Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

NHL Thread 2014-2015: 3 in 6

Started by KevShmev, July 01, 2014, 09:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmillerdrake

Quote from: cramx3 on April 21, 2015, 11:13:27 AM
it looked like Pitt wasn't even interested in playing anymore

They must have had the same pre-game meal as the Blues.

The Rangers are a solid team.....won't surprise me to see them playing for the cup again but I don't think any of those teams are going to roll over for them...they're going to have to earn it for sure.

cramx3

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 21, 2015, 11:18:12 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on April 21, 2015, 11:13:27 AM
it looked like Pitt wasn't even interested in playing anymore

They must have had the same pre-game meal as the Blues.

The Rangers are a solid team.....won't surprise me to see them playing for the cup again but I don't think any of those teams are going to roll over for them...they're going to have to earn it for sure.

Definitely dont expect anyone to roll over, just looked like for a good 15 minutes of gametime that the Penguins gave up and the commentators had mentioned it too saying that they often looked like that near the end of the season.  I am very worried about the potential of playing the Islanders in round 2.  As much as a rivalry series would be exciting, the Capitols are a much better match up that favors the Rangers.  Regardless, got to make it past the first round first!

gmillerdrake

Quote from: cramx3 on April 21, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
  Regardless, got to make it past the first round first!

Yeah....that whole thing..... :(

TAC

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 20, 2015, 07:12:47 PM
Well....if the Blues bow out in the first round again this year Mr. David Backes would be on the trading block so you might get a chance to have him.

Him, Steen...Oshie....Hitchcock....and a couple other 'veteran' players would have new homes next year cuz a major shake up would HAVE to happen if Minnesota takes them out. Minnesota is a good team playing well....but there's really no good reason for the Blues to lose a 7 game series to them.

It's funny how quick things change.

Bruins and Blues were discussing Oshie for Loui Erickson before Oshie went on a tear.

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 21, 2015, 09:19:26 AM
That horribly ref'd StL vs Winnipeg that cost StL 1 point looms large right now in my eyes. We'd have finished 1 point ahead of Anaheim and played Winnipeg....a team we'd faired well against all season.

That might be, but this team is out of excuses.  They now have a legit sniper and a goalie playing like a stud, and they still can't win in the playoffs?  And it's not just that they didn't win; it's how they looked. Once they realized that they couldn't penetrate the Wild defense, they just gave up.  It was one of the most gutless performances I can say I've ever seen by the St. Louis Blues in my 30+ years as a fan.  There is something fundamentally wrong with this team.  The leadership is severely lacking, from coaching to the alleged team leaders like Backes.

TAC

Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2015, 02:39:16 PM
  There is something fundamentally wrong with this team.  The leadership is severely lacking, from coaching to the alleged team leaders like Backes.

I've seen this kind of questioning with the Sharks and Joe Thornton, and have never really associated it with the Blues. I mean, only ONE team wins the Cup.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

KevShmev

That's fine, but this team has too much talent to be losing in the first round again.  I can handle them not winning the Cup, but it's hard to take them possibly bowing out in the first round again, a) to an inferior team, and b) by playing as gutless as they have for the majority of this series so far.

TAC

Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2015, 02:54:48 PM
That's fine, but this team has too much talent to be losing in the first round again.  I can handle them not winning the Cup, but it's hard to take them possibly bowing out in the first round again, a) to an inferior team, and b) by playing as gutless as they have for the majority of this series so far.

Sounds a lot like the Bruins this year. Hell they didn't even MAKE the playoffs!

KevShmev

No offense, but you are not getting it.  The Bruins just won the Cup a few years ago.  This is totally different.  Since I've been a fan, they've only been to the freaking conference finals twice (1986 and 2001), never even making the finals. 

TAC

Alright dude.
I don't even know how to respond to that but you are obviously pretty frustrated.

KevShmev

TAC

About now would be a good time to update the Classic 80's album thread. :lol

KevShmev

I just did. :lol

Ironically, I wish that album title could apply to the Blues just once. :facepalm:

TAC

gmillerdrake

Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2015, 02:39:16 PM
Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 21, 2015, 09:19:26 AM
That horribly ref'd StL vs Winnipeg that cost StL 1 point looms large right now in my eyes. We'd have finished 1 point ahead of Anaheim and played Winnipeg....a team we'd faired well against all season.

That might be, but this team is out of excuses.  They now have a legit sniper and a goalie playing like a stud, and they still can't win in the playoffs?  And it's not just that they didn't win; it's how they looked. Once they realized that they couldn't penetrate the Wild defense, they just gave up.  It was one of the most gutless performances I can say I've ever seen by the St. Louis Blues in my 30+ years as a fan.  There is something fundamentally wrong with this team.  The leadership is severely lacking, from coaching to the alleged team leaders like Backes.

By no means is it an excuse I offered. Like I said in the text I sent you....last nights game was a pathetic effort near all around. I loved Jake Allen calling them out today publicly...saying Minnesota showed up for the game, fought hard and battled and "we" didn't show up AT ALL. Good for him being that he and two or three other guys like Schwartz, Petro, Jaskin and Tarensenko are really the only ones who've given a consistent effort.

IF they lose the series.....and that's an IF......the "leaders" gotsta go. Starting with Hitchock, then Backes, Oshie and down the line.

Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2015, 02:59:26 PM
No offense, but you are not getting it.  The Bruins just won the Cup a few years ago.  This is totally different.  Since I've been a fan, they've only been to the freaking conference finals twice (1986 and 2001), never even making the finals. 

Kev, I truly don't believe that any of the regular posters in this thread quite 'get' the frustration that we can feel with the Blues. I do believe it's impossible for them to feel this. Not that they haven't felt frustrated with their team at times.....but the continual let downs year after year are just brutal, especially with such talented teams. I like your analogy of it basically being like an abusive relationship....because that's essentially what it is. But I promise this time....if they do it again....I'm going to the cops and having them thrown in jail.

KevShmev

LOL, exactly.  I can only be punched in the gut by this franchise so many times before I hit back. :lol :lol

A friend floated the idea of maybe trying to get tickets for Friday's game, and I was like, "No chance."  No way am I dropping 100 bucks to watch them roll over and die like dogs.  The last playoff game I went to was Game 2 against LA three years ago (we fell behind like 4-0 in the 1st period), and I just don't have it in me to pay big bucks for a playoff game right now. 

TAC

This picture is an actual shot of Kev watching a Blues Playoff game.

;D

King Postwhore

:lol

Until 2001, us Boston fans knew except for the C's exactly how you feel.  The kids in the past decade here in Boston have no idea how it was.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 21, 2015, 05:43:39 PM
Kev, I truly don't believe that any of the regular posters in this thread quite 'get' the frustration that we can feel with the Blues. I do believe it's impossible for them to feel this.

Although, I know I'm not a regular poster in this thread...

*ahem*

Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

LieLowTheWantedMan

So, anyone else catch Rinne getting the puck stuck in his equipment? :rollin

gmillerdrake

Quote from: jingle.boy on April 21, 2015, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 21, 2015, 05:43:39 PM
Kev, I truly don't believe that any of the regular posters in this thread quite 'get' the frustration that we can feel with the Blues. I do believe it's impossible for them to feel this.

Although, I know I'm not a regular poster in this thread...

*ahem*

I get it Chad....I really do.....but at least you can page back through history and point to Stanley Cup Champion Teams.

TAC

Nick

I'm sure Toronto will wait to see if Babcock will take the dumptruck full of cash they are waiting to unload at his doorstep.

TAC

Quote from: Nick on April 22, 2015, 08:54:00 AM
I'm sure Toronto will wait to see if Babcock will take the dumptruck full of cash they are waiting to unload at his doorstep.

I think that's the prevailing belief.

jingle.boy

Quote from: gmillerdrake on April 22, 2015, 08:22:14 AM
I get it Chad....I really do.....but at least you can page back through history and point to Stanley Cup Champion Teams.

Toronto and St. Louis are on equal footing in the number of years without a Stanley Cup.

Quote from: TAC on April 22, 2015, 08:41:32 AM
Chad, any news on the GM/Coach front?

Who cares, the team is still shit.  The last three coaches (Wilson, Maurice and Carlyle) have all had success, except in Toronto.  I'm sure Babcock would be no less helpful with the shyte we call players.
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

TAC

But don't you think there will be some changes? Or are they locked into the Kessel/Phaneuf?

I like Lupol. I'd take him down here. Always plays well against the B's. Or is he a stiff too?
Will they deal Kadri?

gmillerdrake

Quote from: jingle.boy on April 22, 2015, 09:22:33 AM
Toronto and St. Louis are on equal footing in the number of years without a Stanley Cup.

Wow....I didn't know that?? I guess that last Cup victory in 67' really does nothing for ya :lol   

I don't know which is worse then.....just habitually sucking and not winning a cup or teasing your fans all regular season with excitement and promise only to vanish once the playoffs begin?

And....this series isn't over against Minnesota....when we win tonight it's a whole new game!!! :metal

SystematicThought

I hope you guys win tonight. It wouldn't surprise me if the Wild were getting overconfident and they let their guard down. I keep hearing from people here:
"Man, the Blues suck, how do they get this far?"
"If we advance we'll have no problem winning the Stanley Cup."
"We are unbeatable"

If the team is as overconfident as the fanbase (they probably aren't), you guys could pull an upset.

TAC

St. Louis beating Minnesota shouldn't be an upset.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: TAC on April 22, 2015, 11:57:50 AM
St. Louis beating Minnesota shouldn't be an upset.

Pretty much. Listen, I think Minnesota is obviously well coached and playing good. But there is honestly no reason why the Blues 'should' lose a 7 game series to them. The fact of the matter is the playoffs are put up or shut up time and especially the past 3, 4 years when the Blues have had the players/talent to WIN the cup they haven't shown up. It's old...it's annoying and bottom line is it's time for them either to nut up and start playing their best hockey or this team and those players will be blown up next year. They haven't played a full game yet.....and still could have won game 1 had a bounce or two gone their way.

Anyway....whatever......

SystematicThought

No, you're right, it shouldn't be. But, at least from what I see from living in Minnesota, it would feel like it.

This is coming from the same team where everybody went ape shit when they were #1 in Power Rankings in the last week of the season.  :lol

I'm on the Blues side, I really need you guys to win the series.

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on April 22, 2015, 09:35:26 AM
But don't you think there will be some changes? Or are they locked into the Kessel/Phaneuf?

I like Lupol. I'd take him down here. Always plays well against the B's. Or is he a stiff too?
Will they deal Kadri?

I don't think anyone is untouchable.  Lupol and Kadri are as good as we have right now. I like Kessel, with the right support.  Phaneuf is a piece of shit, and needs to go.

The problem with Toronto isn't always issues with the club/players... it's the freaking pressure and media scrutiny.  Look at how many players (and coaches) flourish outside of Toronto... Steen, Schenn, Stempniak and Grabovski come to mind immediately.  It's been that way for 10+ years.  Players leave Toronto, and perform much better.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: SystematicThought on April 22, 2015, 12:06:02 PM
No, you're right, it shouldn't be. But, at least from what I see from living in Minnesota, it would feel like it.

To be fair to the Minnesota players....they've created that expectation by that two month run of great hockey and now executing the same tenacity in the playoffs. At this point if I were a Minnesota fan I'd think that if the Blues came back and won the series it'd be an upset....but as a Blues fan I know it'd just be them finally playing like they should....because that's what it's gonna take.

The frustrating thing for me (and Kev) and any other Blues fan is the fact that I've seen stretches of 11, 12-15 games where they just dominate and manhandle any team they play...for several years now. I know how they can play....it's just utterly baffling as to why it all vanishes in the playoffs year after year. Are the players choking? Are the coaches being out coached? Both?

gmillerdrake

Quote from: jingle.boy on April 22, 2015, 12:19:31 PM
Players leave Toronto, and perform much better.

This is StL as well....but it's usually, they leave StL then go win a cup somewhere.  :lol

Nick

I'm not sure why Schenn is on your list Chad, he's been an average D-man at best, and a healthy scratch at worst. And by getting JVR, one of the big consistent pieces up there, you guys pulled off your best trade of the last 5 years probably.