Main Menu

9/11

Started by TempusVox, September 10, 2011, 09:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zook

Quote from: kingshmegland on September 11, 2011, 10:42:21 AM
Quote from: zxlkho on September 11, 2011, 09:39:07 AM
Quote from: kingshmegland on September 11, 2011, 06:33:00 AM
I think it's safe to say that I haven't yet seen to many at my age say what some have said here that are younger.  Call it a lack of understanding or lack of maturity.  Just don't post something bad on this thread if you don't care.   Sure there a some at my age that may feel the same but the %'s are a lot smaller than the younger generation.

Calling what I said a lack of maturity is total bullshit. I fully understand what happened back then, I just don't think we need to go through the same media hype bullshit every year on the day.

Also, yes I was really drunk when I posted that, but I stand by it. I'll leave the thread now.

Letters, that's my point.  Instead of being a dick, just don't post.  Today happens to be the 10 year anniversary.  Let people who want to mourn or reflect  do so.  I few months ago, did you hear many people talk about it?  I like you and the other who made those comments, I just think you should be more mature and let it go for a few days.  That's all.

But that's like his job. Who will pay the bills?!

ariich

Enough of that, zook, no need to act like a douche yourself.

But king is talking sense. Just because there might be a lot of media nonsense, that doesn't take away from what happened, or make it less meaningful for those who lost someone or was simply upset by the loss of lives. If you don't care about the day, fine, just stay out of the thread.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

dethklok09

Honestly I don't remember where I was at the time, nor did I really care when I was that young tbh (I was like 6). However now that I'm much more mature, I'm realizing how horrible this is. Even recently I've been researching the history of religious violence, and how people can do stuff this just sickens me.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: dethklok09 on September 11, 2011, 10:51:12 AM
Honestly I don't remember where I was at the time, nor did I really care when I was that young tbh (I was like 6). However now that I'm much more mature, I'm realizing how horrible this is.
This.

Sigz

Quote from: ariich on September 11, 2011, 10:47:39 AM
But king is talking sense. Just because there might be a lot of media nonsense, that doesn't take away from what happened, or make it less meaningful for those who lost someone or was simply upset by the loss of lives. If you don't care about the day, fine, just stay out of the thread.

Seriously wtf people.

I'll admit, I don't have the same sense of shock and horror regarding 9/11 as many/most people (specifically older people) do. I never have. As has been stated before, 9/11, as horrible and destructive as it was, is nowhere near the level of other tragedies and atrocities committed in recent times. However, part of what makes it ring so profoundly isn't the numbers, it's how it impacted the mindset of so many - the simple fact is no one really would have thought something like that was possible or probable.

When people recall how they were at the office 1000 miles away when they heard about it, or whatever other "boring" story, they're not recalling what they did, they're recalling how they felt, and how such an event so drastically shifted their worldview. As Lonestar said, "The feeling of our collective innocence being stolen from us in such a violent manner is one that will stay with me forever".

But for people my age, that innocence didn't exist, simply because our worldview at that age was nowhere near wide enough to even have a place to contextualize the event. For me, I was 11 when 9/11 happened, and I started paying attention to world events (in at least some form) when I was 12 or so - my entire worldview has developed in a time when shit like this happens. I can't truly empathize with the fear and shock and confusion people felt that day because I never truly felt it.

I can, however, understand why people have the feelings they do, and I have the fucking respect not to shit all over them when they do. King was 100% right, some of the posts in this thread have been incredibly immature.

lonestar

The effects of 9/11 on me were truly felt the week after, when for five or so days, one didn't see a single plane in the sky.  It was beyond anything imaginable, to think that we could be crippled and filled with fear like never before.  Never again will I feel as safe as I did the day before.  I know I am not the only one with these sentiments among those who were of a mature age when this event took place.  On top of the many lives, that is what they took from us on that day, a piece of our security and well being.  That is why I never forget.

One of the most moving events of my life was in a bar the Saturday after.  It was a karaoke night, and a friend of mine who is also a former Marine Seargent, played Amazing Grace on his bagpipes to a bar of over 200 people.  The silence among the music was harrowing, tears of aguish and sorrow were on every face.

Arch Benemy

I was at school, would have been in year 8 or 9, when the event took place. None of the teachers told us anything about it. It wasn't until I got home and turned on the radio that I realised something had happened. By that time both towers had fallen. I feel kind of pissed that I missed such an important event, although obviously I experienced the immediate aftermath. Not being from the USA, I can't say that day really had a massive affect on me emotionally, but from a purely logistical point of view my mind boggles at what happened that day. That people would go through such troubles and to such extremes simply to kill other people makes me realise that I'll never truely understand human nature. We're just fucking animals man.

ddtonfire

I remember that entire day from the moment the TV was turned on in class until I laid my head down that night. I wasn't old enough to understand much, but I did realize that life in America from that point forth would never be the same. My thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

And seriously, some of the posts in this thread are making me consider not visiting here anymore. I'm sure you wouldn't be so vile in front of a grieving widow, a child who lost a parent, or a mother who lost a son when you aren't hiding behind a screenname online. You make me sick.

At the very least, this is a message board representing Dream Theater, so your posts reflect badly on a band mostly comprised of NEW YORKERS.

CrimsonSunrise

Quote from: ddtonfire on September 11, 2011, 05:41:50 PM
I remember that entire day from the moment the TV was turned on in class until I laid my head down that night. I wasn't old enough to understand much, but I did realize that life in America from that point forth would never be the same. My thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

And seriously, some of the posts in this thread are making me consider not visiting here anymore. I'm sure you wouldn't be so vile in front of a grieving widow, a child who lost a parent, or a mother who lost a son when you aren't hiding behind a screenname online. You make me sick.

At the very least, this is a message board representing Dream Theater, so your posts reflect badly on a band mostly comprised of NEW YORKERS.

Well said Sir

ReaPsTA

Quote from: Sigz on September 11, 2011, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: ariich on September 11, 2011, 10:47:39 AM

Seriously wtf people.

I'll admit, I don't have the same sense of shock and horror regarding 9/11 as many/most people (specifically older people) do. I never have. As has been stated before, 9/11, as horrible and destructive as it was, is nowhere near the level of other tragedies and atrocities committed in recent times. However, part of what makes it ring so profoundly isn't the numbers, it's how it impacted the mindset of so many - the simple fact is no one really would have thought something like that was possible or probable.

When people recall how they were at the office 1000 miles away when they heard about it, or whatever other "boring" story, they're not recalling what they did, they're recalling how they felt, and how such an event so drastically shifted their worldview. As Lonestar said, "The feeling of our collective innocence being stolen from us in such a violent manner is one that will stay with me forever".

But for people my age, that innocence didn't exist, simply because our worldview at that age was nowhere near wide enough to even have a place to contextualize the event. For me, I was 11 when 9/11 happened, and I started paying attention to world events (in at least some form) when I was 12 or so - my entire worldview has developed in a time when shit like this happens. I can't truly empathize with the fear and shock and confusion people felt that day because I never truly felt it.

I can, however, understand why people have the feelings they do, and I have the fucking respect not to shit all over them when they do. King was 100% right, some of the posts in this thread have been incredibly immature.

Really, really good post.

antigoon

You know I thought I was over it all but I have to admit watching the Mets pre-game ceremony a few hours ago was somewhat emotional for me. Make fun of me all you want but that first game back in 2001 was really meaningful for people in the area. For a lot of New Yorkers, Mike Piazza became a hero that night.

Super Dude

Wait, when was this?  Was that the night of the attack or something?

antigoon

Quote from: Super Dude on September 11, 2011, 06:31:37 PM
Wait, when was this?  Was that the night of the attack or something?

No, it was, I believe, two weeks later. It was the first major sporting event in NYC since the attacks and people just weren't sure if it was the right time to start it all up again. It was a game against a bitter divisional rival, but the atmosphere was really subdued. Piazza displayed some late-game heroics and the place just exploded with energy. I think it gave people a chance to forget about everything that had happened just for a short while. It was definitely a special moment.

Beautiful Agony

I was a sophomore in high school and I remember the day starting out like it was any other day.
I was in my first class which was world history and after the teacher took attendance one of the
teachers from across the hall came in and said that the World Trade Center was hit by a plane.

She turned on the tv and we saw that the first tower was on fire and not to long after that the second tower was hit. I remember thinking after that happened that WWIII had started. The rest of that day it seemed like time had been slowed down.

My deepest sympathies to anyone who lost someone on that terrible day and to anybody who
lost their loved ones as result of the two wars that have followed.

ehra

I remember I had been in class at the time when another teacher came in and said something about a plane hitting the buildings in New York and the Pentagon.  After that a kid in the class was taken away; I never knew him well, I think one of his parents was in one of the buildings.

edit: It's funny how quick some people are to check this thread the second someone posts in it even though they supposedly don't give a shit.

Lynxo

I was 14 years old when it happened. I didn't follow the news like some of you did, but I read about it a lot, and I talked about it with my parents and at school a lot.

The only direct affect it had on me was that my father was a travel agent, and off course, his business suffered a LOT from the events.

I know I can never understand the event like the people that were actually there or were more directly affected. But it still gets me emotional seeing footage from it. And I am even more upset about the aftermatch - this was a moment when the USA could have united all nations. Instead, the goverment managed to get everyone pissed of at them. The world is a more terrifying place now, and so in that aspect, the terrorists did won.

For my generation, and especially us from Sweden, this was our first catastrophe and major event that we were old enough to understand and thus, I'm sure that it affected us and our way of thinking. Up until that point, our generation had a really easy-going life, but this was an event that more or less changed our view of the world.

Jirpo

I saw it when I woke up next morning (12 hours after it happened). I certainly didn't grasp the enormity of the situation at the time. It was a huge tragedy...

wkiml

I still have a hard time dealing with it.....yesterday was hard as it seem that almost every channel on TV had some sort of commentary/documentary about the attacks

My oldest son now being 17 asks lots and lots of questions about that day...most of which I tell him I prefer not to talk about, if he wants to ask generalized questions about the attacks, but when he digs for details about being there and watching the collapse of the towers I just kindly ask him to change the subject

jasc15

I was pretty upset with the way my school handled it, which is to say they didn't handle it whatsoever.  It was my first week of college and I had 2 classes that day.  One from 8am - 930am, and another from 10am-1230pm.  Someone sitting next to me got a call on his cell phone probably around the time of the first plane crash, and briefly mentioned it to me.  We didnt make anything of it, cuz it seemd like a minor incident.  Class ended at 930, and I went to my next class.  2 1/2 hours of calculus, then I went to my car to go home.  I ran into a friend in the parking lot, and he seemed a bit excited and asked if I heard about what happened, and that's when i learned there was another plane.  I put on the radio in the car and finally learned what happened.  Westbound highways on Long Island were closed, so I had to find another way home.  I was a bit occupied at the time to be mad about what happened at school, but later on it came to really bother me.