News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

9/11

Started by TempusVox, September 10, 2011, 09:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuineaPig

I'm thinking about making a post in P/R that deals with some of that.

King Postwhore

I think you all need to separate what you feel about America right now and just feel the loss we all felt that day.  I feel the same every time I see that in other countries.  It's ok to be human folks.  It makes me sad that today's youth is like that.  Be human folks.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Super Dude

I mean granted I was 11 at the time, so I didn't understand what was going on at all.  I figured it was no different than the Timothy McVeigh thing, and even for that you could argue that not fazing me should say something about how little I understood.

Gadough

I've been to Ground Zero twice since it happened. It's pretty surreal seeing this big, (mostly) empty space where the towers used to be.

Super Dude

I haven't been to TWC or Ground Zero ever.  And when I went to NYC the year before and stood atop the Empire State Building, I didn't even see it.

King Postwhore

Oh I do understand but you're a well educated man and you know what this means to many generation.  I was so mad at the time what McVeigh did.  My anger has always been to extremists.  What bothers me is seeing some of the posts in this thread.  If people feel that way, don't post that you don't give a shit.  Is anybody moral anymore?  Imagine if someones family member passed away and people cam in and said I doesn't affect me.  I just think if you have nothing good to say, don't post in this thread.

I have no problem SD what you are saying and having that discussion on another thread. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

AcidLameLTE

I was watching Dragonball Z when I found out.

Deadpool

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 11, 2011, 05:46:39 AM
I think you all need to separate what you feel about America right now and just feel the loss we all felt that day.  I feel the same every time I see that in other countries.  It's ok to be human folks.  It makes me sad that today's youth is like that.  Be human folks.

Not all of today's youth are insensitive assholes like the couple of kids that posted in this thread saying that they don't care or whatever bullshit. I was in 5th grade at the time that it happened and I understood that it was a huge tragedy so I don't get the whole "not giving a fuck and I didn't care" attitude that people my age have. Have some respect for the lives that were lost.

ClairvoyantCat

I think you all need to separate what you feel about America right now and just feel the loss we all felt that day.

Definitely.  It just usually doesn't sit well with me when a tragic event like this is turned into some big "Go America" thing.  3000 people died.  Treat it like the tragedy it is, nothing else. 

Of course, keep in mind that I'm mostly speaking towards the treatment given in school, as we went through a big assembly thing that treated the event very much in the former way that I mentioned above instead of the latter. 

Gadough

Quote from: Super Dude on September 11, 2011, 05:56:58 AM
I haven't been to TWC or Ground Zero ever.  And when I went to NYC the year before and stood atop the Empire State Building, I didn't even see it.

To be honest, there's not much to see. It was just surreal to stand in the same spot where it all happened. And seeing the construction in progress was kind of neat.

Super Dude

Not Ground Zero, I meant the towers before they were blown up.  Sorry if the OP didn't make that clear (I meant the year before 9/11 happened).

Gadough

Oh, sorry. Reading comprehension fail on my part. :facepalm:

SPNKr

Quote from: Deadpool on September 11, 2011, 06:00:29 AM

Not all of today's youth are insensitive assholes like the couple of kids that posted in this thread saying that they don't care or whatever bullshit. I was in 5th grade at the time that it happened and I understood that it was a huge tragedy so I don't get the whole "not giving a fuck and I didn't care" attitude that people my age have. Have some respect for the lives that were lost.

huh, wow. the guys that said that are all your age too and guess what i'm a year older than you so lol and dont call us kids

Deadpool

Oh, ok lol. Then don't act like kids.

King Postwhore

I think it's safe to say that I haven't yet seen to many at my age say what some have said here that are younger.  Call it a lack of understanding or lack of maturity.  Just don't post something bad on this thread if you don't care.   Sure there a some at my age that may feel the same but the %'s are a lot smaller than the younger generation.

Zook

Oh sorry, I thought this was Dream Theater Forums. See ya later, YouTube.

Gadough

Quote from: Zook on September 11, 2011, 06:33:13 AM
Oh sorry, I thought this was Dream Theater Forums. See ya later, YouTube.

....What?

Deadpool

I believe he's implying that our recent posts are ridiculous like YouTube comments.

Zook

Quote from: Deadpool on September 11, 2011, 06:37:33 AM
I believe he's implying that our recent posts are ridiculous like YouTube comments.

Pretty much.

I was in 11th grade when it happened, going to my Algebra 2 class. I hated that class. Anyway, they wouldn't let us watch the news 'cause we had to learn and stuff. I probably slept in class that day too.

lonestar

I remember standing in a bar wit 50 other people in stunned silence watching as events unfolded. The feeling of our collective innocence being stolen from us in such a violent manner is one that will stay with me forever. My prayers go out to those who live with the legacy of 9/11 every dat of there lives.

Dr. DTVT

Bars are open at 5 am out there lonestar?

I was a senior in college, and I was in advanced inorganic lab.  We pretty much stopped lab and joined about 300 other people crammed into a classroom that holds 30 desks to watch the TV.  As shocking as the attacks in NY and Washington were, it was the Shanksville plane that really scared me.  Shanksville is about 20 minutes from where I grew up, and I have family in the Shanksville area.

lonestar

11 am after. I was sleeping at the mpment, damn nitpicking scientist you.

I'm not being insensitive, and my heart goes out to those that lost loved ones, but I think all of you need to read this:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27617.msg1047921#new

Tick

I got emotional watching the coverage of the families being let in the see the memorial and the names of there lost loved ones for the first time. Seeing a mother and her two teenage daughters weep as the touched the name of there father/husband, made me quite choked up.

Heretic

I remember where I was the day we found out. It was a very, very surreal moment. Everyone was either incredibly silent, or emotionally overwhelmed, and I was very young at the time, so it wasn't as easy to grasp what had happened and the pain that surrounded it.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ones who lost loved ones on this tragic day.

antigoon

Quote from: ReaPsTA on September 11, 2011, 01:05:09 AM
Quote from: antigoon on September 11, 2011, 12:52:53 AM
Honestly, I don't know how many more times I really need to see it...the explosions and collapses, I mean. I feel like I'm supposed to have interest in reliving it again, but why? We've been treated to those horrific images so frequently since that day.

I know what you mean.  I think a lot of people in mentally bad situations hurt themselves because they try to relive old traumas over and over again.  Women with physically abusive fathers who date physically abusive men are an obvious example of this.

But let me try to flip that around a little bit.  My experience with 9/11 was like virtually everyone else around my age who lived in the eastern or central timezones - was in school, someone said it was happening, we turned on the TV and watched it.  So right away my experience with the events lives in a level of removal from it.  My interaction with other people about it is commenting on it and speculating on what happened next.  The physical and mental trauma of the people there is only seen through news cameras, and from what I remember most of the footage from the event was wide angles of the towers, rather than anything on street level.  So unless you were in or around the city, you never really had any experience with events that defined the world and permanently effected over a million people emotionally.

Some time around last year, the White House did a photo op where they flew a plane over New York at a low height, and tons of people who saw it thought it was another terrorist attack.  I actually remember people on the internet wondering why the New Yorkers were 'freaking out.'  I think this reaction shows a shockingly low amount of intelligence and/or empathy.  Your perspective on things changes greatly when you saw two buildings burning because of airplane crashes.  The intelligence thing I don't know what to do with.  But through the power of film, the empathy problem can be helped.

I guess I hadn't thought of it this way. I wasn't in the city that day, but my father was a few blocks away from Ground Zero and just waiting for him to get home was close enough for me.

Well, that and all the cable specials, YouTube videos, and network broadcasts that came after.

MetalMike06

Yeah, 8th grade here. It's still so spooky to think about the fact that I watched thousands of people die LIVE on television. (towers collapsed as we were watching)

CrimsonSunrise

Tired and coming off a 12 hour nightshift.....just got to sleep. I receive a call at 6:00 am from my brother Bob in Australia. He says..."What the fuck is going on there???" He tells me to turn on the TV...and I turn on CNN.....and I'm shocked at what I'm seeing.  I watch these two buildings billowing smoke. 10 minutes or so later the first tower falls...I watched... I couldn't breathe. I felt anger...sorrow...helplessness..... My first thought, having been in the towers 6 years earlier, was that there had to be tens of thousands of people in those buildings.

A year or so later, people online were saying... "Can't you just let it go??...can't you just move on??" Well......To say I was infuriated and frustrated by statements like these would be the grandest of understatements.

Someone said once.... to the effect of..."Those who forget the past are destined too repeat it..." We can NEVER forget.

Please... my friends, my fellow countrymen, never forget what happened on that day. Remember those people....just like you and me...on those planes. The men and women on United 93, that were determined... knowing they were fighting a battle that regardless of the outcome... they were probably going to die, still pressed on. The courage... the intestinal fortitude.... I can only HOPE I would have the same determination and conviction while faced with that scenario.

I..........will NEVER forget the 343 fellow firefighters .... nor my fellow countrymen on those planes, or in the towers. The NYPD and Port Authority heroes.  The definition of the United States of America is not a political sound byte on CNN. The definition is a people who are caring, resilient, and a people who will PERSEVERE during times of tragedy.  Please take the time, at least today on this 10th Anniversary, to reflect and remember this day.

zxlkho

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 11, 2011, 06:33:00 AM
I think it's safe to say that I haven't yet seen to many at my age say what some have said here that are younger.  Call it a lack of understanding or lack of maturity.  Just don't post something bad on this thread if you don't care.   Sure there a some at my age that may feel the same but the %'s are a lot smaller than the younger generation.

Calling what I said a lack of maturity is total bullshit. I fully understand what happened back then, I just don't think we need to go through the same media hype bullshit every year on the day.

Also, yes I was really drunk when I posted that, but I stand by it. I'll leave the thread now.

bout to crash

Although I agree some people have made insensitive/dickish comments in here, I also think everyone is getting more upset than they normally would because it's regarding 9/11.

Anyway, I'm wearing my SFNY shirt today. Hope that doesn't bother anyone.

Ben_Jamin

Today is the day when fear was branded in our minds. Never fear the enemy, as the enemy doesn't fear you. I have sympathy for the innocence lost, but not for the effect of the devastation.

splent

I was in class, freshman year in college, I heard from classmates that a plane crashed into the WTC, so immediately after class I left to find a TV, and found out that they collapsed.  I was just like holy shit... I sent an announcement about giving blood over the campus email, to help victims, because at that point we thought like 15,000 had died.  We also were fearful that more planes were going to crash... our campus was right by ADM as well as a nuclear power plant.  I was at the red cross for over 4 hours waiting to give blood. 

emindead

I'm walking from the F block which is the maths department and where my locker was. I over-hear some kids that are one grad above mine,
"This is the beginning of WWIII. This is the end of the world."
What are they talking about? Which class did they just came back from? Where they watching a movie?
I must get to Spanish class in the D block. There's Martin. He's giving me that stupid condescending smile, showing me his wide gap between his front teeth. He tries to put a hand on my shoulder and I tell him,
"You heard about that? WWIII is starting. Some kids in 7th grade were talking about it"
"Ha ha, right? Yeah, you don't say (he has no idea what is going on). What's up!!"
I got away from him and got into my class. I try to ask some people if someone knows what's going on. I repeat what I heard on the Maths block and noone seems to know.
Our teacher comes inside the classroom. He's wearing the everyday white-robe. His receading hairline shows openly the graveness on his forehead, something indeed has happened. His glasses doesn't let my classmates and I identify where he's looking; who's in trouble.
"Chicos, two airplanes have crashed against the Twin Towers in New York and they have collapsed."
Dozens of gasps echo through the walls. We seem shocked, but we are only grasping the abstract concept of terror, we really have no idea the magnitude; we haven't seen footage. The following hours fill the images with our imagination.
Doing the lunch file my cousin says,
"I bet these are terrorist attacks."
What is a terrorist attack, I wonder. Two plane crashed into two buildings. Buildings I never visited but knew exactly where they were and how they looked like. Back in class someone mentioned how last summer he had leaned on one glass and felt the vertigo.
Wait a second. My parents arrived two days ago from Washington, from a flight that flew over the New York city skyline. I know exactly what the twin towers are.
"Did the terrorist (singular) head the plane towards the tower and seconds before jumped with a parachute? Why would anyone commit suicide like. They are not Japanese, they are not kamikazes. How was this portrayed?"
Dick teacher won't let us research information on IT class. For a few seconds we can only see the older kids monitors showing pictures of one tower burning, the other shows another plane far away.
"I'm gonna get lucky, I thought, and guess that's the second plane in course towards the building. It's so far away, though. Hey, that's the second plane going towards it, I said."
I'm reaching home, my brother is entering at the same time.
"Did you hear the news, I said."
"Yes"
"Poor Bush. He has to handle all of this in his second year."
Mere silence on the way up in the elevator. I closs my parents door and turn on the TV. Shit!
I'm off to sleep and hear an airplane flying near my appartment. My mum comes and we pray. Two days ago she was there. She saw the towers on the 9th.
Wednesday's Bright Yellow Headline: "ESTADOS UNIDOS EN ALERTA MÁXIMA."
The following terrible seven years ensue. They did affect us all. The consequences of that day are still applying. Those wars are far from over.
Endless internet jokes start flooding our emails: "¿Por qué Os Mata si el Os ama?" "2025: Dad, what happened in 1945? -We defeated the Nazis. And what happened in 2001? -The Taliban attacked us. Dad, what are the Taliban?"

carl320

I was studying abroad in Tokyo when it happened.  I turned on the TV when I got back to my place (it was 10:30 pm there) and saw the pictures.  The rest of the night went by in a blur.  I remember feeling empty when I saw the second tower fall.

King Postwhore

Quote from: zxlkho on September 11, 2011, 09:39:07 AM
Quote from: kingshmegland on September 11, 2011, 06:33:00 AM

Calling what I said a lack of maturity is total bullshit. I fully understand what happened back then, I just don't think we need to go through the same media hype bullshit every year on the day.

Also, yes I was really drunk when I posted that, but I stand by it. I'll leave the thread now.

Letters, that's my point.  Instead of being a dick, just don't post.  Today happens to be the 10 year anniversary.  Let people who want to mourn or reflect  do so.  I few months ago, did you hear many people talk about it?  I like you and the other who made those comments, I just think you should be more mature and let it go for a few days.  That's all.