News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

Death Metal

Started by Ultimetalhead, July 01, 2009, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorAction

Quote from: twosuitsluke on August 26, 2024, 02:59:53 PMI hope most of you who are following this have caught up now. Let's get back to it, and we're entering the top 5 now...

5. Civerous - Maze Envy

Finally got round to this. At the end of the first listen right now and have dug it very much. Been pulling faces in the pounding parts and the use of atmospherics is so effective.

I'm a casual DM listener and so often feel like a band really wants to be an extreme metal band but comes across as just that - merely aspiring. This, though - heavy and convincing as fuck. Works for me a surprising amount.  :tup

wolfking

Quote from: twosuitsluke on September 05, 2024, 03:40:20 AMKade, did you get around to checking out The Key by Nocturnus? If you haven't, you really should.

I'm spinning this now mate.  For 1990, this sounds amazing.  Spotify did give me a Full Dynamic Range Edition whatever that means but regardless, I love the guitar tones on this.  This is a perfect combination of death and thrash metal.  it's like Morbid Angel mixed with Slayer or Megadeth with better production.  I dig the vocals here and the riffs are killer.  Tremendous debut.  Might have to explore them a little more.

twosuitsluke

Quote from: DoctorAction on September 09, 2024, 08:37:59 AMFinally got round to this. At the end of the first listen right now and have dug it very much. Been pulling faces in the pounding parts and the use of atmospherics is so effective.

I'm a casual DM listener and so often feel like a band really wants to be an extreme metal band but comes across as just that - merely aspiring. This, though - heavy and convincing as fuck. Works for me a surprising amount.  :tup
Glad you enjoyed it dude.

I'll try to get to posting #3 later this evening. 

Quote from: wolfking on September 09, 2024, 06:33:27 PMI'm spinning this now mate.  For 1990, this sounds amazing.  Spotify did give me a Full Dynamic Range Edition whatever that means but regardless, I love the guitar tones on this.  This is a perfect combination of death and thrash metal.  it's like Morbid Angel mixed with Slayer or Megadeth with better production.  I dig the vocals here and the riffs are killer.  Tremendous debut.  Might have to explore them a little more.
It's so good dude. Honestly it's their pinnacle. The follow up was pretty good, but I think The Key is the best the band put out.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

wolfking

No surprise.  That was quality stuff.  Listened to the whole thing and might even spin it again tomorrow.

twosuitsluke

It's been long enough between posts. Let's get to the top 3...

3. Laceration - I Erode

I'd not heard of Laceration until I did a bit of research, for any albums I may have missed, in preparation for this countdown. I saw the album had a bit of traction, and that it was about to release. Of course there was one other thing this record had going for it. You guessed it, it's a 20 Buck Spin release.

I'm not sure who Laceration remind me off. Maybe Suffocation? I'm hardly an expert on Suffocation though, so maybe not the best comparison. There is another band I can't place, that I'm reminded of as well, especially in the vocals.

I Erode is short and sweet, at 32 minutes, but packs a punch. Actually, a whole flurry of punches. It breaks no molds but it's straight up just some of the best death metal I've heard this year, mixing up old school death, with a modern edge to it.

If I've managed to gain any trust from you guys, with the albums on this list, then trust me on this one :metal
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

nick_z

Couldn't agree more about this Laceration album, Luke  :metal It's very "classic" death metal, but it's got some sort of X-factor, I think.
I guess it boils down to great riffage, great production, and all-around DM badassery  :biggrin:

Their first record is very good too.

wolfking

I checked this when you guys mentioned it a few weeks back, it was very good.  Should

nick_z

New single from Carnosus, "Worm Charmer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q22orsLwu1Y

Their 2023 album (Visions of Infinihility) was really good, imo. The first single from the upcoming record was your more typical fast, tech-death song...this one is a bit different and  has a real cool, nasty Morbid Angel groove to it.

Glasser

Quote from: nick_z on September 13, 2024, 09:57:03 AMNew single from Carnosus, "Worm Charmer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q22orsLwu1Y

Their 2023 album (Visions of Infinihility) was really good, imo. The first single from the upcoming record was your more typical fast, tech-death song...this one is a bit different and  has a real cool, nasty Morbid Angel groove to it.

The new one crushes!

DoctorAction

Muchly dug the last Carnosus. Biggly good. This sounds good too.  :tup

twosuitsluke

It's been over a week, let's throw out my #2...

2. Unhallowed Deliverance - Of Spectres and Strife

I'm not 100% sure where I got this recommendation, but I think it was reddit. Of Sceptres and Strife is the debut album by German band Unhallowed Deliverance, and it knocked my socks off from first listen. One of the first things that jumped out was that bass. It's got a very distinct sound, can be heard throughout this record and is played with technical proficiency. I love death metal with this kinda sound. It reminds me of Cynic, or something like that, but more technical. This album packs in plenty of proggy tech death, along with the frantic bass lines and sick riffs. Just when I thought they couldn't give me more of what I want, they throw in a really melodic guitar solo. Vocally this is not my favourite type of death metal vocal, and borders on what I don't like, but the band are so good musically, that it doesn't even matter.

I've been pimping this band as much as I can, as I think for a debut, this deserves all praise in the world. The production is really, really good to my ears and only enhances the experience. I'll be keeping an eye on this band, to see if they can follow this. For everyone who has been following this countdown, do yourself a favour and blast this today  :metal