News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

What album are you listening to? v.4

Started by Nick, August 22, 2014, 07:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

home

This is really good, I really love the singers voice and I like how they go from a beautiful soundscape to almost just noice. I feel like I should dive a bit deeper into the lyrics/concept to really enjoy this though.

Train of Naught

I would describe the ending of This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed as "noise", yeah.

Crow

pretty nice jazzy instrumental prog, a few tracks here i really enjoyed and i'll probably at least come back to this for a relisten

Crow

oh man, this is some lovely intense blackgaze stuff. i dunno, i tend to prefer this kind of stuff to the "pure" black metal sound really

Big Hath

Quote from: Parama on February 12, 2016, 09:58:09 AM

some pretty solid post-metal, will probably pick this up at some point because i feel like it needs more listens anyways

Mickey Mouse-core?

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Crow

east of the wall - ressentiment

i do like this album a fair bit, though it's probably my least favorite of the three EotW discs I do have. a few songs I'm not so huge on and the best stuff here isn't as good as The Apologist but there's still a lot of killer tracks, Wisp of Tow, Fleshmaker, and Beasteater especially

Lowdz

Quote from: TAC on February 12, 2016, 01:47:53 PM
Quote from: ozzy554 on February 12, 2016, 01:42:45 PM

Classic. I remember getting this when it came out. Yngwie was so hyped.

Yeah, a classic. Lifted the bar for metal guitar.

TAC

The solo from Jet To Jet still gives me goosebumps.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on February 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM

Just perfect shred guitar.  I like the one in General Hospital too.

Sacul

I wonder why I never gave this album a fair listen - it's fucking awesome  :hefdaddy

Crow

yeah, i really need to get Signify at some point this year

Sacul

Yeah, it's the perfect mix of atmosphere and accesibility.

SebastianPratesi

Quote from: home on February 12, 2016, 10:20:53 AM

This is really good, I really love the singers voice and I like how they go from a beautiful soundscape to almost just noice. I feel like I should dive a bit deeper into the lyrics/concept to really enjoy this though.

When the album came out, the band released a short book containing full lyrics and the narration of the "story". I'm not sure it's still available, or wether it can be downloaded somewhere, but I'd say it might help a lot.

My favourite song is "Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt", probably, but there's so much going on. "Televators" is really beautiful, too.

Lowdz

Quote from: wolfking on February 12, 2016, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: TAC on February 12, 2016, 03:27:25 PM

Just perfect shred guitar.  I like the one in General Hospital too.

Full of awesome guitar but at the time I struggled with Yngwies tone on this. My favourite solo out of all the great stuff on this is the outdo solo on Suffer Me. Proves you can play with feeling and rip it up.

Lowdz

Mind split - charmed Human Art of Exisrence

jingle.boy

Quote from: Lowdz on February 13, 2016, 02:35:06 AM

Well, I'm gonna have to check this out - since every band with "Mind" in it's name is pretty much awesome.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

jakepriest

Figured I should check something new out. Instrumentally it's stellar but I'm not a big fan of the vocals.

Mladen

Quote from: Counselor of Prog on February 13, 2016, 03:45:51 AM
ELO- Discovery
This is filled to the brim with amazing tunes. I'm guilty it's the only ELO album I've heard, I had to hear it just for the hits but then I stayed for the deep cuts.

Nektar - Remember the future

Lowdz

Quote from: jingle.boy on February 13, 2016, 03:32:20 AM
Quote from: Lowdz on February 13, 2016, 02:35:06 AM

Well, I'm gonna have to check this out - since every band with "Mind" in it's name is pretty much awesome.

I had this down for your first roulette that I was in but never sent it. I think it's up your street. Pretty solid prog metal.

Prog Snob

I only bought that because of Yngwie. Bonnet's vocals are terrible. He's one of my least favorite singers.

jjrock88

Judas Priest- Painkiller

Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time

Train of Naught

Because literally everyone on DTF talks about and loves this band I thought I should give it a chance aswell!

Crow

i didn't know i was literally everyone on dtf

Lowdz

Holy Grail - times of pride and peril

Civil war -  gods and generals

Megadeth - dystopia

Sacul

Parama is the incarnation of our nightmares

Crow

there was a lot of stuff i listened to yesterday that i didn't post

dysrhythmia - pretest
ehh. i think this band isn't for me, this was alright but not that great

david bowie - blackstar
i do get why this is getting a lot of praise 'cause i can't really fault it and a few of the tracks i enjoy a lot, but i dunno how much replay value i'd get out of this

florence + the machine - lungs
i enjoy songs from florence but apparently albums as a whole just end up boring me, oh well

mum - yesterday was dramatic, today is ok
a glitchier feel than finally we are no one and i definitely prefer the latter, but i'll probably still get this one at some point

Luoto

Prog that's not being afraid of being a bit silly at times. Highlight is the 18-minute "Lifeline", despite the lyrical cliche.

Note: Whole album is up on Youtube, but hidden. Not their priority in marketing I guess.

Train of Naught

Okay, The Apologist (title-track) is great, as well as the first three, and I did like the album quite a bit. What is the deal with the amount of lengthy instrumental sections/instrumental songs though? Made it a pretty tough listen at times.

Crow

if it helps clear things up, the band was originally all instrumental, they didn't add vocals until their second album. (ok actually technically this isn't true but east of the wall specifically was instrumental)
and i'm not bothered by the instrumental sections because they tend to be great.

i also understand that it's a pretty difficult album (didn't really click for me until like a month after i got it) so  :lol

anyways me rn:
auriga - reflections of the magestic

this is better than i remember it being, the music's still a little bland but the atmosphere is pretty great really, still pales in comparison to alrakis though

Luoto

Yeah, the first track of The Apologist already gives me a nice clue of what the deal is with instrumental sections. Post-metal, but that's probably not the big picture at all.

Lowdz

Quote from: Prog Snob on February 13, 2016, 08:41:17 AM

I only bought that because of Yngwie. Bonnet's vocals are terrible. He's one of my least favorite singers.

There is a bonus tracks version with instrumental demos that's worth getting. Listening to it now.

Saraya - when the blackbird sings