News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Still "a thing" since 2007.

Main Menu

New to the site.

Started by Peter, August 28, 2015, 09:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Hey guys!

My name is Peter, and I am currently at the age of 13. I have been listening to Dream Theater for at least 3 or 4 years now, but joined the forums about 2 days ago. I am a die hard Dream Theater fan, and listen to their music every day, but occasionally listen to Iron Maiden and Queen, however Dream Theater is my all time favorite band. I saw Dream Theater in concert 1 year ago, and Iron Maiden as well over 2 years ago. But yeah, that pretty much wraps it up for me. As I am new to this forum, I am still not familiar with how things work, so if you guys have any tips, I would be very appreciative for them! Also, to get to know you guys better, I have a few questions.

- What other bans do you like other than Dream Theater?
- How long have you been a fan of Dream Theater?

But yeah, I'll be pretty active on this forum, as it seems very fun with an amazing community with great reads. Thanks for reading!  :metal

KevShmev

Welcome to the forum!

I've been listening to the band since late 1992/early 1993.

Other favorite bands include Rush (my favorite), Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (my number 2), Pink Floyd, Devin Townsend, The Flower Kings, Muse, The Beatles, Yes, Genesis, Queen, Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Radiohead, Kansas, Camel, U2, Death Cab, Transatlantic, Opeth, The Decemberists, Blue Oyster Cult, Zeppelin, etc. Too many great bands to list them all. :hat

Peter

Wow, that's a long time, haha! I've listened to Opeth too, not a bad band at all. I grew up loving U2. How about Queensryche?

KevShmev

Queensryche is part of my "etc." :lol :lol  Great band from the mid 80s through Promised Land.

Peter

Oh hahaha. :lol Yeah, a great band indeed!

gmillerdrake

Welcome Peter. Same as Kev, I've been listening to DT since 92'/93'. Other than DT I like Neal Morse, Circus Maximus, Syphony X, Animals as Leaders, Rush....pretty much anything progressive rock.

Have fun in the forum!

Welcome to DTF! I'm sure you'll love it here. This is a fantastic place for music discovery in addition to Dream Theater discussion. If you're looking for discussion of bands you like or looking for ideas of other bands to get into, check out the General Music Discussion forum here. Fair warning: most people who go in there come out with bigger music collections and thinner wallets.

Personally, though my home genre is still progressive rock, I listen to a variety of music, including prog but also including metal, alternative/indie rock, pop, dabbling in electronic and some others. My top three favorite bands are Dream Theater, Nightwish and Coldplay, and some of my other favorite artists are Iron Maiden, Haken, Anathema, Death Cab for Cutie, and Taylor Swift.

hefdaddy42

Who is Dream Theater?

Welcome, Peter!
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

mike099

Welcome Peter!  I accidently found DT on a music video channel.  After the video of OTBOA, I was hooked.

As far as other bands, give Redemption a listen.  Snowfall on Judgement Day is a classic.

bl5150

Hi Peter - it always makes me feel good to see today's teenagers getting into bands like DT and Queensryche.  Good stuff  :tup

I've been a big fan since Images and Words in 1992.

jingle.boy

Quote from: bl5150 on August 29, 2015, 06:26:49 AM
Hi Peter - it always makes me feel good to see today's teenagers getting into bands like DT and Queensryche.  Good stuff  :tup

Fo shizzle.  I started listening to DT in late '96, and haven't stopped.  My 2nd favorite band of all-time.

Welcome Peter.  There's no shortage of band recommendations to get from the members here at this forum.  Kev, shame on you for not mentioning Symphony-X, especially with a new release!

Enjoy your time here Peter.  We're a pretty cool bunch - for the most part
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

senecadawg2

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 29, 2015, 08:05:07 AM
Enjoy your time here Peter.  We're a pretty cool bunch - for the most part

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Welcome, Peter! I don't listen to DT nearly as much as I used to (as I would have been when I was about your age), but I've been a fan for almost 10 years now. As far as other bands go, I'd be more likely to recommend bands that aren't that similar to DT. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Anathema, Riverside, Leprous, Opeth, and on and on. Some similarities, in their tendency to experiment and push the envelope a bit, but not really that similar to DT.

TempusVox

Welcome to the community Peter.

lonestar

Sup Peter!!! When you go looking for new bands, careful what you wish for, this forum has emptied a good number of wallets when it comes to new music.

King Postwhore

Welcome!!  So glad to see our youth with such great taste in music. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

MoraWintersoul

Hey Peter! My advice to you is to just spend a few days just reading the forums first. Otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming to try contribute to the discussions when you don't have a sense of what came before them. This is the best music forum in the world though, with the most respectful, knowledgeable and thought-provoking peeps, and I'm not saying this just because I like it :lol

black_biff_stadler

bosk wouldn't honor my coupons on double coupon day. May this place burn in hell.

The Dark Master

Hi, Peter, and welcome to DTF.  Just to emphasize what others have already said, it's great to see someone so young getting into Dream Theater and Queensryche.  Anyway to answer your questions:

- My top three bands are Dream Theater, Symphony X and Savatage.  Some other favourites of mine include Epica, Kamelot, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Jon Oliva's Pain, Therion, WASP, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Blue Oyster Cult, Crimson Glory, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Alice Cooper, anything with Ronnie James Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Rhapsody (of Fire/ Luca Turilli's Rhapsody), Stratovarius, Edguy, Avantasia, anything by Arjen Anthony Lucassen, Warlock/Doro, Accept, Helloween, Gamma Ray. Balance of Power, Metallica, Megadeth, Deep Purple, AC/DC and many others

- I got into Dream Theater around 1998/99 when I first heard Once in a LIVEtime, and I have been a rabid fan ever since.

cramx3

Quote from: black_floyd on August 29, 2015, 03:19:02 PM
bosk wouldn't honor my coupons on double coupon day. May this place burn in hell.

expired coupons dont count

Welcome to the forum, it is awesome to see youth into this kind of music  :metal

black_biff_stadler

They were European coupons in DD/MM/YYYY format. They were still valid.

TioJorge

Welcome dudebro! Neato-bo-beedo.

I don't listen to DT much anymore, but I got into them around the early 2000's and listened to them nonstop till a few years ago when my musical preferences started transforming. I definitely still like them but I'm just not so much into straight-up Prog as I used to be.

Right now my favorite bands are Periphery, Between The Buried and Me (as well as Thomas Giles' solo records), AFI, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Devin Townsend, Steven Wilson, Childish Gambino, Gorillaz (or anything by Damon Albarn, his new solo record is the shiznit), Toro Y Moi, Metronomy. That's off the top of my head and bands I actively listen to. There's so many others.  :lol

Anyway, stick around! The place is awesome and there's no where else like it on the internet. Truly. Stay out of the drunk thread!!

Anguyen92

Welcome man, I think you are going to like it here.

I've been a fan of DT for a little over two years now.  I mean I heard about them prior to that, but it was not until two years ago until they really got my attention.  When JP and JLB was doing their promotional stuff at England for the Dream Theater self-titled album, they met up with my favorite guitarists, Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge (my favorite band of all time) when they were doing their promotional stuff for their Fortress album (a tremendous album), got to see some pictures and interviews and stuff like that of those guys together and it so happened that the rock news site, Loudwire, was doing their cage match and they pit the two band's main singles against each other (DT won that one).

Decided to stroll around here, want to see the vibe of the forums, and I love it and thus I stick around here since then, especially for the Music Discussion section.  Stick around, we got some good discussions about anything here.

Peter

Thank you all for all the warm welcomes! I will try to look into all of your guys' suggested bands!  ;D

wolfking

Welcome bro.  Too many bands to mention on my radar but have been into DT since around 2000.