Work Related Gripes V The Wrath Of Jay..

Started by Kotowboy, February 15, 2015, 03:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Postwhore

Boss overbearing.   Reviews. Safety observations to put in. 2 interviews.   Add 4 hours of training plus my supervisor called our and my trainee had to full in put a lot of stress today.   

My normal backup got a promotion to my position to my position in Lewiston,  ME.  A feather in my cap, but a lot of moving pictures right now.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Stadler

Quote from: King Postwhore on February 28, 2024, 07:08:11 PM
Boss overbearing.   Reviews. Safety observations to put in. 2 interviews.   Add 4 hours of training plus my supervisor called our and my trainee had to full in put a lot of stress today.   

My normal backup got a promotion to my position to my position in Lewiston,  ME.  A feather in my cap, but a lot of moving pictures right now.

Grace under pressure, my friend.  Grace under pressure.

Awaken

Just finished week 1 of return to office . . . spent each day at my desk on calls.  The majority of each team I support are scattered around the globe.  There is no purpose for me being in an office. 

Zydar

Quote from: Stadler on February 29, 2024, 07:40:07 AM

I want to make a Rush reference, but I can learn to resist.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Zydar on March 01, 2024, 03:58:32 AM
Quote from: Stadler on February 29, 2024, 07:40:07 AM

Give it time.

And motion.

I want to make a Rush reference, but I can learn to resist.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Skeever

Been stressful for me as well, King.
Took a new job 3 months ago. I was so tired of my "iron rice bowl" style position in compliance, doing the same things every month. Took a job as a business analyst - data analytics is where I want to go, professionally - but 3 months in, I'm just not sure that I can hang.

It's a weird feeling. It's the job I want. I knew it was a stretch. The hiring manager knew that I was developmental. I am getting there, but not as fast as I need to to be effective. I'm putting in full days, spending some time in the evenings learning what I can, and just keeping my head down and trying to stay professional. I'm pretty sure that, within another 3 months, I'll have come through OK, or they'll have asked me to leave. We shall see. Changing jobs always carries risk. Shifting careers even moreso. I'm jut doing what I can and wherever the chips may fall I'll be better equipped to handle tomorrow as a result. 

wolfking

Quote from: Skeever on April 10, 2024, 04:58:42 PM
Been stressful for me as well, King.
Took a new job 3 months ago. I was so tired of my "iron rice bowl" style position in compliance, doing the same things every month. Took a job as a business analyst - data analytics is where I want to go, professionally - but 3 months in, I'm just not sure that I can hang.

It's a weird feeling. It's the job I want. I knew it was a stretch. The hiring manager knew that I was developmental. I am getting there, but not as fast as I need to to be effective. I'm putting in full days, spending some time in the evenings learning what I can, and just keeping my head down and trying to stay professional. I'm pretty sure that, within another 3 months, I'll have come through OK, or they'll have asked me to leave. We shall see. Changing jobs always carries risk. Shifting careers even moreso. I'm jut doing what I can and wherever the chips may fall I'll be better equipped to handle tomorrow as a result.

I hope the other issue you had has settled down mate.

Nevertheless good luck, keep working hard and you'll reap the rewards.

Skeever

Quote from: wolfking on April 10, 2024, 05:05:24 PM
I hope the other issue you had has settled down mate.

Nevertheless good luck, keep working hard and you'll reap the rewards.

I had to go a few pages back to remember what I shared here.
Yeah, that problem went away... I got a new job, lol  :lol

Now I'm so very far from being bored out of my mind. Actually I have the opposite problem. I guess I got what I wanted!

wolfking

Quote from: Skeever on April 10, 2024, 05:08:34 PM
I had to go a few pages back to remember what I shared here.
Yeah, that problem went away... I got a new job, lol  :lol

Now I'm so very far from being bored out of my mind. Actually I have the opposite problem. I guess I got what I wanted!

Oh wow really?!  I was meaning the guy mocking you in the meeting or whatever it was.  maybe that was mentioned in another thread.  Nevertheless glad it's all going okay.

ganpondorodf

I recently learned that no matter how long hours I put in, it will never be enough. Our department is chronically understaffed and it's never getting better. So I've made the decision to continue busting my ass for eight and a half hours a day, then splitting. It is not my fault that management can't figure out how to staff certain departments. It's been quite freeing to come to this realization

TheBarstoolWarrior

1. People want to figure out how they can get the most out of you while paying the least amount possible
2. Management lies about how much money 'we' are going to make when really they mean they.
3. Liars everywhere

Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I do not personally know any present or former members of DT. From time to time where the context is or should be obvious, I may decline to explicitly label my words as opinion. I cannot predict the future.

Jamesman42

Quote from: ganpondorodf on April 14, 2024, 04:26:34 AM
I recently learned that no matter how long hours I put in, it will never be enough. Our department is chronically understaffed and it's never getting better. So I've made the decision to continue busting my ass for eight and a half hours a day, then splitting. It is not my fault that management can't figure out how to staff certain departments. It's been quite freeing to come to this realization

Good for you! Sometimes it's worth it if your place of employment is not understaffed or if you have great leadership, or if it'll make your required work hours easier on you. Otherwise, do your best job and then go home and enjoy life.
\o\ lol /o/

ganpondorodf

Yeah it's unfortunate that management just wants to throw up their hands and yell "I guess nobody wants to work anymore!" rather than actually ask themselves the tough questions about why maybe people are just sick of being exploited for peanuts, but hey.

King Postwhore

As a manager,  I know the pandemic changed the view of workers and how they perceive everything.

So, I make it personal to ask how their weekend was, help when they feel stress, be there, be present. Also, be sympathetic and help through personal issues.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Skeever

Quote from: ganpondorodf on April 14, 2024, 04:26:34 AM
My gut feeling is... this isn't the 90s anymore, where symbolically falling on your sword will get you anywhere. Budgets are slim, and work has been so consolidated and streamlined over the decades that every employee is now a critical point of failure in some process or another. So, hanging with your business unit and making sure you are one of the last ones to go home even if you've been dicking around half the day isn't going to get you anywhere.  You have to know what it means to complete your job, what needs to be done by when, what things can be left for later, when you need to answer your manager's email (delivered to your personal device while your are sitting with your family at church) and when you don't. Forget about trying to conform to some ideal of what the workday should look like and set your own boundaries. And if that isn't cool with your boss - you'll find out, sooner or later!

lordxizor

I have sort of the opposite problem. My group's service offering is pretty new and we're growing. I Inherited a team from another service that was shut down. I don't have enough work for my team to do yet because we're getting started. So they help out elsewhere a lot. I have one team member who still manages to put in a few hours of overtime every week despite me telling the team that we need to careful about extra hours because we have no justification to put them in. Its not a huge deal if its an hour or two, but last week she put in 5 extra hours. There was absolutely no reason for her to do this. So now I have to have another conversation with her about it.

ganpondorodf

For a while there I was working essentially an entire extra day each week. I'm not a child, I don't need to be given a pat on the head and told "great job!", but when I'm getting criticised for not working hard enough* but ALSO for the amount of overtime I'm doing, by the people responsible for the ongoing shitshow, that's when I decide it's not worth trying to make this pricks happy. They will never be happy.

*I don't think this is admirable, but it's probably worth noting that I DO work very hard, I don't drag my ass at all. If I was pulling two hours of overtime a day but dicking around on my phone during the day, they might have a point. But I'm busy from the moment I clock in to the moment I leave.

cramx3

I'm using Rezi which is an AI resume builder.  Looks pretty good on my first try.  I just updated my linkedin for the first time in 10 years.  Checked "open to work" publicly.  I can linger at my job for a few more years most likely, but it's so stale and boring right now with no upside in sight.  Might as well put my feelers out and see if there's anything.  Eventually I'll likely actively apply to jobs, but just updating everything is a much required first step for me to start the process of leaving my job. 

ReaperKK

Are looking for job with the same type of work (correct me if I'm wrong but you're a network engineer right?)

cramx3

Quote from: ReaperKK on April 24, 2024, 05:15:42 AM
Are looking for job with the same type of work (correct me if I'm wrong but you're a network engineer right?)

Data Center tech, but my current role owns some of the network so not too far off from a novice network engineer.  I'm looking for a Data Center management position.

Skeever

Some very interesting things going on at work. I can't help but think that I am maybe reading too much into things, but anyway, here goes... I'll do my best to summarize.

1. Last December, it's announced that a brand new group of data analysts is being created, open call for positions around the company. I'm not really qualified, but I'm interested in the field and have a lot of the soft-skills, plus demonstrated capability with similar technical aspects of the work, so I apply anyway. I get the job!
2. We (me and all the new transfers) onboard in January. We have a brand new Director who seems to care a lot about us, and a mandate to deliver a certain work product (a monthly Operations report) by June.
3. We deliver. Not easily, but we get it done. We do this in April.
4. In June, it's announced that our new Director is leaving (!?) for another part of the company. In fact, he's known this for awhile, and suddenly his increasingly stand-offish behavior since January starts to seem suspicious.
5. In July, the Director's position is vacant all month. We're going through the motions, waiting for our new Leader to arrive.
6. This month, we're told (by facilities) that we're moving and we've got a week to vacate our cubes. We move quickly. Our (absent) Director's boss, a VP level person, apologizes to us in an email.
7. Just today, we find out (again, by email, and accidentally) that the name of our group, our monthly deliverable, and even our titles has changed. NO ONE has told us a thing. The same VP again apologizes that no one communicated this to us.

In sum, we (all of us new analysts, and even our line managers) feel like we've been abandoned on the Island of Misfit Toys. No one's talking to us, we have no Director, and we keep getting "forgotten" when it comes to small stuff. It all just adds up to a feeling of a culture where no one cares about you.

For the first time since I applied, I am thinking very seriously about my career and what I want to do next, again. I would be shocked if my company has done as it seems - formed a new group, and hired a bunch of people, only to decide 8 months down the line or so that they don't care about said group anymore, and are willing to let heads roll. Not something I would have thought could happen a few years ago, but in the new normal where companies are making decisions more quickly than ever, and career stays are getting shorter all the time, I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

ProfessorPeart

I'm in a weird deal at my job. The CIO decided that completely re-orging the whole department into Service Line and Foundation groups was a good idea. They are splitting groups up all over the place but literally have no idea how to exactly figure out how to split the work. They let several very good managers and directors go, including both of mine, and then posted almost double the amount of positions than those they let go. Others walked over this and then they did a surprise batch of layoffs 2 weeks ago. Oh, they are also going to be posting dozens of open positions soon.

They fired a coworker of mine several weeks back on very suspect terms which pissed off everyone in my group and many others. Today, a very important co-worker that was splitting off with me and my partner decided she doesn't want to deal with this and was very hurt by the firing of our coworker and announced her retirement today.

Then my interim and not even my current manager does one of her end of day fire drills and 5 of us end up working 3 hours over our normal day to deal with her fire drill. She's not even my manager anymore. Oh yeah, last week 3 of us got emails telling us about our new positions. We had no idea what this was even about. It was us being moved to another manager and director. No one gave us a heads up. Then a bunch of emergency meetings got called to apologize and introduce us to our new manager.

6 months months ago if you'd ask me how I was in my job, I would have told you I was the happiest I've ever been. This disaster has made me miserable. I liked our CIO. I thought he was great. This whole project of his is a major misstep that pretty much no one likes and even the managers and directors have no clue how to make this new arrangement work.

I could literally go on for days. Yeah. Just, yeah. I'm the Platform Admin for one of the biggest software platforms in our organization and this is how they are treating me. They all kiss my butt and tell me how great and knowledgeable I am, but pull this crap.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

wolfking

Skeever, I've been in a similar position mate and when information stops being transparent and things like what's happening to you begin to happen more and more, it's never really a good sign.  When you say, "I would be shocked if my company has done as it seems", don't be.  I too was naive in my thinking in a lot of ways.  You give your all and it seems like from your posts the last few months you put everything you have into your role, but don't expect the loyalty in return.

If I were you, I'd be open opened to absolutely anything that can be a possibility, maybe work more to rule and if things start getting more strange and you keep getting weird feelings, definitely think about your future, not the companies.  They think you're stupid, and culture shift is easily avoidable and nine times out of ten, there's reasons for it, mostly calculated.  Mistake I made was looking out and doing everything for the company, never for myself, and it kind of bit me in the ass.  I was blinded by what I thought the company valued or needed by me, but I was wrong.  They never gave a fuck, they just use you for as long as they can, then spit you out.

Sounds like the situation is turning into something that won't help you elevate your career anyway so definitely think about other options.  You're doing that anyway and posting it, so it seems you already know the way it could be heading. 

Skeever

Thanks Wolf.

I'm kind of doing as you recommend, yes of course my job but also just trying to use whatever time and benefits and networks to this place provides as wisely as possible, both to continue to hone my own skills and to continue to build my network for whatever the next step may be. It'd be so easy to just quiet quit, and the company almost encourage it by the way that they treat people, but that would only be doing myself a disservice whenever the other shoe does fall. Got to use the time here wisely to develop my own skills and relationships however I can because that is the stuff that pulls you through to the next job.

cramx3

Quote from: Skeever on August 13, 2024, 05:27:07 PMIn sum, we (all of us new analysts, and even our line managers) feel like we've been abandoned on the Island of Misfit Toys. No one's talking to us, we have no Director, and we keep getting "forgotten" when it comes to small stuff. It all just adds up to a feeling of a culture where no one cares about you.

I wouldn't steer towards it being a culture thing, at least not yet, but I'm in a similar boat to you, just different circumstances of how I arrived here.

I heard just yesterday some of the smartest engineers we have are leaving, this is after the management lay off earlier this year that lead to more of the people I work with leaving. 

It's now a weird position where no one from management has said anything to me or my one coworker lately.  I have no direction at all.  But I show up, 4 days of the week at least  :lol  (Fridays I've been working from home the entire summer) and do any requests that do come in. 

Obviously I should be looking.  I have updated my resume and I get some hits on linked in, but they so far have not come close to my pay and/or have been relocate jobs that's not likely to happen unless it's my only option. 

But the company also said they did so well this year (probably due to laying off or losing about 5-10% of the entire company) and I'm getting an unexpected bonus because of that.  I'm also expecting a raise, another stock grant, and a big stock payout at the end of the month. I pay nothing for medical insurance through work.  It's got great benefits. 

Basically, I can't see myself leaving if they keep throwing money at me and I don't even have to work hard anymore (and I used to work VERY hard for this job). The stock is huge too (and it's not options, flat out give me stock just for not leaving every quarter).

At some point though, something will break for me here. I just don't know when that point is, and I'm clearly in at riding it out until I hit that point.  I also am 100% OK with being laid off.  I'd probably get a decent package to go on vacation.  But, there's just no way they would get rid of me.  For as little as I do these days, someone's got to turn the light offs in this building if they do decide to shut it all down one day and that person would be me.

Stadler

I'm not being snarky, or passive aggressive or anything like that, it's a straightforward, honest question, because I don't see it directly addressed...

Several of you say that you have no idea what's coming around, and that some steps were a surprise.  Do any of you have weekly one-on-one's with your supervisor?  Do you ever ask what's down the pike?  In the wake of the changes, can you have that conversation? Are there other people - lawyers and finance, not in that order, are the best people to ask - you can have one-on-one's with to get intel?

I can't say I've NEVER been surprised before, that wouldn't be true, and I can't say I've never worked under uncertain conditions (doing that now, if I'm being honest) but usually there are some rumblings, some tea leaves to be read.  Better in a larger company, because more people around to talk out of school, but still. 

Again, no judgment, just asking what the environment is like.

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on August 14, 2024, 09:00:55 AMSeveral of you say that you have no idea what's coming around, and that some steps were a surprise.  Do any of you have weekly one-on-one's with your supervisor?  Do you ever ask what's down the pike?  In the wake of the changes, can you have that conversation? Are there other people - lawyers and finance, not in that order, are the best people to ask - you can have one-on-one's with to get intel?

Yeah, I can totally have a one on one with my boss.  The problem is, he's mentally checked out and has no real insight either.  I haven't had a meaningful conversation with him in a bit, he's literally not around either.  Part of that is his personal issues (health and family) too.  Although since the yearly promotional stuff is in the next two weeks, I expect to have a meaningful conversation very soon.

I've never met or spoken to my boss's new boss.  I could reach out, I honestly don't know what to say though beyond "what's going on?" and I dont think he has the answers according to what my boss tells me.  Now the guy above him I have had a one on one with.  He's... difficult.  Contradicts himself constantly.  I explicitly told him that I get no communication and he gave me no re-assuranes that would change.  This guy is a yes man brought in to do the chopping (IMO), which he did maybe too good of a job at.  He wouldn't tell me anything meaningful is my point.  But also, I'd be in a pretty awkward spot to jump over management to ask "whats going on?" Id feel so it's not really worth it.  For me, though, none of this is a surprise.  It's been a slow build up over the last two years of new ownership.

I understand my role here though.  Just do my job and I keep getting paid.  It's quite simple and I generally enjoy my job.  They don't really need to tell me anything. I can see the writing on the wall here and I'm making my choice to ride it out even if my manager has nothing to say to me.  In many ways, it's a great thing too.

wolfking

Quote from: Skeever on August 14, 2024, 05:07:11 AMThanks Wolf.

I'm kind of doing as you recommend, yes of course my job but also just trying to use whatever time and benefits and networks to this place provides as wisely as possible, both to continue to hone my own skills and to continue to build my network for whatever the next step may be. It'd be so easy to just quiet quit, and the company almost encourage it by the way that they treat people, but that would only be doing myself a disservice whenever the other shoe does fall. Got to use the time here wisely to develop my own skills and relationships however I can because that is the stuff that pulls you through to the next job.

Yeah mate, that's smart.  You know the situation.  Take your time and read everything, take advantage of what you can but always be prepared for the unexpected, that'll make you more savvy and ready for anything.  It certainly does sound like they are treating people into a corner and making them quit.  Seems the go these days instead of straight up letting people go.  Forcing people with tactics in making them move on keeps their noses clean and they still get what they want.

Actually, your tactic could be more beneficial as you are getting a sniff of what they potentially are trying to do.  Definitely use it to your advantage but change that mindset into as you say, how can that now benefit you as opposed to the company.  Good stuff, good luck.

wolfking

Quote from: Stadler on August 14, 2024, 09:00:55 AMI'm not being snarky, or passive aggressive or anything like that, it's a straightforward, honest question, because I don't see it directly addressed...

Several of you say that you have no idea what's coming around, and that some steps were a surprise.  Do any of you have weekly one-on-one's with your supervisor?  Do you ever ask what's down the pike?  In the wake of the changes, can you have that conversation? Are there other people - lawyers and finance, not in that order, are the best people to ask - you can have one-on-one's with to get intel?

I can't say I've NEVER been surprised before, that wouldn't be true, and I can't say I've never worked under uncertain conditions (doing that now, if I'm being honest) but usually there are some rumblings, some tea leaves to be read.  Better in a larger company, because more people around to talk out of school, but still. 

Again, no judgment, just asking what the environment is like.

My circumstance broke down when weekly catchups and Management meetings stopped and kept getting cancelled.  Standards were just slipping which feeds down the line.  I won't go into too much but another thing Skeever should keep in mind is when you ask too many questions about what's 'down the pike,' it can potentially cause more problems if you're too vocal.  My new boss that came in a little before my exit, we had a one on one and I read his language carefully.  Me being me, I straight up asked him, "Are you trying to get rid of me or telling me there won't be a job down the line?"  His face told the story and completely changed tact.  He then knew I was onto him and the rest is history.  Gotta keep your cards somewhat close to your chest and not step too far out of line or else it will bite you in the ass.

And before you say it, yes I was paranoid and my situation affected me, but everything I read and knew was going to happen did.  Companies I think are getting a bit arrogant in how they approach certain agendas they want to happen.

axeman90210

Well, I've been positively fuming about work for a couple days now. I'm one of three business line leads in the US, each of us manage pricing for a different set of clients. One of the other leads was tasked with building out a new team in our office this year to take over for a team elsewhere that committed a massive fuckup (think a 10 figure apology check to one of our clients). This was admittedly a massive ask with senior eyes on it. To help with the process, I had one of my analysts transfer to that new team permanently and agreed to have three of my high performers (my only AVP, a senior analyst who is the longest tenured member of the team, and an analyst who's been with us for about two years now) work with that team for a chunk of the day on loan until they could finish hiring, training, and taking on all of the work they need to start doing. For reference, my whole team is 8 people, so nearly half of my guys are involved. The result being that I'm forced to handle a bunch of work that I would normally delegate to them and I'm not able to accomplish a lot of what I would have liked to this year. I agreed to it though because I knew how important standing up this new team was to my wider group and, as my boss repeatedly reminded me, when my employees came back to my team full time towards the end of the year they'd be bringing some great new experience and knowledge with them from their time over there (which is true). Fast forward to Tuesday now. I see an email when I log in that our group has gotten assigned six new analysts as part of a two year extended internship program the bank has. Three analysts to the new team, two to the third lead, and one to my team. Then I got a call from my boss saying that they were thinking wouldn't it be great if my great analyst and senior analyst just stayed over there permanently and I got a couple more new joiners instead. It was two and a half days ago and I'm still mad enough to spit bullets. I presented that to the employees in question as an option if they so choose because I'd never actively deprive them of an opportunity if they'd rather be over there, but I'm feeling like I've been strung along and had my willingness to be a team player taken serious advantage of.

TAC

Quote from: axeman90210 on August 15, 2024, 05:37:31 PMbut I'm feeling like I've been strung along and had my willingness to be a team player taken serious advantage of.

Are you able to take pride in having your team members advance, or the fact that your management is comfortable enough with you to groom new team members or am I way off base?

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

axeman90210

Quote from: TAC on August 15, 2024, 07:04:59 PMAre you able to take pride in having your team members advance, or the fact that your management is comfortable enough with you to groom new team members or am I way off base?

I mean a little bit, sure. But I had finally built a good, veteran team that was able to operate somewhat autonomously and 2024 was supposed to be about me stepping back from overseeing the day-to-day to work on projects and initiatives that I could use to build a case for a promotion down the line. Instead, my team was gutted and I've spent the year knee-deep in things that I should've been able to pass off to my employees. The light at the end of the tunnel though was that I would eventually get most of them back and better than ever. Now that might not happen and instead, I'll get a couple of new people who we didn't get to interview and may or may not be a good fit for our team (our work is somewhat specialized) or our team may not be a good fit for them (we work slightly later hours than usual). If they were going to take this much from me permanently (which is already a bad outcome for me), they should have just done it all at the beginning of the year because that way I could have at least gotten to pull in a couple of the promising people we interviewed for full-time roles back in the spring. I'd still be out the same people, but I'd already have their replacements in the door and I'd be further down the road to building the team up again.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

Well, my boss hardly had a "one on one" with me for my yearly review.  But I got a great write up, a raise, more stock, and a bonus while having very little work to do. There's no update on my issues, just things are a mess, and upper management is struggling to get money to pay for anything to run this company which is nothing I can do about and a reason why my work has slowed down to a halt. It's best I'm shielded from all the bs, which I agree. I guess I'll keep doing my job because they still want to give me money and I've got great benefits here.  Future beyond the next year or two is obviously very questionable, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

axeman90210

Quote from: axeman90210 on August 15, 2024, 05:37:31 PMWell, I've been positively fuming about work for a couple days now. I'm one of three business line leads in the US, each of us manage pricing for a different set of clients. One of the other leads was tasked with building out a new team in our office this year to take over for a team elsewhere that committed a massive fuckup (think a 10 figure apology check to one of our clients). This was admittedly a massive ask with senior eyes on it. To help with the process, I had one of my analysts transfer to that new team permanently and agreed to have three of my high performers (my only AVP, a senior analyst who is the longest tenured member of the team, and an analyst who's been with us for about two years now) work with that team for a chunk of the day on loan until they could finish hiring, training, and taking on all of the work they need to start doing. For reference, my whole team is 8 people, so nearly half of my guys are involved. The result being that I'm forced to handle a bunch of work that I would normally delegate to them and I'm not able to accomplish a lot of what I would have liked to this year. I agreed to it though because I knew how important standing up this new team was to my wider group and, as my boss repeatedly reminded me, when my employees came back to my team full time towards the end of the year they'd be bringing some great new experience and knowledge with them from their time over there (which is true). Fast forward to Tuesday now. I see an email when I log in that our group has gotten assigned six new analysts as part of a two year extended internship program the bank has. Three analysts to the new team, two to the third lead, and one to my team. Then I got a call from my boss saying that they were thinking wouldn't it be great if my great analyst and senior analyst just stayed over there permanently and I got a couple more new joiners instead. It was two and a half days ago and I'm still mad enough to spit bullets. I presented that to the employees in question as an option if they so choose because I'd never actively deprive them of an opportunity if they'd rather be over there, but I'm feeling like I've been strung along and had my willingness to be a team player taken serious advantage of.

Still second guessing myself and then second-guessing my second-guessing. Both of my two employees in question elected to move over to the other team, and I don't blame them one bit. There's a lot more opportunity to create and do interesting project work over there, whereas my team has a lot more established processes and it's more about getting deliverables out the door every night. Not to mention that the new team is *all* that management cares about these days in our department (to the point that I told my boss in my mid year review that it all feels like the happy kid/drowning kid meme :lol). All that said, I'm really struggling with whether this is something I should have pushed back as something I wasn't interested in doing. It was presented to me as a choice I had, but it's an ask coming from my current boss and an ascendant senior VP on the team who is a colleague now but could well end up my next boss. And it's an ask where there's no real upside for me, they couldn't have thought I'd be in any way happy or enthusiastic about this. All that makes me feel like they were "asking" to be polite and I'm better off having gotten on board willingly. Or did I just mark myself as the kid who can be bullied for his lunch money in the cafeteria.