

I also do not know what it means and I am not sure why people are thinking that is what this whole thing is about. It is being pitched as a return to something classic.

adamack

Quote from: MetropolisWatches on July 19, 2024, 04:19:55 PMMike Mangini was fantastic, but it's also exciting to see what Portnoy will bring to the band in 2024.

It's funny you mention this, because just 5 minutes ago I was listening to a recent MP interview and he mentions that the new album "picks right back up where BC&SL left off."

Here is the vid with timestamp if interested:

https://youtu.be/2MWwIbYsuV8?si=eEAF6PQ96MeV5p1Z&t=158

Stadler

And I think he subsequently clarified that that was a general comment about the band and the comfort level with way the guys worked together and less about strictly saying "the writing sounds like BC&SL".

TheBarstoolWarrior

good stuff! I can't say I understand anything about drum gear but I am really trying!

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

TheBarstoolWarrior

Amazing version of Pale Blue Dot from Hellfest 2019...Mike plays with such energy while nailing this masterpiece. The rest of the band is also energetic.

Max Kuehnau

IIRC this one actually was (is) one of MM's favourites on D/T, which would be obvious why (you mentioned one reason)
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

TheBarstoolWarrior

New post: Mike Mangini Melodic Hihats including snippets from Awaken the Master and Answering the Call.

Love the pattern on the first verse of ATM.

Adami

Quote from: TheBarstoolWarrior on August 21, 2024, 06:26:38 AM

New post: Mike Mangini Melodic Hihats including snippets from Awaken the Master and Answering the Call.

Love the pattern on the first verse of ATM.

I think his drumming was really "fitting in" during the second song. Then I see it's from his solo album. Dude knew how to work well around his drumming style. That little sample alone has inspired me to check out his album. I know I didn't love the single, but now maybe the rest might be good.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Max Kuehnau

it sadly is not (not as compared to what he is able to pull off. Make no mistake, the album works for what it is, but that is nowhere near enough for me. Not even remotely.)

Adami

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on August 21, 2024, 06:40:29 AMit sadly is not (not as compared to what he is able to pull off)

I'm not sure what you mean.

Max Kuehnau

it's not his greatest achievement (to put it very mildly), plain and simple, for various reasons (and I'm not into music for this, ever. Especially not with any album on which my heroes appear on, of whom he is one)

Adami

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on August 21, 2024, 06:46:04 AMit's not his greatest achievement (to put it very mildly), plain and simple, for various reasons (and I'm not into music for this, ever. Especially not with any album on which my heroes appear on, of whom he is one)

Were you responding to my post? I guess I just feel lost. I didn't say anything about greatest achievement.

And as someone who hasn't heard the album outside of the first single and that little clip in the video, I have no idea what what the "plain and simple various reasons" are or what "music for this" means.

I guess I'm just lost. All I said was that, in that little clip, it sounded like music that fit well around his drumming and made me want to check out his solo album. But again, if you were responding to something else, then my bad.

Max Kuehnau

yeah very sorry, I intended to respond to you saying that the rest of the album is good. To me (being very familiar with MM) it absolutely is not. Sadly. That's all.

Adami

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on August 21, 2024, 06:56:01 AMyeah very sorry, I intended to respond to you saying that the rest of the album is good. To me (being very familiar with MM) it absolutely is not. Sadly. That's all.

Ohhh gotcha. That's a shame! I'll still check it out. I remember really not thinking much of his first single, but I did dig that little sample.

Curious (before I hear the album) why you don't like it so much?

Max Kuehnau

Yeah go ahead and check it out if you want. I don't like it, because he isn't as precise as on my favourite three DT albums and any Vai albums he appears on (this is MM who is known for this, remember), and far less technical and with that not musical. No precision, no music. His parts work for what they are, but they don't seem as well thought out as we are used to. (or maybe they were and I didn't notice) All these are deal breakers to me.

Adami

Makes perfect sense. I'm sorry you didn't dig it. I know how much you love MM in general.

For whatever reasons, the things you seem to love most about his playing are often the things I like the least. So maybe I'll end up liking it, or maybe I won't like it for totally different reasons.  :lol I'll find out on my way home from work later!