Live Scenes from NY

Started by Syzygos, September 06, 2011, 02:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syzygos

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get hold of the "Live Scenes from New York" CD with the original cover (e.g. the one that was recalled)?

Implode

theseoafs

1. Find it on eBay
2. Pay lots of money for it, probs
3. ???
4. Profit!

dbrooks22

Yeah i think there was a guy on here who bought one recently.  I think he bought it from Amazon and they sent him the recalled version...

TheOutlawXanadu

Quote from: dbrooks22 on September 06, 2011, 02:47:59 PM
Yeah i think there was a guy on here who bought one recently.  I think he bought it from Amazon and they sent him the recalled version...

;)

Nekov

On a related matter, does anyone know why the DVD doesn't have the full concert?

Scooterfruit

I've seen it quite often at HMV.

But I'm in Canada...

rush-signals

Syzygos

Quote from: Scooterfruit on September 06, 2011, 03:46:15 PM

But I'm in Canada...

Are there any chances of you buying me one to send me, and I'll give you the money?

Elite

But I'm in Canada...

I highly doubt this. OP is talking about the cover with New York burning, with the Twin Towers on it. It was released on 9/11 and immediately recalled because of the burning towers. You can't find this in your local CD stores.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

3xodus

Quote from: Nekov on September 06, 2011, 03:36:41 PM
On a related matter, does anyone know why the DVD doesn't have the full concert?

Space requirements. The cd was 3 discs and the dvd was only one with special features packed all over it. That and those goofy ass rendered images that MP seemed so excited about in the commentary.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: 3xodus on September 07, 2011, 07:32:49 AM
Quote from: Nekov on September 06, 2011, 03:36:41 PM

Space requirements. The cd was 3 discs and the dvd was only one with special features packed all over it. That and those goofy ass rendered images that MP seemed so excited about in the commentary.

Are you talking about the hippy background videos with the swirly colours and the Impact font text that said METROPOLIS?  :|

Zydar

Speaking of which:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_recounts_bizarre_911_coincidence.html

Mike Portnoy Recounts Bizarre 9/11 Coincidence

As we approach the tenth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, drummer Mike Portnoy (Adrenaline Mob, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold) shared with AOL's Noisecreep his recollections of the day. He said, "I remember waking up Tuesday, September 11, 2001 to my wife telling me to put on the TV because I wasn't going to be going into [New York City] as planned.

"DREAM THEATER was working in New York City at the time mixing our album 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' and I would've been driving in that afternoon for our session. But as the events of the morning unfolded, I found myself glued to the TV in disbelief as to what I was witnessing. It was all too surreal. I felt like I was watching a Will Smith Hollywood film. It couldn't possibly be really happening.

"When I finally did return to work in New York City a few days later, it was just as surreal as there was a sadness and almost deafening silence still lingering throughout the streets of Manhattan.

"On a personal side note, one of the strangest coincidences of my career was that DREAM THEATER's 'Live Scenes From New York' was released on Tuesday, September 11th 2001, the cover artwork of which illustrated a big apple (representing New York City) with the World Trade Center in flames!"

Ħ

"deafening silence still lingering"

Why didn't he write lyrics like this?

Orbert

Quote from: Elite on September 07, 2011, 05:46:55 AM

But I'm in Canada...

I highly doubt this. OP is talking about the cover with New York burning, with the Twin Towers on it. It was released on 9/11 and immediately recalled because of the burning towers. You can't find this in your local CD stores.

Incorrect.  There were a lot of copies that did not get recalled, and you hear about people finding them in regular stores once in a while.  The original cover with the towers.

3xodus

Quote from: BlobVanDam on September 07, 2011, 07:37:23 AM

Are you talking about the hippy background videos with the swirly colours and the Impact font text that said METROPOLIS?  :|

Yep, back in 2000 each one took 3 days to render apparently. I have no idea why...

BlobVanDam

Quote from: 3xodus on September 07, 2011, 07:49:18 AM
Quote from: BlobVanDam on September 07, 2011, 07:37:23 AM

Yep, back in 2000 each one took 3 days to render apparently. I have no idea why...

Well in my 100% unbiased opinion, I'd say their current videos are much better. And I'm sure glad computers are a little more powerful than they were in 2000 if that's all they could manage. :lol

DarkLord_Lalinc

On that subject matter, have you been doing videos for the new tour?  :D

ZeppelinDT

Quote from: Orbert on September 07, 2011, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: Elite on September 07, 2011, 05:46:55 AM

But I'm in Canada...

Incorrect.  There were a lot of copies that did not get recalled, and you hear about people finding them in regular stores once in a while.  The original cover with the towers.

I'm pretty sure they're still available in other countries too.  They really aren't that rare.  I wouldn't pay more than like $20 or $30 for it.

$20 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-Live-Scenes-New-York-OOP-Sealed-/250886781802?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a6a047b6a#ht_1845wt_1007

$15 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-Live-Scenes-NY-Rare-Cover-Art-/130572667421?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item1e66bcca1d#ht_500wt_1023

3xodus

Quote from: BlobVanDam on September 07, 2011, 07:51:24 AM

Well in my 100% unbiased opinion, I'd say their current videos are much better. And I'm sure glad computers are a little more powerful than they were in 2000 if that's all they could manage. :lol

Oh wow, you have something to do with their videos? I didn't know that. I gathered you were somehow close enough to them to get an advanced copy of the cd but that's awesome. Next one you HAVE GOT to sneak in a tribute to the hippy swirly tunnel that played when you started the lsfny dvd..

Zydar

Or sneak in a DTF easter egg or something :lol

jingle.boy

I bought mine back in 03 or so (Canadian also), and by then, the original cover was back on the shelves up here.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Madman Shepherd

A) It took them a few days to recall the copies so a lot of people bought them and immediately realized what a collectors item they would be

B ) I think after the drama died down, the record company probably put them back out on the market cause really, that would be a waste of 50,000 CDs or whatever. 

ZirconBlue

Quote from: Madman Shepherd on September 07, 2011, 09:21:02 PM
A) It took them a few days to recall the copies so a lot of people bought them and immediately realized what a collectors item they would be

B ) I think after the drama died down, the record company probably put them back out on the market cause really, that would be a waste of 50,000 CDs or whatever. 

The ones that were recalled just had a Majesty symbol sticker slapped on the front (to cover the burning apple) and then were sent back out.

cyberdrummer

I saw this in the  'Questions from Correspondents' section of the Daily Mail today (a national newspaper over here).

TheAtliator

I have one with the original cover, and I bought it from a used CD and record store at the same time as all the other albums that day. But I wasn't actually there, my dad just bought them and brought them home. It didn't even occur to me for a few minutes and then my brother reminded me about the cover. It was priced the same as the other CDs so obviously the people at the store didn't know.

Orbert

Also, I didn't think it was banned; more like voluntarily pulled from distribution out of sensitivity for what had happened the day it was released.

The Scorpions cover I can see being banned in some countries.  That's just poor taste.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Orbert on January 04, 2014, 07:17:51 PM
Also, I didn't think it was banned; more like voluntarily pulled from distribution out of sensitivity for what had happened the day it was released.
This, and even so, it still isn't all that rare.  You can still find it.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

jingle.boy

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 05, 2014, 02:39:23 AM

Yeah, I got mine off the shelves from Futureshop (Canadian equivalent to BestBuy) sometime in '03.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

JayOctavarium

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 05, 2014, 04:10:29 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 05, 2014, 02:39:23 AM

Yeah, I got mine off the shelves from Futureshop (Canadian equivalent to BestBuy) sometime in '03.

Hell I've acquired two copies of it off shelves in the past few years. One was used (doesn't count) and the other in a record store unopened. I think I sent one to Dark Castle a few years ago as a secret santa gift (I'm sure it was Dark Castle...)

ytserush

As I recall, it was only pulled in the US.

Sold the extras I had a long time ago with the expectation that if this got reissued, it would be with the original cover.

I certainly wouldn't pay more than $30 for the original today.

Sonic_Sundries

If folks are still looking for the original "pulled" artwork, I purchased a partial case (so under 30) at a store liquidation recently and I've put them on Amazon.  New, sealed, all that good stuff.  The Amazon product page for the pulled version is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX29XM

By the way, I'm sorry if this violates forum rules.  I looked at them and didn't see a prohibition, but I may have missed something.

Sonic_Sundries

I still have some copies left, and I've dropped the price down to $27.99 (free 2-day shipping for Amazon prime members)

a51502112

I've got the VHS with the burning towers.  :rollin