News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?

Started by KevShmev, April 17, 2012, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelDream

Devin Townsend is so weird to my musical taste nowadays. I either can't stand it, or I'm in a period when all I want to listen to is his music. Even the goofiest stuff. But it's precisely his goofy side that sometimes is too much for me.

Phoenix87x

Quote from: PixelDream on March 18, 2014, 03:51:22 PM
But it's precisely his goofy side that sometimes is too much for me.

I have to really be in the right mood for the goofy stuff, which is why I'm very grateful for his older material like Ocean Machine, and Accelerated evolution.

Konrad

Suicide and Coast are growing very strong on me.
Beautiful music :)

Ben_Jamin

PolarizeMe

My copy of Contain Us arrived in the mail on Tuesday and it's awesome! For those who don't have it yet, it's definitely worth the $75 for the first 4 DTP albums plus the bonus CDs/DVDs.

Ben_Jamin

It is. Haven't done a remix of bender yet though.

ariich

Quote from: Phoenix87x on March 18, 2014, 06:58:28 PM
Quote from: PixelDream on March 18, 2014, 03:51:22 PM
But it's precisely his goofy side that sometimes is too much for me.

I have to really be in the right mood for the goofy stuff, which is why I'm very grateful for his older material like Ocean Machine, and Accelerated evolution.
Or his newer stuff like Ki and Ghost. I don't think he's any more goofy overall than he ever was.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Mosh

Quote from: PolarizeMe on March 27, 2014, 03:19:32 PM
My copy of Contain Us arrived in the mail on Tuesday and it's awesome! For those who don't have it yet, it's definitely worth the $75 for the first 4 DTP albums plus the bonus CDs/DVDs.
What if you already have these albums, is it worth getting anyway?

ZKX-2099

PolarizeMe

Quote from: Mosh on March 27, 2014, 06:38:46 PM
Quote from: PolarizeMe on March 27, 2014, 03:19:32 PM
What if you already have these albums, is it worth getting anyway?
Deconstruction and Ghost are remastered for the Contain Us release. Apparently the original masters weren't good in Devin's opinion. There's a CD with leftover/bonus/unreleased DTP songs, and another containing DTP demos. The first DVD has extracted performances from Tuska Open Air 2010 and NAMM 2011 and music videos for Coast, Bend It Like Bender, Supercrush, and Julaar.  The second DVD is actually a data disc which you can copy the files onto your computer. That DVD has the audio from the NAMM 2011 performance from the first DVD, a 5 song live EP, a couple of Devin's YouTube videos, song stems of Juular and Bend It Like Bend, and most importantly audio commentary for the first four DTP albums. The liner notes in the book are an interesting read as well as Devin describes the concepts behind the albums and how they all fit into one big theme.

$75 might seem pricey if you already have the albums, but IMO it's worth it for the remastered Deconstruction and Ghost and the bonus CDs/DVDs alone. Think of it this way, if you were to buy all 4 DTP albums separately on Amazon right now, it'll cost $60. So that's $15 more for the bonus CDs/DVDs.

Nick

If they weren't good masters why the hell did Devin release them in the first place? This sounds like a cool set, but it's kinda laughable that two albums so recent have remasters already.

seasonsinthesky

Quote from: ZKX-2099 on March 27, 2014, 06:43:33 PM
Hows the Deconstruction remaster?

neither remaster is immediately different. DT explained on Twitter when the box came out that he simply hadn't given it a listen in the car (the final test for every DT release!) and he realized it needed a touch more in the low end. it's still limited against the ceiling though.

same goes for Ghost, it's basically imperceptible.

Ben_Jamin

Deconstruction is still mastered badly.

Implode

Ultimetalhead

It wasn't that Deconstruction or Ghost were mastered badly in Dev's opinion the first time around. There was just a few things he felt like changing up. The symphony is a bit higher in places (Planet of the Apes intro for sure), and Ghost has a bit more low end. That's it.

ZKX-2099

Damn... really wanna hear that... really don't wanna buy that whole set.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

I think Deconstruction sounds really good, considering how much is going on at once.

Ultimetalhead

Quote from: ZKX-2099 on March 28, 2014, 01:06:57 PM
Damn... really wanna hear that... really don't wanna buy that whole set.
I mean, it's a hell of a box. But don't just get it to hear the remasters, it's barely even noticeable.

PolarizeMe

To be honest, I haven't even listened to either remasters yet. And I honestly, I thought the originals sounded good to begin with. One of the main reasons why I bought Contain Us was that I didn't have the first 4 DTP albums yet (only had Epicloud up till then) and I'd figure $75 was reasonable if you're getting 4 albums worth plus 4 more discs worth of bonus content.

Nihil-Morari

Quote from: PolarizeMe on March 29, 2014, 03:04:37 AM
To be honest, I haven't even listened to either remasters yet. And I honestly, I thought the originals sounded good to begin with. One of the main reasons why I bought Contain Us was that I didn't have the first 4 DTP albums yet (only had Epicloud up till then) and I'd figure $75 was reasonable if you're getting 4 albums worth plus 4 more discs worth of bonus content.

WOW! I payed 137 bucks (well, in euro's) for that! I had the same reasoning as you did though, 25 dollars per album, and then some extra for the box and the bonus stuff.

Ben_Jamin

Same here. I bought Addicted only and never bought Deconstruction or Ghost on their release. Good thing cause I got Contain Us, plus I wanted to hear some live Devin.

ariich

The Contain Us boxset is pretty awesome. When it came out I already had Ki and Addicted but hadn't got round to buying the other two, so sold the ones I had and got the set. It's sooooooo good!

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

PolarizeMe

Quote from: Nihil-Morari on March 29, 2014, 03:17:58 AM
Quote from: PolarizeMe on March 29, 2014, 03:04:37 AM

WOW! I payed 137 bucks (well, in euro's) for that! I had the same reasoning as you did though, 25 dollars per album, and then some extra for the box and the bonus stuff.
:censored you payed twice as much as me! Did you buy it from the European shop? Cause I actually bought mine from a merchant from Amazon who apparently had 19 more copies of it after I bought mine.

WebRaider

Devin Townsend ‏@dvntownsend 14h

Ha! Ok, @mikestjean made this gif from when we got lost in the Uk looking for a gig, ended up at a huge manure pile

Devin looking like Superman standing on a pile of manure in the middle of UK countryside, clearly lost and pointing as if he has a clue.... 

:rollin

Onno

^I also saw that on Twitter, fantastic  :rollin

Implode

Does anyone know the lyrics for the Socialization demo off of the Epiclouder? No lyrics site seems to have it. :[

Onno

I don't, but maybe they're included in the 2CD version of Epicloud?

By the way, that version of Funeral is AWESOME.

Mosh

No Epiclouder lyrics in the booklet, unfortunately.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Quote from: DevinYeeessssss! Z2 is starting to come together! The theme of the double album is Ziltoid versus the DTP, with both getting their own album. Here are the tentative song titles!
Ziltoid:
Z2
Ziltoidian Overture
From Sleep Awake
Deathray
War Princess
March Of The Poozers
Silent Militia
EARTH
Ziltoid Goes Home
Dimension Z
DTP:
Rejoice
Fallout
Warrior Way
Midnight Sun
Loud
-untitled-
-Untitled-
Offer Your Light
Rain City
Farther On

ZKX-2099

KevShmev

As much as I love this man's music, I just can't get excited about another Ziltoid record. 

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Buddyhunter1

Ziltoid is one of my least-favorite of his solo records, but I'm still excited as hell for this. I think his songwriting has improved a lot since.