Just Switched Back to Android- Need Music Player Recommendations

Started by kaos2900, March 24, 2017, 06:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaos2900

After two years with a Windows phone I've jumped back to Android with the S7. While overall the Windows support is disappointing the Groove app was amazing. Since the Groove app on android appears to be total shit (doesn't appear to play music from Phone or SD Card) I'm looking for recommendations on the best music player app on Android. I have no interest in streaming music. I specifically want to play music from my SD Card. Preferably I'd like the ability to edit meta data within the app. What do you all like the most?

Sir GuitarCozmo

Pretty sure my wife has an S7 and I set up all her SD card music to play via Google Music.

ariich

I use Poweramp and I find it rather good. Gapless playback isn't great, but seems to be better than all the other players I tried out. Otherwise I find it quite excellent.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Hyperplex

I pretty much use Google Play Music exclusively. EQ is alright and I have a full account so I get all my music stored in the cloud plus whatever they have to stream.

Poweramp is pretty widely recognized as one of the best music player apps. Before I embraced the streaming apps, it was my go-to.

Grappler

I use PlayerPro.  Poweramp is also good, but I have some issue with their player not reading my MP3 tags at all.  The tags would have been generated automatically by ripping to iTunes, and I just don't want to go filter through 900 cd's and re-tag/rip them all. 

Both have a free trial app, and then a for-purchase app. The for-purchase app provides an equalizer, which I love.  They also have downloadable skins, so you can change the look of your player. 

cramx3

I just use google play.  I don't think it's the best, but it works well and I got used to it.  I'm also not an audiophile so someone with more sensitive ears might want a player with a better equalizer.

kaos2900

Playerpro it is! It tried using Poweramp but had the metadata issue. Playerpro looks like I have every thing I need. Thanks everyone!

MetalJunkie

I pay 10 bucks a month for Google Play. I can stream whatever I want, plus youtube red is included so I don't have ads when I watch.

Hyperplex

Grappler

Quote from: Hyperplex on March 24, 2017, 10:53:46 AM
^What he said. I live on Google Play at work.

If I could be connected to Wi-Fi 24/7, I'd use a streaming service.  But I'm able to keep a low data plan for my family by listening to my own MP3's, as opposed to streaming music for 3 hours per day when I'm commuting.  I also don't have any issues when I'm traveling on an airplane and don't have access to Wi-Fi, or don't have to purchase it onboard or in a hotel.   ;)

Zydar

Hyperplex

Quote from: Grappler on March 24, 2017, 11:26:06 AM
If I could be connected to Wi-Fi 24/7, I'd use a streaming service.  But I'm able to keep a low data plan for my family by listening to my own MP3's, as opposed to streaming music for 3 hours per day when I'm commuting.  I also don't have any issues when I'm traveling on an airplane and don't have access to Wi-Fi, or don't have to purchase it onboard or in a hotel.   ;)

Makes sense. I'm on Wi-Fi almost all day. Have it at home, in my car, and at work so I don't have to worry too much.

lordxizor

I have Google Play and I downloaded all my music to an SD card so I can listen offline. Works perfectly, though my 64 GB SD card is now full and my phone doesn't support a bigger one.

cramx3

Quote from: lordxizor on March 24, 2017, 06:04:49 PM

I have Google Play and I downloaded all my music to an SD card so I can listen offline. Works perfectly, though my 64 GB SD card is now full and my phone doesn't support a bigger one.

+1 to the 64GB SD card stored with music (although mine is not offline files, but my mp3s)  :metal  I try not to engage in streaming for data reasons, plus I don't particularly need the vast internet of music at my fingertips honestly.  As long as I have my collection I am more than good for any situation plus when I am on wifi I then have all that access. 

faizoff

I use poweramp, to me it's the best sounding player I've used. I bought the pro version of it but have to be honest, it took a lot of tweaking to make it play right. I used to constantly have issues where it would stop, skip or sound crappy. After a lot of tinkering it sounds really amazing and plays flawless now.

I'll have to try some of the others listed here.

Prog Snob