Words you have difficulty pronouncing.

Started by Gadough, June 15, 2012, 12:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehra

I've got the R - W speech impediment going on slightly, so there are quite a few words I have trouble pronouncing. It was adorable when I was little but now it's just annoying.

Nekov

Implode

I don't have much difficulty pronoucing English words. What's bad is when I realize I've been mispronouncing a word, so then I have to get used to the new way. The most recent example is requited. I've been pronoucing it like quit like a dummy.

VioletS16

English pronunciation = easy.
Pronouncing the Norwegian name "Øystein" = broken jaw.

Progmetty

Quote from: Super Dude on June 15, 2012, 06:20:00 AM
Just say what we all say: Mass o' two shits :P

That still doesn't sound right! But close. Can we get a closer one?

mrjazzguitar

I can never say "The Silence of the Lambs" without mumbling

Zydar

Words like 'library' and 'arbitrary' are pretty difficult for me. Luckily I don't speak English in my daily life.

Kosmo

Everything in English. Such a silly language.

I chat a lot with English speaking people and all of them seem to understand me so I guess it's fine but in my head it's pretty difficult to pronounce English words. One thing I constantly avoid when speaking English is pronouncing the letter ''R'' like we do in Finland because it just sounds extremely silly and annoys me to no end when someone else does it.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Zydar on June 15, 2012, 09:55:30 AM
Words like 'library' and 'arbitrary' are pretty difficult for me. Luckily I don't speak English in my daily life.

What about February? That one's an awkward one.
The worst part is that if you actually pronounce it clearly and properly, it sounds wrong, because it sounds clunky, and nobody actually pronounces it like it's phonetically written. Most people just say something more like Febry or Febury.

Scorpion

Those look retarded in writing, though.

VioletS16

Quote from: BlobVanDam on June 15, 2012, 09:59:46 AM
Quote from: Zydar on June 15, 2012, 09:55:30 AM

What about February? That one's an awkward one.
The worst part is that if you actually pronounce it clearly and properly, it sounds wrong, because it sounds clunky, and nobody actually pronounces it like it's phonetically written. Most people just say something more like Febry or Febury.
Febry? Febury? I *always* say "Feb-ru-ary"  :-\

snapple

Jaffa

Zydar

Quote from: snapple on June 15, 2012, 10:43:30 AM
"I'm wrong"

Now that you're married you better get used to saying that line ;D

Nekov

black_biff_stadler

kirksnosehair

Pneumonultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis

DebraKadabra

yeshaberto

Adami

www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

lateralus88

Adami

www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

yeshaberto

Quote from: Adami on June 15, 2012, 12:12:54 PM
Quote from: lateralus88 on June 15, 2012, 12:03:58 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. Go figure.

Thank you for that. Just put it in a story I wrote, worked perfectly.

I started to try and read that word to my 12-year old a minute ago and he finished it  :lol

black_biff_stadler

Seems like a scene from a Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints commercial :lol

kirksnosehair

On a serious note, for some reason, I always seem to stumble on the word "superfluous"

Scorpion

EDIT: Yeah, the original wasn't funny. Sorry for that.

alirocker08

I apparently said 'Lozenges' wrong my entire life

masterthes

Quote from: Progmetty on June 15, 2012, 09:38:41 AM
Quote from: Super Dude on June 15, 2012, 06:20:00 AM
Just say what we all say: Mass o' two shits :P

That still doesn't sound right! But close. Can we get a closer one?
I think it's supposed to sound like mass o chew sits/sets

DebraKadabra

How about we just split the difference and call you Mass-holes? :biggrin:

hefdaddy42

For some reason, I have problem with "digit."
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

black_biff_stadler

Quick question for all of you whose primary language isn't English: is the "th" consonant cluster the most difficult one to pronounce? I notice a lot of people pronounce it as more of just a "t" sound.

LCArenas

I have a problem with the word species. I tend to say specie because in my native Spanish "Especie" is singular and "Especies" is plural, so I can't wrap my head around saying species as singular. It's not really a pronouncing problem but there's no other thread to say this.

Also I have a problem with the word "Plural", since I tend to pronounce it as "Prural"

Silver Tears

I sometimes get tongue tied around words like "particularly" if I'm not careful.

Scorpion

Quote from: black_floyd on June 16, 2012, 11:19:51 AM
Quick question for all of you whose primary language isn't English: is the "th" consonant cluster the most difficult one to pronounce? I notice a lot of people pronounce it as more of just a "t" sound.

I know many of my classmates, who either pronounce it as "t" or as "s", but I have never had problems with it. Then again, I went to an International School for the first seven years of my education life, so that might have something to do with it. I can't remember if I ever had problems with it, though.

With regards to other consonant clusters, I don't really know. If the people I know have problems, then it isn't as glaringly obvious as with "th", I guess. There are a few other, very popular wrong pronounciations, such as "country" spoken with "a-u" instead of "cuntry" (that looks wrong! :lol:), but nothing that ties in with the consonant clusters you were asking about.