News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

The First Verse of Outcry

Started by Frost134, May 31, 2012, 05:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost134

Does anyone else feel the lyrics are cheesy and dumb? I honestly cringe every single time I listen to this song when the vocals first enter. Anyone share my opinion?

FlyingBIZKIT

theseoafs

SeRoX

Absolutely no. I think they are pretty good. Actually what's chessy and dumb about it?

Frost134

Quote from: SeRoX on May 31, 2012, 05:31:18 PM
Absolutely no. I think they are pretty good. Actually what's chessy and dumb about it?

Just, everything. Any song that starts talking about "the battle cry" or "the war to end all wars" is just cheesy to me. All that aside, it is a fantastic song. But that first verse just irks me.

Adami

Most DT lyrics since 6 Degrees have been stupid and cheesy (yea yea yea, imo).
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Frost134 on May 31, 2012, 05:28:05 PM
Does anyone else feel the lyrics are cheesy and dumb? I honestly cringe every single time I listen to this song when the vocals first enter. Anyone share my opinion?
No.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Elite

Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

SeRoX

Quote from: Frost134 on May 31, 2012, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: SeRoX on May 31, 2012, 05:31:18 PM

Just, everything. Any song that starts talking about "the battle cry" or "the war to end all wars" is just cheesy to me. All that aside, it is a fantastic song. But that first verse just irks me.

If you look as a whole they did pretty good job. Subject is cool, lines are mostly rhymed and conveying the subject. I'm not a fan of DT's lyrics because most of them are not good but this is one really great, IMO.

olliemedsy

aren't prog and metal both cheesy separately, so even more so when combined?

Madman Shepherd

The song may have some cliches but I looked at it more as a world event and all of the different things that have been said by various onlookers, news outlets, bloggers, politicians. 

In other words, I think the lyrics are awesome as are all of the lyrics on ADTOE. 

With the exception of a few off of the last album by JP and about half of MP's, I really love DT's lyrics. 

TJPNET

I absolutely abhor the lyrics to this song. If it weren't for the instrumental section, I would never listen to it.

ResultsMayVary

senecadawg2

Ħ

Quote from: Adami on May 31, 2012, 05:51:59 PM
Most DT lyrics since 6 Degrees have been stupid and cheesy (yea yea yea, imo).
Yeah, that's pretty much true.

mrjazzguitar

never listened to the lyrics

Slain

Nah, it's not that cheesy. There are some DT songs with subpar lyrics post Six Degrees, but not EVERY SINGLE SONG.  :millahhhh

Adami

Quote from: Slain on May 31, 2012, 09:43:25 PM
Nah, it's not that cheesy. There are some DT songs with subpar lyrics post Six Degrees, but not EVERY SINGLE SONG.  :millahhhh

If the par is lyrics from like Awake or something, then yes every album post 6D is sup par lyrically. In fact I can't think of a single song after 6D who's lyrics are anything more than "okay" at best.

Ħ

In the Name of God has pretty good lyrics. I don't like the song much, but the lyrics are better than "okay".

Adami

Quote from: Ħ on May 31, 2012, 09:58:50 PM
In the Name of God has pretty good lyrics. I don't like the song much, but the lyrics are better than "okay".

Meh, they read like a highschool report.

BlobVanDam

This thread makes me wonder why we have a DT sub-forum.

YtseJamittaja

ZirconBlue

I'll join the chorus of "no".  "War to end all wars" may seem hyperbolic, but to those actually living those events in the Middle East I could see it being an appropriate sentiment.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

theseoafs

JayOctavarium

Quote from: theseoafs on May 31, 2012, 05:30:49 PM
Quote pyramid time!

AM I DOIING IT RITE!?!?

On topic:

No not at all!

Ben_Jamin

Not at all,

"somewhere overhead distant thunders roar" - this isn't cheesy, cliche but that doesn't matter, it represents how unexpected and unknowing bombs and all that jazz will explode, creating thunder.

tartarus250

for goodness sake guy's i think you might be over analizing the songs a wee bit 5 of the best musicians on the planet still  together and making wonderful music and you are moaning and nit picking about how good the lyrics are? on the whole i think they do quite a good job especially after such a long career!! :tdwn

Ħ

Quote from: chefdaddy42 on June 01, 2012, 08:25:17 AM
Don't make me do it.

bosk1

j

I don't think Outcry's lyrics are good at all, and not just the first verse either.  It's one of the weaker songs on the album, but I still enjoy listening to it.

-J