Cashier rant...

Started by 73109, March 06, 2012, 08:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir GuitarCozmo

I weep for today's youth.

Tick

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on March 09, 2012, 06:30:15 AM
Quote from: Tick on March 09, 2012, 05:09:48 AM
It doesn't make someone dumb because they struggle with math. Everyone has different aptitudes and different talents. No need to be appalled. There are more important things to be bothered by.
That's true, but those different aptitudes and talents mean that some people are better suited for some jobs than others.  People that struggle with math are not well suited to be cashiers, so they piss me off, and rightfully so.  They should be doing something else.
True, but its a tough job market, and sometimes people do what ever they can.

slycordinator

Quote from: KevShmev on March 09, 2012, 11:43:41 AM
Quote from: Phantasmatron on March 09, 2012, 11:37:48 AM

You guys are right.  But I get tired of being urgently called over to a register to have the cashier explain that the customer gave him a five-dollar bill for a $4.20 order but he hit the ten-dollar-bill button instead of the five-dollar-bill button and ask how much change he owes.

Are you kidding me?  Good Lord. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
He speaks God's honest truth. I worked as a cashier at a movie theater for many years and as a supervisor of them for a few more. A big portion of the kids couldn't figure stuff like that out.

El Barto

Quote from: Tick on March 09, 2012, 11:47:37 AM
It doesn't make someone dumb because they struggle with math. Everyone has different aptitudes and different talents. No need to be appalled. There are more important things to be bothered by.
That's true, but those different aptitudes and talents mean that some people are better suited for some jobs than others.  People that struggle with math are not well suited to be cashiers, so they piss me off, and rightfully so.  They should be doing something else.
I don't think anybody's faulting the kids for taking these jobs.  We're faulting the management for hiring people who can't adequately do these jobs. 

SystematicThought

Quote from: Phantasmatron on March 09, 2012, 11:37:48 AM
You guys are right.  But I get tired of being urgently called over to a register to have the cashier explain that the customer gave him a five-dollar bill for a $4.20 order but he hit the ten-dollar-bill button instead of the five-dollar-bill button and ask how much change he owes.
I've been working the cash registers since I was 6 and even six year old Ted never made that dumb of a change errors. And I, like many, started out on the registers that didn't tell you which bills and coins to hand back  :lol

Hey, the register I have doesn't say anything but the change needed to give back. If you have a hard time adding .01s, .05s, .10s, .25s, 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, and 50's, there's a problem.

I take that back. I was a little vague. If the total is 5.56 and a customer hands me 10 bucks, my screen will say 4.44, but it doesn't tell me what to give. I didn't even know registers did that.

yorost

Quote from: 73109 on March 09, 2012, 01:26:18 PM
Hey, the register I have doesn't say anything but the change needed to give back. If you have a hard time adding .01s, .05s, .10s, .25s, 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, and 50's, there's a problem.
That's great, but the discussion was about when the wrong amount was entered into the register.

snapple

Cashier: 'snapple, would you like to donate your change to x foundation?'
snapple: 'not today'
Cashier: 'well, its a good cause and does x, y and z!'
snapple: 'don't care'

MetalJunkie

Quote from: Phantasmatron on March 08, 2012, 11:37:53 PM
Quote from: wolfandwolfandwolf on March 08, 2012, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: slycordinator on March 08, 2012, 10:57:27 AM
Quote from: El Barto on March 08, 2012, 07:41:53 AM
However, with no professional experience whatsoever, I'm still a much better cashier than half of the nimrods they have manning registers.
Especially all the dipshits who can't do something as simple as count back change, figure it out without looking at what the screen tells you it should be, or figure out that I know what I'm doing when I give them, say, $12 on a $7 item instead of just a $10 bill.
As one who operates a cash register, and who has for the past five years, rarely does incorrectly counting back change have anything to do with a mental inability.  It always has to do with other tasks on one's mind or the line backed up behind the person they just rang up.

So take it easy, friends.  ;)

While that can be true in many cases, I maintain that when it comes to places like a grocery store (or a fast food chain), usually it's a mental inability.  I've seen a lot of people who just plain can't do it.  They need the computer to tell them the number, and if they accidentally punch in a different amount than what the customer gave them, they're lost.

The smart ones, however, often make mistakes for the reasons you've just outlined.  But it appalls me how bad people can be at mental math.
Didn't you flip shit a while back about getting the wrong change?

SystematicThought

Quote from: 73109 on March 09, 2012, 01:28:46 PM
I take that back. I was a little vague. If the total is 5.56 and a customer hands me 10 bucks, my screen will say 4.44, but it doesn't tell me what to give. I didn't even know registers did that.
Some of the NCR ones do, which yours might be NCR. It's pretty useless to have as it is common sense for the most part

snapple

telemarkter calls:

"Hi Mr. Yaple! (but they say Yeah-ple. It's Yaple like maple not Yapple like snapple >:() could we interest you in a creditcard/donating/something that I don't want to do?"
"Hold up, I'm about done rubbing off this load"

I've had a few people wait while I breathe heavy and then just hang up.

King Postwhore

I blame the math problems with the kids nowadays because of bowling,

They have computers now and you don't have to add in your head anymore. :lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

snapple

Quote from: kingshmegland on March 09, 2012, 02:16:55 PM

Mark it a zero!

slycordinator

We're talking about registers like yours.

It works like this:
1) Item costs $5.56
2) Guy gives the dipshit $10
3) Dipshit enters $100 into the screen and sees $94.44 on the screen
4) Dipshit asks me how to figure out the correct change
5) I die a little inside

Tick

Quote from: MetalJunkie on March 09, 2012, 01:39:26 PM
Quote from: Phantasmatron on March 08, 2012, 11:37:53 PM
Quote from: wolfandwolfandwolf on March 08, 2012, 01:52:18 PM
Quote from: slycordinator on March 08, 2012, 10:57:27 AM
Quote from: El Barto on March 08, 2012, 07:41:53 AM
However, with no professional experience whatsoever, I'm still a much better cashier than half of the nimrods they have manning registers.
Especially all the dipshits who can't do something as simple as count back change, figure it out without looking at what the screen tells you it should be, or figure out that I know what I'm doing when I give them, say, $12 on a $7 item instead of just a $10 bill.
As one who operates a cash register, and who has for the past five years, rarely does incorrectly counting back change have anything to do with a mental inability.  It always has to do with other tasks on one's mind or the line backed up behind the person they just rang up.

So take it easy, friends.  ;)

While that can be true in many cases, I maintain that when it comes to places like a grocery store (or a fast food chain), usually it's a mental inability.  I've seen a lot of people who just plain can't do it.  They need the computer to tell them the number, and if they accidentally punch in a different amount than what the customer gave them, they're lost.

The smart ones, however, often make mistakes for the reasons you've just outlined.  But it appalls me how bad people can be at mental math.
Didn't you flip shit a while back about getting the wrong change?
That's not why I ripped him. He purposely gave me the wrong change, 3 times in a row. It was calculated, and he was a thief.

Tick

Quote from: El Barto on March 09, 2012, 12:39:37 PM
Quote from: Tick on March 09, 2012, 11:47:37 AM
I don't think anybody's faulting the kids for taking these jobs.  We're faulting the management for hiring people who can't adequately do these jobs.
I don't really think an employer is aware of what kids are going to struggle while being cashiers when they hire them. You interview a kid. If he seems bright, you hire him or her. I don't think employers who have a vigeorus training program to see who is able to be a cashier. You make a judgement based on the individual, and you hope it works out.

Sir GuitarCozmo

Quote from: MetalJunkie on March 09, 2012, 01:39:26 PMDidn't you flip shit a while back about getting the wrong change?

Elsydeon

Quote from: slycordinator on March 09, 2012, 03:01:33 PM
We're talking about registers like yours.

It works like this:
1) Item costs $5.56
2) Guy gives the dipshit $10
3) Dipshit enters $100 into the screen and sees $94.44 on the screen
4) Dipshit asks me how to figure out the correct change
5) I die a little inside

Not gonna lie, I've been guilty of this too. When I see the incorrect change amount come up on the screen I immediately go into panic mode
"oh shit something went wrong in this really simple system of monetary transaction we got going on here....and I gotta figure out what the right change is....shit....pressure.....he's waiting for the change...... dammit fml" It's easy to see that 4.44 is the correct change but when you're that kid in that position where it's very serious for him and he's panicking and pressured it can be sucky.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I'm excellent at math. I'm in AP Calculus BC, which is the hardest math class an average high schooler can take in America, and every so often, I'll get flustered and have to think about the change I give back if a customer just decides to give me change in the middle of me giving the customer his change. I don't think I've ever fucked up, but who knows.

El Barto

Quote from: Tick on March 09, 2012, 04:07:42 PM
I don't really think an employer is aware of what kids are going to struggle while being cashiers when they hire them. You interview a kid. If he seems bright, you hire him or her. I don't think employers who have a vigeorus training program to see who is able to be a cashier. You make a judgement based on the individual, and you hope it works out.
A good employer is going to be aware of where kids will excel or struggle; that's what makes them good.  A manager who can't get a feel for how somebody will work out is as bad as the lousy employee he hires.  But even if we were to just go with your notion of "if he seems bright, you hire him," I'd be perfectly happy with that.  Down here, people who wouldn't seem bright in a 3rd grade special ed class get hired for such jobs; that's the problem. 

slycordinator

Quote from: Elsydeon on March 09, 2012, 08:12:27 PM
It's easy to see that 4.44 is the correct change but when you're that kid in that position where it's very serious for him and he's panicking and pressured it can be sucky.
I've been that kid. Knowing how to count back change allows you to avoid the problem to begin with or at least correct it quickly/easily when it happens.

I'm not even good at arithmetic (though I do have a mathematics degree), but this is easy once you get in the habit.

Elsydeon

Quote from: slycordinator on March 09, 2012, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: Elsydeon on March 09, 2012, 08:12:27 PM
It's easy to see that 4.44 is the correct change but when you're that kid in that position where it's very serious for him and he's panicking and pressured it can be sucky.
I've been that kid. Knowing how to count back change allows you to avoid the problem to begin with or at least correct it quickly/easily when it happens.

I'm not even good at arithmetic (though I do have a mathematics degree), but this is easy once you get in the habit.
Part of the problem is that cashiers rely on the computers to do their jobs for them all the time without thinking for themselves. Soon those machines will control all of us!

Neon

Like I said, I'm a cashier, and if I do say so myself, I'm friggen awesome at it.  (Well ok, not that that's something to be especially proud of, but whatever :P).     

I'm always friendly, always helpful.  I'm kind of a nazi about the way groceries are bagged (never putting cleaners in with food, be careful about bagging chips or bread with other items, and for the love of god keep the meats separate from everything else).  I'll straight up ask people, "If I put all of this together, will it be too heavy for you?" I don't usually comment on the things people buy, but I try to be on the lookout for things- like if a customer has to buy 3 of something to get the sale price and they only have 2, I'll give them the heads up.  If they want to chat, I'll chat and joke around.  If they look like they're pissy and just want to be left alone, I'll only interact minimally. 

I don't chat with other cashiers or the bagger if I'm ringing someone up.  And I'm not the quickest at math but I'm quick enough to be able to figure out how much change I owe someone in the event that I enter the wrong amount. 

slycordinator

[Tangent]
Speaking of being "not so quick" at math, when I was in an old community college, a calculus professor (who incidentally had written the text we were using) went through a long drawn-out calculation for some formula. By the end, he asked if anyone noticed any small arithmetic errors. He quipped "I can guarantee that I'm better than you at calculus, but not at arithmetic."  :lol

Dr. DTVT

Quote from: Sir GuitarCozmo on March 09, 2012, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: MetalJunkie on March 09, 2012, 01:39:26 PMDidn't you flip shit a while back about getting the wrong change?

:rollin

In Tick's defense, there is a difference between stealing, and lacking functional math skills.

fruit fiesta

I agree ! VEry good point.

JayOctavarium

Now wait a minute man...

Don't bring bowling into this!

:lol

King Postwhore

You get two spares to start off and have a 7 on the first and 2 on the second.  What's your total for the first two boxes....... :lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Orbert

15 in the first frame (10+5) but nothing in the second frame since you're still working a spare.

King Postwhore

Quote from: Orbert on March 10, 2012, 08:58:00 PM
15 in the first frame (10+5) but nothing in the second frame since you're still working a spare.

32 sir.  He got 5 on his first ball
Quote from: kingshmegland on March 10, 2012, 05:53:22 PM
You get two spares to start off and have a 7 on the first and 2 on the second.  What's your total for the first two boxes....... :lol

Still have a third ball to throw.  Old school adding! :metal

Orbert

Quote from: kingshmegland on March 11, 2012, 04:49:34 AM
Quote from: Orbert on March 10, 2012, 08:58:00 PM

32 sir.  He got 5 on his first ball

Dude, you changed what you posted!  How can you change what you wrote and then tell me I'm wrong?

You said there were two spares, with a 7 and 5 showing.  That means first frame, rolled 7 then picked up the spare (no number).  Second frame, rolled 5 then picked up the spare.  First frame gets 10 for the spare plus the first ball of the second frame, the 5.  No score yet for the second frame because you're still working the spare.

King Postwhore

Yeah.  I forgot to say the 3rd ball.  I blanked myself on that.  You we not wrong.  I messed up not saying the 3rd ball on the first box.  But the joke to my point was the adding skills helped when we manually had to do them.

You know our old man rant,  I had to walk 3 miles to school everyday.  I just failed horribly trying to type it. :lol

Orbert

Alzheimer's a bitch, ain't it?

lonestar

Fucking A man, fucking A