News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

The Official Xbox One Thread (merged)

Started by Fiery Winds, May 20, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeoneLikeHim

Quote from: ariich on May 25, 2013, 01:47:05 AM
Microsoft predicts 1 billion Xbox One sales: https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a484596/microsoft-predicts-1-billion-xbox-one-sales.html

What. :lol
QuoteMicrosoft believes that next-generation consoles could sell 1 billion units combined.
still pretty much though.

Perpetual Change

I couldn't be less excited about this. I normally don't buy new consoles around release anyway, but since I need a new desktop anyway, I might just forgo console building and go for getting a decent computer, if this is how consoles are really going.

yorost

Quote from: SomeoneLikeHim on May 29, 2013, 12:43:21 PM
Microsoft predicts 1 billion Xbox One sales: https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a484596/microsoft-predicts-1-billion-xbox-one-sales.html

QuoteMicrosoft believes that next-generation consoles could sell 1 billion units combined.
Never mind the key point that there wasn't a prediction of 1 billion units. It was an optimistic possibility if the consoles can get broad acceptance outside the gaming market, as entertainment devices.

ariich

Quote from: SomeoneLikeHim on May 29, 2013, 12:43:21 PM

Ah, they've updated the article, even the link redirects to a different link now. They'd definitely reported it as being about the Xbox One, although Digital Spy does rush in to its articles sometimes without checking the facts.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Destiny Of Chaos

Chino

Quote from: Destiny Of Chaos on May 29, 2013, 04:12:46 PM

If Nintendo could make a console that had equivalents to GTA, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, and Gran Turismo 5... I'd gladly give them my money. I sold my Wii and haven't missed it at all.

black_biff_stadler

zepp-head

Everything mentioned in this thread so far is a big reason why video games have become a near non-existent part of my life, and I used to be a die hard.

At this point, I just want good Zelda and Smash Bros games.  So if Smash 4 looks sub par, or Zelda WiiU is anything like Skyward Sword, I might just be done with video games in general.

Perpetual Change

Quote from: Chino on May 29, 2013, 04:25:06 PM
Quote from: Destiny Of Chaos on May 29, 2013, 04:12:46 PM

If Nintendo could make a console that had equivalents to GTA, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, and Gran Turismo 5... I'd gladly give them my money. I sold my Wii and haven't missed it at all.
Yup. Exactly.

robwebster

https://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a486277/xbox-one-will-not-support-xbla-games-keep-your-360-says-microsoft.html

"Microsoft's Phil Spencer has advised Xbox 360 users to keep hold of their consoles, describing the 360 as a vibrant part of the Xbox ecosystem."

Part of me quite likes this, inasmuch as it's nice that the old hardware won't become redundant, cos I love my 360, but... crikey! The party line is, "Oh, yeah, hang on to your 360, you're going to need it if you want to keep doing all that great Xbox stuff." Dear lord! The console might be great, and even if it's not, if the PS3's taught us nothing else it's taught us that the console you buy on release day might be a very different device to the thing sitting in your living room at the end of the generation... but! For a multi-million dollar organisation, I don't know that they have any excuse for their PR to be this abominable right out the door.

El Barto

IF the new controllers will work with the old unit, and IF the new one can integrate the old one in a halfway convenient manner, that's not really a bad solution. Backwards compatibility is a real bitch, and trying to shoehorn it into the new unit would cost lots of time and money. Whereas, standardized controllers, a simple HDMI passthrough and network switch, along with a fairly simple bit of firmware could make this pretty workable. If they can't share controllers, networking and an input on your TV, then they're just being assholes.

cramx3

Good point el barto about the HDMI input. I wasn't totally sure about the use besides maybe as a cable input for TV but also to use the Xbox 360 would be a way that Microsoft keeps you spending money on the old and new system.

TL

The lack of backward compatibility is definitely disappointing, but also understandable. The 360 ran on a PowerPC architecture, while the XBone is going to be running on x86. It would be like trying to run Windows software on MacOS. They'd basically have to include a 360 inside the XBone (which Sony actually did with a 'PS1 on a chip' in the PS2, and again with the PS2 on the original PS3), which would be expensive. Really, the issue was not going with x86 on the 360 to begin with, though I'm sure they had a reason.

cramx3

Going with x86 however should make things simpler with programming for the developers between xbox1 and the PC.

Dimitrius

KILLER INSTINCT LIVES!!!!

C-C-C-C-C-COOOOMBO BREAKER!

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

XJDenton

Only possible with the cloud!!!!!!!!
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

XJDenton

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

Implode

Wow.

My internet is being awful, so I can't wait to see the highlights.

Fiery Winds

$499 is the upper limit that I predicted, but was hoping for lower.  A lot of the games looked good, and if it wasn't for the PR nightmare these past few weeks, I'd say Microsoft was starting fine.  They really shot themselves in the foot by front loading radical change to an established market, unless Sony lines up alongside Microsoft this evening with used games.  Then they'll have shot the consumer in the foot, and that makes the future more unpredictable.

Zook

Anyone watch Angry Joe's rant on the Xbox One? This system looks to be a real winner.

Fiery Winds

Quote from: Zook on June 10, 2013, 12:18:50 PM
Anyone watch Angry Joe's rant on the Xbox One? This system looks to be a real winner.

Watching now.  :rollin

Chino

I hope the Kinect comes with some Aloe.

sueño

Chino

For that ocean of liquid hot magma that was just poured on them.

Mister Gold

Quote from: Chino on June 10, 2013, 08:20:10 PM
For that ocean of liquid hot magma that was just poured on them.

:tup

sueño

ariich

lol Microsoft.

Fair enough to the people who want an XBox one, but I genuinely never expected to be so completely turned off by any of the next-gen consoles. That's pretty impressive.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Dark Castle

I'll keep my 360, but I'm jumping on the PS4 train. Farewell Microsoft.

XJDenton

― Terry Pratchett

robwebster

Quote from: ariich on June 11, 2013, 12:31:05 PM
lol Microsoft.

Fair enough to the people who want an XBox one, but I genuinely never expected to be so completely turned off by any of the next-gen consoles. That's pretty impressive.
Seriously. Before they announced anything about either console, I figured I'd graduate from Xbox to Xbox. Didn't care about the PS4 reveal, tuned in religiously to Xbox.

They pissed that away quickly. Watching the PS4 conference... I was grinning. All those cheers. So brilliantly, gleefully puckish. I'm sure Xbox One will go down well with non-gamers - it'll be great if you want to watch telly - but as a gamer, they've given me no reason to care on any level whatsoever. PS4 has utterly devastated it. They're laughing, openly, in Xbox's face. And quite rightly, too.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

j

I was so sure when Microsoft announced its shitty DRM policy and other off-putting changes, that there was some industry collusion going on and we'd hear similar news about Sony's new console as well.  Not so.

I'm not sure what the fools at Microsoft think they're doing, but this appears to be fucking suicide. :corn

-J

Dimitrius

Quote from: j on June 11, 2013, 03:42:41 PM
I was so sure when Microsoft announced its shitty DRM policy and other off-putting changes, that there was some industry collusion going on and we'd hear similar news about Sony's new console as well.  Not so.
I was so sure of this too!

I'll still probably get the Xbox One eventually, maybe after it drops to $200-250, because some of those games they showed really intrigued me.