News:

Dreamtheaterforums.org is a place of peace.  ...except when it is a place of BEING ON FIRE!!!

Main Menu

Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?

Started by KevShmev, April 17, 2012, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyhunter1

Flight is so fucking beautiful, oh my god

ColdFireYYZ

On my second listen. Really enjoying this!

adace

Fantastic album.

dat ending to "Moon" :hefdaddy

WebRaider

I should be ashamed. As much as I love Devy and as much as I believe in the guy I doubted him. I doubted he could really get my interest in this album. I'm really, really not much of a country/western fan so just the faint idea of that put me off. I kind of understood what he was going for but just didn't think he could really manage to pull me in with it.

I was wrong... Devin is just the f'n man (as if there was ever any doubt)...

Honestly at first I was kind of hesitant but probably 2-3 mins in it started to really hit me and then pretty much the rest of the way through I was all smiles. Some really great stuff again! Dude can do just about anything musically I believe.  :hefdaddy

Buddyhunter1

I'm definitely not a country/western fan either, but this record has so much atmosphere that it hardly matters.

That said, the more country-focused songs like Daddy, The Code, and Deathscope are definitely some of my least favorites on the album.

TioJorge

This really does not sound like country to me at all. It certainly has inspiration that can be heard in a lot of the guitars' sounds; but the structures, vocals, and especially the lyrics are worlds away from what I know as country. I still and will probably forever hate and abhor country...but I love this; therefore, this cannot possibly be country.  :lol :P

Really though, I do hear country in this, but it's so miniscule and defies so many of the country stereotypes that I don't see it as that at all, despite even Devy labeling it as such. I really love it though, whatever it is. Trainfire is one of my favorite songs, and this album encapsulates and expands upon that quiet section towards the end of the song. I just cannot not think more about the cajun type of country when I hear this (which I don't see as...'country' if that makes any sense). Like I said before, this ozzes that True Detective type vibe from some songs on the album...that dreary, swampy, gloomy, eerie backwoods. Not a twangy, cowboy-hat-'n-boots type shtick.

Either way, according to Devy, my first loved country album/song is from him...who would'a thunk it!?

KevShmev

Damn, I kept meaning to pledge, but kept forgetting and/or putting it off, and now it's too late.  I guess I have to wait for the official release date.  Oh well. :facepalm:

TioJorge

Nah, you can still pledge and immediately get the download! The 'official' release date passed, the rest of the people are waiting on the commercial/physical release.

Scorpion

Still don't have the download link.  :sadpanda:

TioJorge

...? It (should be) right on the front page after you've pledged the minimum, at the bottom of the first post is a list of the tracks and below it a few different links to either the normal download or FLAC.

Scorpion

Yeah, got that. The thing was I had my dad pledge for me, and when I had found out that, he was already in bed. :sadpanda:

TOMORROW YOU WILL BE MINE

PolarizeMe

On my second listen now, I think this is one of my top 5 favorite albums of the year. It's a great album to listen to at night IMO. Flight, Moon, Ether and Bones are a few of my favorites from the album.

Ben_Jamin

I love the concept and it puts you in the view of floating being drawn by hee voice.

ariich

It's a really nice album. Favourite songs so far probably Moon and Bones, but other songs like Flight, The Code and The Field have some great stuff too.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

TioJorge

Daddy remains my favorite after about my fifth listen through. I love the 'two by two' lines. Che has such a beautifully smooth voice, I love it.

Ultimetalhead

Only listened to the first 5 or 6 songs so far, but it's quite nice indeed. Very chill, even more than Ghost.

KevShmev

Quote from: TioJorge on May 14, 2014, 12:07:14 PM
Nah, you can still pledge and immediately get the download! 

I don't think you can.  It says on the site that the pledge time is over, and Devin had posted on FB the other day that there was only 45 minutes left before you could pledge and get it early.

TioJorge

Ahhh damn, I must've been right on the cusp, I pledged after it was over but it was right when it released. It was pretty early in the day and I did it right when I saw that it was out cause I totally forgot originally... My bad, that's a bummer.

Nel_Annette

I, uh, bought Epicloud on a whim. Mostly because it was the deluxe version, with Epiclouder, and the record store never carried that before.

My question now, getting into this, and as a person who prefers to have the bonus stuff: Is Contain Us worth it? I was just thinking of getting that to get the four previous Project albums.

KevShmev

Absolutely.  The second bonus disc is chock full of awesome songs from the project that didn't make it on to any of the four main DTP CDs:

Juno
Ho Krll
Radial Highway
Watch You
Traestorz

Those five songs are all outstanding.

Nel_Annette

seasonsinthesky

Casualties disc 2 is streaming free on Deezer right now. honestly i like it just as much as disc 1!

KevShmev

adace

Quote from: seasonsinthesky on May 15, 2014, 01:27:17 PM
Casualties disc 2 is streaming free on Deezer right now. honestly i like it just as much as disc 1!
Did you find it on any other sites? Deezer isn't available in the US.

PolarizeMe

Did some of the stuff from Ghost 2 make it onto Casualties Disc 2? It'd be a shame if those songs were never released.

Scorpion

Downloading now!

Quote from: Scorpion on May 12, 2014, 12:28:57 PM
ohboyohboyohboyohboy

EDIT: Listening! Sounding great so far... Daddy's pretty country-ish.

KevShmev

Quote from: PolarizeMe on May 15, 2014, 02:40:35 PM
Did some of the stuff from Ghost 2 make it onto Casualties Disc 2? It'd be a shame if those songs were never released.

If what I am reading is correct, Drench and Mend both made it, and Watch You was on the Contain Us bonus disc, so that leaves Fall still needing a proper release.  Happily, I still have them all on mp3. :biggrin:

I'll be curious how, if any, different Drench sounds.  I absolutely love that unreleased original.  :hefdaddy

Buddyhunter1

Quote from: KevShmev on May 15, 2014, 03:56:33 PM

If what I am reading is correct, Drench and Mend both made it, and Watch You was on the Contain Us bonus disc, so that leaves Fall still needing a proper release.  Happily, I still have them all on mp3. :biggrin:

I'll be curious how, if any, different Drench sounds.  I absolutely love that unreleased original.  :hefdaddy

Yeah, but that still leaves like, half of the original intended tracklist for Ghost 2, which I can't seem to find anymore...

Scorpion

Well, there's Fall, Watch You and Radial Highway, which have all been on By a Thread, with two of them also being on Contain Us, as well as Saloon, which is on the 2011 Unplugged CD... don't know how many that leaves, though.

In other news, this album is great. Favourites are Flight, Moon, Forgive Me, Bones, The Field and The Bridge, but really, this album is a goddamn experience start to end. Che is amazing here, far better than on Ki, and I already liked her there quite a bit.

GODDAMMIT BONES IS SO BEAUTIFUL

PolarizeMe

Quote from: Scorpion on May 15, 2014, 06:58:01 PM
GODDAMMIT BONES IS SO BEAUTIFUL
Damn right it is! I was playing Bones through the stereo theater speakers in the entertainment room today and it gave me the chills! :hefdaddy

seasonsinthesky

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 15, 2014, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: KevShmev on May 15, 2014, 03:56:33 PM

Yeah, but that still leaves like, half of the original intended tracklist for Ghost 2, which I can't seem to find anymore...

Drench and Mend are exactly the same mixes, they just crossfade with the other tracks. the bonus disc also has Perspective and Moonshine, so the only Ghost 2 songs 'unaccounted for' are Fall (except it was a preorder bonus and was on the Mackie soundcloud) and Saloon (released on a USB stick to VIPers at the London By a Thread shows and available live on that release smushed together with Heart Baby, plus other performances on Unplugged and Contain Us).

the intended Ghost 2 tracklist pre-abandonment was:
Radial Highway
Drench
Mend
Fall
Watch You
Perspective
Moonshine
Saloon

Scorpion

So yeah, on my fourth listen now, and it's AOTY material, right there, and by so far away, it's not even funny. Granted, I haven't heard a lot of stuff from 2014, but I find it hard to see a lot of things topping this, to be honest. Bones is one of the most beautifully hypnotic songs that I have ever heard.

TioJorge

Yeah I doubt anything else is gonna top this. 2014 looks to be and will probably end up a fairly meh year for music for me. All the more reason this album is awesome; you know an album is special when even the 'filler' (which I wouldn't consider them that, but for the sake of labels) songs improve the overall feel to the album and add to the rest of the songs. Pure is an amazingly simple and equally as beautiful song...truly a 'meditation song' if I've ever heard one (and I've heard a lot).

Scorpion

Yeah, Deathscope is probably the song that I enjoy the least, and it's still pretty cool. The rest of the album ranges from awesome to "holy fuckballs how can a human being even make something so akin to the sounds of the gods".

Listening to The Field now... so beautiful. I love love love Che's voice, and she's used to perfection on this album.