News:

Track-by-track video for Fall Into the Light:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

Main Menu

Mike Portnoy

Started by Mindflux, June 13, 2014, 07:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

Dream Team

Mindflux

I'd still like to know more about the private jet? Who in their relationship could afford to rent one for a flight? (or own it?).

nobloodyname

It was a PA28; a single prop.

Not sure why you're asking the question but it wasn't a jet. Hiring a single prop isn't prohibitively expensive.

ariich

Quote from: TAC on July 01, 2015, 06:14:54 AM
It's a story that should be familiar to most of us but a great tribute nonetheless.
https://bravewords.com/news/mike-portnoy-pays-tribute-to-grade-11-high-school-teacher-thank-you-pat-lynch-for-changing-my-life
Gotta say, as much as MP's emotional intensity creates problems for him sometimes, it also creates some really beautiful moments and stories like this as well. Really nice, sad and powerful stuff.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Mindflux

Quote from: nobloodyname on July 01, 2015, 01:50:46 PM

Not sure why you're asking the question but it wasn't a jet. Hiring a single prop isn't prohibitively expensive.

Because every article I've read says "private jet" which can be quite expensive.

El Barto

Quote from: Mindflux on July 01, 2015, 07:29:11 PM
Quote from: nobloodyname on July 01, 2015, 01:50:46 PM

Because every article I've read says "private jet" which can be quite expensive.
It was a privately owned Piper Cherokee and was non-commercial, flying under general aviation rules.  Since there were four people on board I'd guess that they were riding up with another couple, one of which was a pilot.

nobloodyname

...and the pilot sadly suffered a heart attack. The circumstances around the crash were awful.

bl5150

Well it sounds like early Testament which is no surprise.......... it's a decent enough thrashy song.  I've been listening to quite a bit of thrash lately and this certainly doesn't stand out as much better than anything else.

BlobVanDam

I agree, it's a decent thrashy song that I enjoyed enough, but nothing exceptional that makes me need this album.

Zook

Quote from: RodrigoAltaf on July 13, 2015, 09:15:09 AM
First track off Metal Allegiance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zjXEXx-mIdc

It wasn't bad, but this song could have easily been on The Formation of Damnation.

nobloodyname

I loved it!

I will have to check out The Formation of Damnation.

ariich

Fun enough, but pretty typical 80s thrash.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

TAC

Quote from: nobloodyname on July 13, 2015, 09:49:36 AM
I loved it!

I will have to check out The Formation of Damnation.
That is a great album!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

Lowdz

I was no thrash fan back in the day but I like some now. This is exactly how I like it too, and struggle to find. I will probably pick this up.
Melodic enough for me. Chuck is hit and miss for me but he's fine here.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

rumborak

Quote from: ariich on July 13, 2015, 10:54:51 AM
Fun enough, but pretty typical 80s thrash.

I was honestly expecting James Hetfield to start singing. And when the vocals came out, I actually thought for a second it was James.

bosk1

reneranucci

XB0BX

Metal by numbers, which I feel like most modern thrash metal is.

sneakyblueberry

Just listened to this, fantastic to hear Mike playing like that!  Digging it.

ytserush

Quote from: Deathless on May 21, 2015, 06:37:28 AM
If you guys have time to kill, Mike did a 1.5 hour interview with Jamey Jasta on the Jasta Show. It's a good listen, he talks about DT, MA, WD and a ton of other stuff. It's not just an interview, but a conversation, which is refreshing. Check it!

Jamey Jasta Show

My favorite part of this interview is when Mike namechecks John Zorn. Never got the impression that he was on Mike's radar before. That's awesome.

TheCountOfNYC

Quote from: reneranucci on July 13, 2015, 05:05:06 PM
First track off Metal Allegiance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zjXEXx-mIdc
Mike's drumming  :omg: He's definitely in his element!

Mike's flying around that kit. I'm happy for him that he got to do this project. He's been in bands of all different styles but he's never been a true metal band (Avenged Sevenfold doesn't count since he only recorded the parts and didn't write them).

The Letter M

Quote from: TheCountOfNYC on July 16, 2015, 08:38:03 AM
Quote from: reneranucci on July 13, 2015, 05:05:06 PM
Mike's drumming  :omg: He's definitely in his element!

Mike's flying around that kit. I'm happy for him that he got to do this project. He's been in bands of all different styles but he's never been a true metal band (Avenged Sevenfold doesn't count since he only recorded the parts and didn't write them).

I guess Adrenaline Mob didn't count?  :lol

-Marc.

Kotowboy

Adrenaline Mob were are basically Spinal Tap without the jokes.

rumborak

It's more appropriate for this type of music, but that track might break the record for brickwalled audio. I mean, holy crap.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: rumborak on July 16, 2015, 11:11:15 AM
It's more appropriate for this type of music, but that track might break the record for brickwalled audio. I mean, holy crap.

The new Metal Allegiance one? It's not that compressed for modern metal music. The general production isn't stellar by any means, but for dynamic range it seems alright.
(If I had to take a guess, I'd say around DR7)

bobs23

Quote from: BlobVanDam on July 16, 2015, 11:15:53 AM
Quote from: rumborak on July 16, 2015, 11:11:15 AM

The new Metal Allegiance one? It's not that compressed for modern metal music. The general production isn't stellar by any means, but for dynamic range it seems alright.
(If I had to take a guess, I'd say around DR7)

It could have been a lot worse. I looked at the wavs it's right to the edge but not over. Some tracks hit harder than others, but not over.

rumborak

I've had a Metal Allegiance Youtube video running at work today, figured I'd share this gem with you:

https://youtu.be/tj_3FFEpCeo?t=1955

:rollin

Zook

Quote from: rumborak on July 16, 2015, 02:10:49 PM
I've had a Metal Allegiance Youtube video running at work today, figured I'd share this gem with you:

https://youtu.be/tj_3FFEpCeo?t=1955

:rollin

Greatest. Harmonies. Ever.

hefdaddy42

Um, the song kind of sucks.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

rumborak

Of course I haven't heard the rest of the album,  but this might be the first tribute album with original songs I've encountered.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

TAC

Quote from: kingshmegland on July 19, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
JOE SHALL PASS!
GAS!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll leave you alone for now. :))