News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

How do you pronounce "kibosh"?

Started by Sir GuitarCozmo, January 24, 2017, 05:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you pronounce "kibosh"?

KY-bosh
16 (55.2%)
ka-BOSH
12 (41.4%)
Kevin Moore put the kibosh on being open
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Sir GuitarCozmo

I've heard this said both ways.  The "ka" in option 2 is pronounced like "kazoo".

Stadler

I think it's sort of the second version, but more like ki-BOSH.   I usually pronounce it exaggeratedly, like in the cartoons "KEE-bosh") but I don't put that out as the best official pronunciation. 

Elite

Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

hefdaddy42

I have always pronounced it KY-bosh, but I have no idea if that is correct.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

King Postwhore

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 24, 2017, 06:08:05 AM
I have always pronounced it KY-bosh, but I have no idea if that is correct.

Ditto.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Bolsters

I don't think I've heard it pronounced any other way but the first.
Bolsters™

BlobVanDam

I don't pronounce it either way, because it's not a word I have ever used or would ever use. I think I've maybe heard it more often the first way, but it's not a word I've heard often enough to care either way how someone pronounces it.

black_biff_stadler

I've literally only heard ka-BOSH until reading this thread. Chris Bosh would also be acceptable.

bosk1

PowerSlave

Hyperplex

I've heard both. For some reason i like KY-bosh more, but I have no reason for that. I know Al Michaels says ki-BOSH on some of the Sunday Night Football telecasts, but an old boss I had said KY-bosh. I honeslty haven't a clue because I don't really use it much myself.

jasc15

Even though Seinfeld says otherwise, I say it ka-bosh.

T-ski

Hyperplex

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

King Postwhore

And you guys make fun of the Boston accent. :lol

Wickid Pissa!
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Samsara

Quote from: bosk1 on January 24, 2017, 08:16:54 AM
ka-BOSK!!!

Really?  :lol

Im putting the ka-bosk on all that cold medicine you are likely taking...

TAC

I'm pretty sure I've never actually said this word.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: DTwwbwMP on October 10, 2024, 11:26:46 AMDISAPPOINTED.. I hoped for something more along the lines of ADTOE.

hefdaddy42

Kotowboy

Kye Bosh.

Never once heard it said any other way.

rumborak

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 24, 2017, 12:28:12 PM
koo-pon

Short of the French pronunciation of the word (since that's the origin), that's the closest approximation.

XJDenton

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

splent

splent

DebraKadabra

Architeuthis

I always thought it was Kai-bosh...