News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Clothes v. How important are they to you?

Started by Tick, February 22, 2012, 06:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick

How important are the brands of clothes you wear? Do you spend a lot on one pair of jeans or whatever?
I love nice clothes but just don't want to spend too much any one item. I went shopping for new work clothes last night and bought a lot of clearance stuff. I would rather spend 20 bucks on jeans than 40 or more. I'd rather spend 10 bucks on a clearance sweater, then 40 on one that's not on sale. I won't buy something I don't like, but I won't over pay for clothes. There are too many other things I would rather spend money on.
I generally shop at Kohls or JC Pennys. They have decent stuff for a decent price.
If I was rich I would have a killer wardrobe, but until then....

Just bought a Honda Odyssey for my wife. So that cost me a sweater or two.

lordxizor

I want to look nice, but don't spend a lot on clothes. I buy most of my stuff at Kohl's, Old Navy, or JC Penney's. It's decent quality for a low price, which works for me. Plus I need Tall sizes in almost everything, which limits my selection a lot. I try and stick to classic clothes that will wear out before they go out of style.

MasterShakezula

I go for classic stuff, like t-shorts, flannels, jeans, ect.  It can help a guy who knows squat about modern trends still look quite normal.  I go for mostly brands the gents above mentioned. 

I do kind of want one of those pilot hats that seem to be picking up momentum at school.  That is, if they're as comfortable as they look.  Comfort is king.

Nekov

I don't like spending lots of money on clothes but experience has shown me that normally cheap clothes tend to last less or get discolored easily.

ReaperKK

My most of my clothes are cheap and I don't really care what I wear day to day, I work from home.

I do like to get dressed up and I will spend some good money on clothes but I do prefer finding a great deal. I like to look sharp when I go out in the evening so the clothes I do spend money on I'll take care of.

chknptpie

Quote from: Nekov on February 22, 2012, 06:17:20 AM
I don't like spending lots of money on clothes but experience has shown me that normally cheap clothes tend to last less or get discolored easily.

I find this absolutely true, same goes for shoes. I can spend $30 on shoes at Target, they last for 6 months. I can spend $70 at a shoe store and they last for 2 years. By spending more up front, I'm saving money in the long run - however I keep the upfront cost at a relatively decent rate. I don't go blowing hundreds on a pair of shoe.

Dr. DTVT

Anything more formal than a t-shirt and jeans is too formal for my taste.

jasc15

I buy clothes as infrequently as possible, though I will buy quality if I can.  I recently bought a pair of pants for $80, but I know I'll have them for probably 10 years.  I have 2 other pair of pants that retailed for $100 that I got for $40 which I've worn at least once a week for the  last 4 years with no sign of wear.  Clothes dryers beat the hell out of clothes, so I dont wash those pants too often (I sit at my desk at work 8 hours a day, so they dont get dirty) and dry clean them every so often.

As for casual clothes, I bought a bunch of long sleeve waffle shirts at the gap last year for $6 each, and I wear them every day between the months of October and March with a pair of jeans.  I wash these probably every few weeks.  Between April and September, I wear jeans with any one of my many random t shirts which are all many years old.  Jeans are rarely washed unless i spill something on them.  The only regular laundry I do is undershirts, boxers and socks.  Undershirts generally last only 6 months or so before they get yellow, then they become cleaning rags.

Zantera

I dress pretty casual. T-Shirt and Jeans is pretty much what I have every day. If it's something more fancy, like a party or Christmas (or any other holiday) I use a good looking shirt instead of a T-shirt.
I don't really buy too expensive clothes, I tend to buy something that appeals to me, because buying expensive clothes for the sake of it doesn't really give me any happiness, and that's money I can spend on other things.
As for my T-Shirts, half of them are music-related with a band, the rest is pretty much a mix of different things.

kirksnosehair

I have found that, generally, you get what you pay for.  So, I usually buy good clothing.  Not high-end or anything, but good quality name-brand stuff.  For example, this past weekend I went shopping at some "outlet" stores and got a bunch of new workout clothes for the gym.  Sweatpants, shirts, mostly Adidas stuff.  It cost a little more than some other stuff, but it tends to last longer.  Most of the shirts I got were $30 and the sweatpants were like $50

When I buy casual clothes, I just buy what fits, but for jeans I tend to go with Levi's mostly.

With suits I keep one good one on hand (Armani - $2500) and a couple of cheaper ones on hand (Men's Wearhouse off the rack stuff - $300)

YtseBitsySpider

To me, life isn't a fashion show.
I just don't care.
My charismatic way, and devestating looks give me the ability to dress borderline like a homeless person and still look hot.

COSTCO clothes for me.
I rarely buy new ones.
And my mom still buys me my underwear for Christmas.

lonestar

I buy most of my stuff at Target, nuff said.  It is very true about the duration of cheap clothes though.  For shoes, I spend a bit more since I walk everywhere, and will spend good money for my work clogs.  I buy Birkie's, which run $120, are good to my legs and back, and last me more than a year usually.

Funny t-shirts are a different story, and I have quite a collection of them and will go out of my way to acquire more.

Sigz

Last weekend I lost two pairs of pants - one tore a massive hole in the ass, the other's zipper and button broke. I cut material from the second one to patch the hole in the first one, then went to the thrift store and bought two more pairs of pants for 12 bucks total.

So no, I really don't care about clothes.

skydivingninja

Quote from: lordxizor on February 22, 2012, 06:07:20 AM
I want to look nice, but don't spend a lot on clothes. I buy most of my stuff at Kohl's, Old Navy, or JC Penney's. It's decent quality for a low price, which works for me. Plus I need Tall sizes in almost everything, which limits my selection a lot. I try and stick to classic clothes that will wear out before they go out of style.

That though its mostly from Penny's when I do have to shop.  Especially since they have a decent tall section  :lol

Either that or I wear XL concert shirts.  :D

wolfandwolfandwolf

I like to look nice.  I'm a skinny jean wearing toolbox.  But I am not ashamed.

Also, I really like retro sports apparel.  One of my favorite pieces of clothing is a Los Angeles Rams t shirt.

ReaperKK

Quote from: wolfandwolfandwolf on February 22, 2012, 09:07:14 AM
I like to look nice.  I'm a skinny jean wearing toolbox.  But I am not ashamed.

Also, I really like retro sports apparel.  One of my favorite pieces of clothing is a Los Angeles Rams t shirt.

https://originalretrobrand.com/

I got a ton of great gator gear there.

Tick

Quote from: DTVT on February 22, 2012, 07:19:37 AM
Anything more formal than a t-shirt and jeans is too formal for my taste.
Yeah, but were not talking about formal. Were talking about paying top dollar for whatever attire you adorn yourself in. You can pay alot for a pair of jeans or a t shirt if you want to, that's for sure.

Ruba

Importance order:

1.Feels good.
2.Looks good.

These both two must be in my clothes.

alirocker08

The most I've ever spent on clothes is £25 for my cheap corset, other than that though, no, I can't find any clothes that I look good in :/ Woe is me.

black_biff_stadler

^Look at you sig and get back in touch with reality :)

antigoon

It's important to me to look reasonably nice. Brands aren't nearly as important as clothes that fit well.

Phoenix87x

Clothes really don't mean that much to me and I definitely don't really care about brands. I just wear whats comfortable.

jingle.boy

Quote from: YtseBitsySpider on February 22, 2012, 08:31:30 AM
COSTCO clothes for me.

Costco has some very good quality shit.  Except for formal shirts/pants/suits, this and Winners (Canadian equivalent to Marshall's) is where I get my duds. 

An old buddy of mine used to be the head menswear buyer for Sears Canada.  He told me that for dress shirts, if you're spending anything more than $60, you're paying for the name.  He'd go to Hong Kong a few times a year - which is where pretty much all dress shirts are made - and said even the BEST quality cotton can't run the shirt more than $50 or $60.  After that, all you're doing is padding the designer's or the outlet's pockets.

I pretty much figure that's got to be the case for all clothes.  A $25 pair of Calvin Klein jeans at Costco ain't any worse than a $100 pair of jeans at Gap.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Tick

Last night I bought a bunch of clothes that were on sale at Kohls, for my new job. When the girl finishes up she says..."Thank you for shopping at Kohls, you saved 275.00 dollars today." I looked at her and calmly responded, Yeah, sure...thanks.
:tick2:

lordxizor

Quote from: Tick on February 22, 2012, 12:06:17 PM
Last night I bought a bunch of clothes that were on sale at Kohls, for my new job. When the girl finishes up she says..."Thank you for shopping at Kohls, you saved 275.00 dollars today." I looked at her and calmly responded, Yeah, sure...thanks.
I hate that! You don't save money if you're spending it. Especially at Kohls where you should never pay full price for anything since everything's always on sale.

Dark Castle

Clothing wise people call me a hipster.  I have a toggle coat, lots of argyle, flannel, skinny jeans, scarves and hats....
But on average I just wear a band tee and jeans, and if it's cold out, said argyle, flannel, or these sweaterish things from the 90's that my aunt's fiance gave me because he's a cool guy.
EDIT: Oh and I have 7 pairs of shoes alone in my dorm room.  I've got these awesome pointy dress shoes that I wear when I feel like flaunting their pointyness, 2 pairs of converse, some flip flops, slip ons, and some tennis shoes.  Yeah I like shoes, I want to get some more too :B

jcmistat

I don't care for clothes much I spend cheaply and basically wear white T shirt's and Jeans/Shorts every wear with one main jacket/hoodie.

ReaperKK

Quote from: Dark Castle on February 22, 2012, 01:15:53 PM
EDIT: Oh and I have 7 pairs of shoes alone in my dorm room.  I've got these awesome pointy dress shoes that I wear when I feel like flaunting their pointyness, 2 pairs of converse, some flip flops, slip ons, and some tennis shoes.  Yeah I like shoes, I want to get some more too :B

Don't get me started on shoes, I have almost 15 pairs of shoes, and yes I do where them all.

dethklok09

Eh, not too important, I usually wear skinny or regular jeans (can't do baggy) and just regular t shirts. Occasional flannel, or my varsity jacket can be found on me at times too. But yeah as far as stores either jc penny's, local tshirt shops, or hot topic (there goes all my credibility in anything :P)

theseoafs

Clothes don't matter at all to me. I usually always wear t-shirts and jeans.

chknptpie

Quote from: lordxizor on February 22, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
Quote from: Tick on February 22, 2012, 12:06:17 PM
I hate that! You don't save money if you're spending it. Especially at Kohls where you should never pay full price for anything since everything's always on sale.

The last time I went to Kohl's everything seemed really overpriced. When did Kohl's become expensive?

I don't really buy clothes outside of concerts. My wardrobe for any normal day consists of:

1. Hanes underware
2. Hanes socks
3. One of about 40 different band/concert shirts
4. Jeans (Have about 4 blue, one black, each cost about 10 bucks, I also have some ripped one - ripped naturally, don't worry - but I don't ware them)
5. Some sort of sweatshirt. (I have one grey one, one blue one, one brown one which is actually a designer one that has a funny story attached to  it and one of two drug rugs)

That is what I wear every day. If it isn't cold, take off the sweatshirt.

HarlequinForest

The last place I went clothes shopping was Walmart, so yeah.  And before that, I hadn't gone clothes shopping for like 4-5 years.

yeshaberto

I get my best stuff at the thrift store, so yeah