Previous topic - Next topic

Bombardana

Quote from: Jamariquay on May 11, 2009, 01:13:01 PM
SX Top 10:

1. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
2. The Odyssey
3. Rediscovery / The New Mythology
4. Through The Looking Glass
5. Revelations (Divus Pennæ Ex Tragoedia)
6. Ex Oculus Ex Inferni / Set The World On Fire
7. Domination
8. Seven
9. Eve Of Seduction
10. Paradise Lost

Basically, Paradise Lost is my favorite album, and I love all the big long epics they've done as well.

Very fun band.
Niiiiiiice list

glaurung

I just listened to The Serpent's Kiss ad I though this thread deserved a bump.  :metal

PlaysLikeMyung

Global Laziness

abydos

The solo in Eve of Destruction slays. I just don't know if it's a keyboard or a guitar solo (i think it was around the 5 min mark)

Portrucci

Just listen to V. Definitely my favourite album of theirs. Extremely solid across the board.

For me it goes

V
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Paradise Lost
Symphony X

glaurung

Quote from: Portrucci on June 03, 2009, 12:38:09 AM
Just listen to V. Definitely my favourite album of theirs. Extremely solid across the board.

For me it goes

V
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Symphony X

Damnation game?

LudwigVan

Quote from: glaurung on June 03, 2009, 06:25:40 AM

For me it goes

V
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Symphony X

Damnation game?

Damnation Game should slot right below TDWOT and just above PL on that list.

Dublagent66

I like PL more and more every time I listen.  I also have The Odyssey.  I borrowed Twilight in Olympus and TDWoT from a friend and those were pretty cool too.  I want to get their entire discography.  Why the hell doesn't best buy carry any of their older stuff?  Every time I go there, all they have on the shelf is PL and occasionally The Odyssey.   ???

PlaysLikeMyung

Quote from: CoNsTaNt ChAoS on June 03, 2009, 08:17:11 AM
I like PL more and more every time I listen.  I also have The Odyssey.  I borrowed Twilight in Olympus and TDWoT from a friend and those were pretty cool too.  I want to get their entire discography.  Why the hell doesn't best buy carry any of their older stuff?  Every time I go there, all they have on the shelf is PL and occasionally The Odyssey.   ???

I had that problem. I ended up getting everything from the s/t to V in a used record shop. I could probably have ordered them online, but at the time I didn't have a credit card.

MetalMike06

I really need to get the rest of their albums. (I only have PL, Odyssey, and TDWOT). Just need a job and some money first...   :\

Portrucci

Quote from: LudwigVan on June 03, 2009, 06:30:43 AM
Quote from: glaurung on June 03, 2009, 06:25:40 AM

For me it goes

V
Twilight in Olympus
The Odyssey
Paradise Lost
Symphony X

Damnation game?

Damnation Game should slot right below TDWOT and just above PL on that list.

I had not really gave it the time of day until today. Gave it a listen, and it kicks serious ass. Ludvig is eerily correct, it slots right under Tragedy on the list. I highly recommend it to people who haven't heard it yet! The Edge of Forever is my favourite off it  :hefdaddy

InTheNameOfGod

I don't think I could put their albums in any such order if I tried.

That's how solid their discography is.

Paradise Lost is album of 2007 for me. Closely followed by FOABP by Porcupine Tree.

PlaysLikeMyung

Damnation Game is criminally underrated.

Bombardana

I'm one of those guys who had to look around for those earlier CDs in the original version, I don't like the so-called special edition with the weird border. It mean my copy of Divine Wings has the bottom part of the back written in Russian. :rollin

Cool Chris

mini-bump...

I have been revisiting Symphony X the last week or so and have found myself enjoying DG-TDWoT-TiO much, much more than their later albums. Those albums seem much more varied in their material. I don't have PL so have only listened to clips online, and while it is awesome what it is, I don't think it is as solid of an album as their earlier work due to its more one-dimentional quality.

PlaysLikeMyung

Those earlier albums are better overall because a genius named Thomas Miller was very prominent in writing them.

But all their work is really good. Even Paradise Lost delivers pure awesome.

perfey

Awesome band!  :metal  :metal Need to listen to some more of them but I really enjoyed Paradise Lost the first time I heard it and I even like the song self even more, it was awesome live and the band too! I like Pinellas keyboard set up, reminded me of KM back in the days. Set the World on fire is such a cool intro and really like The Serpents Kiss video and song.

DarkLord_Lalinc

Pinnela is a good keyboardist except for 1 thing. His leads. They don't rock.

Portrucci

^ If I am being honest here, I agree, and I also think Rudess's synth solos also suck. I am really not a fan of crazy keyboard wanking that sounds like a mess of notes, id much prefer a harmony with the guitar solo.

Volk9

Quote from: CoNsTaNt ChAoS on June 03, 2009, 08:17:11 AM

The Best Buy near me always has The Odyssey, Paradise Lost, and TDWOT. Recently though, I've pretty much only seen PL and occasionally The Odyssey.

Progmetty

QuoteV: The New Mythology Suite was the first album to feature new bass player Michael Lepond, who was chosen out of many other bassists to replace Thomas Miller. With the addition of Lepond, 3 of the 5 band members now answer to the name Michael. Michael Romeo says the band addresses this problem by calling him [Romeo] "Michael," keyboard player Michael Pinnella "P," and by simply calling Michael Lepond "Lepond."

It seems like the same problem DT had but dealt with differently lol

abydos

And the Twilight in Olympus lineup is:

* Russell Allen
    * Michael Romeo
    * Michael Pinnella
    * Thomas Miller
    * Thomas Walling

lol

Anyone know what Miller and Walling are doing? I really loved their work on TiO.

QuoteOn November 21, 2008 at a Symphony X show in Sayreville, NJ, halfway into the set, Russell Allen said "Tom, get your ass up here!" He was referring to none other than Thomas Miller, who came on the stage to join his former bandmates. Allen went on to say that "without this guy there would be no Divine Wings of Tragedy, and there would be no Symphony X." Tom shook hands / hugged with everyone in the band and then took a bow. From this, Miller seems to be on good terms with the band.
Cool.

PlaysLikeMyung

Quote from: abydos on June 25, 2009, 08:53:15 AM
Anyone know what Miller and Walling are doing? I really loved their work on TiO.

QuoteOn November 21, 2008 at a Symphony X show in Sayreville, NJ, halfway into the set, Russell Allen said "Tom, get your ass up here!" He was referring to none other than Thomas Miller, who came on the stage to join his former bandmates. Allen went on to say that "without this guy there would be no Divine Wings of Tragedy, and there would be no Symphony X." Tom shook hands / hugged with everyone in the band and then took a bow. From this, Miller seems to be on good terms with the band.
Cool.

I almost went to that show too. But then they added the Philly date and I ended up going there the day after this took place.

DarkLord_Lalinc

Quote from: Portrucci on June 24, 2009, 09:42:30 PM
^ If I am being honest here, I agree, and I also think Rudess's synth solos also suck. I am really not a fan of crazy keyboard wanking that sounds like a mess of notes, id much prefer a harmony with the guitar solo.

There are great keyboard solos, *looks at Ayreon*, there are pretty cool sounding synth solos in Ayreon material. Speaking of JR, I think he has some great lead solos (Home, Octavarium, Fatal Tragedy, etc.) As a synth player myself, I can tell that there are a lot of elements involved into making a good synth solo. In terms of the program you're using (the sound), the song in which you're playing the solo and, of course, the solo itself.

Volk9

Quote from: DarkLord_Lalinc on June 27, 2009, 04:06:39 PM
Quote from: Portrucci on June 24, 2009, 09:42:30 PM

There are great keyboard solos, *looks at Ayreon*, there are pretty cool sounding synth solos in Ayreon material. Speaking of JR, I think he has some great lead solos (Home, Octavarium, Fatal Tragedy, etc.) As a synth player myself, I can tell that there are a lot of elements involved into making a good synth solo. In terms of the program you're using (the sound), the song in which you're playing the solo and, of course, the solo itself.

I love the solo in Sixth Extinction!

"Here come the machines! Prepare to dieeee!!!!"

My favorite keyboardist :metal Alwaysl ove his synth work

abydos

The keyboard solo from the guy in The Flower Kings is one of the most amazing solos on any instrument ever made, imo. Fantastic piece. Which reminds me, I haven't listened to 011010112312``a in a long time.

InstrumentalFiasco

One of the few bands that rival DT...The Album "The Odyssey" Rivals the best Dream Theater have to offer.

InTheNameOfGod

Quote from: InstrumentalFiasco on June 28, 2009, 03:13:28 AM
One of the few bands that rival DT...The Album "The Odyssey" Rivals the best Dream Theater have to offer.

I agree.

They haven't made a single bad album and are way up there with DT in terms of brilliant musicianship.

Sometimes I even think they're better than DT.

InstrumentalFiasco

There different though...My Favorite albums are

V
Odyssey
Divine Wings of Tragedy

I also love Paradise Lost, I need to buy Twilight in Olympus.

Ultimetalhead

I went on a Symphony X rampage today. I got Twilight in Olympus, V, and The Odyssey. Listened to them all. Twilight in Olympus is my favorite so far, but it's still not as awesome as Paradise Lost. I love that album.

PlaysLikeMyung

Twilight in Olympus is a much underrated album. I mean, not all the songs are good, but it's still great overall.

Smoke & Mirrors is in my top ten songs of all time. Through The Looking Glass is up in my top twenty

LudwigVan

Twilight in Olympus is indeed excellent, but I think it suffers from a rather thin-sounding production. 

Nick

Michael Romeo stopped by the other day, got a picture of him hanging out at my apartment.

PlaysLikeMyung

Hey.

That's not very nice. :P

Meeting the band was the coolest thing I've done with my life so far. Russell Allen is a MASSIVE human being. I felt small when he was sitting :lol . They're all really nice guys though. Mike P and Mike LePond didn't really talk much though