News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)

Started by The Walrus, August 01, 2019, 05:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorPeart

Not to get too political, but I think they made it clear they aren't going after regular conservatives. They clearly stated 'alt-right'. I don't view the alt-right as regular conservatives. Although, I was at a family gathering on the 4th and some of the stuff coming out my wife's relatives mouths was shocking to me. I thought I was watching people doing a parody but they were deadly serious with their absolute nonsense.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Jamesman42

Just finished season 2. This was a great season after a slow start. This show is excellent.

The way Butcher talks so serious is one of my favorite things.

I am curious about what season 3 will bring. Victoria seems to be the next thing. I assume she blew up the church leader's head.

I also am curious what happened to the girl that escaped the ward, the one who could blow people's heads up. Or is she linked to Victoria somehow? I might have missed something or maybe it'll revealed in season 3.
\o\ lol /o/

Adami

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 09, 2024, 08:55:54 AM
Just finished season 2. This was a great season after a slow start. This show is excellent.

The way Butcher talks so serious is one of my favorite things.

I am curious about what season 3 will bring. Victoria seems to be the next thing. I assume she blew up the church leader's head.

I also am curious what happened to the girl that escaped the ward, the one who could blow people's heads up. Or is she linked to Victoria somehow? I might have missed something or maybe it'll revealed in season 3.

Glad you're digging it!

I'd strongly suggest, after season 3, but before season 4, watching season 1 of Gen V.
www. fanticide.bandcamp . com

Jamesman42

I will do that (if I remember, but I should)!
\o\ lol /o/

jingle.boy

Quote from: Adami on July 09, 2024, 09:07:34 AM
Glad you're digging it!

I'd strongly suggest, after season 3, but before season 4, watching season 1 of Gen V.

Absolutely a must
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

The Letter M

I watched the penultimate episode of the season this morning before work and WOW, what an episode. Lots of twists and turns that I didn't see coming, especially concerning A-Train and Kimiko, and that ending with Annie....did NOT see that coming.

I have a feeling I know what's going to happen to A-Train in the finale, but I hope it doesn't end that way.

-Marc.

ErHaO

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 09, 2024, 09:43:26 AM
Absolutely a must

Agreed. Was really surprised with gen V. Up there with the best of The Boys.

Adami

I really dug the episode. Though not without its issues.

Spoilers just in case...

Why was Web-Weaver confessing to Homelander? For a fix? I was confused as to the actual motivation there. Felt random.
Really? Jan 6th? You're using that specific date?
Deep's arc from tortured soul to full on sociopath has mostly been well done, so while I always want redemption, I appreciate this one making sense.

NOIR CAN FLY?!?!  Are they gonna go similar to the comics where (instead of being a clone) he has the same powers as Homelander?

Also yea, A-Train dies next episode. No escaping it. And I'm fine with it. Die a hero.

Jamesman42

S3E5 - Kimiko starts talking and it goes into a musical bit - what??? :lol

I am glad I was not under an influence for that part.
\o\ lol /o/

soupytwist

Quote from: Adami on July 11, 2024, 01:17:39 PM
Also yea, A-Train dies next episode. No escaping it. And I'm fine with it. Die a hero.

Yeah.  As much as I love this show the finale of season 3 played it way to safe, this time they need to follow though.

Lax

I love the boys but am really torn, a little the same that with invincible...

On one hand, it's crazy and fun, especially finales etc...It's gore and hilarious.
On the other hand there are bad episodes, like the first 3 of the latest season.
And on top of that there is wokism (even if the latest episodes are going backwards).

Don't get me wrong, I'm understanding and encouraging righteous fights, but as a french 42 years old guy, I'm fed up with shows altered by those (as much as I'm fed up of politics or whatever).
I mean we seem to be a big step in advance about sexual identity and taste tolerance, acceptation, plus we don't have the history of slavery, north and south stuff...
And yet, from marvel disney to the boys, it has to be the themes.

So right now I'm torn because the comics was gruesome and fun, it would have been perfect if it contained some brains, but I don't like when the series is going too far from the comic.
The connection between gen V and the main serie is cool, even if the actor's death is a bummer.

XJDenton

The comic's only redeeming feature is that it isn't the worst thing that Garth Ennis has written.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

ErHaO

I thought this episode was really good. Perfect pacing, some unexpected moments and a lot of good character moments with emotional weight. Hopefully the season sticks the landing.

Lonk

I'm enjoying this season so far, but the writing quality is noticeably lower than previous seasons, IMO.

jingle.boy

Quote from: ErHaO on July 12, 2024, 12:39:49 PM
I thought this episode was really good. Perfect pacing, some unexpected moments and a lot of good character moments with emotional weight. Hopefully the season sticks the landing.

Agreed.  I'm kinda disappointed there's been no Soldier Boy, but I suppose anything is possible for the finale.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Jamesman42

Finished season 3 and have Gen V geared up before I head into season 4!
\o\ lol /o/

The Letter M

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 13, 2024, 09:08:38 AM
Finished season 3 and have Gen V geared up before I head into season 4!

Enjoy! The Season 4 finale drops next Thursday so maybe you'll catch up in time for that! Then you'll be caught up in the waiting game for Gen V s2 and the finale season of The Boys proper, just like the rest of us.  :lol

-Marc.

jingle.boy

Loved that S3 finale.

I found GenV started slow, but it picked up after a couple episodes, and was "can't wait" every week after that.

Jamesman42

Quote from: The Letter M on July 13, 2024, 10:09:38 AM
Enjoy! The Season 4 finale drops next Thursday so maybe you'll catch up in time for that! Then you'll be caught up in the waiting game for Gen V s2 and the finale season of The Boys proper, just like the rest of us.  :lol

-Marc.

I'm so glad I am a teacher on summer break to catch up fast :lol
\o\ lol /o/

ProfessorPeart

Quote from: Adami on July 11, 2024, 01:17:39 PM

Really? Jan 6th? You're using that specific date?

Had to look it up to confirm, but the election is always certified by Congress on that date. I could see the winner holding some sort of celebration on that day. Yeah, it now holds other meanings, but this one does not bother me in the scope of the show.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

Adami

Quote from: ProfessorPeart on July 13, 2024, 02:11:20 PM
Had to look it up to confirm, but the election is always certified by Congress on that date. I could see the winner holding some sort of celebration on that day. Yeah, it now holds other meanings, but this one does not bother me in the scope of the show.

That's a very fair point and I also forgot that detail haha. I think if they weren't using so many other direct and unimaginative references, I wouldn't have cared. But you're right. So I can give that a pass.

Also, not this last episode, but I did find the Armie Hammer reference quite funny.

Jamesman42

Finished Gen V S1. Yeah, it was alright and got better as it went on, and it was cool to see more of the Boys universe. I did find myself not paying attention at times during the first half of the season, but it's a decent show and appreciate it. I am wondering how this will play into S4 of The Boys, which I probably start tomorrow.
\o\ lol /o/

The Letter M

Well that was quite the finale! Definitely a heavy cliffhanger and now the wait for the fifth and final season begins. I suppose Gen V s2 will be out before then? Either way, this was a packed and intense finale, there's just a lot to process for me but I like where a lot of the pieces stand for now and I can't wait to see who ends up being the real heroes at the end.

-Marc.

Adami

Great finale.

Spoilers below.

Genuinely surprised A-Train didn't show up and die. Even more genuinely surprised that I didn't realize till a minute ago and I noticed him in a youtube thing.
Seeing Butcher just go full cold murderer (even more so than before) is going to be interesting.
Killing the VP took me by surprise.
Was all of this REALLY Sage's plan or did she just take credit for everything?
Seeing the Gen V kids show up and say, as far as I remember, literally nothing was interesting. Very curious what season 2 of that will be now.
Happy to see Soldier Boy at the end. Also was that a weird riff on the Captain America theme I heard when Homelander started crying a bit over his frozen body?
Also curious what happens to Ashley.
And lastley, off the top of my head, I'm a bit disappointed in Black Noir. They seemed to be setting up some kind of moral dillema in hi but then he seems to have just gone full psycho killer at the end, which.....is a bit too generic for this show. So, I was hoping for a bit more.

Glad season 5 is the end. I am excited for how they will wrap this stuff up.

The Realm

Great finale and a few suprises. Looks like the story will continue in GenV season 2 and then into The Boys final season.

Jamesman42

I must have missed Soldier Boy in the season finale. Where was he?
\o\ lol /o/

Adami

Quote from: Jamesman42 on July 18, 2024, 04:57:30 PMI must have missed Soldier Boy in the season finale. Where was he?

Mid credits scene. 

Jamesman42

Ahh of course. I was finishing it before I had to go pick up the kids and once I saw the credits, I shut it off. 

We knew he was there, though, but seems like he will be back for S5.

Also, Kimiko was yelling "NO!" as Frenchie got lured away. That's cool.
\o\ lol /o/

Lonk

The second half of the season finale was better than the rest of the season, but it wasn't without its flaws. All in all, enjoyable.

SPOILER:

Neumann's death was cheap.

faizoff

I really enjoyed that finale. Lots of twists I didn't see coming. Setting up for a great final season, really can't wait. Gen V S2 should be fun, I really loved the first season just as much as the Boys.

Annie vs Annie fight was awesome, wished it was longer.

jingle.boy

Neumann's death .... I literally

:jawdrop:

Loved the way things all played out, and I didn't see ANY of that coming.  I thought Grace's demise was uncharacteristic.  As a CIA lifer, she had to know that forcing Ryan was literally the worst thing she could have done.

No way this was Sage's plan all along, as she said, she "pivoted", and got Singer out of the way.

Lots of loose ends to play out in S5.  I'm curious if Sage's "Phase 2" will involve undoing / fixing all of this and restoring the country ... just to see if she can.

gmillerdrake

Easily the weakest season of the series. Hopefully they can try to stick the landing with S5. clever writing has given way to tired tropes and bully pulpit activism. Yawn.

jingle.boy

Quote from: gmillerdrake on July 19, 2024, 09:43:47 PMEasily the weakest season of the series.
You're probably right, but imo, it's like having to say which is your least favorite child.  Despite S1-3 being "better", this was still a pretty good season.  The finale started off slow, but finished very strong.

Methinks you were just rubbed the wrong way by the whole political theme of the season.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 20, 2024, 03:33:12 AMMethinks you were just rubbed the wrong way by the whole political theme of the season.

Well yeah.....but probably not for the reasons you think. I just think it's extremely lazy writing.

It's one thing to want to incorporate some current state of affairs into a show in order to speak to it and try to convey a message......what they did wasn't clever....it was so exaggerated and heavy handed that it reeked of lopsided activism and it ruined the season and probably pissed off half their audience.

jingle.boy

Quote from: gmillerdrake on July 20, 2024, 06:21:11 AMWell yeah.....but probably not for the reasons you think. I just think it's extremely lazy writing.

It's one thing to want to incorporate some current state of affairs into a show in order to speak to it and try to convey a message......what they did wasn't clever....it was so exaggerated and heavy handed that it reeked of lopsided activism and it ruined the season and probably pissed off half their audience.
Everything about The Boys is exaggerated and heavy handed.  :lol