Anything related to automobiles

Started by Chino, April 04, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReaperKK

Quote from: El Barto on July 30, 2024, 10:45:26 AMFerrari ownership is about insane. I really had no idea until recently how ridiculous it all is. It's actually kind of cult-like, where instead of just buying their product you agree to let them own you while you get to drive the car. Really makes me question the sorts of people who'd sign up for that.

Yea it's pretty insane. I have a buddy who has owned a few Ferraris and they always needed a service, and when the grossly over priced service was completed it immediately needed to go back to get something fixed. Not to mention Ferrari will come after you for many different reasons.

Their cars are also not as fast as they claim to be. They frequently been caught giving press tuned cars to perform better than the actual street car.

Chris Harris got banned from reviewing ferraris because he wrote about it https://jalopnik.com/how-ferrari-spins-5760248

lordxizor

As I continue to look for a cheap used car, I've been annoyed that major car dealers simply don't offer the type of vehicle I'm looking for. So I'm stuck dealing with private sellers who more often than not seem like scams. Or with small, shady dealers who deal exclusively in crappy old cars.

Chino

Quote from: ReaperKK on July 30, 2024, 11:09:20 AMChris Harris got banned from reviewing ferraris because he wrote about it https://jalopnik.com/how-ferrari-spins-5760248

I've read about people being blacklisted by Ferrari from buying new cars because of who they sold their used Ferraris to.

ReaperKK

Even Jay Leno isn't a fan of ferrari

El Barto

Yeah, I've seen that before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they blacklisted him for it. He's clearly not the sort of owner they want, and Ferrari hates people who talk bad about them.

Stadler

jasc15

Any E39s remotely with considering are all on the west coast.

The interior is a bit rough on this one, it has a cold air intake  and a weird OBD engine tune that should just unplug, I guess.  Also asking way too much at $12k.  Also not my preferred interior color.

This one looks remarkably clean for 226k miles, and was serviced for most of its life at a bmw dealer.  This is configured exactly how I'd prefer, minus the heated seats.  But no info whether the cooling system or common oil leak spots have been addressed (assume not)

And this near San Diego actually mentions oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, cooling system, and others, but another very high mileage example.  I'm told that mileage matters less than condition and service history, but thats still a high number to face.

ReaperKK

Quote from: jasc15 on August 08, 2024, 07:01:54 PMAny E39s remotely with considering are all on the west coast.

The interior is a bit rough on this one, it has a cold air intake  and a weird OBD engine tune that should just unplug, I guess.  Also asking way too much at $12k.  Also not my preferred interior color.

This one looks remarkably clean for 226k miles, and was serviced for most of its life at a bmw dealer.  This is configured exactly how I'd prefer, minus the heated seats.  But no info whether the cooling system or common oil leak spots have been addressed (assume not)

And this near San Diego actually mentions oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, cooling system, and others, but another very high mileage example.  I'm told that mileage matters less than condition and service history, but thats still a high number to face.

Personally if the dude had all the paperwork I might go for the first listing and try to work him down on price a bit. Those high miles are rough, maintenance goes a long way but with that many miles you gotta really give it a good test drive because you'll be looking at refreshing suspension/brakes/possibly engine mounts.

I've started looking e39's myself over the past few days. I'd love to have one as a daily, hrmmm...

jasc15

Yeah, the maintenance items on the first one can make me overlook the CAI (returning to oem intake is $350-$400 in parts) and engine tune, but the high miles and torn seat bolster make it a tough one to swallow.

Quote from: ReaperKK on August 08, 2024, 07:17:49 PMI've started looking e39's myself over the past few days. I'd love to have one as a daily, hrmmm...
Noooo. They are few enough and I dont need more competition :biggrin:

ReaperKK

Yea, though to be fair the torn bolster thing is so common on late 90's/early 00's BMW's, especially if they lived in a hot climate outside. My e46 bolster tore right after I rolled 100k miles on it. It lived outside in the florida sun though, and I never really conditioned or treated those seats.

El Barto

Quote from: ReaperKK on August 08, 2024, 07:27:10 PMYea, though to be fair the torn bolster thing is so common on late 90's/early 00's BMW's, especially if they lived in a hot climate outside. My e46 bolster tore right after I rolled 100k miles on it. It lived outside in the florida sun though, and I never really conditioned or treated those seats.
I was militant about conditioning mine and it still tore. That said, those seats are just wonderful. It's like they hug you when you get in. And if you're throwing the car around they keep you nice and snug.

El Barto

Quote from: jasc15 on August 08, 2024, 07:01:54 PMAny E39s remotely with considering are all on the west coast.

The interior of the first one honestly isn't all that rough for its age, although CL pictures cover a multitude of sins. I wouldn't want to pay 12k for one, but somebody probably will. It was clearly an enthusiast owned car. The CAI and SHARK were pretty common performance upgrades back in the day. Only downside is that it'll require premium gas. 

For the third car I wouldn't be quite so worried about the mileage, simply because at this point age is likely a bigger issue, and they're all roughly the same. At that price it'd certainly be worth hitting them up for the VIN and investigating.

ReaperKK

Quote from: El Barto on August 08, 2024, 09:29:46 PMI was militant about conditioning mine and it still tore. That said, those seats are just wonderful. It's like they hug you when you get in. And if you're throwing the car around they keep you nice and snug.

They were my favorite seats for sitting until I got my current car which is a lexus is350, boy that thing is comfortable.

Stadler

I have a boner.  TMI? 

That first one is a little high; I'm with Reap, you try to get them down a bit. Assuming the drive went well, I'd take a flyer on that last one (though I'm not a fan of white cars.)

El Barto

Quote from: ReaperKK on August 09, 2024, 04:40:30 AMThey were my favorite seats for sitting until I got my current car which is a lexus is350, boy that thing is comfortable.
I was the same way, but in my case it was my stepbrother's Lincoln Towncar. The seats in that were better than any recliner I've ever sat in. That said, there's a big difference between sport seats and comfort seats. 

As cool as the Vader seats looked in the 90s M cars, I've never heard anybody rant and rave about how great they were. Lots of people adored those non M sports seats.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on August 09, 2024, 06:51:12 AMThat first one is a little high; I'm with Reap, you try to get them down a bit. Assuming the drive went well, I'd take a flyer on that last one (though I'm not a fan of white cars.)
Ditto on all parts. I will say that when I was desperate for some wheels I paid 2500 for a white (with that awful dove grey interior) E36 with 190k on it and it was a pretty good ride, despite having a blown head gasket the entire time. It was a minor leak and strictly external, so all I had to do was have the radiator flushed once or twice a year. After 30k or so miles it caught up with me, overheated, and the leak because too great to carry on.

ReaperKK

Quote from: El Barto on August 09, 2024, 07:46:04 AMI was the same way, but in my case it was my stepbrother's Lincoln Towncar. The seats in that were better than any recliner I've ever sat in. That said, there's a big difference between sport seats and comfort seats.

As cool as the Vader seats looked in the 90s M cars, I've never heard anybody rant and rave about how great they were. Lots of people adored those non M sports seats.

I felt the same when I was speccing my new car. I love the new bmw m seats but this is gonna be my daily and they aren't thar confortable, plus I really like vented seats which aren't offered.

jasc15

Speaking of cars that leak coolant, my 2016 Impreza with ~68k miles looks to have one.  :-\

Edit: This might be straightforward, just replacing that hose since it seems to be leaking at that one joint.  The drip marks aren't directly below the joint, though, but a bit forward of it.

El Barto

The missing images seem to be Imgur related.

jasc15

Stadler

It's hard to see context (my problem not yours) but coolant leaks can be a bit tricky, since it's a pressurized system and so the evidence doesn't necessarily follow gravity or the momentum of a forward-moving car.

El Barto

Quote from: Stadler on August 12, 2024, 07:30:22 AMIt's hard to see context (my problem not yours) but coolant leaks can be a bit tricky, since it's a pressurized system and so the evidence doesn't necessarily follow gravity or the momentum of a forward-moving car.
In this case that should be the top hose behind the alternator. He should be able to squeeze that and see if it's actually leaking from there.

If you're going to fix that pipe you should replace what I'm guessing is the temp sensor immediately behind it.

jasc15

Quote from: Stadler on August 12, 2024, 07:30:22 AMIt's hard to see context (my problem not yours) but coolant leaks can be a bit tricky, since it's a pressurized system and so the evidence doesn't necessarily follow gravity or the momentum of a forward-moving car.

Good point.  If this was a pinhole leak under pressure, it could project somewhere other than directly below the joint.  I'll make sure to check under the hood after the next drive.

Quote from: El Barto on August 12, 2024, 07:40:21 AMIf you're going to fix that pipe you should replace what I'm guessing is the temp sensor immediately behind it.

Yeah, item (26) in the image is coolant temp sensor.

Also, item (27) is the EGR control valve and the hose in question (18), is called the "preheater hose".  I didn't know the water pipe assembly (15) acts as an exhaust/coolant heat exchanger for some reason.  The best I could find is that the returned exhaust gas needs to be cooled before entering the intake manifold.

El Barto

Quote from: jasc15 on August 12, 2024, 12:27:10 PMAlso, item (27) is the EGR control valve and the hose in question (18), is called the "preheater hose".  I didn't know the water pipe assembly (15) acts as an exhaust/coolant heat exchanger for some reason.  The best I could find is that the returned exhaust gas needs to be cooled before entering the intake manifold.
You don't want exhaust gas or hot air going into the intake. Also, I think gas needs to be hot for the cats to work.

My guess would be that they're using exhaust gas to preheat either the oil, the coolant, or the Dex/Merc until it reaches operating temperature, and then a thermostat closes it off. Though adding complexity, it could be a pretty cool thing in the Winter, if that's what they're doing. Having hot air from the heater in two minutes instead of 8 would be a damn fine thing in my book.

jasc15

Three more E39s that worth looking at:

Detroit. 119k miles, $8,800
(i.e. rust belt) with some rust photos shown.  Appears to be a true enthusiast owner, with service records and receipts.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/509393121662756

Chicago.  65k miles, $22,000
Also rust belt its whole life, but appears immaculate with only 65k miles.  Dealer (not private party) is smoking crack asking $22k.  I already talked to a sales guy there today, but he didn't seem to know much.  I asked for some underbody pics and any service records from the prior owner (I'm not expecting any).
https://www.autoboutiquechicago.com/inventory/bmw/5-series/ab2054/

Charlotte, 223k miles, $4,000
No service records, and ABS module is "shot".  Not from the rust belt.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/980000743709679/

El Barto

Only looked at the first one. Since I'm a Texas boy I have no idea what that rust actually means. Presumably it gets worse, but how much and how fast I have no idea. Outside of that it looks like a good deal. Judging from the parts he's purchased I'd guess that he's got good skills and experience. Such a person doesn't let things go on for long at all before dealing with it.

The other thing I noticed is that it does appear to be dropped. Certainly not as much as mine was, but having mine lowered gave me a real appreciation for how much of a pain in the ass it can be to drive, and how much it can tear up the underside. That front spoiler is nearly immaculate, though, so it's probably not that much of an issue.

ReaperKK

That charlotte one is a good price, I live in charlotte so if you want me to take a peak at it I can.

What's the budget because if you are willing to put some money down bring a trailer has had some good auctions:

'01 manual 540i from Florida: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-540i-91/

540i sold with accident history for $15k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-165/

Another 540 sold for $15k: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-168/

El Barto

Wasn't the M62 a disaster? I thought that was the motor that made everybody swear off (non-M) BMW 8-bangers.

ReaperKK

Was it? I honestly can't remember. A quick google says yes, it was terrible so may scratch that :lol

Well there are plenty of 530's that pop there as well.

Phoenix87x

Does anyone has a Subaru Crosstrek or know anyone that has one, and if so you are they like it?

jasc15

Quote from: El Barto on August 14, 2024, 08:09:05 PMOnly looked at the first one. Since I'm a Texas boy I have no idea what that rust actually means. Presumably it gets worse, but how much and how fast I have no idea. Outside of that it looks like a good deal. Judging from the parts he's purchased I'd guess that he's got good skills and experience. Such a person doesn't let things go on for long at all before dealing with it.

The other thing I noticed is that it does appear to be dropped. Certainly not as much as mine was, but having mine lowered gave me a real appreciation for how much of a pain in the ass it can be to drive, and how much it can tear up the underside. That front spoiler is nearly immaculate, though, so it's probably not that much of an issue.
Yes, besides the rust it seems like the best candidate so far.  However, I'm admonished on bimmerforums to steer clear of any rust, since visible rust is the tip of the iceberg.

As for the lowered suspension, I think it's lowered to the same point that a factory sport trim would be.  Hard to tell without digging into the part numbers/kits the seller so graciously provided info for.

Regarding the 540i with M62, I know the timing chain guides are a unique pain point on those engines.  There are other things that make the M54 (I6) simpler and more reliable, but opinions vary.  The  M54 has rack and pinion steering vs the M62 having recirculating ball steering, which many feel detracts from the feel of the car.

Having not so much as touched one of these cars, I'm just regurgitating others' opinions here.  It's all I have to form any kind of starting basis.

That said, I'm sticking with the 530i 5-speed only, preferably sport package which has the lowered suspension, 3- vs 4-spoke steering wheel, and some exterior trim differences.  Budget is less important than getting a good value.

faizoff

Quote from: Phoenix87x on August 15, 2024, 12:16:02 PMDoes anyone has a Subaru Crosstrek or know anyone that has one, and if so you are they like it?
I test drove the base Crosstrek 2024 model a month ago and it was a good ride. I ultimately went for a used Forester. I also have an Outback so compared to that the Crosstrek drives similar to the Forester in terms of pickup and acceleration. 

The Crosstrek is essentially a smaller Outback but rides a lot smoother because of the smaller size and weight. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

jasc15

Quote from: Phoenix87x on August 15, 2024, 12:16:02 PMDoes anyone has a Subaru Crosstrek or know anyone that has one, and if so you are they like it?
What year?  I have a 2016 Impreza, which is the same car without the modified suspension.  It's given me no trouble in 69k miles, though I may have a small coolant leak as I posted above.  My only complaint is that its not a good highway cruiser since its pretty noisy, even after replacing the OEM tires with Michelin pilot sports.  I've also had a bit of a vibration  at about 60 mph since new, which has not gone away with new brakes and tires.

Phoenix87x

I was thinking around 2016-2018 roughly. I like to buy used

Overall I heard good things about Subaru as a brand

SeRoX

Tomorrow I'll sell my diesel car to buy EV. Some says it's to early to buy it but I mostly use it in the city I live and rarely for the long distance.