News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Treasure Hunt

Started by Freddy Jacobi, July 11, 2018, 09:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeyd23

Quote from: YtseJamittaja on July 18, 2018, 08:22:44 AM
This maybe is wrong place to say this but DT's merch have been really poor and uninteresting after MP left. They should see what for example Animals as Leaders, Periphery and Haken sell for fans.

Just curious because I don't know - what are those bands doing better in terms of merch? Different types of merch or just stuff you like better?

Ben_Jamin

How bout some Socks...haha

pg1067

This necklace doesn't have anything to do with the treasure hunt, does it?

robwebster

Quote from: pg1067 on July 18, 2018, 10:00:01 AM
Doubt it.

Elite

You have to buy one to see the secret password on the side and you need all 200 of them to complete the puzzle.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

rumborak

Skeever

Quote from: MinistroRaven on July 18, 2018, 05:06:04 AM

I got that email from the official DT store

My first thought... if you're old enough to afford that thing, you're too old to be wearing it  :biggrin:

MinistroRaven

Quote from: pg1067 on July 18, 2018, 10:00:01 AM

The band were given HINTS of what it could be over their social media, maybe it has to do with the hunt maybe not, I would use the numbers in the picture as some kind of password though 001/200, who knows, the Jacobi guy said to be alert of social media

cramx3

I almost feel like anything is fair game with DT's social media, so while the answer isn't know, it shouldn't be discarded IMO

SystematicThought

If you had told me 3-4 years ago that we would be questioning whether a social media post has anything to do with a treasure hunt leading up to a new album, I would have said we were crazy.

They've really amped up my excitement level for the album with the interactivity. Kinda makes me think this would have been a fun way to unveil details leading up to The Astonishing, like a mystery thing. Actually, when we had to sign up by choosing a side (GNEA or Ravenskill), I thought we were going to be doing something similar to what we're doing now.

Robo4900

RaiseTheKnife

The 159th pre-order will get a hint??

lucasembarbosa

159 days counting from today --> December 24th --> JP is Santa on steroids (or the birthday boy himself) --> New single as Christmas gift

nattmorker

Quote from: Robo4900 on July 18, 2018, 05:24:38 PM
Freddy has Tweeted!!

Quote from: Freddy Jacobi on Twitter159

Viewing the numbers upside down, as in a calculator, is "GSI"... i don't know  ???

gzarruk

Quote from: lucasembarbosa on July 18, 2018, 07:07:15 PM
159 days counting from today --> December 24th --> JP is Santa on steroids (or the birthday boy himself) --> New single as Christmas gift

6:00 on a Christmas morning. I'd say it's good reasoning.

erwinrafael

Well, Awake is the next album so 6:00 on a Christmas morning does fit.

erwinrafael

This is turning out to be the test that stumped us all.

liran95

He tweeted again!

"65"

Edit:
I noticed that 159-65 = 94, which is the year Awake was released... I wonder if it means anything  ???

lucasembarbosa

Quote from: liran95 on July 19, 2018, 02:07:26 AM
He tweeted again!

"65"

Edit:
I noticed that 159-65 = 94, which is the year Awake was released... I wonder if it means anything  ???

Of course it does. According to the given sequence, with the titles of each new "step" linked to the studio albums chronologically arranged, Awake is the next one. Maybe the "94" is a piece of the next password. Who knows? Let the Sherlocks out there figure it out :metal

Blake

I noticed that 159 and 65 are both permutations of sections of the Vail Renovations phone number, i.e. (518) 519-0756. That could be part of they key to decode the next password.

liran95

Another one!

This time "85"

AngelBack

Quote from: Blake on July 19, 2018, 03:47:49 AM
I noticed that 159 and 65 are both permutations of sections of the Vail Renovations phone number, i.e. (518) 519-0756. That could be part of they key to decode the next password.

and 85 fits from the area code, anyone called it again?

AngelBack

Called it, same message as before.

liran95

Maybe he'll give another 2 digits and it will form a new phone number... I guess it's possible since the first 3 digits came together (and kinda fits the format of an area code).

theanalogkid7

Quote from: liran95 on July 19, 2018, 06:15:24 AM
Maybe he'll give another 2 digits and it will form a new phone number... I guess it's possible since the first 3 digits came together (and kinda fits the format of an area code).

It's possible, but 159 couldn't be the area code.  I did take the phone number we currently have and replaced the numbers with the new ones from the tweets and came away with: redacted.  I don't think it's anything, but I figured I'd at least document that here.

liran95

Maybe someone should try to call this number: (518) 159-6585.

I took the original area code and used the new numbers as the number itself.

Worth a shot I guess..

pg1067

Quote from: liran95 on July 19, 2018, 07:07:33 AM
Maybe someone should try to call this number: (518) 159-6585.

I took the original area code and used the new numbers as the number itself.

Worth a shot I guess..

I called that number and got the "your call cannot be completed as dialed" message (not surprising since North American phone numbers can only begin with numbers between 2-9).

I reversed the number and called and got a simple voice mail message that said, "Hello, please leave a message after the tone."

YtseJamittaja

Quote from: mikeyd23 on July 18, 2018, 08:28:06 AM
Quote from: YtseJamittaja on July 18, 2018, 08:22:44 AM
This maybe is wrong place to say this but DT's merch have been really poor and uninteresting after MP left. They should see what for example Animals as Leaders, Periphery and Haken sell for fans.

Just curious because I don't know - what are those bands doing better in terms of merch? Different types of merch or just stuff you like better?

DT has just black basic t-shirts with really unintrested images printed on them. Those band I mentioned sell different color shirts, more fitted shirts and those band shirts even doesn't look like band shirt at times, it's more like a brand. I like it better, I know that there are people who like to have a shirt with just an album cover on it but I don't.

Blake

We have a 4th number. I like the idea that this could be an ip address (159.65.85.240). It appears to be Google if you put that in a browser, but actually it's serving a page that redirects to google with a meta tag:

(16:14) bfoster:~$ curl -i 159.65.85.240
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.10.3 (Ubuntu)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:14:06 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 71
Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:56:44 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
ETag: "5b50ecfc-47"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=https://www.google.com/" />

The last line is the response body. Also note that according to the last-modified header, this page was modified today, shortly before Freddy's last tweet.

If we do a reverse DNS lookup on that ip address, we find that it points to hammern.com.

(16:14) bfoster:~$ dig +short -x 159.65.85.240
hammern.com.

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Another_Won

Quote from: Blake on July 19, 2018, 01:17:06 PM
We have a 4th number. I like the idea that this could be an ip address (159.65.85.240). It appears to be Google if you put that in a browser, but actually it's serving a page that redirects to google with a meta tag:

(16:14) bfoster:~$ curl -i 159.65.85.240
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.10.3 (Ubuntu)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 20:14:06 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 71
Last-Modified: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:56:44 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
ETag: "5b50ecfc-47"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=https://www.google.com/" />

The last line is the response body. Also note that according to the last-modified header, this page was modified today, shortly before Freddy's last tweet.

If we do a reverse DNS lookup on that ip address, we find that it points to hammern.com.

(16:14) bfoster:~$ dig +short -x 159.65.85.240
hammern.com.

I'm not sure what to make of that.
The whois for hammern.com doesn't have any interesting except this:

Registrant State/Province: Buskerud

Which is in Norway as I understand it.  Probably nothing.

Also, the IP is in the UK.

Freddy Jacobi

While I do enjoy you trying to piece together the information I give you - I would rather like for you not to prod and poke into personal information of innocent bystanders...

Blake

Quote from: Freddy Jacobi on July 19, 2018, 01:51:30 PM
While I do enjoy you trying to piece together the information I give you - I would rather like for you not to prod and poke into personal information of innocent bystanders...

I assume this is Freddyese for "It's not an ip address, don't poke it."

lucasembarbosa

Geez, you guys can't keep the proposed pace for like 5 seconds ...

Hi, Noxon

Freddy Jacobi

Quote from: Blake on July 19, 2018, 01:53:46 PM
I assume this is Freddyese for "It's not an ip address, don't poke it."

What if it's something that's not connected to my hunt at all? That's my point. Be careful with what information you guys are spreading around, as it may not be connected to the game. That's what I mean by innocent bystanders. Say you got a treasure map, and you read it wrong. You started digging in the yard of some old bloke, and before you know it, his entire yard is just a bunch of holes. Poor bloke knew nothing of what hit him.

TAC

But having a treasure hunt with so much cryptic information with fake websites, who knows what is off limits and what is not.

One guy blows the whole thing up, and now there's something personal involved. I mean, I don't mean to sound like "that guy", but this is inviting it, frankly. DT fans are very smart and will figure it out. But like MP and the SOA member reveals, don't tease it and then get upset that the mystery was solved.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol