News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

Official DT Top 50 Thread Mark II (bss4life15 up now - starting page 79)

Started by hefdaddy42, November 12, 2011, 04:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

hefdaddy42

35.  Innocence Faded

I know this is higher than many people would have it, but I have loved this song ever since I picked up Awake.  The music is so fresh and engaging, and the band's musicianship is really on display here.  Plus, the Dixie Dregs-inspired outro is easily one of their best ever.  Just a fantastic song, and it definitely stands out from the rest of the fare on Awake.

34.  Surrounded

This song is just wonderful.  Not long enough to get distracted, and the music just soars.  Wonderful lyrics as well.  TBH, the song would probably be rated higher if it weren't on Images & Words.  There is so much gold on that album that it can be hard to stand out. 

33.  Vacant

For my money, the best song on Train of Thought.  The music is so sparse and stripped down, and the lyrics so haunting, that the overall effect is quite striking.  I also love how this song bears no touch whatsoever from JP or MP, so the creativity of the other 3 members really shines through.

32.  To Live Forever

The first time I encountered this song was on the VHS of Images & Words: Live in Tokyo.  What a joy!  The influence of U2 is clear on this track (and several others in their catalogue).  In encountering the many versions (studio & live) of this song, I must say that I love the sound of the '91 version, but I prefer the extra verse of the '94 version.  Go KM!

31.  The Count of Tuscany

I know many people have this song much higher.  TBH, we are getting to the point in my list where some of the differences between spots are decimal spots.

At any rate, the music on this song is incredible, and when Black Clouds & Silver Linings came out, I thought it was the best music they had written in years.  But the lyrics are, we shall say to remain respectable, of dubious quality.  And I don't care if they were written that way on purpose in a tongue-in-cheek manner, or if they are just bad lyrics.  Either way, their quality is nowhere near the quality of the fantastic music, and that dichotomy pulls the song down for me.  I can still listen and enjoy it, but with outstanding (or even passable) lyrics, this could have probably been a Top 10 song for me.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

BlackInk

My thoughts on TCoT too. The rest is nice, Vacant and Surrounded is wonderful.

Mladen

Great to see Innocence faded in top 40.  :tup

Also, this is the first time I see Vacant listed as someone's favorite song on Train of thought. Interesting opinion is interesting.  :smiley:

Elite

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 27, 2011, 04:02:51 AM
35.  Innocence Faded

I know this is higher than many people would have it, but I have loved this song ever since I picked up Awake.

No, it's not. I have this at least 20 spots higher.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Elite on November 27, 2011, 06:35:36 AM
35.  Innocence Faded

I know this is higher than many people would have it, but I have loved this song ever since I picked up Awake.

Yes, but you're one person, not many people.

Elite

:-[

I don't get why Innocence Faded is disliked so much by the majority of the fans.
Your list so far is nice though, interesting choices so far. I'm curious to see what's in your top.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:

Metrovarium

I used to dislike Innocence Faded, but now I enjoy it. The ending solo is one of the best parts of Awake, IMO.

lumpy33

Quote from: Elite on November 27, 2011, 07:47:56 AM
:-[

I don't get why Innocence Faded is disliked so much by the majority of the fans.
Your list so far is nice though, interesting choices so far. I'm curious to see what's in your top.

i think that those of us who aren't into that tune find it to be too cheesy, probably because of the backround vocal "ahh's" in the chorus.

hefdaddy42

30.  Lost Not Forgotten

What can I say?  From the opening piano theme, to the stunning full band intro, to tickle section, and the evocative lyrics of an invincible fighting force in the desert, this song really works for me.  It's fun and has great musicianship.  Can't wait to hear this one live.

29.  In The Presence Of Enemies Part 1

OK, now we are starting to get into my very favorite DT tracks.  This was a real breath of fresh air on Systematic Chaos, and an absolutely fabulous intro to the album.  Unfortunately, it was also far and away the best thing ON the album, but that's neither here nor there.  The music on this piece holds up against any of the DT classics, and the lyrics are really good as well.  What's not to like?

28.  Under A Glass Moon

One of my favorites from one of the greatest albums ever recorded.  This song includes one of JP's greatest guitar solos, displaying both virtuosity and soulfulness, with a great sense of melody.  The lyrics are, well, they are what they are.  But JLB is phenomenal on this song, absolutely one of his best, and I was thrilled to see this live at my one and only DT show. 

27.  Home

This song has some killer riffage and basswork by JM.  The nods to Metropolis are very strong in this, and well done.  For a long time, this was my favorite from SFAM, but it has slipped a little in recent years.  Still excellent by any measuring stick.  Surprisingly, I also like the radio edit of this song.

26.  Speak To Me

An unreleased song written during the Falling Into Infinity sessions, this is a true gem.  IMHO, DT hasn't done another song quite like this one.  The lyrics are heartfelt, but not cheesy, and the music is very inviting; one of their best examples of songwriting talent.  For me, the quintessential version of this song is the performance recorded on Five Years In A LIVEtime from the Rotterdam Fan Club show.

BlackInk

ITPoE1 is truly awesome. So is Under A Glass Moon... and Lost Not Forgotten, Home and Speak To Me

Jirpo

Quote from: Elite on November 27, 2011, 06:35:36 AM
35.  Innocence Faded

I have it nearly 30 spots higher :p

lumpy33

YAY!  lost not forgotten!   i don't know why this awesome tune gets more bad press than good in these forums, but i'm glad it's on your list.

Pols Voice

Cool list, hef. LNF and UAGM are currently 29th and 28th on my list.

Mind Trail

Quote31.  The Count of Tuscany

I know many people have this song much higher.  TBH, we are getting to the point in my list where some of the differences between spots are decimal spots.

At any rate, the music on this song is incredible, and when Black Clouds & Silver Linings came out, I thought it was the best music they had written in years. But the lyrics are, we shall say to remain respectable, of dubious quality.  And I don't care if they were written that way on purpose in a tongue-in-cheek manner, or if they are just bad lyrics.  Either way, their quality is nowhere near the quality of the fantastic music, and that dichotomy pulls the song down for me.  I can still listen and enjoy it, but with outstanding (or even passable) lyrics, this could have probably been a Top 10 song for me.

Now, wait a minute man! That's not how it is. You must be confused.

hefdaddy42

Holy crap.  Guys, I will try to get the rest of my list up ASAP.

hefdaddy42

Sorry about the delay guys.

25. Erotomania

Although it's not my favorite DT instrumental, this is one that I see as kind of quintessential.  It's got the crazy time signatures, the rapid changes, the crazy virtuosity, and awesome solos.  This is one of those songs that I find it difficult to believe that some DT fans don't like (although I know there are some of you out there).

24. Bridges in the Sky

The first couple of times I heard this, the "shaman" really threw me off, but I have now embraced it.  The riffage in this song is just killer, and JLB sounds amazing.  I also love the chorus (and pre-chorus), the lyrics, melody, and delivery all come together wonderfully.  Also, the instrumental section is good but doesn't drag on too long like they oftentimes do in DT songs.  All in all, a very tasty bit of awesomeness.

23. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Yes, fanboys, for me it's one song. 

Shortly after this was released, this ascended near the top of my rankings.  It's just chock full of stuff.  Some of it is obviously better than others, but taken as a whole, this song is an incredible achievement, particularly by JR - this is arguably his first early major contribution to the band, especially given the way the song was written. 

22. Raise The Knife

The first time I heard this song, I was flabbergasted that it was left off Falling Into Infinity.  No one was happier than me that they finally broke it out for live performances on the Octavarium tour, and I was thrilled that they played it at the one and only DT show I've ever been to (RCMH).  Wonderful lyrics, nice textures, interesting things going on - I don't know what there is not to like with this song.

21. Don't Look Past Me

Kind of like RTK, this song is so good that it's almost criminal that it never appeared on a DT album.  Great songwriting and lyrics, and I really wish they could figure out some way to perform it live, although the multiple vocal lines would make it almost impossible, especially now that MP is no longer around to help in that department.  Just a great, great song.

hefdaddy42

And how about the next five as well?

20. Pull Me Under

The first DT song I ever heard, on the radio back in 1992.  This is the song that set DT on their path, and it set me on a path as well, to broaden my musical horizons.  I was unfamiliar with the term "progressive rock" at the time - I wasn't a big fan of bands like Yes, Kansas, or Rush, although I knew their "hits" from classic rock radio.  But hearing the way that DT used rock instrumentation in heavily orchestrated music with extended song lengths, odd time signatures, and various movements within songs opened up a whole new world for me.

Oh, and the song is pretty good, too.  :biggrin:  Hamlet FTW  :metal

19. Fatal Tragedy

On an album chock full of great music, this one is set apart for making my jaw drop.  The composition on this one is great, and the musical performances second to none.  I love the shrink-and-grow section; some fans may see it as cheesy or pretentious, but I see it as an interesting musical experiment by artists wanting to stretch themselves.  This song really gets me hyped up.

18. The Mirror

Already a fan of Images & Words, I was really pleased once I got Awake and discovered with this song that in addition to being incredible musicians, DT could also write ass-kicking riffs.  The opening riff (which I had already heard from "Puppies on Acid") remains one of my favorite riffs of all time.  An indelible moment in DT history.

17. Take the Time

Love it or hate it, there is no other song in the DT catalogue like this one, which meshes together so many different styles into one cohesive whole.  In particular, their use of funk elevates this song into a higher stratosphere than it may otherwise have reached.  JLB's vocal performance on this song is jaw-dropping; the bridge is one of the most difficult pieces to sing that I've ever attempted.  To be honest, I just really love this song, but if the lyrics in the chorus weren't so dumb ("It's time to take the time"), it would probably be a Top 10 song for me.  But hey, Top 20 is nothing to shake a stick at.

16. Disappear

Probably one of their most evocative and emotional songs, the tone of Disappear is set early on with JR's creepy keyboard textures, which are followed by JP's depressing acoustic guitar chords.  The lyrics are also haunting throughout, and JLB's delivery is strong and emotional.  The song also produces a nice effect with it's change from 5/8 in the early parts to 6/8 in the last verse.  Simply breathtaking, one of the highlights of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Elite

Awesome to included Raise the Knife. Truly an under appreciated gem.

Mladen

Wait a minute, that's just too many awesome songs in one update.

Pull me under, Erotomania, Bridges in the sky, Raise the knife, Fatal tragedy and Disappear ( :tup for this one in particular) are all brilliant and would make my top 25 without a doubt.

And I had no idea Don't look past me was any good, I haven't heard it.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Mladen on December 31, 2011, 07:06:52 AM
And I had no idea Don't look past me was any good, I haven't heard it.
Reverse this state of affairs with all speed.

hefdaddy42

What the hell, nothing else is going on right now...

15. Breaking All Illusions

This is it, IMHO the creme de la creme of DT's latest album A Dramatic Turn of Events.  This song is full-on prog from start to finish, and features the return of the mighty John Myung to lyrics writing.  The best thing I can say about this song is that it makes me happy.  From start to finish I have a grin on my face.  I understand that there is a similarity in structure between the opening few minutes of this song and the opening few minutes of Learning To Live, but after that the similarity fades for me.  I love the chorus of this song, and I love MM's drumming - every time you hear his rapid-fire double bass, it is a sign that awesomeness is getting ready to start.  Also, the instrumental section is just ridiculously charming and fun.  Love it, love it, love it!

14. The Glass Prison

Although I had been a DT fan since 1992, this was the first of their songs that had a physical effect on me.  Just a total ass-kick from start to finish, truly the heaviest of their heavy.  None more heavy for DT.

13. The Spirit Carries On

For me, the best that Scenes From A Memory has to offer.  On the face of it a tribute to Pink Floyd, this song has become a live staple, one of the few in DT's catalogue.  Most bands have those few songs that are guaranteed crowd-pleasers and so they get played all the time - this is one such for DT, and I am glad I got to see it live at RCMH.  Also, this song features one of JP's greatest solos.

12. Hell's Kitchen

Many people view this as no more than a lead-in to Lines in the Sand, but it's a great instrumental in its own right.  Probably the best move that Kevin Shirley ever made was removing this section from Burning My Soul and telling DT that it was its own piece and should be developed as such.  It truly soars, with glorious themes.  It almost never gets played live, which is a shame.  Hopefully now that MP is gone, this will one day return to the live rotation.

11. Eve

My favorite of the DT instrumentals, it is, for me, their most effective ballad, even without any lyrics.  A truly haunting main theme, which we get on piano at the beginning and then replicated by JP on electric guitar in the last "verse."  The music is haunting and yet vibrant, and MP's drum work is also very good on this song.  At this point in their career, he was often busy for busy's sake, but he is very tasteful on this recording, which adds a lot to the song by way of leaving stuff out.  Just a glorious, glorious song.

theseoafs

Great list, and some pretty surprising picks too. I never really took Don't Look Past Me seriously; maybe I should give it a closer look now.

But Eve is not better than Hell's Kitchen.

Not at all.

hefdaddy42

Mladen

BlackInk

All nice ones, though several songs I would have put higher than this.

Love BAI and SDoIT.

Nekov

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 31, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

12. Hell's Kitchen

Many people view this as no more than a lead-in to Lines in the Sand, but it's a great instrumental in its own right.  Probably the best move that Kevin Shirley ever made was removing this section from Burning My Soul and telling DT that it was its own piece and should be developed as such.  It truly soars, with glorious themes.  It almost never gets played live, which is a shame.  Hopefully now that MP is gone, this will one day return to the live rotation.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of my top DT songs as well for being a magnificent piece of music.

wasteland

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 31, 2011, 03:03:07 PM
12. Hell's Kitchen

11. Eve

My favorite of the DT instrumentals, it is, for me, their most effective ballad, even without any lyrics.  A truly haunting main theme, which we get on piano at the beginning and then replicated by JP on electric guitar in the last "verse."  The music is haunting and yet vibrant, and MP's drum work is also very good on this song.  At this point in their career, he was often busy for busy's sake, but he is very tasteful on this recording, which adds a lot to the song by way of leaving stuff out.  Just a glorious, glorious song.

I could not agree more on that, Hef! It's a real shame both of them have not been played since 1998...

Omega

hefdaddy42

?