News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

System of a Down Thread

Started by Ouda, July 19, 2009, 02:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Castle

Radio/Video and Question are my two favorite tracks

SystematicThought

I love Radio/Video. It has that tinge of progressive flavorings

TioJorge

My favorite SoaD moment is on Memorize, from Question! to Lost in Hollywood. Such a kickass run, just pure fuck. Even though those aren't my favorite songs, they're up there, but those songs in order change the game completely. Fapfapfapfap

P.S. After watching The Dark Knight, I absolutely cannot get the picture of Batman saying "ANYMORE" when Daron says it in ATWA...

Jamesman42

Quote from: Kotowboy on February 09, 2012, 05:26:22 PM
Quote from: TheLordOfTheStrings on October 09, 2011, 12:34:17 PM
System of a Down rocks my shit. They were my first favorite band. Ah.

I met John, the drummer, at the NAMM show two years ago, and I met Serj in front of some restaurant in Malibu like four years ago. Both guys were ridiculously nice. Daron was the reason I started playing guitar, and now it's my life. I seriously owe System of a Down A LOT. Luckily I was able to tell Serj and John how much System changed my life and how thankful I am for it. :)

Daron seems like such a prick. His Napoleon Complex absolutely destroyed the band for me. He played all guitar and bass on the last two albums and did the artwork / produced it and sang way more lead vocals than normal.

Hence - they were dreadful.

Well, to be honest, he writes almost all of the music. While all 4 members are pretty incredible, Daron is pretty much why SOAD put out the albums.

And every band evolves, M/H felt like a very logical followup to Toxicity/STA imo. Also, yeah, Daron stepped up more with the singing, but Serj also stepped up by playing instruments on some songs live and giving Daron room to breathe for songs he sang he lead on. I believe they compliment each other very well, and are unique.

I cannot imagine Lost in Hollywood having Serj on vocals and being better. Serj is awesome being in the background for that song, providing some great harmonies and occasional spins to the song.
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Also, giving Mezmerize another listen, fucking amazing album.
\o\ lol /o/

Dark Castle

It's been a couple weeks since I gave Mesmerize a complete listen, and as always it's blowing my mind with amazing it is.

lateralus88

Yeah Question! is basically the best thing SOAD has ever written. And some might remember that Mezmerize is my all time favourite album ever of all time forever.

Gadough

fuck you pig
fuck you pig
fuck you pig
fuck you pig
put your hands up, get outta the car

Jamesman42

Goddamn it, I feel like I am rediscovering SOAD all over again after having gone so long without listening to them. Every time I put them on now, it's just pure awesomeness.

Yeah, they're back to being a top 5 band for me. They used to be my favorite for like 5 years. It's hard to argue with a discog of about 6 album's worth of amazingly consistent material of which I don't care too much for very few of their songs (maybe 5 at the most).
\o\ lol /o/

theliloutkast

I tend to go a few months without listening to System, then I throw them on and say to myself "Why haven't I listened to them in forever? They're fucking kick ass!" Listening to System is a mix of nostalgia and the feeling of being reunited with a very dear friend that you neglected for far too long.

My favorite System song right now is a toss up between Radio/Video and Mr. Jack. System knows how to jam out and give you some  :metal :metal :metal :metal moments, but they also now how to give you some  :millahhhh moments in between.

Progmetty

I only ever heard Toxicity but this page of this thread makes a very strong case that I should listen to Mezmerize as soon as possible!

lateralus88

Quote from: metty on February 10, 2012, 10:59:06 PM
I only ever heard Toxicity but this page of this thread makes a very strong case that I should listen to Mezmerize as soon as possible!
Jesus Christ man where have you been?

Kotowboy

Dark Castle

lateralus88

lateralus88

The King in Crimson

Thanks to the resurgence of this thread, I'm giving SOAD a listen for the first time in a... long time, Mezmerize and Hypnotize specifically.

Man, the drop in quality from Mez to Hyp is really quite apparent.  Mez is much better than I remember.  :metal

Kotowboy

Quote from: The King in Crimson on February 11, 2012, 01:06:34 PM
Thanks to the resurgence of this thread, I'm giving SOAD a listen for the first time in a... long time, Mezmerize and Hypnotize specifically.

Man, the drop in quality from Mez to Hyp is really quite apparent.  Mez is much better than I remember.  :metal

This. Mezmerize was like " hey this is pretty cool ".

Hypnotize was like " Oh........."

lateralus88

That was my initial to Hypnotize actually. It just felt like it was missing something. I actually felt legitimately empty after my first 5 listens or so. Many years later, I finally LISTENED to the album a lot more and to all the things going on throughout. What really blew my mind were the vocal bits in Dreaming and Stealing Society. You know, the duet harmony stuff. That was when I fell in love with Hypnotize after giving it shit for so long. Now I love (almost) every song on it to death. The only thing that keeps me from loving Hypnotize as much as I love Mezmerize is because Mezmerize is a 5/5 album while Hypnotize is a 4/5 album.

Kotowboy

I just thought it was weak compared to Toxicity.

And i'm not a fan of Daron at all. Why have a lead singer if he pretty much does backing vocals on his own album ?

They might as well have changed their name to System Of A Daron. :p

If they release a 5th album - i'd like a lot more Serj and a new producer.

I've noticed bands that consistently use Rick Rubin make great albums to begin with that take a nosedive in quality the more they do.

( RHCP )

Although I did think it was quite cool that the albums were released seperately and were designed to fit together to make a double album boxset :)

I might have to make a playlist on Spotify of Mez and Hyp and listen to them back to back. . . * goes off to do just that *..

CodyWanKenobi

Daron's dad actually did the artwork - he's a damn good painter.

Steal This Album! is actually my favorite of their albums. It's fucking amazing. Yall should give it another listen if you haven't in a while.
My latest concept album "III: The Sparrow & The Architect" is out now!
"IV: Timber" Coming Fall 2024!
linktree = STARCOMMANDStudios

Kotowboy

I like the Knight Rider theme in E I E I O W T F B B Q

LCArenas

Never cared too much for them tbh, except for one song, "Question!"... THAT's a good song.

Zydar

Mezmerize has really been kicking my ass lately. What an album.

Scorpion

Have any of you been to a concert? I was at SoaD concert last year, in Berlin, and it was easily the best concert I ever was at.

Plus, dredg opened, so that was pretty cool as well. I was kind of bummed that they didn't play Soldier Side, but oh well.

lateralus88

Yeah I saw them May 2011. Easily in my top 5 favourite concerts ever. Oh man what a show.

Ben_Jamin

I;ve seen them twice, once as Ozzfest headliners, and them Headlining with Gogol Bordelo opening.

It was amazing, long time fan and both times were beyond good. The latest show being the best as they played more older songs, Suite-pee, Suggestions. They looked like they were really enjoying themselves also, more so than they were on the Ozzfest gig. I would recommend seeing them live at least once.

Scorpion

Yeah, I really like how they balanced their set. Many bands just play the hits and stuff from the newest album, but with SoaD, there was something for everyone.

What sucked was that they didn't play Roulette, they played it all the shows afterwards, but oh well. And that I lost my watch while in the moshpit. It still rocked, though.

theliloutkast

System of a Down used to be my favorite band back in middle school. I still love them, but now they're one of those bands I don't listen to often. However, when I do suddenly remember they exist I listen to them nonstop for a week.

darkshade

SOAD is a big part of my musical life, and a big part of my high school times. Toxicity came out when I started my freshman year, Steal This Album when I was a sophmore, Mezmerize just months before I graduated, and Hypnotize a few months into my first year of college. I went years without listening to them, then I've rediscovered them over the last couple of years and they still kick ass.

Toxicity
Mezmerize
System of a Down
Steal This Album
Hypnotize

MondayMorningLunatic

SOAD was my favorite band at one point. I lost interest with Mezmerize and Hypnotize, but those albums have actually grown on me over time. I'm happy they got back together and hope they start making new albums.

Scorpion

SoaD are my favourite band, and Hypnotize, which many seem to like less than other albums, kicks ungodly amounts of ass. Soldier Side is probably my favourite SoaD tune ever.

lateralus88

Hypnotize is fantastic yes. It's only brought down by one certain track that I won't point fingers at because that song blows ass.