Harmony > Rhythm > Melody
1 (2.7%)
Rhythm > Melody > Harmony
4 (10.8%)
Rhythm > Harmony > Melody
5 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Ħ

I went with M>H>R.  Curious to see what you guys think.

zxlkho

Sigz

There's no way I could possibly make a statement like that.

Adami

www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Ħ

I mean, generally, what's the order of importance for you?  Obviously there will be exceptions.

antigoon

Never stop posting here. It would be a shame to lose such a specimen.

dethklok09

MasterShakezula

zxlkho

black_biff_stadler

Ravenheart

Gadough

Well, Melody and Harmony both sound like stripper names, and Rhythm is what you would (hopefully) have while banging them, so based on that, I'd have to say....uhh....

Ok, I don't know where I was going with that. But that's alright, because this thread makes no sense to begin with.

Ħ

Quote from: Gadough on August 29, 2011, 10:51:40 PM
this thread makes no sense to begin with.
it makes perfect sense dude

Gadough

Hot damn you're right, I just had to clear my head first. Now it makes sense. That being said,

Quote from: Ravenheart on August 29, 2011, 10:49:46 PM
All 3 of those things suck.

MasterShakezula

Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 10:54:50 PM
it makes perfect sense dude
No.  You forgot to include ensemble type. 

The size of a group playing a piece, as well as what instruments are part of its orchestration can play a large role in the overall sound.

A 18 man big band, 13 of whom are playing tubas, and the rest of whom are either a pianist/synthesizer or percussionist, is going to sound a lot different than a whiny girl and her acoustic guitar, even if they make recordings of the same exact song.   

zxlkho

Seriously Hayden, this thread does not make sense. Even if it did... why?

dethklok09

Well asking why wouldn't make sense if the thread did make sense.

Jirpo

theseoafs

I know I'm new and everything, but I still think I can discern a silly thread from a thread which deserves to exist. This is the former.

Gadough

Quote from: zxlkho on August 29, 2011, 10:57:00 PM
Seriously Hayden, this thread does not make sense. Even if it did... why?

dethklok09

Ħ

dude it's a question of subjectivity.  do you like apples or oranges.  do you like porcupine tree or opeth.  do you like melody or harmony. i don't see whats so hard to see about that

zxlkho

Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:00:36 PM
dude it's a question of subjectivity.  do you like apples or oranges.  do you like porcupine tree or opeth.  do you like melody or harmony. i don't see whats so hard to see about that

....no i don't think it works like that

theseoafs

dude it's a question of subjectivity.  do you like apples or oranges.  do you like porcupine tree or opeth.  do you like melody or harmony. i don't see whats so hard to see about that
If you don't have rhythm, melody and harmony in a song, you have a problem (nonmelodic metal excluded, bless its heart).

zxlkho

Quote from: theseoafs on August 29, 2011, 11:03:06 PM
dude it's a question of subjectivity.  do you like apples or oranges.  do you like porcupine tree or opeth.  do you like melody or harmony. i don't see whats so hard to see about that
If you don't have rhythm, melody and harmony in a song, you have a problem (nonmelodic metal excluded, bless its heart).
you can also have drone music, which often doesn't have rhythm.

Ħ

just tell that to steven wilson

theseoafs

Quote from: zxlkho on August 29, 2011, 11:04:05 PM
you can also have drone music, which often doesn't have rhythm.
And you can also have atonal music, which doesn't have harmony, but if our collective knowledge of music is such that threads like these are being made, we don't want to cover too much in the first lesson.

theseoafs

Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:04:50 PM
What?

MasterShakezula

Or you could have spoken post-modern comedy imposed over a friend tuning his guitar while suffering from bad gas, which would have none of them, if he's got poor pitch.

Ħ

Quote from: theseoafs on August 29, 2011, 11:07:06 PM
Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:04:50 PM
What?
bass communion is sw's favorite project and it has no rhythm

theseoafs

Gadough

Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:09:40 PM

so what you're saying is that bass communion is a white man

theseoafs

Quote from: Gadough on August 29, 2011, 11:12:41 PM
Quote from: Ħ on August 29, 2011, 11:09:40 PM

so what you're saying is that bass communion is a white man
Black people have rhythm, but proggers have rhythms, what with the time changes and all.

Gadough

....Touche, new guy. Touche.

I'm going to bed.

MasterShakezula

Hopr you remember to tuck yourself in in 19/16 and please, make sure you're not in A minor.