News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

The Kingcrow Thread

Started by lonestar, May 14, 2015, 08:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonestar

Any fans? In Crescendo is one of my favorite albums of recent years, and they just released the video for The Moth off the upcoming Eidos album today....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Giy35m410

Killer sound, killer vibe, very very excited for this one....

LordCost

I saw them live at the prog festival of Veruno with Spock's Beard, Leprous, Pfm... I really like the titletrack of In Crescendo but I don't know much about the rest of their discography, the other songs didn't impress me at the first listen like that track. Which are the best songs for you?

lonestar

I have yet to dig into their back discog, but the whole album is a winner for me, especially Right Before, The Hatch, and the title track.

LordCost

QuestForFire

First single/video   "The Moth"of the upcoming album "Eidos" out now!  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Giy35m410

lonestar

jingle.boy

Looking forward to giving this one a spin.  Re-played In Crescendo recently, and it clicked a lot more than when I initially took it in.
Quote from: Jamesman42 on September 20, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

senecadawg2

Thanks for sharing your review, lonestar. I've never heard them before, despite seeing the name tossed around a couple times before. The new track sounds really nice and I look forward to giving the full album at least one try. I'll also check out their previous album when I get the chance

QuestForFire

Found there's a second single from "Eidos" out  and it's a fantastic song!   :tup
https://soundcloud.com/ken-golden-1/08-kingcrow-at-the-same-pace-1#t=0:00

lonestar

QuestForFire

This album is mindblowing. Sounds like Kingcrow just released their masterpiece

jingle.boy

Yeah, I agree with RJ's assertion that this is definitely AOTY material.
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on September 20, 2024, 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Nick

I had my first two listens last night after I got the album. I really enjoyed those listens, but I'm not quite of the same mindblown opinion yet as you two. Lots of time for that to change yet though.

TAC

I'll check them out. I've never heard them.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

jingle.boy

This album is 3rd in a series of 3 concept albums, all loosely linked together.  In Crescendo was great, but I'm having a devil of a time finding the first - Phlegethon.  Amazon is listing it for $50 minimum.

lonestar

Evermind

I didn't really like the song RJ sent me in my roulette (The Hatch, was it?), but I'll check out this new album for sure.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

TAC

I just checked out 3 songs from the new album. I'm iffy on it. Seems like quality music though.
On The Barren Ground rocks pretty good.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

senecadawg2

I enjoy the album. Not sure if Im as awed yet as jingle/lonestar, but I'll give it a few more tries as time goes on.

Dr. DTVT

No offense Lonestar, but nothing stands out on this album.  I don't remember anything from it after I listen.  It's not bad, just extremely average.  Not sure it's even worth the $6 I paid for it on amazon.

lonestar

Quote from: Dr. DTVT on June 27, 2015, 07:47:53 PM
No offense Lonestar, but nothing stands out on this album.  I don't remember anything from it after I listen.  It's not bad, just extremely average.  Not sure it's even worth the $6 I paid for it on amazon.

HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE!!!!!!!!!

:footloose:

Dr. DTVT

I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to your "AotY" level hype.  It's fairly vanilla, standard fare that blends in with several hundred other similar albums.

lonestar

Just gave it another full spin, and we're gonna have to agree to disagree for sure. Still holds up brilliantly for me as a moving and dynamic work that doesn't have a tired moment in it, one that will see playtime from me for quite some time.

bl5150

I haven't caught the new one yet but am listening to Phlegethon now .  I have a lot of trouble with most prog rock , including Rush (although that may be largely due to my dislike for Geddy's voice)....most of it misses that bullseye that Images and Words gives me where every big of "proginess" feels like it has a purpose and is either nice and melodic or doesn't linger long enough to lose my attention before injecting some cool melody.

Kingcrow (what I have heard) come as close as any of the modern day bands in meeting the brief - a touch of metal doesn't hurt either. Although it has its ups and downs I really haven't been tempted to use the Skip button at all....very rare for me with prog, so nicely balanced.  :tup   I will look forward to checking out the new one soon.

jingle.boy

Fire that sucker up on Bandcamp Brent.  You won't regret it.

QuestForFire

Quote from: Dr. DTVT on June 28, 2015, 11:47:46 AM
I just wanted to offer a counterpoint to your "AotY" level hype.  It's fairly vanilla, standard fare that blends in with several hundred other similar albums.
Weird, I find it to be quite personal and a stand out record in this kind of atmospheric and emotional prog. Plus they are italians like me so I'm quite proud of this band  :tup

ariich

Gave the new album a listen today, based on your review RJ. Solid album. Didn't strike me as hugely distinctive, but they seem to be very good at what they do. Will give it further listens!

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Samsara

Big fan. Will be picking up the record. But not listening to the track. Want to be surprised.

Nick

YtseJammer666

YtseJammer666

The new album is very good, already a contender for my top 10 in 2018.  :hefdaddy

Samsara

Quote from: pfillion on September 07, 2018, 11:51:40 AM
The new album is very good, already a contender for my top 10 in 2018.  :hefdaddy

That's really cool to hear. My copy says it will arrive Tuesday. Sucks. Was hoping it would get here today. But a few more days isn't so bad.

QuestForFire

Well I ended up buying the new record "The Persistence" on bandcamp and what a record it is!!! My album of the year hands down. The track "Night's Descending" with Daniel Gildenlow guesting on vocals moves me like very few other songs do.