News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Melody vs. Harmony vs. Rhythm

Started by Ħ, August 29, 2011, 10:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rank 'em.

Melody > Harmony > Rhythm
14 (37.8%)
Melody > Rhythm > Harmony
9 (24.3%)
Harmony > Melody > Rhythm
4 (10.8%)
Harmony > Rhythm > Melody
1 (2.7%)
Rhythm > Melody > Harmony
4 (10.8%)
Rhythm > Harmony > Melody
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

sneakyblueberry

Sort of a bumhole question.  I chose the second option though.

Bombardana

ScioPath

ehra

Quote from: zxlkho on August 29, 2011, 10:17:07 PM
.....really?

To be fair, wasn't H also the one arguing that it's was possible to objectively judge if one musician/guitarist was the best?  :P

Sketchy

R>H>M

Rhythm is just something that gets into my head and sticks (especially if it's in 5. I love the feel of five).

Harmony can make some amazing tension and really give a piece/song colour. Without harmony the music can be very grey.

Melody is very nice, but without the other two it is often uninteresting. It is the other two which give rise to the effect that the melody has.

I would list an exception as being when every or a majority of instruments in a piece are playing more melodic lines (including the bass instrument), but still, the various counterpoints still provide a very definite set of shifting harmonies which allow for the overall colourful complexity to be obtained.

Man, I sound like a pretentious moron.

jsem

To the actual quetion:

R>H>M

That's usually how it is when I write too, and the melody always comes to be last when I write.

Sir GuitarCozmo

Harmony-Melody-Rhythm

Any time I'm singing along in the car, if there's a harmony vocal, I always sing that.

pain of occupation

anticipating some interesting discussion, i, unlike most, was pumped when i seen this thread...

kinda derailed in a hurry.

anywayz, too hard to choose between the two, so i guess i'd say:

M=R >>>>>>>               H

Gorille85

ZBomber

I absolutely love vocal harmonies, and harmonies in general, but I don't think I could rank any of those three above the other...

zxlkho

There really can't be any discussion on this... I mean each one is entirely different in every song so...

Unfed Pendulum

Quote from: zxlkho on August 30, 2011, 12:27:19 PM
There really can't be any discussion on this... I mean each one is entirely different in every song so...

That's what I was going to say.
It depends on song and band and genre.

Sometimes I like to listen to Mechugga-chuggah, where R>M>H obviously and sometimes I'd rather listen to some other progressive stuff where M>R>H>M>H>R>H... and so on.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: Unfed Pendulum on August 30, 2011, 12:32:24 PM

Sometimes I like to listen to Mechugga-chuggah, where R>M>H obviously and sometimes I'd rather listen to some other progressive stuff where M>R>H>M>H>R>H... and so on.

Your username makes you awesome.

zxlkho

:lol yeah that's a pretty awesome name.

Gorille85

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on August 30, 2011, 12:33:27 PM
Quote from: Unfed Pendulum on August 30, 2011, 12:32:24 PM

Your username makes you awesome.

THIS :heart

Unfed Pendulum

Yay...
Thanks. Never thought that the Unexpect reference would be recognized so rapidly.
It's Pendulum just because "Disorted Guest" was rejected in the registration process.

I like warm welcomes <3

Bombardana

ariich

Quote from: theseoafs on August 29, 2011, 11:05:51 PM
Quote from: zxlkho on August 29, 2011, 11:04:05 PM
Quote from: theseoafs on August 29, 2011, 11:03:06 PM
Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:00:36 PM
dude it's a question of subjectivity.  do you like apples or oranges.  do you like porcupine tree or opeth.  do you like melody or harmony. i don't see whats so hard to see about that
If you don't have rhythm, melody and harmony in a song, you have a problem (nonmelodic metal excluded, bless its heart).
you can also have drone music, which often doesn't have rhythm.
And you can also have atonal music, which doesn't have harmony, but if our collective knowledge of music is such that threads like these are being made, we don't want to cover too much in the first lesson.
Actually it does have harmony, but it has atonal harmony. If it's written well then it'll still be specific harmonies to create certain moods/vibes.

Anyway why isn't there an option for Harmony = Melody = Rhythm?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

skydivingninja

I care about how all of those three things work together.  Ranking them is just kind of silly. 

antigoon

Quote from: skydivingninja on August 31, 2011, 05:59:26 AM
I care about how all of those three things work together.  Ranking them is just kind of silly. 

This is, I think, why people have a problem with Yahden's question. For me, it's not something that's ever crossed my mind nor is it something that I care to ponder now that it has. It's all about the end result.

jsem

Quote from: skydivingninja on August 31, 2011, 05:59:26 AM
Actually, upon further thought - this is my conclusion as well.

Ħ

Orbert

Orbert

Ultimetalhead

After discussing it with my fellow music majors, we decided that Melody and Rhythm are self-sufficient. Harmony requires a melody, therefore it's weaker.

So, Melody = Rhythm > Harmony.

Orbert

Yeah, that's pretty much was I was saying.