News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)

Started by bosk1, November 06, 2015, 12:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IdoSC

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 27, 2016, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: IdoSC on January 27, 2016, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: emtee on January 27, 2016, 11:08:11 AM
Mega apologies. Just trying to do what I thought was the right thing by letting this team know.
This is not an official DT site anyways, there's no "team" here.
We are technically not official, but there is certainly a team here, and our team has DT's team on speed dial.  We are as connected to them as could possibly be, both to their management and to members of the band.
Ah, sorry, I meant to say there's not a team of RR copyright ninjas who read the comments here, follow the links for the leaks and strike down the uploads with legal firearm. Of course there's a team here in the sense that you guys are running and managing this forum (and thank you for that), but this is not an official representation of RoadRunner, and your tools essentially boil down to the same tools that specific user to whom I replied has - reporting links back to RR.

(Even though you have them on speed dial :P )

mike099

Quote from: bosk1 on January 27, 2016, 12:11:19 PM
Yes, but you live in the South.  Where people still use Confederate money.

Maybe that is why DT will not play the south again.  They got paid in confederate money.

All kidding aside, I expect they will make it down south again especially after hearing the tail end of  J Labrie's interview.

rab7

Quote from: mike099 on January 27, 2016, 12:25:47 PM

Maybe that is why DT will not play the south again.  They got paid in confederate money.

All kidding aside, I expect they will make it down south again especially after hearing the tail end of  J Labrie's interview.

What did he say?

vtgrad

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 27, 2016, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: IdoSC on January 27, 2016, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: emtee on January 27, 2016, 11:08:11 AM
Mega apologies. Just trying to do what I thought was the right thing by letting this team know.
This is not an official DT site anyways, there's no "team" here.
We are technically not official, but there is certainly a team here, and our team has DT's team on speed dial.  We are as connected to them as could possibly be, both to their management and to members of the band.

This right here, is why I think this place is so unique (other than a group of very unique people that have come together because of this band). 

And I hope they make it down South again as well; as much as I like to travel to NYC and DC, another show in Asheville or Charlotte would be easier on the old wallet.

Hanz Gruber

Are we allowed to discuss individual tracks?  Mentioned one yesterday without providing a link or where I heard it and mentioned what it reminded me of and I think my post was deleted.  Just want to make sure.  I don;t want to break any rules

IdoSC

Quote from: Hanz Gruber on January 27, 2016, 12:33:27 PM
Are we allowed to discuss individual tracks?  Mentioned one yesterday without providing a link or where I heard it and mentioned what it reminded me of and I think my post was deleted.  Just want to make sure.  I don;t want to break any rules
This is a no-spoiler thread, there is another thread where the title clearly states that you're allowed to write spoilers in it, but that one is intended for people who heard the album legitimately from RoadRunner :)

bosk1

No, this is NOT a "no-spoiler" thread.  But, yes, there is a thread for people to post if they heard stuff at one of the listening parties.  So if you heard it at a listening party, you can say that and post there.  If you have a promo copy, you can say that and post here or there.  If neither of the above apply to you, you are not authorized to have heard it, so if you post that you have heard it without clarifying that it is from one of those two types of sources, we will assume you are posting from information learned from a leak, and will take appropriate steps to moderate such posts.
:huckleberry:

Implode

Bosk, seeing as how you have to do all this moderating on spoilerous information and have contact with band management, do you get any sort of advance copy?

rumborak

I think he said at some point that he got a partial album.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

thosava

Quote from: pcs90 on January 27, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: rumborak on January 27, 2016, 11:58:11 AM
Nah ,sorry, but the majority of the perceived effect is placebo. People know it's the HDTracks beforehand, so they are convinced it's better.
I completely disagree. The first time I heard samples of the HD version of DT12, I did not know it was the HD version, and it sounded much better...not just because the volume is turned down.

I can hear a relatively large difference even when i adjust the volumes as equal as i can. It's just a lot less straining to listen to, and i can hear more detail.

CodyWanKenobi

My latest concept album "III: The Sparrow & The Architect" is out now!
"IV: Timber" coming soon!
linktree = STARCOMMANDStudios

Peter Mc

I thought this was the official DT forum so can totally understand emtee thought he was doing the right thing in letting you guys know about leaks. Definitely doesn't seem like a guy who'd be trying to promote the actual leak.

goo-goo

Quote from: Peter Mc on January 27, 2016, 01:08:26 PM
I thought this was the official DT forum so can totally understand emtee thought he was doing the right thing in letting you guys know about leaks. Definitely doesn't seem like a guy who'd be trying to promote the actual leak.

Yep, definitely not emtee. He also posts in another forum and doesn't stir up stuff. I don't think he was promoting the leak either.

RoadTrain_of Thought

Having JLB on speed dial would have been convenient for a certain activity involving lyrics that took place yesterday.

As I Am

Quote from: goo-goo on January 27, 2016, 01:25:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Mc on January 27, 2016, 01:08:26 PM

Yep, definitely not emtee. He also posts in another forum and doesn't stir up stuff. I don't think he was promoting the leak either.

Chalk me up being behind emtee 100%

Milzinga

Quote from: rumborak on January 27, 2016, 11:58:11 AM
Nah ,sorry, but the majority of the perceived effect is placebo. People know it's the HDTracks beforehand, so they are convinced it's better.

I completely disagree. HDTracks makes a large difference, the mastering itself is typically different. I don't argue the 24/96hz rate difference as I believe that can be placebo and more often than not people can't tell the difference in the bit and sample rates, but HDTracks can and does make a huge difference. Just listen to DT12 and it's easily noticeable.

RoeDent

The MetalSucks video review made me  :lol.

The prospect of "real organ" has got me excited. I assume "real organ" in this case to mean a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Which produces an extraordinary and epic sound. Also, I hope the 2112 comparisons will die down by other elements in the story. Unless it's exactly like 2112 (Priests, guy discovers a guitar in a waterfall cave, you know the drill), it doesn't deserve the dismissive comparisons.

While I'm here too, am I allowed to ask what the first line in the chorus of Moment of Betrayal is? "[unknown]/secret soul [or song?]/moment of betrayal..."

pcs90

Quote from: RoeDent on January 27, 2016, 02:23:13 PM
The prospect of "real organ" has got me excited. I assume "real organ" in this case to mean a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Which produces an extraordinary and epic sound.
Real Hammond B3 organ too!

DarkLord_Lalinc

Jordan is known to play with his massive organ from time to time.

The Trooper

Screw the album.I want Bosk vs. Hef internal emails. That would be PRICELESS! :metal On that note. This album rules.

Kotowboy

pcs90

Quote from: DarkLord_Lalinc on January 27, 2016, 02:26:27 PM
Jordan is known to play with his massive organ from time to time.
"And in the right hand I've got a massive organ!" :lol

mike099

Quote from: rab7 on January 27, 2016, 12:27:50 PM
Quote from: mike099 on January 27, 2016, 12:25:47 PM

What did he say?

The guy conducting the interview mentioned wanting to see the show if DT came to town.  Labrie spoke about the band enjoying the last southern tour and looking forward to coming back.  He basically opened the door to the possibility.

The Trooper

Quote from: Kotowboy on January 27, 2016, 02:31:01 PM
It's not out yet. How do you know?
Legally thru proper and official people. I don't nor respect any other way of getting music, film etc. 

TH1RT3EN

While I'm here too, am I allowed to ask what the first line in the chorus of Moment of Betrayal is? "[unknown]/secret soul [or song?]/moment of betrayal..."

Blob said it's "Burning rose / Secrets told". I first heard it as "sold", but he said he got it from the official lyrics.

Hanz Gruber

Quote from: The Trooper on January 27, 2016, 02:33:58 PM
Quote from: Kotowboy on January 27, 2016, 02:31:01 PM
It's not out yet. How do you know?
Legally thru proper and official people. I don't nor respect any other way of getting music, film etc.

I agree.  I always buy. (I do listen early on occasions for certain bands that I am really into.)   I always buy the physical releases though.  Not big on digital.  Support bands if you are a fan

noxon

Quote from: TH1RT3EN on January 27, 2016, 02:50:03 PM

Blob said it's "Burning rose / Secrets told". I first heard it as "sold", but he said he got it from the official lyrics.

hadi-persian

so ! now i am listening to the act 1. now im listening A Savior In The Square

Paintbox

Guys can anyone confirm John's doing an AMA on reddit on the 29th?

hadi-persian

when your time has come time lenghth is 4:19 and in the 4th time u can hear the crowd hands and then playing jordan keyboards.the song start with major chords

bosk1

Quote from: hadi-persian on January 27, 2016, 02:57:35 PM
so ! now i am listening to the act 1. now im listening A Savior In The Square

Sweet.  Where'd you get it?

Podaar

hadi-persian

in the 2:44 jp playing solo with wah pedal and use from SUS/Minor and major scales

TH1RT3EN

Quote from: noxon on January 27, 2016, 02:55:04 PM
Quote from: TH1RT3EN on January 27, 2016, 02:50:03 PM

Ohhh, that really clears things up! Thanks a lot, noxon!