News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

The "let me blow your mind" thread

Started by rumborak, June 05, 2015, 03:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumborak

Post stuff you think people don't know.

My start: At no point in history was "ye" pronounced the way people pronounce it these days. Even when the "ye" spelling was still used, people pronounced it as "the". Reason being, the word had two spellings back in the day, the modern "the" but also "þe" (the letter "þ" coming from runic). In blackletter (i.e. Gothic) script the shape of the letter looked a lot like a "y", and when book printing came around, lacking the þ letter, typesetters just used the "y" letter as the closest one.

Kotowboy

Yes that was on QI and I forgot the name of the letter. An Acorn or something...?

At no point in history did anyone ever think the Earth was flat.

EDIT : It's called a Thorn :)

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

jasc15

Helium was discovered on the sun before it was discovered on earth.

rumborak

Quote from: jasc15 on June 05, 2015, 03:57:26 PM

Ooh, nice one.
I'm assuming "discovered" means through spectroscopy :)

Both nickel and cobalt are named after Germanic mythical creatures. When people dug for silver, they blamed those creatures for putting the much less valuable, but similarly shiny, metals into the ground.

El Barto

The space shuttle Challenger never exploded. Separation of the port side SRB caused the entire stack to veer off axis of its direction of travel. At the speed it was travelling it disintegrated mighty fast as a result, thus making it essentially the same as the Columbia breakup years later. The fireball was simply the LOX/LH2 burning off after the tank ruptured.

Sacul

jasc15

Quote from: El Barto on June 05, 2015, 04:14:54 PM
The space shuttle Challenger never exploded.
It's also very likely that some of the crew survived all the way down to the ocean, though possibly unconscious.  Some of the supplemental breathing devices were activated when the wreckage was recovered.

As enamored as I am with human spaceflight, the more I read about challenger, the less I think we are really capable of managing an organization to do it properly.

jammindude

When this shows up as the most recent thread posted in the General discussion thread from the main page....all it says is, The "Let me blow you...."

Big Hath

probably generates more traffic that way

sneakyblueberry

pound for pound, there is more sugar in a lemon than in a strawberry

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

The word "forte" - as in "my forte is providing useless information to otherwise relevant and entertaining threads" - was originally pronounced "fort", with one syllable.  It's from the French word for "strength".  Only later, when it likely got confused with the Italian word "forte" ("loudness", pronounced "for-tay", with two syllables) did people start using the alternative.   Both are standard now, but it's interesting how often I get corrected when I use the original.

eric42434224

Beavers have clear eyelids.  They act like goggles and allow them to see underwater when swimming.

gmillerdrake

Robert Louis Stevenson wrote the 60,000-words-long "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" during a six-day cocaine high.

lonestar

The Chilean sea bass is not a bass, but a cod.

bout to crash

I have nothing to contribute right now, but keep em' coming...

(also I'm posting so I can see the "let me blow you")

Evermind

Quote from: eric42434224 on June 06, 2015, 08:22:22 AM
Beavers have clear eyelids.  They act like goggles and allow them to see underwater when swimming.

Actually, don't some birds like hawks have almost-clear eyelids too? It allows them to see clearly and protect their eyes from damage when they're hunting some small-sized prey like mice or hares in the forests and all that.

I could be dead wrong on that though. :lol
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Evermind

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Nice to know how it's actually called. :angel:
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Chino

The guy who invented the Pringles can has his ashes stored in one.

lonestar

Tsutoma Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima for work when the first A-bomb hit. He managed to make it home afterwards to Nagasaki just in time for the second. He lived to be 93.

Edit: One more, I'm just googling shit at this point, and coming up with some cool stuff, like....

The Arkansas school for the deaf's mascot is the Leopards.... The Deaf Leopards....

TempusVox

Okay...Termites eat wood twice as fast when listening to METAL!!!  :metal

But Ants work better as a unit when listening to Classical music.

It's all about the frequency and how it effects chemical signatures in their tiny nervous systems.

bosk1

Quote from: rumborak on June 05, 2015, 04:13:57 PM

Ooh, nice one.

Nope.  Field trip.

rumborak

* Puts on "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" *

Chino

Quote from: bosk1 on June 12, 2015, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: rumborak on June 05, 2015, 04:13:57 PM

Ooh, nice one.

Nope.  Field trip.

Lead by Ms. Frizzle

gmillerdrake

The English invented football (soccer in America) when kicking around the heads of slaughtered Danish invaders.

rumborak

Quote from: gmillerdrake on June 12, 2015, 01:42:15 PM
The English invented football (soccer in America) when kicking around the heads of slaughtered Danish invaders.

The sport of dodgeball was invented in the 15th century by opium-addicted Chinamen.

Orbert

You guys are just makin' stuff up now.

rumborak

Kotowboy

It's physically impossible to lick your own brain.

bosk1

Quote from: Kotowboy on June 12, 2015, 03:22:42 PM

I'm going to try anyway.  Let's see...almost th-hjnl;akdjghaklg;dfklr;kladlikaf;di;iokla;oia;oiahr;oi

Phantasmatron

Quote from: Kotowboy on June 12, 2015, 03:22:42 PM

So I can't blow my own mind?  I have to rely on this thread?

JayOctavarium

racecar spelled backwards is racecar

:neverusethis: