Official food thread v. Jingle.star

Started by Nick, October 31, 2014, 12:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

El Barto

Should've waited for us to run out of dick jokes before starting a new thread.

Nick

King Postwhore

A sundae, girls can sink their teeth into.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Lucien

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

lonestar

So last night we did a food and wine event for charity, and at the booth next to me was a contestant from Season two of Top Chef, the spiky haired Jen. Very nice lady, and excellent food. Gonna hit up her restaurant later this week, and I'll have a full report.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

black_biff_stadler

lonestar

TioJorge

:lol :rollin  :o

Jesus fuck, I love the Japanese. The one on the left at the end...her face.  :lol OMNOMNOM

Following cause fatty.

orcus116

lonestar, outside of that awesome stew, which I'm making this year, do you have any good winter recipes?

jingle.boy

Quote from: orcus116 on December 03, 2014, 07:35:14 PM
lonestar, outside of that awesome stew, which I'm making this year, do you have any good winter recipes?

Oh yeah ... I'll be diggin that sucker up like I do every winter. Just wish there was a great bakery around here that I could find some sourdough buns/bowls.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Chino

My parents finally bought me something I've been asking for for ten years! They never wanted one of these in their house, and now that I have my own, they saw this as a fitting birthday gift. Makes two at a time!  :metal

Waffles for dayzzz

jingle.boy

We got one of those (not a double though) for jingle.daughter for Christmas last year - as she loves waffles.  Find a good recipe, and make 'em from scratch.  It's awesome.  She makes a batch on the weekend to last her the whole week.  It's her breakfast every morning.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Chino

Quote from: jingle.boy on December 04, 2014, 07:01:19 AM
We got one of those (not a double though) for jingle.daughter for Christmas last year - as she loves waffles.  Find a good recipe, and make 'em from scratch.  It's awesome.  She makes a batch on the weekend to last her the whole week.  It's her breakfast every morning.

I need a good recipe as the one on the Bisquick box is shit.

El Barto

I never got the appeal of waffles, honestly. With regards to your breakfast breadstuffs, I'd have to rank them last: waffles<biscuits<French toast<pancakes<biscuits+gravy.

Chino

Quote from: El Barto on December 04, 2014, 11:53:00 AM
I never got the appeal of waffles, honestly. With regards to your breakfast breadstuffs, I'd have to rank them last: waffles<biscuits<French toast<pancakes<biscuits+gravy.

Barto. I generally agree with you on everything and always look forward to reading your posts, but I have to respectfully tell you to shut the fuck up ( :heart). How can you possibly say that? The waffle is so versatile. You can put chocolate chips in them. Put ice cream on them with all kinds of fruits and syrups. You can make french toast waffles. You can put bacon egg and cheese between two waffles. They can be eaten with a utensils or with your bare hands. I'm flabbergasted right now, and slightly heartbroken.

El Barto

Quote from: Chino on December 04, 2014, 12:14:58 PM
Quote from: El Barto on December 04, 2014, 11:53:00 AM

Barto. I generally agree with you on everything and always look forward to reading your posts, but I have to respectfully tell you to shut the fuck up ( :heart). How can you possibly say that? The waffle is so versatile. You can put chocolate chips in them. Put ice cream on them with all kinds of fruits and syrups. You can make french toast waffles. You can put bacon egg and cheese between two waffles. They can be eaten with a utensils or with your bare hands. I'm flabbergasted right now, and slightly heartbroken.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the English muffin, which also kicks the living shit out of waffles.  :lol

All of the things you mention can be done with other items. The English muffin (or croissant) make far better breakfast sandwiches. Hell, given the inherent crunchiness of the waffle, so do pancakes and maybe even crappy-ass wheat toast. There's nothing you can put into waffles that you can't put into pancakes, including chocolate chips (if that's your bag).  You can put ice cream on French toast. I suppose my problem with waffles is twofold. For one thing they're a bit too crunchy. If you think about it, they're actually quite thin. All of the thickness is made of empty space. Pancakes are actually a bit thicker and ten times crunchier. The other problem is that waffles are hard to work with. They're impossible to butter unless you melt it down and pour it all over them, and the syrup just collects in pools. Not what I'm looking for. With the common pancake, which I consider the closest equivalent to the waffle, the syrup runs all over it whist being absorbed. That's how it should work. Same with French toast.

And as I'm typing this, I'll also include tortillas (both flour and corn) to the breakfast breadstuff pantheon. You mentioned using them as utensils, and tortillas work great in that regard. You can roll up all of your other breakfast stuff in flour tortillas, and corn tortillas are awesome with fried eggs. Great as a utensil and they taste great as they soak up the yolks. Probably not something that happens up there in Yankee-town, though.

Chino

black_biff_stadler

El Barto

Quote from: black_floyd on December 05, 2014, 08:46:11 AM
Quote from: El Barto on December 04, 2014, 01:22:45 PMPancakes are actually...ten times crunchier.

?
Damn. I meant fluffier.

I'm trying to think of some redeeming quality in waffles to win back Chino's favor. I'm not having much luck, though. I suppose if you come under attack during breakfast you might be able to throw one hard enough at your assailant to cause a brief moment of distraction with which to gain the advantage with more conventional weaponry. Honestly, though, the knife that you used to put butter into each of 36 little waffle holes would be a lot more helpful.

Chino

lonestar

Gotta side with Barto, waffles are overrated. Biscuits and Gravy is where it's at.

Lucien

For my breakfasts I usually just pour chocolate syrup over shredded wheat cereal

Chino

Quote from: lonestar on December 05, 2014, 01:16:38 PM
Gotta side with Barto, waffles are overrated. Biscuits and Gravy is where it's at.

Reported: personal attack

JayOctavarium

Quote from: Lucien on December 05, 2014, 01:23:17 PM
For my breakfasts I usually just pour chocolate syrup over shredded wheat cereal

'beetus

orcus116

So I'm going to make another Michael Bay sandwich soon since I completely pulled pork the other night. A quick recap, a Michael Bay is:

Pulled pork
Sliced beef - using prime rib leftovers from tomorrow's dinner
Bacon
Mac and cheese

For the mac and cheese it'll be my first attempt at doing baked mac and cheese but it looks super easy. I'm using this recipe and adding in 3 oz of gruyere to the sauce:
https://www.chow.com/recipes/30436-homerooms-classic-macaroni-and-cheese

I think I'm going with a brioche bun this time around as well. Will post pics.

black_biff_stadler

Phoenix87x

There's too many words and not enough pictures in this thread.

JayOctavarium

orcus116

Here are two progress photos from the pulled pork:

Used brown ale and liquid smoke for the liquid and I don't regret it for a second.

hefdaddy42

:tup

Oh, and to revive the breakfast discussion:

This, clearly.  Pancakes over waffles any day of the week, but biscuits & gravy rules them all.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Prog Snob

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 26, 2014, 01:23:33 AM
:tup

Oh, and to revive the breakfast discussion:

This, clearly.  Pancakes over waffles any day of the week, but biscuits & gravy rules them all.

I'm not a breakfast person save for the ultimate plate of bacon, but I always choose waffles over the alternatives (pancakes, french toast).