News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened

Started by GuineaPig, December 21, 2011, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuineaPig

Quote from: orcus116 on April 30, 2012, 06:14:18 PM
Didn't he bail on LOST after season 1?

I believe his creative input more or less ceased after the pilot.

orcus116

Well that explains why it was all downhill after season 1. I remember seeing some interview with the other two executive producers and they didn't really seem to have a grasp on how to develop a show.

HarlequinForest

I started The Shield recently.  What an intense and addicting show.  About to start season 4.

orcus116

I couldn't make it past the second episode. I'm sure the characters get a bit more fleshed out but everything seemed a bit typical. Like you have the do-no-wrong main cop everyone loves who does his own thing and sticks it to those boring by-the-book other cops on the force. The whole pacing seemed way too quick as well. Also I just finished watching The Wire so that might've had something to do with it.

GuineaPig

Quote from: orcus116 on April 30, 2012, 06:17:55 PM
Well that explains why it was all downhill after season 1. I remember seeing some interview with the other two executive producers and they didn't really seem to have a grasp on how to develop a show.

I don't think Abrams had much input over season 1.

Besides, it's a lot easier to throw eggs into the air than to catch them.

RuRoRul

Quote from: HarlequinForest on April 30, 2012, 06:42:59 PM
I started The Shield recently.  What an intense and addicting show.  About to start season 4.
:tup My favourite TV show of all time, alongside The Wire.

Super Dude

Quote from: GuineaPig on April 30, 2012, 07:01:36 PM

I don't think Abrams had much input over season 1.

Besides, it's a lot easier to throw eggs into the air than to catch them.

Yeah he did, he developed the whole mythology for the island and everything.

I'm curious, what do y'all think of his recent studio output? Star Trek, Super 8, etc.?

Dimitrius

I really enjoyed Star Trek. Super 8 was OK, a tribute to Spielberg sci-fi films. Haven't seen Ghost Protocol.

King Postwhore

Quote from: orcus116 on April 30, 2012, 06:48:19 PM
I couldn't make it past the second episode. I'm sure the characters get a bit more fleshed out but everything seemed a bit typical. Like you have the do-no-wrong main cop everyone loves who does his own thing and sticks it to those boring by-the-book other cops on the force. The whole pacing seemed way too quick as well. Also I just finished watching The Wire so that might've had something to do with it.

The Shield is way more in depth than that and all the characters morph as the show goes on.  There are many layers to the characters in other seasons.  Give it another chance.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Super Dude

So basically, Pete Campbell is a younger Mitt Romney. The timeline's a bit off but the point still stands.

GuineaPig

I would vote for Mitt Romney if Alison Brie was his wife.

Super Dude

Dude, fuck that, I'd just elect her for president. :lol

Implode

Quote from: BlackInk on April 21, 2012, 05:34:27 AM
Are there any more Avatar: The Last Airbender or Legend of Korra fans on this forum?

Late response, but me.

I'm behind though. I need to catch up before this weekend.

BlackInk

Quote from: Implode on May 01, 2012, 11:23:20 AM
Do it! Korra is great.

FlyingBIZKIT

Quote from: RuRoRul on April 30, 2012, 07:04:57 PM
Quote from: HarlequinForest on April 30, 2012, 06:42:59 PM
:tup My favourite TV show of all time, alongside The Wire.
I finished Season 5 of The Shield a few months ago, and haven't gotten back on it!

It's so underrated! I also hear amazing things about The Wire. I think my favorite show is Breaking Bad  :metal

GuineaPig

General thoughts on a couple of shows I've been watching:

Parks and Recreation has recovered a bit from what in general has been a relatively weak second half to the season.  Some very funny moments in the last two episodes, and the return of Burt Macklin is always welcome.

Girls and Veep have both been very good.  Very funny, well-drawn characters, and very distinct comic voices in both.  They've both been renewed for a second season, so yay!

Ryzee

Quote from: GuineaPig on May 04, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
General thoughts on a couple of shows I've been watching:

Parks and Recreation has recovered a bit from what in general has been a relatively weak second half to the season.  Some very funny moments in the last two episodes, and the return of Burt Macklin is always welcome.

[

Agreed.  I'm loving Paul Rudd as Bobby Newport.

AcidLameLTE

Sigz

GuineaPig

I remember seeing a series of tweets by people who thought that Game of Thrones was family-friendly entertainment... except for the gay sex, which was simply going too far.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: GuineaPig on May 05, 2012, 09:55:03 AM
I remember seeing a series of tweets by people who thought that Game of Thrones was family-friendly entertainment... except for the gay sex, which was simply going too far.
I don't remember much gay sex.  But there is plenty of sex, for sure.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

ReaPsTA

Essentially, two camps developed in the writers room.  Group A were the guys who wanted to keep it focused on the characters and how they struggled with being abandoned on an island.  Group B were the guys who wanted to make it a Sci-Fi mythology show.

Gee, I wonder who won that argument?

The King in Crimson

I think if they didn't want it to 'develop' into a sci-fi/fantasy series, they shouldn't have introduced so much sci-fi/fantasy bullshit into the show... in the beginning.

I dunno, it just sounds like a cop-out when 'We didn't have a plan!' is the more likely answer.

GuineaPig

One would really think that at some point, networks will start airing their premium programming at other times than Sunday night.  There's Mad Men, Veep, Girls, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, all airing tonight, plus some other decent stuff (like some of Fox's animation bloc, Showtime shows).

axeman90210

Started a re-watch of Firefly last night :tup

GuineaPig

Fucking hell.  Second part of Breaking Bad's fifth season won't appear until Summer 2013.

Implode

Quote from: BlackInk on May 01, 2012, 01:24:47 PM
Quote from: Implode on May 01, 2012, 11:23:20 AM
Do it! Korra is great.

And I've done it now. It is great. it's just so...beautiful.

orcus116

Quote from: GuineaPig on May 21, 2012, 02:47:09 PM
Fucking hell.  Second part of Breaking Bad's fifth season won't appear until Summer 2013.

Zook

BlobVanDam

DAMMIT Sanctuary just got canceled. :tdwn

The SyFy channel now has ONE scifi show I watch. In fact, it may actually be the last real scifi show they even have now (Warehouse 13).

Adami

Quote from: BlobVanDam on May 21, 2012, 10:15:27 PM

The SyFy channel now has ONE scifi show I watch. In fact, it may actually be the last real scifi show they even have now (Warehouse 13).

Syfy is such a joke now that I was honestly shocked they renewed warehouse 13.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Adami on May 21, 2012, 11:04:25 PM
Quote from: BlobVanDam on May 21, 2012, 10:15:27 PM

Syfy is such a joke now that I was honestly shocked they renewed warehouse 13.

Just you wait, they'll probably move it to Sanctuary's death slot now just to be sure.  :\ And is the spinoff coming this year? Hopefully the franchise will be around a little while longer. Then again, it is SyFy........

Super Dude

What the hell do they show now if not sci-fi? Bear in mind I haven't watched SyFy since Andromeda ended.

hefdaddy42

Anyone else watch the end of House last night?  What did you think?
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Super Dude on May 22, 2012, 03:25:27 AM
What the hell do they show now if not sci-fi? Bear in mind I haven't watched SyFy since Andromeda ended.

Um.... wrestling, and reality shows about ghosts, or something.