Saxon- Dogs of War

Queensryche- Operation:Mindcrime

M.A.R.S.- Project:Driver

Samsara

Red Dragon Cartel - Red Dragon Cartel
Kingcrow - The Persistence
Metal Church - XI

Crow

it's good but it's waaayyy too long. a fair number of tracks that felt unnecessary
it feels like this album is just a response to the negative reception towards their last one. too short? make it almost 80 minutes. too stripped back? make every song try to go full throttle (except the two at the end). too personal? here's an entirely new concept arc. i do like it but it feels like a really safe attempt to win back the fans

Cyclopssss

jjrock88

Kiss- Revenge

W.A.S.P- The Crimson Idol

Train of Naught

Release day my dudes

Black Peaks: Heavier than Statues for sure. And after one listen I already know I like it better, riffs are tasty and vocalist outdid himself (especially on Home holy shit).
Gunship: Hmmm, very long :lol but has some really good stuff. Maybe I'll like the whole more on repeated listens but right now I'd give it a solid 3.5/5 with 4.5/5 potential if the lesser songs were cut (track 3 is such a buzzkill man). The cover of Time After Time is great and the album ends great with the run of last 4 songs as well, so still really promising.

Probably going to check out the new C&C if I ever feel like it too :lol never was too much into them but if it's anything like Good Apollo IV I'm down

Lowdz

Quote from: jjrock88 on October 05, 2018, 06:55:40 AM
Kiss- Revenge

W.A.S.P- The Crimson Idol

:justjen

Def Leppard- High n Dry

Iron Maiden- Killers

twosuitsluke

Quote from: Train of Naught on October 05, 2018, 08:05:52 AM
Release day my dudes

Black Peaks: Heavier than Statues for sure. And after one listen I already know I like it better, riffs are tasty and vocalist outdid himself (especially on Home holy shit).

Hell yeah! I already had a feeling I'd like this way more as I liked the singles more than pretty much anything on their debut. You're right about Home, Can't Sleep is also especially tasty.

I've listened twice already (along with the new C&C), those two are almost certainly top 5 material  :metal
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Crow

new black peaks: pivoting away from a lot of the more interesting aspects of their sound, imo. wasn't bad but i don't think i'll like it as much as statues
new gunship: same issue as their debut, where there's like one really amazing single but a lot of the album feels samey and this time it's also too long
new cursive: hmm. i don't know. i think there might be something here but at the same time it might just be meh. needs at least another listen

Big Hath

Zydar

I'm listening to the new Blackfield compilation - it can serve as my introduction to the band.

home

definitely at the top of their discography for me  :angel:

jjrock88

Joe Satriani- Surfing with the Alien

Lowdz

Stratovarius- Enigma: Intermission 2

Judas Priest- Point Of Entry

Crow

so uhh, this sounds like opeth
like, the harsh vocals aren't nearly as good but basically everything else is opeth-y as heck
i dig it but it's pretty much plagiarism

twosuitsluke

Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

jjrock88

Zydar

I'm revisiting DT after a substantial time off from them (something like a year or two). Last night it was Awake and now I've started Falling Into Infinity.

Ahh... classic DT is where it's at for me (1992-2003).

Polarbear

Quote from: Zydar on October 07, 2018, 07:04:54 AM
I'm revisiting DT after a substantial time off from them (something like a year or two). Last night it was Awake and now I've started Falling Into Infinity.

Ahh... classic DT is where it's at for me (1992-2003).

Me too! Catching up with some DT tunes, in anticipation of the new album. Listened Misunderstood for the first time since forever, and rediscovered what a great song it is.

Also Gunship - Dark All Day  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Lowdz

Triumph - Progression Of Power

Treat - Coup de Gras

Big Hath

mike099

Quote from: Parama on October 06, 2018, 02:05:21 PM

so uhh, this sounds like opeth
like, the harsh vocals aren't nearly as good but basically everything else is opeth-y as heck
i dig it but it's pretty much plagiarism

Yes, that first song after the album intro sounds almost exactly like an Opeth song.  I listened to the whole album and I like it and may purchase.

mike099

Quote from: twosuitsluke on October 05, 2018, 12:40:13 PM
Release day my dudes

Hell yeah! I already had a feeling I'd like this way more as I liked the singles more than pretty much anything on their debut. You're right about Home, Can't Sleep is also especially tasty.

I've listened twice already (along with the new C&C), those two are almost certainly top 5 material  :metal

Really liking this band.  This thread is one of the best on the forum.  Introduces you to bands you may never have heard before.

Max Kuehnau

DT12, before that was Fire Garden by Steve Vai (one of his best albums IMHO)
All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am

jjrock88

Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force

Steve Vai- Passion & Warfare

Lowdz

Train of Naught

Anyone that's looking for a really good new Karnivool album, this is pretty much exactly that even though it's a completely different band. The similarity is uncanny and it feels kind of awkward how much they sound alike, but Karnivool is seemingly not putting out new stuff yet and no matter the similarities, this is just an awesome album.

Quote from: mike099 on October 08, 2018, 03:49:34 AM
Quote from: twosuitsluke on October 05, 2018, 12:40:13 PM
Release day my dudes

Really liking this band.  This thread is one of the best on the forum.  Introduces you to bands you may never have heard before.
Definitely dude. Black Peaks are amazing and underrated AF, love reading about even just one person turned on to them on here. I've discovered my fair share of albums on here too!

home

Woha Train seems like i really need to listen to both of those albums asap!  :metal

This is crushing. damn.

Crow

Crow

so this was on my list of stuff i checked out before and wanted to revisit (which is big) and i don't remember it at all from the first listen but DAMN this is good stuff??? kinda somewhere between melodic death & black metal but pretty bombastic in tone too, i was kinda subconsciously rockin' out to it lol

definitely one to look at further & probably follow up on

jjrock88

Bentower

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (Live)

Still falls short of the heights of SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever as far as I'm concerned, but interpreting it this time as dealing with mankind's ongoing/future struggles with a changing climate is giving it a new level of relatability. I don't know if that's at all what it's actually about, though.