Bands you feel you are the only fan of on this forum

Started by Gwii, August 10, 2009, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polarbear

Quote from: Stadler on February 11, 2016, 08:30:17 AM
Blackmore's Night

I would want see them live, but they never tour in my country...

I don't know if anyone here knows a band called Ume? Awesome rock trio, with a female vocalist.

Big Hath

Quote from: splent on February 12, 2016, 10:21:51 AM
Quote from: Big Hath on February 11, 2016, 08:54:19 PM
Quote from: Counselor of Prog on February 11, 2016, 05:18:33 AM
Lessee. Here goes...

Barren Cross
DC Talk
Degarmo & Key
Demon Hunter
Geoff Moore
Guardian
Holy Soldier
Idle Cure
The Imperials
Jars of Clay
John Elefante
Keith Green
Larry Norman
Margaret Becker
Mastedon
Michael W. Smith
Mylon Lefevre & Broken Heart
Needtobreathe
Petra
PFR
Rich Mullins
Steve Taylor
Theocracy

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all these, but I at least have some or all of their stuff.  Theocracy has a decent following here.

no Burlap to Cashmere, Steven Curtis Chapman, Bride, Tourniquet, Third Day, Newsboys, Whitecross, White Heart, Halo, etc?

Yeah classic CCM. Was my main middle school listening. Steve Taylor's music is vastly underrated.

how about Truth?

FlyingBIZKIT

Quote from: Parama on February 12, 2016, 10:19:17 AM
Quote from: Train of Naught on February 12, 2016, 09:51:33 AM
I thought those opening Apologist tracks were pretty great, I honestly haven't paid any attention to the roulette albums recently, but I should.
honestly at this point i wouldn't say any of those are in my top 3 for the album, either, but then again when i sent the combo of 2 of my top 3, i got the lowest score of any round in the roulette championships, so  :lol

I go back and listen to these, and they are good. I need to listen to it more

wizard of Thought

Marmozets. Great British Hardcore/Mathcore band with female vocalist. The Weird and Wonderful is definitely among my top 10 albums I`ve ever listened to and I`m stoked to see that they will be releasing their next album this year.

Adami

Clandestine. Sadly I think they broke up, but they were a cool prog-rock/metal female fronted band with some pop tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5o_l8bOEM

That song is more straight forward but has some prog elements around the 3 minute mark.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Stadler

Our Lady Peace.  "Starseed" is still one of my favorite songs to this day.   LOVE that song.

King Postwhore

Quote from: Stadler on February 15, 2016, 06:03:03 AM
Our Lady Peace.  "Starseed" is still one of my favorite songs to this day.   LOVE that song.

That's an ass kicking song.  I own all their albums and saw them twice.  One was for a local radio in Boston (WBCN) and they played on a boat in the middle of the harbor at a mall.  No joke.  To this day they say that was the weirdest place. they ever played.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

splent

Basia. Polish singer who sings smooth jazz. And I love her music.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Polarbear on February 12, 2016, 10:27:21 AM
Blackmore's Night

Unless you live near a castle in Europe, you're probably out of luck.

Stadler

Quote from: kingshmegland on February 15, 2016, 06:09:59 AM

That's an ass kicking song.  I own all their albums and saw them twice.  One was for a local radio in Boston (WBCN) and they played on a boat in the middle of the harbor at a mall.  No joke.  To this day they say that was the weirdest place. they ever played.

Dude, where are you??  I'm in Connecticut (north of Hartford) and I used to listen to John Osterlind on WCCC; he moved to WAAF in Boston, and he would have them in ALL the time, and they'd do little acoustic things in the studio.   I actually heard that (this is around the time of Clumsy) first, so "Starseed" was something of a shock, because it rocked harder than, say, Superman's Dead or 4AM (LOVE that song).   

I've found it harder to get into some of their more recent stuff - not that it's bad, it's just a little... generic - but those first couple albums... whoa. 

Prog Snob

Quote from: BlobVanDam on February 15, 2016, 06:42:34 AM
Quote from: Polarbear on February 12, 2016, 10:27:21 AM
Blackmore's Night

Unless you live near a castle in Europe, you're probably out of luck.

I'd consider myself lucky for that one.   :lol

King Postwhore

Quote from: Stadler on February 15, 2016, 07:13:51 AM
Quote from: kingshmegland on February 15, 2016, 06:09:59 AM

Dude, where are you??  I'm in Connecticut (north of Hartford) and I used to listen to John Osterlind on WCCC; he moved to WAAF in Boston, and he would have them in ALL the time, and they'd do little acoustic things in the studio.   I actually heard that (this is around the time of Clumsy) first, so "Starseed" was something of a shock, because it rocked harder than, say, Superman's Dead or 4AM (LOVE that song).   

I've found it harder to get into some of their more recent stuff - not that it's bad, it's just a little... generic - but those first couple albums... whoa.

I live in Raymond NH.  I'm 20 minutes east of Manchester NH.  I'm meeting up with jingle.boy in March in Cambridge.  Yeah, the newer stuff is good not great but still listenable.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

kaos2900

Zac Brown Band. I don't like the vast majority of country music and I don't even really consider Zac Brown country, but I love their music. The band is super talented and very tight live. So many great songs and Zac is an underrated guitar player. He's also an underrated song writer.

Basekick

VOLA.  Didn't hear about them until December of last year and they've blown my mind.

Even did an appreciation thread here that no one has responded to...so I'm convinced I'm the only fan here  :D

Train of Naught

Quote from: Basekick on February 16, 2016, 06:48:39 AM
VOLA.  Didn't hear about them until December of last year and they've blown my mind.

Even did an appreciation thread here that no one has responded to...so I'm convinced I'm the only fan here  :D
Inmazes is great, there's just not a lot to compare them to. I liked it but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

May or may not have seen the thread but everyone talks about them on every prog metal related forum so I didn't think there was much else to be said.

home

Any Fair to Midland Fans here?  :azn: I don't see them mentioned here very often. Darroh might be my favourite singer and lyrics writer.

Mladen

Quote from: Basekick on February 16, 2016, 06:48:39 AM
I thought Inmazes was very good.  :tup

pantsofeternity

Anguyen92

Quote from: kaos2900 on February 16, 2016, 05:29:08 AM
Zac Brown Band. I don't like the vast majority of country music and I don't even really consider Zac Brown country, but I love their music. The band is super talented and very tight live. So many great songs and Zac is an underrated guitar player. He's also an underrated song writer.

I concur.  Enjoyed their latest album.  Loved Day That I Died.

Sacul

I'm big on Blue Sky Black Death, Saltillo, DJ Shadow, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, and Burial. Any fans here? :P

T-ski

Quote from: home on February 16, 2016, 12:49:39 PM
Any Fair to Midland Fans here?  :azn: I don't see them mentioned here very often. Darroh might be my favourite singer and lyrics writer.

yes, and I'm sure more are sprinkled throughout.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: Sacul on February 16, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
I'm big on Blue Sky Black Death, Saltillo, DJ Shadow, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, and Burial. Any fans here? :P

Love all of them.

Sacul

:heart :heart :heart

I'd love another Burial album at this point. He has made some excellent EPs, but I think it's time for another record.

Bolsters

Quote from: pantsofeternity on February 16, 2016, 02:30:21 PM
Taylor Swift.  Love her songwriting.
There's a couple of fans here actually. ;)

Quote from: Sacul on February 16, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
I'm not a big fan of Shpongle, but I don't mind them.
Bolsters™

bl5150

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: Sacul on February 16, 2016, 03:34:41 PM
:heart :heart :heart

I'd love another Burial album at this point. He has made some excellent EPs, but I think it's time for another record.
Oh man his EPs have been so good. I love the long, fleshed out approach he's been taking with the songs and when he makes another record I'm hoping he carries over that style to it. Although the shorter style of Untrue and the s/t is still great of course.

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: T-ski on February 16, 2016, 03:06:19 PM

I saw Fair to Midland 12 times live from 2007 to 2011.

home

Quote from: SoundscapeMN on February 17, 2016, 04:34:05 AM

:omg:  :omg: I am really really jealous

SoundscapeMN

Quote from: home on February 17, 2016, 05:53:56 AM
Quote from: SoundscapeMN on February 17, 2016, 04:34:05 AM

:omg:  :omg: I am really really jealous

I was lucky they came to Minnesota so many times during those years. It probably helped that Texas and Minnesota work well from a geographic standpoint, being mostly straight North/South. And the local Corporate Hard Rock/Metal station in Minnesota had a DJ who played them frequently, which helped them build a loyal fan base in Minnesota.

But it just goes back to feeling fortunate to see some bands live while they are still around, because it may not last forever.

But they also went into debt, which was maybe the biggest reason for their ending/hiatus. It's a shame, as they seemed to have some momentum with Mayfly, and then they lost a lot of support and their follow-up took forever to come out. That itself was maybe a sign of things to come.

Sacul

Sir GuitarCozmo

Quote from: Big Hath on February 11, 2016, 08:54:19 PM
Quote from: Counselor of Prog on February 11, 2016, 05:18:33 AM
Lessee. Here goes...

Barren Cross
DC Talk
Degarmo & Key
Demon Hunter
Geoff Moore
Guardian
Holy Soldier
Idle Cure
The Imperials
Jars of Clay
John Elefante
Keith Green
Larry Norman
Margaret Becker
Mastedon
Michael W. Smith
Mylon Lefevre & Broken Heart
Needtobreathe
Petra
PFR
Rich Mullins
Steve Taylor
Theocracy

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of all these, but I at least have some or all of their stuff.  Theocracy has a decent following here.

no Burlap to Cashmere, Steven Curtis Chapman, Bride, Tourniquet, Third Day, Newsboys, Whitecross, White Heart, Halo, etc?

Rex Carroll's "Eternal Fire" solo on "In the Kingdom" was pretty cool.

Also, you forgot Deliverance.

bl5150

I have an album by Deliverance (Weapons of Our Warfare) -  all I remember is praying for it to stop.   Awful.

Sir GuitarCozmo

Prog Snob

Is it a nugget that their third album is called What A Joke?