News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Artificial Intelligence - ChatGPT

Started by MinistroRaven, January 04, 2023, 06:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackInk

GPT 5 will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Quote from: MrBoom_shack-a-lack on July 17, 2024, 01:19:14 AMThey couldn't or didn't wanna understand the diffrence between the important process of learning the context and skill to formulate an answer on your own and the skills to do that. That takes time but that's so important for a childs learning curve....right?

The thing is, why DO we need skills like that when we have powerful tools to help us with whatever in the future? I can't help feeling old and worrying about how tools like AI will form our society in the future.

We slowly make ourself so dependent on tech to solve everyday tasks and morph ourselfs into non-thinking imbecils

Thing is though, formulating one's own answers on pretty much any given topic or question is a labor intensive exercise for the brain. If we had to do this for every issue, none of us would ever get anything done as we would all be Socrates with our head in the clouds all the time. Humans have always been prone to chose a system and simply trust in the information it provides to navigate the natural and social worlds, because we actually need that. Google is that for many, or at least the sources that show up on the first two pages; the Bible is another. Why spend the rest of your life trying to figure out the meaning of everything in the Universe when this priest and his book already have all the answers, allowing me to go on with plowing my field and feeding my family.

I'm not saying this defense of taking information just based on faith in the system. This is a huge problem. But I guess I'm saying that it doesn't seem like a new problem, at least in terms of kinds. In terms of degree this might be another matter entirely, due to the speed and potential variability between users and the unique interface they create as they interact with AI language models.

So I do fear that we are entering a phase of epistemological fragmentation, where we no longer have the issue of basing our understanding of the world on a system we accept on faith, but a world where each person lives accept their own individual truth-making system. I just wonder if it will be possible to live with each other in such a world.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: BlackInk on July 18, 2024, 02:01:09 AMGPT 5 will be interesting. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Thing is though, formulating one's own answers on pretty much any given topic or question is a labor intensive exercise for the brain. If we had to do this for every issue, none of us would ever get anything done as we would all be Socrates with our head in the clouds all the time. Humans have always been prone to chose a system and simply trust in the information it provides to navigate the natural and social worlds, because we actually need that. Google is that for many, or at least the sources that show up on the first two pages; the Bible is another. Why spend the rest of your life trying to figure out the meaning of everything in the Universe when this priest and his book already have all the answers, allowing me to go on with plowing my field and feeding my family.

I'm not saying this defense of taking information just based on faith in the system. This is a huge problem. But I guess I'm saying that it doesn't seem like a new problem, at least in terms of kinds. In terms of degree this might be another matter entirely, due to the speed and potential variability between users and the unique interface they create as they interact with AI language models.

So I do fear that we are entering a phase of epistemological fragmentation, where we no longer have the issue of basing our understanding of the world on a system we accept on faith, but a world where each person lives accept their own individual truth-making system. I just wonder if it will be possible to live with each other in such a world.
I absolutely get what your saying and agree atleast for adults but I can't help wonder what impact this will have 10 years from now.

For me it's about exercising and stimulating our brain. It's not about knowing everything.
First and foremost I was talking about the formative years for a childs learning curve. How important it is for a kid to have patience and think and process a topic. That seems to only be harder and harder when you say it yourself why bother when the correct answer or some form of answer is so easy to find nowdays and have been answered in the past. Why bother storing information when I can just google it. That question gets more and more relevant for every new generation to come and will be in the future.

In my little world as a drumteacher, I see kids everyday struggling with focus and patience when it comes to learning a craft like an instrument that takes alot of practice and patience to get good at.
Alot of kids these days don't like the idea of spending hours and hours to learn some tedious corrdination exercise. Shure some things can be made "fun" but it's the journey and process of learning something thats the most rewarding for someones development. That can be applied to lots of things in life.

cramx3

This is a good video How The Massive Power Draw Of Generative AI Is Overtaxing Our Grid

As a data center person professionally, this is very interesting to me, but the impact is pretty big for everyone in terms of the massive power consumption we are about to see from AI investments.