News:

Track-by-track video for Fall Into the Light:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezfzdMpRc0

Main Menu

Drive in movies

Started by splent, April 17, 2016, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been to a drive in movie?

Yes, I have several times quite recently
6 (15%)
I have but not for a very long time.
20 (50%)
Never but I want to
6 (15%)
Never and I don't care
7 (17.5%)
I have occassionally in the last few years.
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

splent

My family and I went to a drive in movie tonite. The theater just opened for the season so they are only open on the weekends until kids get out of school. It was jungle book and zootopia back to back... $15 for a carload. For a double feature that's good. We left
During zootopia because the kid was falling asleep and so was I because I have to get ready for work in a few hours.

Anyways, got to thinking. Anyone else frequent drive ins? We try to go at least once a year. We actually live near two of them, as there's one in West Chicago and one McHenry (both in IL). I love being able to set up lawn chairs and open up the back of my car, wrap up in blankets, and watch a movie.

Cool Chris

Used to go as a kid sometimes, there was one close to our house. The only movie I recall seeing was Empire Strikes Back, but I was too young to remember anything other than the excitement of a SW follow-up. It closed down many years ago. Only went once as an adult, maybe 15 years ago. Haven't been to one since.  Now I want to see if there is one open by me.

T-ski

last summer was the first time I experienced going to a drive-in while on vacation with the wife and kid. I'm now looking for options to do it again this summer.

it's retro fun at its finest.    :corn

I recommend everyone try once.

Chino

When I was living near UCONN, I went all the time. Two movies for $10, and you can bring a cooler full of beer. Can't beat that.

El Barto

We'd occasionally go when I was a wee lad. There hasn't been a drive-in here in decades. The one we went to was great. They'd have the PG movies in the middle screen and the other two would show more adult fair. Great for kids in the backseat.

King Postwhore

We go once a year. I love going. So damn hard to stay awake for the second movie.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

splent

Quote from: El Barto on April 18, 2016, 08:49:43 AM
We'd occasionally go when I was a wee lad. There hasn't been a drive-in here in decades. The one we went to was great. They'd have the PG movies in the middle screen and the other two would show more adult fair. Great for kids in the backseat.

I just checked out drive-ins.com for you, there are a couple not TOO far from you if you'd be willing to drive for an hour or so... one in Tyler, one in Granbury. According to the site they are both open. Looks like the Granbury one has been there for decades.

splent

Quote from: Cool Chris on April 17, 2016, 10:21:55 PM
Used to go as a kid sometimes, there was one close to our house. The only movie I recall seeing was Empire Strikes Back, but I was too young to remember anything other than the excitement of a SW follow-up. It closed down many years ago. Only went once as an adult, maybe 15 years ago. Haven't been to one since.  Now I want to see if there is one open by me.

https://www.drive-ins.com

Check that out. Make sure when you search the database you choose open theaters only.

mike099

This thread brings back memories of childhood and teen years.  As a teen, I remember watching Carrie at the Drive Inn.  Great movie to see with your girlfriend.  As a kid, we had a small playground at the very front of the screen.  The swings were a blast. 

FreezingPoint

I went to the one in West Chicago just last year. It was my first time going to a drive-in, but I thought it was a lot of fun. Bring snacks and drinks and watch a couple of movies, how can you beat that? I wouldn't do it all the time, would lean towards an every-once-in-a-while thing. I was surprised at how packed it was though! Lines and lines of cars to get in.

cramx3

There are no drive ins by me anymore, but there was one close to home when I was a young kid.  I remember seeing the first Batman movie there with my parents.  Don't recall much else honestly, I was pretty young.  That spot is now where the local standard movie theater and costco are.

Implode

There's still one about 15 minutes from my house, but I haven't been there in years. I'd love to go back some time!

bout to crash

I usually go once or twice a season. The one near me is a triple feature for $8/each and another one recently opened that I haven't been to yet.

Cram, I know it's a little bit of a hike but you should go to the one in Warwick... and drive Clinton Road while you're at it if you've never done that :D

Accelerando

There was one between Orlando and Tampa...in Lakeland I think...that I went to all the time in college. It was a great, unique way to view a movie. Still I haven't found one in LA yet since I moved out here, but I've been to the Hollywood Graveyard movies. I can never watch Blazing Saddles the same way again  :lol

Calvin6s

Went as a little kid all the time.  It was great.  There was a large playground by the middle snack hut, so if you didn't like the 1 of the 2 movies, you could go play there.  Can't even imagine that now.  For some reason, standing in that snack line was fun.  Everything was fun, including hiding in the back of the Suburban type vehicle under some blankets.  I don't even think they charged for kids, so I think the parents just let me and my friends think we were getting something for free because we were "slick".

Around 11, I started going to the walk-in theater more.  It was a bigger event to go with friends "by yourself".  Last time I think I went was probably within a day or two of getting my license.  Seemed like a no brainer.  The movie experience itself was bad.  Didn't remember the video/audio experience being so horrible.

Around that time, they started closing them all.  They became swap meet places.  Moved recently and there is one very close.  Didn't even think they existed any more.  I thought about going, but it really isn't something I really want to do when all is said and done.

cramx3

Quote from: bout to crash on April 18, 2016, 07:38:44 PM
Cram, I know it's a little bit of a hike but you should go to the one in Warwick... and drive Clinton Road while you're at it if you've never done that :D

Is that something from Weird NJ? If so, that would be fun.  :corn

The Trooper

Quote from: bout to crash on April 18, 2016, 07:38:44 PM
I usually go once or twice a season. The one near me is a triple feature for $8/each and another one recently opened that I haven't been to yet.

I will second that. It is the only one in the Joisey area now. There use to be several when I was a kid. and the ride up there is nice as was said. It is a road known for odd" tales lol

axeman90210

I'd like to check one out one of these weekends, seems like it would be fun (especially as previously mentioned with a cooler full of beers).

King Postwhore

I might do that with Civil War.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

The Trooper

Quote from: axeman90210 on April 19, 2016, 06:14:17 AM
I'd like to check one out one of these weekends, seems like it would be fun (especially as previously mentioned with a cooler full of beers).

https://www.warwickdrivein.com/news.htm

axeman90210

Quote from: kingshmegland on April 19, 2016, 06:21:53 AM

Now you just need to snag yourself some Heady Topper or Tree House cans and you'll be set.

ReaperKK

I went once with my parents a long time ago. It was at least 20 years ago. I remember watching coneheads there.

King Postwhore

Quote from: axeman90210 on April 19, 2016, 06:42:30 AM

Now you just need to snag yourself some Heady Topper or Tree House cans and you'll be set.

Easier to take a stroll to Trillium.  BTW I'm meeting up with Jackie in June in VT.  I think she needs to experience Hill Farmstead.

axeman90210

Quote from: kingshmegland on April 19, 2016, 08:45:18 AM
Quote from: axeman90210 on April 19, 2016, 06:42:30 AM

Easier to take a stroll to Trillium.  BTW I'm meeting up with Jackie in June in VT.  I think she needs to experience Hill Farmstead.

When in June, I'm actually planning a long weekend up there with my sister and cousins.

King Postwhore

June 18th.  Make it so #1.

axeman90210

Quote from: kingshmegland on April 19, 2016, 09:00:02 AM
June 18th.  Make it so #1.

That's actually the weekend we're going to be there. Plan right now is to leave NJ on Thursday the 16th, and then hit Tree House on our way to Waterbury. Spend basically Thursday night and Friday in Waterbury (with I think a little trip to visit Otter Creek), and then get to Hill for opening on Saturday and spend the rest of the day at Parker Pie.

King Postwhore

Let me PM her on that.  Sounds like a meet up!

splent

STOP MAKING ME JEALOUS.

Now I want to go to VT on June 18th.

cramx3

Now we're all coming June 18th!

King Postwhore

splent

15 or so hours.... GRsjdfns,afskl

cramx3

Quote from: splent on April 19, 2016, 01:18:28 PM
15 or so hours.... GRsjdfns,afskl

7 listens of The Astonishing and you are there!

Orbert

Splent, your poll is flawed.  There's no middle ground between "Yes, I have several times quite recently" and "I have but not for a very long time".

We were on vacation a couple years ago, and there was a drive-in near the town where we were staying.  So we went.  I don't think that qualifies as "several times quite recently" but the last time before that was at least 20 years ago.

Anyway, it was groovy.  The audio was on a closed loop, so you tune the radio in your car to a certain frequency and listen to the movie.  The last time we went to a drive-in before that, it was still a crappy metal speaker that hung on a pole next to your car, which you could hang inside your car if you wanted, but either way, the sound was really bad.  At least closed loop FM has made the sound better.  We saw Brave and Ice Age: Continental Drift.

splent

There I added an option for you.  :P

Cascade is like that, it's on a closed loop through the radio. What we do is open the trunk and then open at least one of the passenger doors (we tried doing both last night but we were next to an open space and the anal security guy made us close it to keep the space next to us open)... but that way we get surround sound!!! :)

Orbert

Quote from: splent on April 19, 2016, 04:57:58 PM
There I added an option for you.  :P

Too late, I already voted!!

:xbones

But thanks for the effort.