News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Google+

Started by emindead, July 01, 2011, 12:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyHiggy

The way this thread has limped to a death is much like how the geeks all got their invites to G+ then stopped going there cos none of their other friends are there!
If 50 of my more facebook active friends came to G+ it would be a bona fide facebook slayer, as it is its just waiting for people!

MetalJunkie

Quote from: TimmyHiggy on July 27, 2011, 12:14:57 PM
The way this thread has limped to a death is much like how the geeks all got their invites to G+ then stopped going there cos none of their other friends are there!
If 50 of my more facebook active friends came to G+ it would be a bona fide facebook slayer, as it is its just waiting for people!
There's only so much you can post in a thread about G+. Just because we're not all talking about it on DTF doesn't mean we're not using it.

Progmetty

I still wanna try this.

MetalJunkie

7StringedBeast

I think Facebook will prevail and stay on top.  I dunno, I've had G+ for a couple weeks now and I just don't care about it.  Might as well just stick with Facebook because everyone is there.

I don't really care about Facebook either though.  I just check it, I don't really do much with it.

emindead

People, don't forget this is in the beta/invitation only stage. In four days this will go worldwide open and all of your friends will be able to join, giving this service more sense.

yorost

So how goes Google+ for all of you?

7StringedBeast

Quote from: yorost on September 14, 2011, 12:37:15 PM

Haven't used it since the day I got it lol.  Pretty much turned out to be pointless.

ZeppelinDT

Quote from: 7StringedBeast on September 14, 2011, 12:38:38 PM

Haven't used it since the day I got it lol.  Pretty much turned out to be pointless.

TimmyHiggy

I still work the same way with it: I prefer it to facebook but will only really use it once I have a decent number of FB friends also do the migration

Zydar

Quote from: ZeppelinDT on September 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM

Pretty much this.

pogoowner

There aren't enough people on it for it to be useful.

blackngold29

Quote from: pogoowner on September 14, 2011, 12:44:06 PM
There aren't enough people on it for it to be useful.
Exactly. Difficult for a social network to survive with no people.

glaurung

I use it to talk to a select few people but for pretty much everything else Facebook is still better.

obscure

it's really cool... but switching cost is too high....

Nekov

The only good use was when I trolled a guy from work that got banned from Facebook  :P

zepp-head

ZirconBlue

As of just now, I'm still getting this message:

Google+ is in limited Field Trial
Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.
Keep Me Posted
Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.

Perpetual Change

Quote from: zepp-head on September 14, 2011, 01:36:57 PM

LOL.

Remember "Wave" and "Buzz"?

"Plus" is going to meet them soon.

Implode

It's sad because it's so much less buggy than Facebook. But then again that's probably because the users are a small fraction of FB users.

zxlkho

obscure

XJDenton

I think it will build up steam once it is open to the public.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

obscure

highly likely actually... I might consider then....

livehard

Eh if no one is using it now, there's no reason the public will...  Besides, its not like an exclusive night club where no one can get in... Those invites are a dime a dozen.

emindead

reneranucci

I thought this thing was dead altogether  :lol

ZirconBlue

Quote from: livehard on September 15, 2011, 04:54:09 PM
Eh if no one is using it now, there's no reason the public will...  Besides, its not like an exclusive night club where no one can get in... Those invites are a dime a dozen.

"Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon."

Edit: I finally got in, and found like 50-60 people I know right away.

Bolsters

I saw the link to sign up to this today. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I had a computer and an internet connection so I thought what the fuck? But I then discovered after searching that not a single person I know has bothered to do the same yet.

I kind of like how a lot of the design and layout of it is a ripoff of Facebook, as that would make migration easier if anyone cared since it would seem familiar and not like to had to relearn a lot. I think the site really lacks some elaborate networking...Facebook lets me "like" movies, bands, actors, politicians, all kinds of things, and these fill out my profile for people to see - this doesn't appear to be a part of Google+ from what I can see. It's not that I necessarily want Google+ to just rip everything off from Facebook, but trying to build a profile on it just seems so simple, there's so very little information I am allowed to actually put on my profile page that even once I filled it all out, there's going to be less than half of what there is on my Facebook page.

I realize this is still in beta, but so far the only redeeming features of it are 1) the circle grouping of contacts and 2) it isn't Facebook. Compared to all the things that Facebook is still better for, these two things don't even come close to lifting Google+ to a level where I would want to use it at the same time as Facebook let alone have it replace Facebook.

:tdwn
Bolsters™

Implode

All Facebook has that's better that I care about is a huge following.

TimmyHiggy

I think google+ just got a whole lot more desirable in light of how everyone seems to dislike the new facebook layout!

MetalMike06

Quote from: TimmyHiggy on September 21, 2011, 11:49:53 AM
I think google+ just got a whole lot more desirable in light of how everyone seems to dislike the new facebook layout!

Described my feelings exactly. It's almost like FB is somehow trying to lose to G+. I mean, they screw with their layout even more (they still haven't gotten the clue that people don't like it when they do that) right when G+ become available for everyone to sign up.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: TimmyHiggy on September 21, 2011, 11:49:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they at least add an option to change it back. It wouldn't be the first time they've backstepped a bit after a huge backlash. It also wouldn't be the first time they've just done what they want and not given a crap about the users either, so what do I know.....

juice

Does anyone else have people raging on facebook about the new changes and going to Google+?  I haven't really found the new Facebook update to be that bad, seems just like overreactions to me.

blackngold29

Facebook changes layout, people complain. ...months pass... Facebook changes layout, people complain. ... months pass...

You don't like it? Ask for your money back.

And yeah, people today were like, "OMG Google+!" and I was like, "I thought that died two months ago."