Common Misconceptions

Started by Implode, February 07, 2012, 03:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_biff_stadler

That the fire powerup had any practical use in Super Mario Bros. 3 besides when you come across the coins trapped in ice.

wolfandwolfandwolf

Quote from: black_floyd on February 07, 2012, 07:49:56 PM
That the fire powerup had any practical use in Super Mario Bros. 3 besides when you come across the coins trapped in ice.

*That the fire power up in Super Mario Land for the Game Boy had any practical use.

black_biff_stadler

It was actually a rubber ball and in the 4th world there were two different coin rooms that had 255 coins in them because they were completely full of coins and the only way to get them was with it. But beyond that, it did really suck that they bounce off aimlessly into the sky rather than along the ground.

Implode

x. The first 10 pages of Homestuck are a great representation of the 4500 page comic.

wolfandwolfandwolf

Quote from: black_floyd on February 07, 2012, 08:04:31 PM
It was actually a rubber ball and in the 4th world there were two different coin rooms that had 255 coins in them because they were completely full of coins and the only way to get them was with it. But beyond that, it did really suck that they bounce off aimlessly into the sky rather than along the ground.
Well bugger me.

black_biff_stadler

In front of everyone?!that ain't a "no" by the way

wolfandwolfandwolf

BlobVanDam

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on February 07, 2012, 06:39:39 PM
Quote from: Implode on February 07, 2012, 03:40:44 PM
(like people only use 10% of their brains).
I think we only use 10% of our hearts.

Myth: That the human heart actually has anything to do with emotions. :neverusethis:

Rina

Quote from: BlobVanDam on February 07, 2012, 09:09:15 PM

Myth: That the human heart actually has anything to do with emotions. :neverusethis:

Oh, you...

reneranucci

So could it actually pump more blood to your arteries? That makes sense, when we aren't moving we use only 10%, when we exercise we use close to 100%.

kirksnosehair

Myth: You will catch a cold from going outside without a coat on in the winter time.

Fact: The ONLY way to catch a cold is to be exposed to someone who is infected with the cold virus.

rumborak

Wellll, but there is truth to it in the sense that running around in the cold will lower your body's defenses for you to contract it much more likely. Last I heard they found that the mucous membranes are much more penetrable in the cold.

rumborak

kirksnosehair

Quote from: rumborak on February 08, 2012, 07:31:35 AM
Wellll, but there is truth to it in the sense that running around in the cold will lower your body's defenses for you to contract it much more likely. Last I heard they found that the mucous membranes are much more penetrable in the cold.

rumborak

That is also a myth

Basically, in the absence of direct exposure to the virus you CAN NOT catch a cold.

rumborak

They're stating those things as facts, but to my knowledge the exact mechanism is not known. Fact is that in every country the common cold spikes up when the temperatures drop. They have ruled out that it's the increased indoors activity I think.

rumborak

Sir GuitarCozmo

Quote from: Rina on February 07, 2012, 04:23:45 PM
People don't seem to know how to use the word "irony" properly, which drives me nuts.

When I take my work pants out of the dryer, I tend to get all irony on them.

yorost

1. Seasons are caused by the Earth's changing distance from the sun as it travels around its elliptical orbit. Nope. It's from the difference between more and less direct sunlight caused by the tilt in the Earth's axis. The actual change in the Earth's distance from the sun doesn't do much at all.
I can buy that being a myth 500 years ago, but people still think that?

Implode

Sadly, people do still think that.

chknptpie

yorost

Quote from: Implode on February 08, 2012, 07:59:17 AM
Sadly, people do still think that.
Wow, I never ran into that, although I guess it just doesn't come up often.  Primary school made the tilt of the Earth and it's relation to our lives pretty clear.

lonestar

Quote from: black_floyd on February 07, 2012, 04:31:28 PM
Duck butter does NOT go into veloute.

I was all WTF at first, then I googled duck butter, and now I'm really all WTF?!?!?!

jasc15

1. Seasons are caused by the Earth's changing distance from the sun as it travels around its elliptical orbit. Nope. It's from the difference between more and less direct sunlight caused by the tilt in the Earth's axis. The actual change in the Earth's distance from the sun doesn't do much at all.
Another way to refute that is to ask that person why the northern and southern hemispheres have opposite seasons.

yorost

Quote from: jasc15 on February 08, 2012, 08:45:39 AM
Another way to refute that is to ask that person why the northern and southern hemispheres have opposite seasons.
They weren't paying attention in school, obviously, what makes you think they know that? :lol

reneranucci

"Einstein said it! Everything is relative"

More stupid than a misconception, I think.

wkiml

lonestar

Quote from: wkiml on February 08, 2012, 10:45:43 AM
Women enjoy protein slurpies

Related- Protein masks are good for the skin.

chknptpie

Quote from: lonestar on February 08, 2012, 11:02:05 AM
Quote from: wkiml on February 08, 2012, 10:45:43 AM
Women enjoy protein slurpies

Related- Protein masks are good for the skin.

Related - Women enjoy a pearl necklace.

rumborak

Sigz

I have one: that a sailboat cannot be moved by a fan on the boat blowing into the sail.

And then the reverse of that:

bosk1

**Fact- The earth is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE BECAUSE IT IS 10 FT. CLOSER TO THE SUN!!!

rumborak

Quote from: Sigz on February 08, 2012, 11:17:45 AM
I have one: that a sailboat cannot be moved by a fan on the boat blowing into the sail.

I'm assuming you haven't watched the related Mythbusters episode? They showed that indeed you can. What happens is that the wind bounces back off the sail, creating a weak but substantial enough back push.

rumborak

Sigz

No, that's what I'm saying - it's a misconception. I had no idea they did an episode on that though, I just know it from my fluid dynamics class.

Ryzee

Here's a common misconception:  I gives a fuck  :hat

Quote from: black_floyd on February 07, 2012, 07:49:56 PM

Yeah but it's fun to pew pew guys with fireballs and the sound they make is fun!  Don't be such a hater  :laugh:

Gadough

Quote from: Rina on February 07, 2012, 04:23:45 PM
People don't seem to know how to use the word "irony" properly, which drives me nuts.

Hey yo, I'm MC Don't Know What Irony Is
Walked up to a girl and asked for a kiss
She said come back to my place, I'll suck yo dick
I said hell yeah bitch, that's so ironic

kirksnosehair

Quote from: rumborak on February 08, 2012, 07:42:48 AM
They're stating those things as facts, but to my knowledge the exact mechanism is not known. Fact is that in every country the common cold spikes up when the temperatures drop. They have ruled out that it's the increased indoors activity I think.

rumborak
They're stating those things as facts because they're facts  :lol

Here's another
of, well, millions of available sources that state unequivocally that the common cold is caused by exposure to a virus.  The virus happens to thrive in colder weather, which is why it's more common for people to become infected by it during winter months.