News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Senecadawg's Top 50 Least Disliked DT Songs

Started by senecadawg2, January 12, 2013, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senecadawg2

Quote from: wasteland on January 13, 2013, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: Pols Voice on January 13, 2013, 11:05:05 AM
I thought the first post was the troll and the list itself was going to be written normally. Ah well.

Portrucci.

Yeah, me too. Still, this is interesting, even though I think I will outrage at some of your choices (as I already did for H'sK).

Say, this mean there are more than 50 DT song that go from 94/100 of hate to hate in your mind?

absolutely.

I don't want to spoil anything to come later in the list... but I can assure you that Just Let Me Breathe will not be included

Zook

Dream Theater's version of The Glass Prison is so much better.

Elite

I hate The Glass Prison more than One Last Time and Hell's Kitchen as well, but why do you place it higher on your list then?
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

theseoafs

It occurred to me that this might be the first top 50 list that is locked for bashing the band.

Destiny Of Chaos

Quote from: theseoafs on January 13, 2013, 11:53:52 AM
It occurred to me that this might be the first top 50 list that is locked for bashing the band.

I'd say that it's possible. Is "Portucci" some sort of insult?

senecadawg2

I believe I said Portrucci, and I don't think it is an insult. At least, not that I know of. As for the claim that I'm only bashing the band, I don't see that. I'm expressing my legitimate reasons for disliking songs, and choosing to omit the majority of my reasons for liking those same songs.

I've read through many of these lists, and it seems like time after time the lister only talks about what makes each song so special and fantastic. I thought it would be interesting if I ordered songs by how much I disliked them, and then modeled my list off of that.

EDIT: so no, I am not a troll.

Quote from: Elite on January 13, 2013, 11:52:17 AM
I hate The Glass Prison more than One Last Time and Hell's Kitchen as well, but why do you place it higher on your list then?

This is my list, and my turn to make the rules  :P

In all seriousness though, while I include the degree to which I dislike a song, I do not include the degree to which I like a song. Quite frankly, while TGP has more to dislike than One Last Time and Hell's Kitchen, it also has more to like.

theseoafs

Quote from: senecadawg2 on January 13, 2013, 12:04:49 PM
I believe I said Portrucci, and I don't think it is an insult. At least, not that I know of. As for the claim that I'm only bashing the band, I don't see that.

I certainly do, and my bet is that the mods will as well.  This thread was a massive miscalculation if you ask me.  Godspeed.

senecadawg2

I'm mildly sarcastic, and I thought 9/10ths of you people would get that immediately. Apparently only Elite got the sarcasm in my original post. You're taking this a little too seriously if you ask me.  :chill

As it turns out, Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. :omg:

But as I said in the original post, I was having a tough time creating this list and decided it may be easier if I focused on the things I disliked about these songs. That's exactly what I've done, and if you really think that I'm actually 'bashing the band', then you need to reexamine my intent.

SomeoneLikeHim

I think it's a good and unique idea, I'm looking forward to reading it  :tup

btw if it's not a troll whats with the "Dream Theatre"?

jonny108

SomeoneLikeHim

Quote from: jonny108 on January 13, 2013, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: SomeoneLikeHim on January 13, 2013, 01:48:05 PM

btw if it's not a troll whats with the "Dream Theatre"?

Humour I believe.
Well there could be that. Goddamn kids these days with their "humour".

senecadawg2

I've seen it spelled that way before by people who a) didn't know the band very well, and b) didn't like the band much. I thought since I was going to satirize my list, I might as well satirize those people while I'm at it.

chaotic_ripper

It's sad that you have to break character to explain to people that its a joke. I can't believe these folks don't get sarcasm!  Anyway, I love it, and can't wait for more. Good job seneca.

MoraWintersoul

theseoafs

Quote from: senecadawg2 on January 13, 2013, 01:55:54 PM
I've seen it spelled that way before by people who a) didn't know the band very well, and b) didn't like the band much. I thought since I was going to satirize my list, I might as well satirize those people while I'm at it.

But who is this list satirizing?  People who like Dream Theater, or people who don't?  Why do either of those groups of people need satirizing, and why in a DT top 50 thread?  Moreover, if you're sorting your list by how much you dislike the songs, then why is TGP above all the other songs in the first update?

Whatever.  Maybe I'm just getting curmudgeonly in my old age. 

Rattlehead

Well the joke definitely went over my head at first  :lol I'll be following the list though  :tup

Sycsa

senecadawg2

Quote from: theseoafs on January 13, 2013, 03:10:17 PM
Quote from: senecadawg2 on January 13, 2013, 01:55:54 PM
But who is this list satirizing?  People who like Dream Theater, or people who don't?  Why do either of those groups of people need satirizing, and why in a DT top 50 thread?  Moreover, if you're sorting your list by how much you dislike the songs, then why is TGP above all the other songs in the first update?

It's satirizing the people I have met who disregard DT for no good reason, as well as the process of making a top 50 list. Why in a DT top 50 thread? because I've read through dozens of them before, and I thought the process could use some spicing up. The way I developed my own list was by ranking them in order of how much I disliked them, as it was easier for me to get started. I then flipped that list upside down to get this list. And why is TGP above all the other songs in the first update? because it's my favorite of the 5. Do you understand how these lists work? I thought it was pretty clear.

Jarlaxle

It's still a top 50, he just made the list in reverse order (that's what I'm gathering anyways). I was  :lol at the first post, then  :mehlin at the first update, then I finally caught on to what was going on.

fibreoptix

Personally I like the idea of a top 50 that focuses on the negatives rather than the same old positives we've heard time and time again. It's refreshing and interesting to see what certain fans don't like about their favourite DT songs. :)

As for Portrucci. I lol'd. :lol

Zook

fibreoptix

Prog Snob

BlobVanDam

SomeoneLikeHim

I'm sorry if I ever gave the impression of critisizing the thread. I think it's brilliant and I'm glad someone thought of it. :tup

LieLowTheWantedMan

wasteland

Ok, now you should get back in the character and carry on with your unconventional list ;)

Rho d Berth

Cool list! Keep it coming!
Please include the awesome and wonderful ITPOE pt2 for it's disgusting out-of-place instrumental section which is a shame for the rest of the song which is that awesome that itmakes the song still top-5 in my books!

Marion Crane

This guy is totally trolling.  "I must also admit that I don't particularly like Dream Theatre, or their music" and then later he says "As it turns out, Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands."

chaotic_ripper

Quote from: Marion Crane on January 14, 2013, 09:51:43 AM
This guy is totally trolling.  "I must also admit that I don't particularly like Dream Theatre, or their music" and then later he says "As it turns out, Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands."

You really don't get it, do you?

Marion Crane

wasteland

Nekov

I can agree with some of those songs sucking. However Hell's Kitchen there? :whatisthisidonteven:

senecadawg2

Quote from: Nekov on January 14, 2013, 12:29:47 PM
I can agree with some of those songs sucking. However Hell's Kitchen there? :whatisthisidonteven:

Hell's Kitchen just doesn't have too much to offer. But it can't be THAT bad, considering it made it into my top 50 least disliked songs  ;)

And with that, I think it is time we progress!

45. Scene Five: Through Her Eyes

Foreshadowing the orgasmic Home, Scene Five opens with some alright gospel-esque female vocals. It also closes with a fantastic little guitar solo from Portrucci. My biggest complaint is the 3 minute section sitting in the middle of this song, offering nothing but cheesy lyrics.

Cons: Wait a second, I just realized something! That isn't a guitar solo... Damn, I must have confused this with the live version. Oh yeah, and those cheesy lyrics.

DoD: 82

44. On the Backs of Angels

When this song was first broadcast over youtube, my expectations for DT11 soared from 'this is gonna be shit' to 'some of it might not be awful'. Anyhow, as opposed to the last couple releases, ADTOE is more of a return to their prog roots, and On the Backs of Angels was the first hint of that return. Within the context of the entire album, this piece falls somewhere in the middle. Rudes does a decent job here, and everything else works well. However, as already mentioned, the real highlight now is the sentimental value for me as I look back on the day when this was first released. And surprisingly, despite listening to it about 3 times that day (a lot for any Dream Theatre song), and a couple times since, it still feels fresh.

Cons: NOTHING, is done great. And, as you will see time and time again, the lyrics are nothing special.

DoD: 81

43. The Silent Man

Hailing from Dream Theatre's 3rd studio album (or as I like to think of it: Dream Theatre's 2nd studio album) is The Silent Man, a short acoustic ballad. Being short, it stands above most of Dream Theatre's catalog. I really don't have a whole lot to say about this track because like OTBOA, nothing stands out as 'great' in this song.

Cons: This is a decent song, and therefore I have very little to complain about. It is however missing a lot of something, namely substance, and it will never be great.

DoD: 80

42. Anna Lee

Here we have another ballad; this time from Falling Into Infinity. The main thing separating this from the Silent Man is LaBree, who plays a much more interesting role here. It also has a very unique mood to it, instilling the same melancholy nostalgia that comes with all Dream Theatre music, yet without making me want to end someone else's life.

Cons: Not a very exciting song, and much heavier than its under 6 minute length. It's a moody song, and therefore it fails to deliver consistently unless I am in that particular mood.

DoD: 81

41. Innocence Faded

Returning to Awake, we have yet another ballad. Just as Anna Lee was a step up from the Silent Man in terms of vocal performance, so too is Innocence Faded a step up. Also, despite being nearly the same length as Anna Lee, this FEELS significantly shorter. One of my least disliked Dream Theatre ballads.

Con: Besides LaBree's bit from 3:55-4:14 the rest is kinda just, 'meh'... Not a top 40 pick.

DoD: 80

Sycsa

Quote from: senecadawg2 on January 14, 2013, 01:37:40 PM
Rudes
Not sure if this represents the guy who doesn't know/like DT that much (like with Dream Theatre), or the hardcore fan who even knows Jordan's birth name. Or just a typo.  :biggrin: