Your Controversial Opinions on DT

Started by Lucidity, December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZirconBlue

Quote from: PetFish on September 03, 2019, 05:50:47 PM
My favourite live version of TKH is from the b-side of the Hollow Years single.

The instrumental section (7:50-END) with JP playing some slide with DS on the organ along with the unison of that familiar melody (don't know the name of the actual song) and JL's smooth vox is just so cool and and don't forget the blink-and-you'll-miss-it part where they play the riff from A Fortune In Lies behind the vocals instead of the as-recorded riff (5:43-5:59).

That's my favorite version, as well.  I love the Carol of the Bells section.

Evai

I like how Labrie's advice to Charlie to sing 'Swimming in a lake of fire' on WDADRu, was to go into falsetto... Sounds like he wanted to cause another 'I am the killing haaaand' moment to me   :metal

JayOctavarium

I get cranky when I skip the wank too many times...

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: JayOctavarium on September 18, 2019, 09:37:55 AM
one does not skip any wank section when it comes to DT :D
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

JayOctavarium

Yea but too much wank and I start to chafe

Dublagent66

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on September 18, 2019, 09:49:37 AM
Quote from: JayOctavarium on September 18, 2019, 09:37:55 AM
one does not skip any wank section when it comes to DT :D

I skip the wankery sections in Illumination Theory by skipping the entire song. :neverusethis:

King Postwhore

I wank during the wank sections of the song.  Wait, what?
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Dublagent66

Ben_Jamin

So it was JM that wanted to play Don't Look Past Me.

bosk1

Controversial opinion:  The piano melody in Out of Reach is far more haunting and beautiful than ANYTHING ever composed by Kevin Moore.

danoz

Quote from: bosk1 on September 25, 2019, 03:55:30 PM
Controversial opinion:  The piano melody in Out of Reach is far more haunting and beautiful than ANYTHING ever composed by Kevin Moore.

I would say Space Dye Vest is pretty haunting. I love both songs, it's just that SDV is more obscure and creepy. Out of Reach is definitely more conventional in a structured song sense though, however both have a lot of emotional depth.

TAC

I think I've listened to Out Of Reach once.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

ThatOneGuy2112

Quote from: TAC on September 25, 2019, 07:02:29 PM
I think I've listened to Out Of Reach once.

I've listened to it many times, but feel like I've only heard it once. :corn

SystematicThought

Disagree, but what's great is that music hits people differently. I find the keyboard intro to Metropolis Pt 1 to be more haunting and emotional than anything JR has done. Space Dye Vest in haunting, Wait For Sleep is restrained and emotional, whereas I think JR would have done some crazy and fit as many notes into one section as he can.

I will say, Distance Over Time is JR's most restrained album and tasteful albums, he adds a lot to it and it wouldn't be the same album without it. The keys he plays over the guitar riffs at the beginning of Wit's End are really cool

Max Kuehnau

I attended The Astonishing Live and IMHO, the album worked a lot better live than I thought and I learned to appreciate it by way of the live show (which might have been harder had it not been for that)

hefdaddy42

REALLY controversial opinion: Out of Reach is the best song on Distance Over Time.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on September 26, 2019, 06:19:03 AM
REALLY controversial opinion: Out of Reach is the best song on Distance Over Time.
yes, along with PBD.

Lonk

Build me up, Break me down has Petrucci's best guitar riff from ADTOE.

The Walrus

That is damn controversial  :biggrin:

pg1067

With the caveat that I've never heard anything composed by KM other than his contributions to DT, I don't agree with this, but only because of the superlative nature of the statement.  I don't think there's much of anything on WDADU that I would describe as "haunting" or "beautiful."  On I&W, you've got Surrounded (the intro and outro) and Wait for Sleep, and on Awake, you've got SDV (you could also throw Eve into the mix).  I would say all of those compositions are on roughly the same level, and I would disagree that any of them is "far more haunting and beautiful" than any of the others.

gzarruk

Quote from: pg1067 on September 26, 2019, 10:07:13 AM
I don't think there's much of anything on WDADU that I would describe as "haunting" or "beautiful."

The keyboard intro on TOWHTSTS fits these criteria, imo.

Chino

James' new tattoo looks ridiculous and out of place. I think I hate it.   

*runs for cover*

JayOctavarium

Quote from: Chino on September 26, 2019, 12:06:21 PM

*runs for cover*

NO U

Cool Chris

James' new tattoo looks ridiculous and out of place.

I am not a tattoo guy to begin with, and most times I see tattoos that large and detailed I tend to dislike them.
Maybe the grass is greener on the other side because you're not over there fucking it up.

Madman Shepherd

I don't necessarily agree with you but the piano melody he plays on that song is pretty damn beautiful and haunting. That's what drives me nuts about him. He has the ability to play these beautiful and somewhat simplistic, at least by his standards, melodies, but without somebody like Petrucci to restrain him he gets to noodley.

SystematicThought

*runs for cover*
Agreed 1000%. In about 15 years, it's going to look really dumb. More power to him, but it's kinda overkill

NoFred

Tattoo regrets are always why did I get that -or- it should be bigger... seems to me JLB has been around enough to know what he wants, and won't GAF in 15 years.

TAC

Right, what is James, mid to late 50's? I doubt at 70, he'll look back and go WTF? I would think he's at the age now to regret something he did when he was 20. But I think he's old enough..
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

RodrigoAltaf

romdrums

Here's one: having Mike Mangini in the band has boosted their overall level of professionalism and respect.

Max Kuehnau

Quote from: romdrums on September 28, 2019, 08:11:18 AM
Here's one: having Mike Mangini in the band has boosted their overall level of professionalism and respect.
yes, because they make less mistakes live. (and I haven't heard Jordan and MM make any)

Volante99

Quote from: Max Kuehnau on September 28, 2019, 08:13:13 AM
Quote from: romdrums on September 28, 2019, 08:11:18 AM
yes, because they make less mistakes live. (and I haven't heard Jordan and MM make any)

Right, because Dream Theater had a reputation for sloppy playing and lack of respect amongst fans/musicians before Mangini... :P

Professionalism and respect in what context? Without knowing more, I'd disagree with the hypothesis and would argue their reputation for professionalism and respect has remained pretty consistent throughout their careers minus a couple hiccups in both the Mangini and Portnoy era.

If we are talking about respect and professionalism between the band members, as in relationship-wise, then perhaps.

Architeuthis

IDontNotDoThings

Controversial opinion: Octavarium is too long, especially in the instrumental section between Full Circle and Intervals (& to a lesser extent the Medicate key solo and Razor's Edge guitar solo). It bothers me that multiple times, the instrumental builds up as if it's going to transition, but then it just kinda resets back to where it was. It feels so redundant & sometimes even ruins my immersion completely.

geeeemo

Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on September 30, 2019, 01:39:19 AM
Controversial opinion: Octavarium is too long, especially in the instrumental section between Full Circle and Intervals (& to a lesser extent the Medicate key solo and Razor's Edge guitar solo). It bothers me that multiple times, the instrumental builds up as if it's going to transition, but then it just kinda resets back to where it was. It feels so redundant & sometimes even ruins my immersion completely.

I like the length and appreciate when DT seems to be taking a bit too much time, and I enjoy all the different parts. The going back and being redundant, kind of fits with the whole premise of the song anyway. For me, sometimes a build up needs to take a step back or just hang - it creates even more build up. That's just me. I love every second of Ocatavarium.  :heart