Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum

Started by Nick, May 31, 2012, 08:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisbDTM

it just seems like jack nicholson being goofy, that's it

Orbert

Of course it was.  But you have to put it in perspective.  Obviously nothing created since 1989 existed yet.  This was a completely different version of the The Joker than anyone had ever seen, in a completely different type of movie than anyone had ever seen.  You're saying it was nothing special.  I'm sorry, but it was.  People were absolutely shitting their pants when that movie came out.

ariich

Quote from: Dimitrius on July 29, 2012, 10:55:24 AM
It does. I can't believe that I continued watching that movie after the first 15 minutes.
What exactly is wrong with it?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Dimitrius

The thing I remember the most was how dull and boring the chick who portrayed Alice was. Especially in those first 15 minutes.

Super Dude

And it took itself WAAAAAY too seriously.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Orbert on July 29, 2012, 01:28:15 PM
Of course it was.  But you have to put it in perspective.  Obviously nothing created since 1989 existed yet.  This was a completely different version of the The Joker than anyone had ever seen, in a completely different type of movie than anyone had ever seen.  You're saying it was nothing special.  I'm sorry, but it was.  People were absolutely shitting their pants when that movie came out.

Everything Orbert said is bang on.  23 years later, with everything that has occurred in the batman universe in 23 years, I can understand the 'meh' persepctive.  23 years ago, it was out of this world.  This isn't meant to be offensive, but anyone under 35 years of age likely isn't going to understand.

And that bat-mobile was BAD-ASS!!!
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Phoenix87x

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 30, 2012, 04:39:56 AM
Quote from: Orbert on July 29, 2012, 01:28:15 PM

Everything Orbert said is bang on.  23 years later, with everything that has occurred in the batman universe in 23 years, I can understand the 'meh' persepctive.  23 years ago, it was out of this world.  This isn't meant to be offensive, but anyone under 35 years of age likely isn't going to understand.

I'm 24 and I fully understand. For most of my life and still till this day Jack Nicholson performance blows me away.  Ledger's performance was cool and stuff, but my heart will always belong to Nicholson's Joker.

and the 89 Bat-mobile is indeed bad-ass.

Super Dude

I always thought Nicholson's Joker was entertaining, I mean the museum scene I always thought was funny, but I never thought of him as menacing in any way.

Zantera

Nicholson's joker is not bad, but I'd say Ledger's is much much better.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Zantera on July 30, 2012, 05:04:29 AM
Nicholson's joker is not bad, but I'd say Ledger's is much much better.

That I will agree with.
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

chrisbDTM

nicholson was not menacing. there's nothing menacing about dancing, which happens numerous times. or that ridiculous scene where he's on the parade float throwing out money. he's just wacky. i liked keaton though

Super Dude

It was simply a different kind of film.

chrisbDTM

oh i know, it's simply not fair to jack to compare him to heath. i understand it was the first darker batman movie and its obviously special to people, im just talking about the performance itself. it literally is jack nicholson being jack nicholson, just more goofy.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 30, 2012, 04:39:56 AM

To me that is THE Batmobile (although the old Thunderbird one kicks ass too).

Last night I watched The Time Machine for the first time in over a decade (the original 1960 movie). I remembered most of it, and still really enjoyed it. I'm just a sucker for time travel. Except for that awful remake.

ZirconBlue

Quote from: chrisbDTM on July 30, 2012, 05:26:32 AM
oh i know, it's simply not fair to jack to compare him to heath. i understand it was the first darker batman movie and its obviously special to people, im just talking about the performance itself. it literally is jack nicholson being jack nicholson, just more goofy.

Isn't that like every other Jack Nicholson performance?

masterthes

So you didn't think that the Joker wanting to poison the entire city menacing? Interesting

chrisbDTM

well obviously he's a villain, so maybe a little. but im not sure why they did some things like the commercial, parade float, trashing the museum if they were going for a darker batman. I just remember before TDK the big conversation is how is somebody like Heath Ledger going to do the joker justice, especially since jack's version was so loved. im just not seeing the big deal with his portrayal. it was nicholson in makeup. again not hating on everything about the movie, i really liked keaton as batman.

Orbert

I think it was something like a transitional Joker.  60's Joker was goofy and silly like that, but he was unpredictable as well.  I think Burton and Nicholson were going for that kinda vibe.  The Joker is clearly batshit insane, goofy as hell but also a homicidal maniac, and that can be scary.  You honestly don't know what the guy's gonna do next.

Joker: "Gun, Bob."
Bob pulls out a gun and hands it to Joker.
Joker shoots Bob with it.
Joker: "Ah, I feel better."

masterthes

That was probably the biggest WTF moment of the movie. Here was a guy who was Jack's partner for so many years and Joker kills him because he was so pissed

Orbert

I didn't actually like it, either, but I got what they were going for, which is that The Joker is unpredictable and lethal, and therefore quite dangerous.  It did seem pretty random and clearly just thrown in for that effect, though.

Super Dude

Anybody know some good classic kung fu and ninja films? I've really been having a hankerin' for either cheesy '70s martial arts showdown films, or some actually awesome, fairly contemporary ninja flicks. I think it has something to do with having just watched Batman Begins. :lol

Adami

Quote from: Super Dude on July 30, 2012, 06:35:03 PM
Anybody know some good classic kung fu and ninja films? I've really been having a hankerin' for either cheesy '70s martial arts showdown films, or some actually awesome, fairly contemporary ninja flicks. I think it has something to do with having just watched Batman Begins. :lol

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Super Dude

Dimitrius

Quote from: Adami on July 30, 2012, 06:54:37 PM

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
LOVE that movie!

Adami

"Simba......"
"No...I'm the chosen one"
"Oh......"
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Dimitrius

MetalJunkie

Super Dude

Wow. That wasn't *exactly* what I was looking for, but I think I'm gonna have to try that.

jingle.boy

Go in with the right expectations, and you'll love it.  Mediocre plot, bad acting, unreal fight and action sequences.

Complete eye candy for fans of fighting movies.

tjanuranus

Phoenix87x

Just watched Ghost in the Shell for the first time in a long time.

Fascinating as always, but I don't think I'll ever truly understand it.

Fiery Winds

Drunken Master
Ip Man
Enter the Dragon
Fearless
Ong-Bak (No CGI or wires)

Super Dude

Super Dude

Total Recall (2012): Shit sandwich.

senecadawg2

Quote from: Super Dude on August 04, 2012, 09:47:45 PM
Total Recall (2012): Shit sandwich.

I just got back from this. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. It certainly wasn't great, but it served its purpose: great visuals, a somewhat interesting background story, and entertaining action sequences (although, they were also very over the top).