News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS*

Started by Dimitrius, July 18, 2011, 10:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Postwhore

You know, I remember it getting good reviews and only here people don't seem to care for it.  The Marvel Movies are like Pixar.  Even the average ones don't disappoint.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Kotowboy

Really I've heard from a lot of people that outrighted hated Iron Man 3 & Cars 2 to name just two films.

Podaar

jingle.boy

I remember thinking that the storyline was ok, but execution was a little lacking.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Zantera

The Iron Man 3 hate is something I never understood. To me it seemed to be mainly Marvel fanboys who were butthurt about the twist, and others just jumped on that train. It wasn't as good as the first Iron Man, but it definitely wasn't Iron Man 2.

BlackInk

Quote from: Zantera on January 28, 2016, 10:48:15 AM
The Iron Man 3 hate is something I never understood. To me it seemed to be mainly Marvel fanboys who were butthurt about the twist, and others just jumped on that train. It wasn't as good as the first Iron Man, but it definitely wasn't Iron Man 2.

I think the twist is complete shit, and the entire movie after that turned into a mess of bad moment after bad moment. I most certainly like Iron Man 2 more.

Quote from: Podaar on January 28, 2016, 09:56:00 AM
"I want my bird."

Classic.

King Postwhore

Quote from: Kotowboy on January 28, 2016, 09:55:38 AM
Really I've heard from a lot of people that outrighted hated Iron Man 3 & Cars 2 to name just two films.

IM 3 is a fine movie.  Cars 2 is good, not up to Pixar's standards but it's not a bad movie at all.  It's just that they set a high bar with all their other movies. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ariich

Iron Man 3? That was damn awesome! The only weaker one so far was IM2, and even that was solid enough, as others have said.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

jingle.boy

I was amused at the twist with The Mandarin, and was kinda bummed they wasted a lot of potential with Kingsley.  Though, that may be because he's one of my favorite actors of all time.
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

King Postwhore

I must say, I enjoyed his role.  How many times do you see him play a doofus?  It was refreshing.  I also love Guy Pearce as an actor.

jingle.boy

Quote from: kingshmegland on January 29, 2016, 05:30:40 AM
I must say, I enjoyed his role.  How many times do you see him play a doofus?  It was refreshing.  I also love Guy Pearce as an actor.

True, and he played the doofus pretty good.  But that's not what I expect/want from Kingsley.  It's like seeing John C. Reilly in a drama.

King Postwhore

:lol

I've seen him in a few serious roles I liked.  So my wifes work cock blocked me and nerd blocked me.  Lisa has to work Valentine's Day.  She wanted to go to dinner and see Deadpool.  That's my girl.

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 29, 2016, 04:39:24 AM
I was amused at the twist with The Mandarin, and was kinda bummed they wasted a lot of potential with Kingsley.  Though, that may be because he's one of my favorite actors of all time.
See I think they played it perfectly. He so often plays a villain, and he got to do a reasonable amount of that, but because of type-casting I and a lot of other people just didn't see that twist coming. It was one of my favourite things about that film.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

jingle.boy

Quote from: ariich on January 29, 2016, 05:45:29 AM
See I think they played it perfectly. He so often plays a villain, and he got to do a reasonable amount of that, but because of type-casting I and a lot of other people just didn't see that twist coming. It was one of my favourite things about that film.

Between this and the top vid games, I'm beginning to think I don't even know you.   :lol

bosk1

Agreed on all counts, Rich.  :tup

And also, since I was never a fan of Iron Man in the comics and did not follow that character, I had no emotional investment in the character of the Mandarin.  Not sure how much of a role that played in me enjoying the plot twist rather than being outraged by it, but it is possibly a factor.

BlackInk

I haven't ever read a single Iron Man comic and hadn't even heard about the Mandarin before Iron Man 3 came out, and I hated it.

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 29, 2016, 05:52:09 AM

Between this and the top vid games, I'm beginning to think I don't even know you.   :lol
Well they do say opposites attract.

:eyebrows:

jingle.boy

Quote from: ariich on January 29, 2016, 11:45:26 AM
Quote from: jingle.boy on January 29, 2016, 05:52:09 AM

Well they do say opposites attract.

:eyebrows:

Sex me later.  :ariich: + :heybaby:

ariich

BlackInk

Last night's Agent Carter was really bad.

bosk1

I am a couple of episodes behind.  Thus far, I have been enjoying season 2's lightheartedness. 

Adami

I think one of the great things about Marvel shows is the diversity, which allows someone like me to enjoy multiple tones between multiple shows.

While I preferred the more serious tone of Agent Carter season 1, I can find that tone in Agents of Shield, or more intensely in Daredevil or Jessica Jones, and thus can embrace Agent Carter, season 2's more lighthearted classic comic book tone.

That said, I am still not as much of a fan season 2. It's not bad, but I don't think it's as well written or structured as the first season, or in general. That said, I will watch every episode and enjoy it for what I can and still love Peggy, Jarvis, Mrs. Jarvis and of course Howard, not to mention some of those great supporting agents. Also very curious to see where Madame Masques story arch goes.

I am also super pumped for Daredevil season 2, and I am more excited for Civil War than I have been for any other CB movie. Thanks, in large part, to the brilliance of Winter Soldier and my trust in the Russo brothers.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

bosk1

Quote from: Adami on February 03, 2016, 09:56:36 AMI am also super pumped for Daredevil season 2, and I am more excited for Civil War than I have been for any other CB movie. Thanks, in large part, to the brilliance of Winter Soldier and my trust in the Russo brothers.

For those of us like me who may not have been paying close attention, does anyone know whether Daredevil is supposed to appear in Civil War?

Oh, and welcome back.  I saw you lurking the other day and was wondering whether you would post.

kaos2900

So we're 4 episodes into Jessica Jones and not sure if we can continue. It's good but I'm not loving it. Is it worth the investment to finish the season?

TioJorge

Kaos, in my opinion it doesn't even get truly great until the big-bad starts fucking up people's worlds. In fact, I'd probably feel very much the same if it weren't for the antagonist. So yes, I'd say at least stick around until you see David Tennent really go balls to the wall. Stick around for at least 4 or 5 more episodes if you can bear it. If by then you're still bored then yeah it's just not for you.

Bosk, I seriously doubt he'll be showing up. I mean, there's been nothing official said on the matter other than the actor saying he'd love to do it and as far as I know, that's it. I'd be utterly stunned if he did. But as far as anything official goes, no, he's not gonna be involved.

Adami

Quote from: bosk1 on February 03, 2016, 11:23:10 AM
Quote from: Adami on February 03, 2016, 09:56:36 AMI am also super pumped for Daredevil season 2, and I am more excited for Civil War than I have been for any other CB movie. Thanks, in large part, to the brilliance of Winter Soldier and my trust in the Russo brothers.

For those of us like me who may not have been paying close attention, does anyone know whether Daredevil is supposed to appear in Civil War?

Oh, and welcome back.  I saw you lurking the other day and was wondering whether you would post.

Much appreciated Bosk.

As far as DD in Civil War, the answer to that is no, unless it's an amazingly well kept secret or something.

They asked the actor about appearing in Infinity Wars, and he said he has not been contacted about it, and even suggested that if Marvel wanted to, they would be free to recast a movie version of DD for the movies. I highly doubt and truly hope they don't do this, however there is a growing amount of discord and animosity (or so I've read) between the heads of the Marvel movies and the Marvel TV shows. So it wouldn't surprise me to see less and less of any potential crossovers between the two. Unless they start working together, they will remain very separate. This sadly affects a show like Agents of Shield most, where the potential for cross over is much higher. Probably also explains why no one from the show was in AoU, despite being tied in plot wise.

hefdaddy42

Yeah, DD won't appear in Civil War.

The Russo brothers were talking about how many characters were going to appear in Infinity War, though, so if any of the TV characters were to appear in a film, that would be my bet.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Zantera

I don't think any of the Netflix-heroes will appear in the films tbh. The splitting of the TV and Movie division at Marvel is an indication on that I think, as well as most of the comments being somewhat dismissive. Would it be cool to see Daredevil in Infinity War? Sure, but once you take those fairly restrained/realistic characters (by Marvel standards) and throw them against Thanos, how are they gonna go back to fighting normal street thugs after that?

bosk1

Quote from: Zantera on February 03, 2016, 01:58:58 PMSure, but once you take those fairly restrained/realistic characters (by Marvel standards) and throw them against Thanos, how are they gonna go back to fighting normal street thugs after that?

The same way the rest of us do.  One thug at a time.

Adami

Quote from: Zantera on February 03, 2016, 01:58:58 PM
I don't think any of the Netflix-heroes will appear in the films tbh. The splitting of the TV and Movie division at Marvel is an indication on that I think, as well as most of the comments being somewhat dismissive. Would it be cool to see Daredevil in Infinity War? Sure, but once you take those fairly restrained/realistic characters (by Marvel standards) and throw them against Thanos, how are they gonna go back to fighting normal street thugs after that?

Not just that, how are they going to fight Thanos?

Maybe Luke Cage since he has unbreakable skin, but DD? Dude really can't offer much in a situation like that. Nor could JJ really. Will have to see how they handle Iron Fist to gauge him.

TioJorge

Yeah I'm really not expecting to ever see any TV peeps in the movies at all, ever. Movie peeps in the TV shows? Sure, maybe once in a while. But not the other way around, that'd be blasphemous.  :lol (So sad and still for the most part true)

axeman90210

So is Agent Carter really good? I started watching the first run of episodes and then kind of lost track of it.

King Postwhore

I've enjoyed this season so far. Last year was a grower and got better as it went on.  Very good but not great.

Zantera

I think part of what has made those Netflix shows so great so far is that they are smaller in scale and have more of a realistic approach to them. It's not about saving the world or the universe, but cleaning up the city block. I think you risk robbing those characters of what makes them so great if you put them in a big scale movie about saving the universe.